Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 : Insurgency

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...or-kage-baker/

January 16, 2010

Just this morning I received news that author Kage Baker is in hospital fighting for her life. Details here: http://tribes.tribe.net/renfairehist...d-6ed5551c4f2e. Back in July of ‘08, Kage visited this blog to participate in a fan/reader Q&A in support of her wonderful In the Garden of Iden. She’d been scheduled to come by sooner but, given the then recent passing of actor Don Davis (SG-1’s General George Hammond), she had suggested putting off the Q&A out of respect for the man and his many fans. As a result, Kage ended up having to field the many reader questions during her already busy Guest of Honor appearance at the Las Vegas Westercon – and yet was more than happy to do so. I wasn’t at all surprised given that, only months earlier, during a discussion with editor Lou Anders on his anthology Fast Forward 1: Future Fiction from the Cutting Edge, she had also made it a point to stop in and offer a special hello to Stargate fans. I found Kage incredibly thoughtful and accommodating in my admittedly brief dealings with her and would like to do anything I can to support her during this difficult time. Kage was kind enough to make time for us back then and now it’s time to make time for her. So join me in sending Kage our positive thoughts and hopes for a speedy recovery…

Emails of support will be printed and read to her immediately
      emails can be sent to: [email protected]

Letters, notes, cards and anything else you can think of can be sent to her home:
      Kage Baker
      331 Stimson, Apt. B,
      Pismo Beach CA 93449

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to Kage Baker.

Mailbag:

Luis writes: “Why did Lawren did not like the Thai Noodles??? were they to Spicy???”

Answer: Quite the opposite. He found them bland.

Taylor writes: “I was just wondering if SGU was going to be following along the lines of Stargate Atlantis’s first few seasons in regard to slowly discovering parts of the ship, repairing various systems etc, and then eventually getting in full control of the ship. Or is the discovery and/or repair of the Destiny and it’s systems going to be a long term story ark in the show?”

Answer: It will definitely be an arc that will run over several seasons – however, some mighty big discoveries upcoming…

Grapesofwraith writes: “I’m curious, what was the “Sam’s 5-Star Burger?””

Answer: I believe it was soy protein.

Pastrygirl writes: “Do you like middle eastern/persian/ etc cuisine? I don’t remember ever hearing you mention it – and I know there’s a falafel place on practically every corner in Vancouver.”

Answer: Really? Where? I know that there’s a terrific place for shawarma near Chapters on Robson but other than that, very few good middle eastern options. Believe me, I’ve looked.

Mika writes: “You must’ve had an amazing night if the service didn’t mention several paragraphs on its own…”

Answer: The, uh, service was one of the things we were warned about so we were expecting the worse. Granted, for a while early on it looked like we would never get served but eventually the waitress came over and took our order. From there it was relatively smooth sailing. Except for instances where Carl and Lawren attempted to flag down a server for a water glass refill only to have their plaintive cries go unheeded, consistently ignored as if they were a couple of boorish construction workers making catcalls at her.

Dodoalda writes: “I read somewhere, that in casting documents, was col. Young former SG leader and two members of his team were killed during a mission. Is this gonna be mentioned in the show?”

Answer: There will be a reference to a tragedy that links Young and Telford later this season.

Tina writes: “I was just wondering is there an email address where a friend could forward something on to you?”

Answer: [email protected]. He’ll make sure I get the email.

P.S. Your guesses are way off on the episode titles…

#1: INT*********

#2: AFTERMATH

#3: AWAKENINGS

#4: P********

#5: C*********
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...lsa-wood-diet/

January 17, 2010: Lose Ten Pounds in one Week on the Club Soda and Balsa Wood Diet!

Photos: Joe's mum

See, this is why I don’t offer people lifts more often. No, that’s not right. I don’t offer people lifts because I can’t be bothered to take ten minutes out of my day to help them save twenty to thirty minutes out of theirs. I also have a terrible sense of direction and often end up losing my way, driving around aimlessly, and arriving home way too late resulting in a later than usual blog entry. Tonight, I was out with my language exchange partner, Miho who, in addition to helping me practice my Japanese, administered the following “psychological” test.

You’re transporting five animals – a lion, a monkey, a cow, a horse, and a sheep – and have to drop off one of at a time along your route. List the order in which you drop them off. My response: 1. Cow (the methane factor makes this one a no brainer), 2. Sheep (an otherwise passenger who would add little to the enroute conversation), 3. Horse (I figure he’d rather walk anyway), 2. Lion (he, on the other hand, would probably have plenty of great anecdotes – or, as one actor used to say, “antidotes”), 1. Monkey (he’d keep the mood light). Anyway, according to Miho, in rating the animals you are subconsciously rating the things in life you find of greater/lesser importance. I think I know a guy who did his PhD dissertation on this very study. Anyway, my priorities in life break down thusly: Of least importance for me is money (represented by the cow) which is dead-on as I’m the type of guy who would be just as happy backpacking through a Honduran jungle as I would staying at a five-star hotel in Tokyo. No wait. I’m the opposite of that guy. Anyway, of almost equally less importance to me is love (represented by the sheep). This is no doubt the result of the fact that I have no soul, misplaced five years ago along with a pair of sunglasses. Of middling importance in my life is business (represented by the horse of course). Then, coming in a close second is, believe it or not and probably not if you’ve watched by Weird Food Purchase of the Day videos, pride (represented by the lion). Finally, at the top of my list is friends, represented by the monkey. And, given some of the people I hang out with, I can’t think of a better animal to represent (although hyenas and lemurs tie for second).

Congratulations. Several of you finally guessed the title to episode #1 of season two – and all you had to do was run through every word in the English dictionary starting with I-N-T. So the newly revised SGU second season episode list looks like this:

#1: INTERVENTION

#4: P*******

Mom’s making progress. She’s actually strolling up and down the hall like a woman half her age who also happened to break her hip.

Mailbag:

susan the tartan turtle writes: “Joe – I know that screening the series of SGU in two segments with a HUGE break in the middle is a network decision. But do you know the logic/reasoning behind such a decision?”

Answer: I believe it’s part of the network’s strategy to air original programming year-round.

Flagitous writes: “1. Two Part Question:a.) Are the gates in Universe made of Naquadah?

b.) If so, can the gates be used to find other sources of Naquadah by resonate frequencies?”

Answers: Yes, the gates in Universe are also made of naquadah. The use of gates to locate other sources of naquadah by “resonate frequences” sounds like a reference to something we’ve done in the past 16 years/325+ episodes – but it doesn’t ring a bell (although I do remember using naquadah detectors to locate source deposits.).

Flagitous also writes: “2. Do stargates use direct, gate to gate dialing all of the time, or do they sometimes use chained gate sequences like we used for the gate bridge?”

Answer: The Destiny gate dials directly to single gates. Alas, no chained gate sequence capabilities. Short of locating a power source capable of dialing back to Earth, chained gate sequences would be the only other viable means to return home.

Will answer more of your gate questions in the coming days.

Taylor writes: “Just wondering if you knew when mgm would be releasing any more of the kino webisodes?”

Answer: No idea, but I would guess somewhere in the lead-up to the second half premiere.

Bryan M. White writes: “Since you are so close to Vancouver do you or any of your staff have plans to go to the winter Olympics?”

Answer: Ironically, most of the Vancouverites are getting the hell out of town. Brad, Rob, and Paul have travel plans. Carl, on the other hand, is actually sticking around for the “fun”(?). As for me, I have a friend in town so I’ll be entertaining.

Andy Brind writes: “when you write about something technical in the series, do you refer to your blog to see whether or not you have already discussed it so that your blog can remain faithful to the series? or do you just write it, even if it contradicts something that you have already said on here?”

Answer: When I respond to a technical question, my response is based on a) what we’ve discussed in the room and, b) common sense. Of course, either are fluid and something that is established in the room can be easily “un” established if it hasn’t made it to the small screen.
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-other-lands/

January 18, 2010

Photo: The Other Lands by David Anthony Durham

A good fantasy series is hard to find; a great one an outright rarity. Rare, perhaps, but certainly not impossible to find. George R. R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire series is one. Joe Abercrombie’s The First Law is another. And now, with the publication of the second book in his Acacia trilogy, author David Anthony Durham can lay claim to the mantle as well. The Other Lands picks up where The War with the Mein left off. The war has ended, Hanish Mein is dead, and our various players have settled down to an uneasy peace. Queen Corinn now rules the land with the help of her surviving siblings – Mena, the warrior princess, and Dariel, the former pirate turned unlikely diplomat. But complicating matters for the new Acacian ruler are a restless populace, suspect allies, and an abhorrent treaty, in place for generations, that has seen the empire ship thousands of young children to an unknown fate at the hands of the mysterious foreigners known as the Lothan Aklun.

Like the first book in the series, the narrative hopscotches between the various players be it Mena and her fellow warriors charged with the task of ridding their homeland of fearsome abominations, the young Dariel discovering deception and death on his first diplomatic foray, or Corinn dealing with the mounting threat from within the Acacian borders. And there are other throughlines as well – the machinations of the seafaring mercenaries known as The League, the hidden agenda of the brutish Numrek, the maneuverings of the enigmatic Santoth, and, most shocking of all, the rise of a far greater enemy – each offering a different piece to a fast-developing narrative puzzle.

Intrigue, action, and surprises abound. Established characters are re-discovered and further explored while new, equally colorful players are introduced (my favorite being the plotting Delivegu, Queen’s mercenary). It all makes for a thoroughly absorbing and thrilling read and, while The Other Lands lacks The War with the Mein’s stand-alone unity, the stunning developments at novel’s end have me eagerly awaiting this epic’s third and final chapter.

Stargate: Universe second season episode titles…

#4: PA******

My intensive new workout regimen is yielding definite results. For example, my last routine resulted in intense shoulder pain and various pulls, strains, and possible tears. Yes, I’m definitely “feeling the burn”. Also shooting pains and a dull, throbbing ache. There’s got to be a better way of getting in shape. Short of not eating as much.

I’ve not only fallen behind in my reading, but my t.v./movie-watching as well. On my ever-growing viewing list:

Evangelion : 1.01 – You Are Not Alone, Howl’s Moving Castle, Origin, Kite: Liberator, My Neighbor Totoro, A Tree of Palme, Whisper of the Heart, Only Yesterday, Patlabor WXIII

District 9, Thirst

Breaking Bad (season one), Lost (seasons 3-5), MI-5/Spooks (seasons 4-6), Sons of Anarchy (season one), Tudors (season 3), Wire in the Blood (seasons 4 and 5).

Anything I’ve missed? Anything I SHOULD miss?

Mailbag:

Alexander of Houston writes: “I have started Culinary School, when I graduate and if I decided to open my own restaurant, would you dine there?”

Answer: Of course! What are you making me?

Susan the Tartan Turtle writes: “When is Brie moving out? Lulu will miss her.”

Answer: We’ll all miss little Brie. Annoying little Brie. She’ll be heading east in the coming weeks.

Tanie writes: “How is the ’script from hell’ going?”

Answer: Fabulous. I haven’t touched it since receiving notes last week.

Flagitious writes: “3. Two part question:

a.) Do gates have a set phone number in relation to where they are originally placed? Like a cellphone, you get an area-code, so no matter where you are, people can connect to your phone.

b.) If that is the case, how do gates take on the addresses of planets they are near, or on, and how did the gate bridge actually work in the void between galaxies?”

Answer: Gate addresses are location-based, which is why you have a dominant gate taking precedence over a lesser gate when they are in relatively close proximity (ie. Solitudes). Creating the gate bridge required Earth to gather gates from both galaxies (Pegasus and Milky Way) and reprogram them in a way that allowed them to direct-dial one another once the initial gate was activated. In other words, only one address is dialed and the message is forwarded through the link to its eventual destination – the midway station.

4. Three part question:a.) Does Destiny’s gate physically have a limited range?

b.) Is Destiny’s gate range a power issue?

c.) Is Destiny’s gate locked out of some gates, and it’s range purposely limited by a computer program?”

Answer: yes, Destiny’s gate does have a limited range (as opposed to the far greater range of the Milky Way and Pegasus gates). This is why, often, only a handful of planets are within range when the ship drops out of FTL. Although we have yet to officially establish why this is so, it stands to reason that it is a power issue rather than any programmed attempt to limit gate access.
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

Photos: Patrick Gilmore, lunch

Guess who was unfortunate enough to saunter by the production offices the other day and ended up getting corralled to do a fan Q&A for this blog. Yes, actor Patrick GilmoreSGU’s Dale Volker. And, yes, he WAS sauntering although he’ll no doubt insist it was more of a sashay. Anyway, the point is Patrick has kindly agreed to come by and answer your questions out of the goodness of his heart and a desire to connect with the fans (and a general desire to avoid being probed onscreen by myopic aliens in my next script). So there you have it: our next super special guest blogger – Mr. Patrick Gilmore. Don’t miss out on this rare opportunity to rake him over the coals. He dares you!

Today, we tried somewhere new for lunch – and Robert and I paid the price. Rather than go with the regular rotation, we decided to check out (at Ashleigh’s suggestion may I add) a new Italian restaurant called Poor Italian Trattoria & Ristorante. While everyone else went pasta, Rob and I decided to go with the Pollo al Forno (oven-roasted chicken). I sensed trouble the second Ashleigh walked in with our lunch orders. “What’s wrong?”I asked, reading the look on her face and fearing the worst. ”Your dishes are kind of small,”she informed me, handing me my order. I opened up the take-out container and this is the sight that greeted me…

“Wow,”marveled Paul. ”Even at $8.50, I’d consider that a rip-off.” As it turns out, it wasn’t $8.50. My price? $20! The tiny chicken morsels were admittedly tasty as were the accompanying four pieces of potato and paltry salad. Still hungry after my meal, I ended up polishing off a cup of chocolate-covered almonds. Those were free by the way.

Hey, I’m loving this Skype thing. Spent an hour talking to my friend in Tokyo on Sunday, some time chatting with another Tokyo friend yesterday, then another friend in London today. I only wish the video quality was a little better.

Since several of you were so very helpful the last time I solicited your medical advice rather than seeking a professional opinion, I thought I’d give it another go. How can you differentiate between pulling, straining, or outright tearing a muscle? Please reply in 50 words or less. Winning entries get to come visit me in the hospital and change (and keep!) my bed pan.

Congrats to Iamza who guessed the episode four title…

#1: INTERVENTIONS

#: AWAKENINGS

#4: PATHOGEN

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to Deni and Elway. Wishing Elway a speedy recovery.

Mailbag:

Cat4444 writes: “Hey, Joe, are you harassing the SGU cast about doing Q&A’s? If not, why not? If yes, are any lined up?”

Answer: Voila!

Luis writes: “How do you get a good workout at home and how many different type’s of equipment do you have at home ?? Versus going to a gym???”

Answer: All I need are free weights and a treadmill. I also have an elliptical for variety. And that’s all I really need. Being able to just wake up, walk downstairs, and work out is extremely convenient. If I had to go to a gym, it’s unlikely I’d ever make it.

Michael writes: “If the crew found an exotic power source, from another alien race’s technology (minus the messiness of Wraith biotech), and adapted it to Destiny; would they be able to a – access/power more areas in Destiny and b – widen the Gate’s dialing range?”

Answer: Theoretically, yes. The Destiny gate is capable of dialing back to Earth.

Nina K.P. writes: “Have you finished Tad William’s Otherland yet? How do you like it?”

Answer: My recreational reading has slowed considerably of late. Am still reading, and enjoying, Otherland.

Fargate writes: “You’ve missed HOUSE of course and should I suggest “Farscape”all 4 seasons and Peacekeepers War if you have not seen yet.”

Answer: I don’t need to catch up on House dvd’s as I watch the show as it is broadcast. And, I’ve already watched Farscape.

BridJess writes: “Quite a few of those are Studio Ghibli films, have you seen many of them, which one is your favourite?”

Answers: I’ve seen Cast in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Spirited Away, and The Cat Returns. As for which ones are my favorites – check out SFSignal.com in the coming days for My Top 5 Anime Films.

Kabra writes: “Ok speaking of work outs, any suggestions for the triceps??”

Answer: Dips. And lots of ‘em.

Eric writes: “Why is there a timer for when the Destiny jumps back into hyperspace every time it stops? I get the part where you need it for dramatic purposes, but what’s the practical reason for it?”

Answer: At present, the Destiny is operating on an automated setting so the crew has no control over when or where they stop – and, most importantly, leave. The countdown clock is the equivalent to a bus schedule. Make sure you’re aboard for departure because you may be waiting a while for your next lift.
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...nearby-dennys/

January 20, 2010

Photos: Rob Cooper, Carl Binder, Food, Lulu, Joe's mom

Well now, this is odd. A huge batch of photos I recently uploaded to my hard drive have mysteriously vanished. Hey, Mac users, is that supposed to happen? Also, for some reason, I’m unable to download pics from my digital camera to my laptop. Seriously, what’s up? While you’re figuring that out for me, enjoy some of the pics I still do have…

Today, we watched the Day 1 mix of Incursion I. Magnifique! An episode full of action, anguish, intrigue and suspense. And Joel’s score is phenomenal. Can’t wait to watch Incursion II to find out how it ends.

Hey, weigh in with your thoughts on the Top 5 Anime Film Of All Time over at SFSignal: http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...s-of-all-time/. I did!

Mom was transferred from the hospital to a rehab center yesterday where she has started using the facility’s equipment on her way to what we hope will be a full recovery. According to her, the place has treadmills, stationary bikes, and “the epileptic, just like you.”. Uh, I assume that was a reference to the “elliptical” trainer in my basement.

The SGU season two episode list. Only one more title to guess…

#5: C****R****

Don’t forget to post your questions for actor Patrick Gilmore (SGU’s lovable Dale Volker)!

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to birthday individual GrapesofWraith.

Mailbag:

Deni writes: “So, we’ll see what the day brings, hopefully only good things”

Answer: Give Elway a big kiss on the nose from me.

JimfromJersey writes: “How fared the pasta dishes? Pasta is typically a restaurant’s profit leader due to how inexpensive it is.”

Answer: Everyone enjoyed their pasta. And, let me say again – the chicken was very good. But not worth the $20! That experience alone ensures the restaurant will not be making our regular lunch rotation.

Maddog316 writes: “Its just Earth can’t dial Destiny because of the power generation needed right?”

Answer: Correct. It’s a power issue on both sides.

Bryan M. White writes: “The script has been completed since May for Extinction. You probably have vis-effect crews working on pre-viz right now.”

Answer: Definitely not. We would have to be in prep for the anyone to be working on the movie.

Bryan M. White also writes: “Is it more cost effective to pay for something that does not give you return on investment, or make a movie for $8,000,000 that if it does decent will atleast earn back its budget it revenue?”

Answer: If a studio was “guaranteed a decent return on its initial investment” then, yes, it certainly would make sense to move ahead on production. However, nothing is guaranteed in this business.

Ian writes: “Joe Mallozzi, what do you think of the new Stargate Resistance video game?”

Answer: Sorry. Don’t know anything about it.

Dodoalda writes: “1) Will Robert Cooper direct Aftermath?

2) When will the actors recieve first S2 scripts?

3) If you could say, which S2 episode looks the most interestingly now (from ep 1 to 5)?”

Answers: 1) No. 2) Sometime in February. 3) Right now, they all look equally interesting.

Iamza writes: “Couldn’t help noticing you had read Azzarello and Lee’sSuperman: For Tomorrow. What did you think of it?”

Answer: While, like you, I enjoyed the art, I honestly preferred Azzarello’s Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-engagements/

January 21, 2010

Well, whaddya know. Word is Jason Momoa (aka Stargate: Atlantis’s Ronon Dex) is the new Conan – http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/to...n-hires-momoa/. Congrats to Jason.

Last night, I dreamt that I was taking a hair-raising drive up a narrow, barrierless glass structure to an eighteenth floor parking facility. It was reminiscent of a dream I had when I was a kid in which I was climbing up an insanely high glass staircase, fear slowing me to a snail’s pace, while Curly of the Harlem Globetrotters brought up the rear, continually haranguing me to “Keep moving!”. What would a psychiatrist say? Well, if she was a Stargate fan, she’d no doubt accuse me of running out of ideas and using the same recycled plots for my night time reveries. So let’s dispense with the expert counsel and once again rely on the much less informed but much more entertaining advice of the average blog reader. What, in your unqualified position, is the underlying significance of my dream? What deep-seeded psychological issues are at play here? And, most importantly, what form of self-medication would you recommend?

The Stargate production is like one big, happy family – unless two members of said family decide to get engaged at which point the familial analogy becomes a little creepy, as was the case this morning when I found out that a couple of my fellow co-workers had recently decided to take that major step toward a joint bank account, quiet Saturday nights curled up in front of the t.v., and arguments over which set of in-laws to spend Christmas with. I was happy for them but disappointed the actual engagement wasn’t pulled off with a little more pizzazz. I mean, sure, the romantic getaway and the dozen long-stemmed roses is nice – but so damn cliche. Years ago when my writing partner Paul was planning to ask his then girlfriend to marry him, I suggested an approach so creative, so different from anything that’s come before, that I was sure he’d go for it. But he didn’t and I honestly can’t understand why. Well, his loss is your gain. If you’re planning on tying the knot, I offer you this delightfully unique way of springing the question…

1. Choose a location.

2. The day before the proposal, visit the location and find a lovable hobo. Give him the engagement ring.

3. The next day, return to the spot with your fiancee. At the agreed upon signal, the lovable hobo will approach, cup in hand, and ask you for change. Suggest your fiancee give him a quarter. When your fiancee goes to give him a quarter, she’ll notice the engagement ring rattling around at the bottom of the hobo’s cup.

4. At which point you ask her to marry you, take the ring out of the cup and put it on her finger.

5. She says yes. Happy Ending. P.S. Don’t forget to tip the lovable hobo!

Now I’ve never heard of anyone pulling off anything even remotely similar. This approach is as wonderfully imaginative as it gets AND offers a wonderful anecdote for friends and family. Finally, to ensure it all goes off without a hitch, make sure you’re there at the appointed time, remember to have your fiancee be the one to drop the quarter in the cup and, most important of all, impress upon the lovable hobo how frightfully expensive the ring is and thus not something he would want to misplace or damage in the interim.

Let me know how it goes. And I’ll be expecting an invite to the wedding!
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-all-time-low/

January 21, 2010

Photo: French Fleur de Sel and a California along with a handy salt carrier

MGM’s Grey Munford dropped me an email yesterday that read: “From the studio that brings you Stargate comes another SciFi epic…”: Hot Tub Time Machine (http://hottubtimemachinemovie.com/). ”Waking up from an all-night drinking binge, four guy friends realize they been transported back to the year 1986 — a perfect chance for them to change their futures.”(imdb.com).

Imagine! Being able to go back in time and change the past? Undo all of those mistakes, all those stupid decisions you later came to regret?

So if YOU were to go back in time, what would you do differently? I’ll tell you what I’d do differently. A lot! But at the top of the list: I’d take more baths! Sure, showers are the way to go in the morning when you’re in a rush but at night, soaking in a nice hot tub is the way to go. I suspect that if I’d taken more relaxing baths over the years, I’d be a much kinder, gentler, far less stressed individual right about now. Still, it’s not too late to turn things around. I intend to turn my life around by making the time to take more baths!

Starting tomorrow night.

Anyway, if you’d like to check out a sneak screening of Hot Tub Time Machine, head over here: http://eventful.com/campaigns/hottub.

Hey, thanks to everyone who weighed in with their psychological assessment of my dream. Thanks to your input, I’ve come to realize that I’m far more screwed up than I imagined. Well, I suppose there’s nothing left to do but put my affairs in order and book a room at the local sanitarium. Do they still call them sanitariums or is that now considered politically incorrect? I, personally, always liked “asylum” but I have a feeling that went out of style with those 1970’s Hammer Films starring Vincent Price. I also suspect that the following terms are no longer being used by contemporary mental health professionals: booby hatch, bughouse, funny farm, laughing academy, loony bin, madhouse, nuthouse, psycho ward, rubber room, and snake pit. But I could be wrong. Still, if it was my call, I’d keep “laughing academy” around as it conveys much more pleasant and positive connotations than, say, “institution” or “psychiatric ward”. In fact, if and when I’m eventually released and I find myself in a conversation in which I’m asked where I’ve been for the past several years, I would much rather say “I was at the laughing academy.” and allow the other person to potentially assume I was at clown school pursuing a bachelor’s degree in seltzering, tiny car driving, or making children cry. You know, the usual clown specialties.

So I got a mysterious-looking package in the mail today which is kind of curious given that most of my mysterious-looking packages arrive at the production offices whereas this one was delivered to my home address. Above the return address was a name I didn’t recognize: Stephen somethingorother. And not just Stephen somethingorother but Dr. Stephen Somethingorother. For an instant, I imagined a “resourceful” fan had somehow managed to track down my home address. One day, I receive an innocent “feeling out” package and then two weeks later Stargate83 shows up at my front door, luggage in tow, hailing me with a hardy: “Hey, I was passing through Vancouver on my way to Alaska and thought I’d drop by!”! Well, as it turned out, it wasn’t a crazy fan after all but a crazy foodie – none other than my Tokyo travel buddy and fellow gourmand Stefan who, apparently, actually spells his name Stephen. He sent me…

Thanks, big guy!

The SGU season two episode list…

#4: C*O**R****

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to vacationing Jenny Robin and proud papa Shirt ‘n’ Tie. Congrats!

Mailbag:

Rafael writes: “Are you crazy? The hobo would certainly flee the scene with the ring so fast that would take you half an hour to realize what just happened!”

Answer: Which is why you have to find an honest hobo, or one that will promise to be back with the ring.

Chevron7 writes: “Wouldn’t it be easier to hire an actor to play the hobo?”

Answer: You could, but then you risk your fiancee recognizing the actor from his one line performance in Lone Gunmen and your plans are ruined. Best play it safe and go with the real lovable hobo.

DasNdanger writes: “Two things come to mind: 1. You feel your life is transparent; and 2. You feel like life is still a precarious uphill climb, but your goal is within reach, and once you get there, you will find contentment.

So…am I close?”

Answer: Beats the hell out of me – which is why I’m asking you guys.

Debra writes: “A good bottle of your fave wine or if you like it, absinthe. I hate licorice so was told I’d hate it, but I like it a lot.”

Answer: I’ve had a bottle of absinthe sitting unopened in my liquor cabinet for over a year now. Something else I should get around to.

Major D. Davis writes:1. Is Will directing aftermath?

2. Will there be any hand to hand scenes in the second half of sgu season 1?”

Answers: 1. TBD. 2. We will not be seeing the polished/choreographed type of hand to hand fighting we saw in either SG-1 or Atlantis.

Anais33 a ecrit: “Quel est la marque de votre parfum?”

Response: Ca depend. Chez moi et en Montreal, c’est Tuscany. En Hong Kong, c’est Terre D’Hermes. En Japon c’est John Varvatos Vintage. Au bureau, en 2008 c’etait Acqua di Parma, en 2009 Calvin Klein Obsession, et en 2010 c’est Boss Pure. Quant je sors, des fois c’est Giorgio Armani White et des autres fois Rochas Man.

Translation: I don’t have one cologne. If I’m at my place or in Montreal, it’s Tuscany. In Hong Kong, it’s Terre D’Hermes while in Japan, it’s John Varvatos Vintage. Back at the Stargate offices, it was Acqua di Parma in 2008, Calvin Klein Obsession in 2009, and Boss Pure this year. When I go out evenings, it’s either Giorgio Armani White or Rochas Man.

Bloomgate writes: “One question for a script writer: Why do more people order anchovie pizza’s on TV than in real life? I worked in pizza joints for over 3 years straight and nobody in that time EVER ordered an anchovie pizza. I recall seeing a dusty, sad-looking can of anchovies on the same shelf for years that never got used, but had to be there “just-in-case”.

Answer: No idea. I guess it’s one of those bizarro pizza toppings that only the weirdest of weirdoes order and enjoy – sort of like Hawaiian pizza – that somehow captures a writer’s imagination.

Flagitious writes: “7. Were DHD’s built by the Ancients, or were they built by the Wraith in Pegasus and Goa’uld in the Milky Way?”

Answer: The DHD’s were built by the Ancients as well. The Wraith and Goa’uld, of course, availed themselves of the technology.

“8. Three part question: a.) Are DHD’s an actual power source for dialing, or just an easy way to access the gate network?”

b.) How are the gates in the galaxy Destiny is currently in able to dial out without DHD’s if DHD’s are a power source?

c.) Why did the Pegasus and Milky Way gates fail to be able to dial out without DHD’s unless an external power source was connected? Was it a system fail-safe?”

Answers: To be honest, never thought about it nor was ever curious enough to bring it up in the room. Let me get back to you.

“9. Which gates are older – Pegasus, Milky Way, or Universe?”

Answer: Universe.

“10. How many gates are on Destiny?”

Answer: Just the one.
                  sigpic

Comment

The title will probably be crossroads.
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Yeah, everybody keeps guessing that in the blog comments.

But it can't be, because it's already an SG1 episode!

Comment

Well maybe it will be cloverleaf or cooperator then.
                        A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...tte-sumimasen/

January 23, 2010

Photos: Theresa Lee, Dinner, the Candy Girl Cabaret

Apologies for the tardy blog entry but I was out tonight for dinner and a show with big-time Hong Kong actress and all-around adorable sweetheart Theresa Lee (she made the finals of China’s version of Dancing with the Stars y’know).

Yes, blame her. She’s in town for a few days and we decided to get together to discuss that potential post-Stargate project we’ve been kicking around. While we brainstormed, we enjoyed some local Thai cuisine…

After dinner, we headed downtown to Maxine’s Restaurant & Lounge where we took in the show part of the “dinner and a show”. And, on this night, “the show” was the Candy Girl Cabaret.

Going in I wasn’t really sure whether I’d enjoy myself but I ended up having a great time. Yes, the ladies were lovely and scantily clad, but it was all very tasteful and the performances were energetic and tightly choreographed. The audience was a lively one, mostly made up of young women who got so caught up in the show that some of them even started dancing at their tables. Suffice it to say, I’ve got to get out more.

So I was strolling through my local butcher shop today when my eyes happened to alight on what I at first assumed was a pasty white boiled pork ball. Then, upon closer scrutiny, I recognized the delicacy for what it truly was: Haggis! About this same time last year, I considered and, ultimately, decided against picking one up – and ended regretting it. In the end, what made me decide to pass wasn’t the haggis itself (and, specifically, the ingredients that go into haggis) but the cooking process. Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer my innards crispy and the thought of boiled heart, liver, and lungs packed into a sheep’s stomach didn’t exactly fill me with an overwhelming desire to try it. Roasted heart, liver, and lungs packed into a sheep’s stomach is another thing entirely but, apparently, that would be tantamount to sacrilege I believe (and I base this assumption on the look actor and Scotsman Robert Caryle threw me when I floated the idea past him. Seriously. I thought he was going to all Begby on me.). So tell me, Haggis-lovers! Are steaming and boiling my only options? And are turnips and rutabagas my only side options? Help me out here.

SGU season two episode list:

#5:C*O**R*A**

Mailbag:

Susan the Tartan Turtle writes: “Talking of ‘resourceful’ fans – have you ever been recognised by a fan in the street? Asked for your autograph? (Apart from the young lady from Montreal).”

Answer: A couple of months ago, I was in HMV with Ivon Bartok and had one of the sales associates recognize us from the blog. Several years earlier, the cashier at a local drugstore recognized me. So it does happen, but rarely, meaning I’m free to frequent my usual dives and seedy hotspots without fear of being found out.

Susan the Tartan Turtle also writes: “Has Brie left home yet?”

Answer: She’ll be gone in about two weeks. I’ll miss the little gal. While she’s a complete and utter pain in the ass during the day, she’s a primo cuddler at night.

Arctic Goddess writes: “If you are already pressed for time, how are you ever going to find time for baths? If you do find time, do you have a Jacuzzi tub?”

Answer: No jacuzzi bath but a fair-sized tub nonetheless. As for how I’ll find the time – simple! I’ll multi-task. Instead of reading in bed at night’s end, I’ll simply read in the bath.

PG15 writes: “Anyway, I hope this revelation of what your reality really is doesn’t damage you psychologically – but, if it did, we’ll all be right here to help!”

Answer: Well, now, don’t we have plenty of time on our hands!

Fsmn36 writes: “Why do you have so many colognes? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of scents, but I stick to one and one only. It feels too cluttered to have more than one.”

Answer: Smell is apparently at the top of the list of memory-triggers, so I like to marry a particular scent to a particular event. For instance, I wore John Varvatos Vintage while in Tokyo and now, whenever I smell the cologne, I’m always reminded of the wonderful time I had there.

Rex Carter writes: “How many kinos are on the destiny including the 2 from the alternate timelines?”

Answer: Lots.

Major D. Davis writes: “Will there be any hand to hand scenes in the second half of the season like the one in Justice?”

Answer: There will be a couple of tussles.

Kevman7987 writes: “1) How do the gates that are not in the SGC or Atlantis able to refill their power reserves.
                          2) How would a gate figure out which address to accept first if two incoming wormholes were dialed at the same time from similar distances?”

Answer: 1) This is an aspect of the series we’ve yet to explore.

2) It’s impossible for a gate to receive a simultaneous signal from two incoming wormholes. Even micro-seconds apart, one will be recognized first and take precedence, locking out the other.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

January 24, 2010

Photo: Author Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Today, it gives me great pleasure to turn this blog over to premiere SF author Kristine Kathryn Rusch. If you read Diving into the Wreck, the following Q&A offers some wonderful insight into the creative driving the novel as well as Kristine’s fascinating approach to the writing process. If you haven’t reading Diving into the Wreck yet – what the hell are you waiting for?

Over to Kristine…

**snip**
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-tardy-i-know/

January 25, 2010

Photos: Carl Binder, Martin Gero, Joe's mom

Another late night of sorts. No, no burlesque on this evening – but mighty damn close. Funny man Martin Gero was in town and, after an afternoon of spinning stories and listening to amusing anecdotes involving people who really should know better, we all went our separate ways – and then reconvened an hour later at Campagnolo Restaurant for dinner and another round of amusing anecdotes.

Martin has been keeping busy post-Stargate, jetting between New York (where he is working on the second season of HBO’s Bored To Death) and L.A. (where he has various other projects on the go), yet still finding time to drop by his hometown Toronto, go on safari in Africa (q.v. his twitter page: http://twitter.com/martingero) and, most important of all, spend quality time with us. It’s always great having him back in town and his visits inevitably make me nostalgic for the old days. ”Natsukashiii” as the Japanese would say.

Congrats to PG-15 for being the first one to guess the episode #5 title of “not Crossroads” and, actually…well, let me break it down for you:

#5: CLOVERDALE

I spoke to mom yesterday (presently in rehab for her broken femur) and she was in great spirits. In fact, I don’t remember the last time she was in such a good mood. The reason? She got a surprise visit from someone special. No, a close family member. Or a good friend. Or a co-worker.

Yep, her dog Felix went to visit. No word on whether he caught a cab or took the bus.

What the heck? I’ve been thoroughly exhausted of late and I can’t figure out why. Couple this with a plethora of recent mystery pains and my writer’s mind begins to imagine all sort of dire scenarios. A rate tropical disease? Was I bitten by a vampire? Or maybe I just need to sleep in. For a week.

My friend and fellow foodie, Jessica, has started a blog documenting her studies at the Cordon Bleu in Tokyo where she is studying Basic Patisserie. She’s just begun but I’ve already started a list of the desserts she has to make me when I go back to Japan. Some incredible pics of some incredible-looking desserts: http://sugarbanzai.wordpress.com/.
                              sigpic

Comment

Hi. Does anybody happen to remember when did Joe post some concept art of Destiny's stargate? It showed in which order the chevrons light up and all. I've tried to look for the blog entry, but haven't had any luck.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X