Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...t-my-head-yet/

March 13, 2016

Photos: Joe's Toronto apartment

Last year, when we lived in this apartment, Akemi would joke that the construction on neighboring building was so close that she could play catch with the construction workers. Well, we returned to the same apartment this year to find the construction had inched just a tad closer. How close? Well, THIS close -

I mean, forget about catch. She can just hand the ball over the one foot gap separating our patio and theirs.

If you’re wondering about that impromptu safety tarp that covers roughly one eighth of the balcony – well, you’re not the only one. It seems a bit of a half-hearted gesture considering the wide array of interesting items I discover every time I step outside in the morning.

For instance, over the last month, the following have landed on my patio from the towering construction site next door:

Styrofoam chunks!

Random plastics!

Rusty nails!

A hunk of wood!

Pieces of concrete!

A discarded take-out coffee cup!

Whatever these are!

A long piece of wood…

With several nails sticking it out of it!

And last, but certainly not least: This post-it note reminder to google search the 4 steps of “Worker Awareness”. I suspect they’re missing a few.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...day-61-of-101/

March 14, 2016

Video: Dark Matter - Target and Lock

Photos: Dark Matter

And, specifically, Day #5 of Episode 208. Andy Mikita directing. I have a feeling that Dark Matter fans are going to love this one as much as the cast!

What awaits our crew down this long, dark corridor? Oh, you don’t want to know.

A homecoming of sorts for our stupendous swordsman.

Corporate Interests #1: The Mikkei Combine’s Commander Truffault.

Corporate Interests #2: Ferrous Corp’s Commander Nieman.

A little something from our playback department.

Jodelle Ferland kills time on set in typical Jodelle fashion.
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...day-62-of-101/

March 15, 2016

It’s hard to believe that we just started production three months ago. Even harder to believe that we’ve only shot 60% of Dark Matter’s second season. Only 60%! I mean, honestly, it feels like the finish line is within sight based solely on my anxiety levels. I delivered the script for 211 yesterday which now means the pressure is ON for me to complete the script for 212 in timely fashion. Like every season of every show I’ve ever worked on, I tell myself that once I complete my last script, it’ll be smoooooth sailing. I’ll be able to relax, enjoy my free time, resume my reading and t.v.-watching ways, and, best of all, NOT have to think about scripts. But, deep down, I know the reality will be that the moment I finish that last script, I’ll start making plans for the next one, the next season, the next show.

Shooting on the rooftop.

Or are we?

That was a rhetorical question. No. We’re not.

Probably the most nefarious-looking wall vents on television.

Episode 209’s mystery vials. Come on. Guess their contents!

Uh oh. Man (?) down!
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...day-63-of-101/

March 16, 2016

Video: Dark Matter - Dwarf Star Tech Directory

Photos: Lulu, Dark Matter

As much as I agonize over these scripts, I have a feeling that, once I’ve completed the last one for this season, I’ll feel as wistful as my frenchie, Lulu, on a rainy Wednesday morning.

THREE’s new “shades”.

Eyewear of another kind, compliments of props.

Director Andy Mikita plots his next move.

Space food! I highly recommend the blue biscotti.

And a little something from our 1st Assistant Art Director Kelly Diamond:

Make sure you sign in with reception!
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...episode-title/

March 17, 2016

Why should primary voters have all the fun?

Cast your ballot for your favorite Episode 207 title. But be quick! Polls close in 24 hours!

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular PBMom!
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...episode-title/

March 18, 2016

It’s been a lot of fun working with director Peter DeLuise again. The last time we were together on set was, oh, five years ago on a little Stargate: Universe episode called “Deliverance”. Remember…

THIS?!

Ah, good times. Good times.

And some pretty damn good times on the set of Dark Matter.

Today, we were at the headquarters of Alexander Rook’s Dwarf Star Technologies for the episode in which our crew bring in their air conditioning unit to get repaired. Riveting stuff!

We also shut down production so that Peter and I could do an interview for the Brampton Film Office. While we were chatting, an extra strayed out of his pen and wound up accidentally locking himself in the men’s bathroom for most of the afternoon.

Hey! The people have spoken. YOU have chosen a brand new episode title for Dark Matter’s second season. Again. To date, these are the titles YOU’VE chosen so far…

“Episode 14: Welcome To Your New Home”
              “Episode 15: Kill Them All”
              “Episode 16: I’ve Seen The Other Side Of You”
              “Episode 17: We Were Family”
              “Episode 18: We Voted Not To Space You”
              “Episode 19: We Should Have Seen This Coming”

I agreed with 3 of your choices; disagreed on 3. After today’s results, my overall record is 3-4. But that’s the great thing about democracy – the fact that even the most promising options, facing even the longest of odds, can be thoroughly crushed by the will of the masses.

And the Episode 207 winner is…

“Episode 20: She’s One Of Them Now”

Discuss.
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...016-comic-con/

March 19, 2016

Photos: Joe Mallozzi, Akemi, Comic Con, Peter DeLuise

Akemi and I had walked two block past the convention center and one block down when I realized that the cosplayer we were following was actually a garishly dressed homeless man. We doubled back, found the correct entrance and we were at Comic Con!

A quick visual rundown of the 37 minutes I spent there…

I pass Jabba the Hutt on my way to the coat check. I think he misplaced his car keys.

Caught these two guys smoking outside the coat check. They quickly butted out when they saw me.

The extended Spiderman family argue over directions to the bathroom.

I think they were some kind of forest royalty. Princesses Loosestrife and Sapodilla.

I never watched Sailor Moon growing up so I can’t be sure, but I thought Sailor Moon was blond.

And slightly less hirsute.

Toronto’s Open carry law is limited to large bladed weapons.

Even Batman’s a fanboy.

Batman can’t believe the roaming charges.

Spock gets an elf’s phone number. The guy is smooth!

It wasn’t until they returned home that John and Sara discovered their purse and wallet were missing.

I don’t tend to give money to drifters but this guy was unusually persistent.

I thought the pink feather boa was a tad O.T.T.

On our way out, we stopped by the entrance to Room 801 a half hour before the Dark Matter panel. Looked like a pretty impressive early turnout.

Celebrity spotting at the panel! Director Peter DeLuise!

Who went? How was it? Spoilers?
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...re-akemi-isms/

March 20, 2016

Photo: Akemi, Lulu

Akemi’s English has vastly improved over the 6+ years (!) we’ve been together. Nevertheless, she’s still prone to the occasional Akemi-isms, those odd turns of phrase uniquely hers. I’ve covered them in past blog entries, everything from terms like “punching sweet” (super sweet) to descriptives like “tastes like old man’s pillow” (her take on the flavor of truffles) to words of wisdom like “Tokyo crows are very smart. They eat McDonald’s garbage and their brains get bigger!” (on the superior intelligence of Tokyo crows).

Here are a few more to add to the list:

brinkle: to blink

porkupintus: appendicitis

Something’s coming down with me!: I’m coming down with something!

You’re shrinking like a balloon ten days after birthday party!: You’ve lost weight!

grandma eyes: poor eyesight

miss and hit: hit and miss (If you attempt to correct her, she’ll always reply: “Same thing.”)

mooshy-mushy: squishy, semi-solid state usually used to describe the texture of those nut and syrup mash-ups vegan cafes attempt to pass off as “cookies”.

bricklyn style: architecturally, any building with a prevailing brick work structure
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...tter-season-2/

March 21, 2016

Video: Ka-boom!

Photos: Lulu, Bubba, Ivon Bartok, Reddit, Paul Mullie, Mike Dupod, Alex Mallari Jr.

Kaboom! We have now completed two-thirds of the shooting schedule for season 2 of Dark Matter. Granted, in comparison, we’ve finished only a little over half the edits, less than 15% of the visual effects, hardly any of the mixes – but still, the heavy lifting has been done. And, late last week, I completed a first draft of Episode 212, an episode that, I suspect, will raise more than a few eyebrows on set. #OhdaaaamnThatdidNOTjusthappen!

(Kaboom graphic by artist Victor Mare)

Whoa whoa whoa. Not so fast, guys. Not so fast.

Ivon and I were rewarded for all of our work (him for writing Episode 209, me for just being me) by longtime blog reader Maryanne who sent us a treat pack chock full o’ Aussie goodies and assorted pug paraphernalia. Thanks!

Good news! Reddit and I are friends again thanks to the timely intervention of some helpful moderators. I’ve been fielding some Stargate-related queries there (most of which involve me breaking the bad news that MGM holds the rights to the franchise and is clearly in no rush to bring back our beloved shows) over the past few days and will continue to survey the sub-reddits for Stargate and Dark Matter questions and comments, intriguing SF conversations, and hilarious marching band gifs.

Well look who’s in town. If it isn’t Dark Matter co-creator Paul Mullie and Dark Matter actor (Sorry, scratch that. I’m not supposed to say anything until the official announcement) Mike Dopud. Note the crazed look in Paul’s eye, symptomatic of a guy who has spent way too much time on set.

Hey, look! It’s Spiderman! Ha ha! Just kidding.

On the other hand…
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...n-dark-matter/

March 22, 2016

Video: Dark Matter - Infiltration and Corruption

The stuff of nightmares – from the Dark Matter costume department.

Peter DeLuise directs.

Devious goings-on.

Infiltration and Corruption – by artist Victor Mare.
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...commendations/

March 23, 2016

Video: Galactic Authority onscreen logo

Photo: Dark Matter - TWO

Well, with the script for Episode 212 complete, a little free time has opened up (outside of the rewrites, prep, production, on-set duties, editing, VFX approvals, upcoming mixes and occasional sleeps), allowing me to get in some major reading in advance of this year’s Hugo nominations deadline (March 31st). 2015 wasn’t a strong reading year for me as I barely managed 88 books, and the number of titles that actually wowed me were surprisingly few. Still, I do have a few worthy candidates to nominate in the Best Novel and Best Novella categories, and, by end of next week, I should have a number of candidates for the Best Short Story category as well. After cross-referencing several recommended lists, I’ve been on a veritable tear, blazing through some forty short stories, with at least twice as many to go before I complete my extensive research.

Before I make my selections, however, I’d love to hear from all you voracious readers out there. Were there any books or stories, published in 2015, that you read and truly loved? Please let me know. I have eight days to read them!

Check out TWO in her new look.

P.S. She’s not the only one who’ll be getting a fashion makeover this season.

P.P.S. Galactic Authority onscreen logo courtesy of 2nd Assistant Art Director Sumeet Vat.
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...day-69-of-101/

March 24, 2016

Photos: House of Frying Daggers, Dark Matter

Character moments. Character arcs. Set ups and payoffs. They’re the heart of Dark Matter. Each and every one is carefully planned, scripted, and filmed. And, at the end of the day, non-negotiable. I’m not precious about “my words”, always open to input that will improve the series, but I will not sacrifice those all-important character beats. When I write a script, I do have a plan. That seemingly inconsequential line of dialogue from the Android, for instance, may seem like a throwaway but, considered in the grand scheme of things, it’s a crucial step in her character’s development, growth in her personality, and progression in her standing as a crew member. The same applies for every character on the show. As I’ve said from day one, I’ve plotted out this series, these character backstories, their respective journeys, and the day I start giving up on them is the day I pack up my laptop and finally take that long-awaited year long Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives road trip through the southern U.S.

Fists of Curry was closed…

So we took out from House of Frying Daggers instead.

Why would you even think about it?

Producer perks.

Rocket maaaan! I think it’s gonna be a long long time. But hopefully not past 7:30 p.m.

The house we’re shooting in house with metal shutters. Perfect for the zombie apocalypse.

The Art Department is getting more inspired in their subtle bong placements.

Director Peter DeLuise makes use of his handy Artemis app.

Cat Shirt Thursday!
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...peter-deluise/

March 25, 2016

Photos: Dark Matter, Joe Mallozzi, Peter DeLuise

Mark the date – June 4th – because that’s when Funimation releases the first season of Dark Matter on dvd and Blu-ray. (tweaked image c/o Alex Mallari Jr.)

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dar...Season-1/22117

Just in time for your review in advance of this summer’s season 2 premiere.

Speaking of the season 2 premiere, I hear we’ll be receiving an official announcement on a premiere date soon. Stay tuned!

Artist Jon Hrubesch continues his awesome concept design artistry with these six different versions of the prospective Dwarf Star Tech space station. I’m partial to the detail of 3A, but think that any of the B alternates could make a great EOS-7. What do you all think?

A big congratulations to THIS guy, Peter DeLuise, who received a Daytime Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Directing Special Class for his work on Monsterville. Well done, my friend. Now get back to work!
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-counterparts/

March 26, 2016

ONE (Dark Matter) = Rokuro “Rock” Okajima (Black Lagoon)

Like ONE, Rock comes from a well-to-do upbringing, having lived a sheltered, moneyed existence prior to the events that landed him among decidedly colorful company. From white collar careers to running with mercenaries, these two share similar fish-out-of-water experiences that force them to toughen up and mature if they are to survive.

TWO (Dark Matter) = Motoko Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell)

Kick-ass, strong-willed, and smart, both women demonstrate a confidence and decisiveness that commands the respect of their peers. Natural leaders, their physical abilities – strength, speed, agility – are far superior to the average human’s owing to technological enhancements.

THREE (Dark Matter) = Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)

Obnoxious and self-centered, they’re always looking out for number one but, when the chips are down, they can be counted on to come through for the team – quipping and complaining all the way.

FOUR (Dark Matter) = Lelouch V Britannia (Code Geass)

Natural blue bloods, deadly masters of the blade, they share an affinity for carnage – and a dark streak that may cause even their closest of allies to take pause.

FIVE (Dark Matter) = Radical Edward (Cowboy Bebop)

As the tech-savvy mascots of both The Raza and the Bebop, FIVE and Ed are kooky, lovable, and oh-so-dependable.

SIX (Dark Matter) = Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)

The classic big guys with the hearts of gold, they come from similar backgrounds in law enforcement but now find themselves playing parental roles to some of their ships’ more “immature” crew members.

Android (Dark Matter) = Astro Boy (Astro Boy)

Far-future Pinocchio’s with shockingly similar do’s.
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ories-of-2016/

March 27, 2016

With the deadline for the 2016 Hugo Awards nominations fast approaching (Thursday, March 31st), I thought I’d help out prospective voters by generating a list of recommended reads to guide them through the myriad titles released in 2015.

In the past, I could have put together a rundown of potential Best Novels but, alas, the past year kept me very busy, much too busy for extensive reading, and I realized that the list I’d offer up would be woefully incomplete.

Being a voracious and fairly quick reader, I thought of tackling the Best Novella or Best Novelette categories but, again, my show running duties on Dark Matter made that impossible. And so, after careful consideration, I decided instead to take on the Best Short Story category reasoning there was plenty of opportunity in the downtime between set-ups, scripts, and sleep. As it turned out, I was right and, in the preceding month, I’ve read A LOT of shorts stories – more than I’ve read in any given month.

Yes, even though I read a lot, I’m well aware that I covered but a tiny fraction of all of the eligible short stories out there. I tried to be as sweeping as possible, selecting titles from varied publications, drawing on suggestions from all over, choosing writers irrespective of politics or personality.

What follows is a list of MY Favorite Genre Short Stories of 2015. If any of these make the short list for the Hugos, I’ll be giving them a re-read and ranking. I’ll do the same for any other nominees I may have missed. And then, I’ll vote for what I consider the Best Short Story of 2015. If the best short story I read is among the five nominees, then I’ll vote for that. If what I consider the Best Short story doesn’t make the list, I’ll be voting No Award. Fair? I think so.

Well, here you go, for those interested. My Top 13 Short Stories of 2015:

“A Murmuration” by Alastair Reynolds (Interzone)

An isolated scientist’s research into the flocking behavior of birds yields surprising results.

“Calved” by Sam J. Miller (Asimov’s)

Amidst the backdrop of a world altered by ecological disaster, a father makes a desperate bid to reconnect with his son.

Read it here: http://samjmiller.com/publications/calved/

“Dialed-Up” by Tom Maughan (Terraform)

In the near, performance-enhancing drugs give office workers the edge they need to compete.

Read it here: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/dialed-up

“Re-Homing” by Debbie Urbanski (Terraform)

A couple looking to adopt find the perfect match in a remaindered child.

Read it here: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/re-homing

“Re: re: Microwave in the break room doing weird things to fabric of spacetime” by Charles Yu (Terraform)

An unattended burrito instigates a cosmological crisis.

Read it here: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/re-...c-of-spacetime

“Some Gods of El-Paso” by Maria Dahvana Headley (Tor)

In future Texas, two outlaws deal in the currencies of sex and emotions.

Read it here: http://www.tor.com/2015/10/28/some-g...hvana-headley/

“The Ninth Seduction” by Sean Mcmullen (Lightspeed)

A goblin crafts weapons and other technological marvels in advance of a coming battle.

Read it here: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...nth-seduction/

“The Sixth Day” by Sylvia Anna Hivén (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)

A young girl, gifted with the ability to grow corn, receives a dire prediction from her older sister, gifted with the ability of prophecy.

Read it here: http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.c...the-sixth-day/

“So Much Cooking” by Naomi Kritzer (Clarkesworld)

The bird flu apocalypse as related through perky Natalie’s food blog.

Read it here: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/kritzer_11_15/

“The Ticket Taker of Cenote Zaci” by Benjamin Parzybok (Strange Horizons)

Eduardo, a ticket taker at a popular tourist attraction, begins to suspect that the Cenote Zaci may be claiming some of its visitors.

Read it here: http://www.strangehorizons.com/2015/...cenote-f.shtml

“The Way Home” by Linda Nagata (Lightspeed)

A squad of U.S. Soldiers must fight their way out of Hell.

Read it here: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fiction/the-way-home/

“Things You Can Buy For A Penny” by Will Kaufman (Lightspeed Magazine)

According to legend, the wet gentleman that resides at the bottom of a mysterious well will grant you a wish for a penny…

Read it here: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fi...can-buy-penny/

“Today I Am Paul” by Martin L. Shoemaker (Clarkesworld)

An android caregiver to an Alzheimer’s patient mimics the personalities of her prospective visiting relatives.

Read it here: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/shoemaker_08_15/

If you have time, give them a read – and then report back. Would love to hear your thoughts.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X