Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-news-of-note/

March 20, 2014

Videos: Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video

Photos: CNN, socks, cucumber, a little girl and her dog, the *****y bracket, dark chocolate, cake

Those who make fun of FOX News clearly have not taken the time to check out CNN lately or, as I like to call it, The Jodi Arias Missing Malaysian Airline Network. Their anchors are always indignant, voicing their theatrical outrage about something or other. But, every so often, we’re treated to actual hard news. Like the other day, for instance, when viewers received confirmation that Flight 370 was probably NOT swallowed by a black hole. I know, I know. It seems like a reach, but it’s good to get that reassurance. : Anchor Don Lemon asked the, uh, “experts” the hard-hitting question: “Is it preposterous?”: CNN’s Don Lemon: ‘Is It Preposterous’ to Think a Black Hole Caused Flight 370 to Go Missing? As it turns out – Yes, yes it is, Don. Also, not to nitpick the “expert”, but equally preposterous is the notion that a small black hole would “suck in our entire universe”.

Imagine how much weight Jared would have lost if he’d eaten these instead? http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/18/was-it...-oven-4642098/

Then what is it? Find out here: Don’t trust your eyes! Let these unique pieces of art challenge your perception of reality

A little girl and her dog. [Note to Das: Not sad. Okay to click!] http://www.boredpanda.com/harper-lol...ecca-leimbach/

Who are the *****iest most defensive fans in America? Jut in time for March Madness, Deadspin breaks down their *****y Brackets. http://deadspin.com/who-are-the-****...ica-1542968511. I’m taking Paleo Dieters to pulls the first round upset over New Jerseyites.

Kids are leaving Facebook. Where are they going? The answer may surprise you:

Via our pal Martin Gero: Another reason you should be eating dark chocolate. http://io9.com/why-dark-chocolate-is...you-1546437895

And, on the other hand, there’s this study: Study Links Meat, Sugar Consumption To Early Death Among Those Who Choose To Be Happy In Life

In the unlikely event I missed some news of note, please enlighten us in the comments section of this blog.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ws-highlights/

March 21, 2014

Photos: Last night’s #sadTVshows twitter extravaganza

The highlights from last night’s #sadTVshows twitter extravaganza:
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...pie-countdown/

March 22, 2014

Photos: Pies

Apple pie a la mode

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream

Mississippi mud pie

Banana cream pie

Tourtiere

Sugar pie

Joe’s Stone Crab key lime pie

Cherry pie a la mode

Pecan pie

Blueberry pie a la mode

And one I’m looking forward to checking out:

Buttermilk bourbon pie (Buttermilk Bourbon Pie)

Agree? Fiercely disagree? Let’s see you vehemently defend your favorite pie!
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-well-tonight/

March 23, 2014

Videos: Lulu

Photos: The local bulldog meetup

What an incredibly productive day. I had to wake up at 7:00 a.m. this morning to bring Jelly out but, rather than go back to bed, I elected to stay up and get some work done on one of my new pilots. The plan was to complete a single flashback sequence but one scene led to another (as they’re supposed to do), I got on a bit of roll and, before I knew it, I’d finished a little over 15 pages and reached the top of the third act. I would honestly feel better about it if I knew the crucial details of Acts IV and V, but I’m not going to be greedy. I do like what I have so far. It’s crazy. In a great way. Hopefully, a network out there will love it as well. But, if not, I think I might actually upload this one to the blog. It’s too much fun not to share.

In addition to writing, I also made time to bring Lulu to the local bulldog meetup. Some of the highlights...

And the inevitable pawsticuffs...

And this interesting move...
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-and-on-notes/

March 24, 2014

Photos: Dogs, burger

It’s the routine on practically every production I’ve worked on: 1. Writers receive notes. 2. Writers get on the phone to discuss notes with executives. 3. Writers do (ish) the notes. But, in my later years on Stargate, I decided to implement a new policy. I started giving notes on the notes I received (let’s call this step in the process 1b). I always found it much easier to present concise, logically considered written arguments for how we could or, alternately, why we should not incorporate certain suggestions/requests/demands into a script. Certainly MUCH easier than verbally winging it on a conference call free-for-all. Oh, we would still have the conference calls – but at least they’d be more focused and, thankfully, a hell of a lot shorter. Anyway, providing notes on notes is something I’ve continued to do ever since. Well, today I was on a lengthy conference call in which I was given input on how to best present my latest notes on the notes I received last week. Yes, as Akemi pointed out at dinner, I received notes on my notes on notes. I couldn’t help but wonder if the person I was speaking to was advised on how best to approach delivering the suggested changes to my original email. Now THAT would have been awesome: notes on notes on notes on notes.

Only in this business.

Well, this is nice. A happy ending for the senior citizens who lost their dog, Buddy, to an “animal rescue” earlier this year (background: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...erford-county/).

Buddy is back home (https://www.facebook.com/groups/brin...ome/?ref=br_tf)

Now there’s the matter of the other twenty or so dogs being held by The Humane Alliance of Rutherford County: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FreeTheDogs/?ref=br_tf

Ah, everything old is new again! Study Questions Fat and Heart Disease Link

“Many of us have long been told that saturated fat, the type found in meat, butter and cheese, causes heart disease. But a large and exhaustive new analysis by a team of international scientists found no evidence that eating saturated fat increased heart attacks and other cardiac events.”

I’m convinced that if we wait long enough, eventually boomerangs and drive-ins will come back in style!
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...tand-and-wait/

March 25, 2014

Photo: Design

Today, I attended an industry meet and greet. A rarity for me because I tend to find these “informal” get-togethers uncomfortable, earnest, awkward, and always permeated by that unmistakable stench of desperation. ”Hi, I’m Bill Swizby! Love your show! I hope to one day write for a production of equally high calibre!” (subtext: ”Hi! I live in my mother’s basement and my single daily meal usually consists of liquid cheese. PLEASE, give me a job!”).

To be fair, there’s no shame in networking, and people who are good at meeting people tend to do well in this business, often making up for a lack of talent by having the right connections. The sad reality is that as much as WE all loved Stargate, no one in Los Angeles really knows the show and no one in Toronto seems to care. People aren’t going to hire you if they don’t know who you are so it’s not a bad idea to put a face to name on the script and make a good impression. My problem is that the individuals I tend to make a good impression on are the people who can’t really help me out in that regard, fellow writers or production personnel who I end up chatting with for the simple reason that…they’re fun to talk to. This afternoon, for instance, I met a wonderful VFX guy, a lovely freelance writer, and a positively delightful coordinator who – bonus! – also happened to be a huge Stargate: Universe fan. None of the aforementioned will help me sell a show, but they’ll all, no doubt, make great company over a few rounds.

Early on, during the scrum for seats, I did manage to flag down one network executive and had a brief and pleasant chat with her, but that was about the extent of my accomplishments on this day. Okay, that’s not exactly true. I managed to sit through the panel without fidgeting too much. And I did have that big chocolate chip cookie.

I did make an effort. Once the formalities wrapped, I stood around in five minutes increments, waiting to talk just quickly introduce myself say goodbye to the various network execs. No dice. It was like a wedding procession where you’re waiting for the groom’s drunk roommate to move along so that you can hand over your envelope. One fellow was like a mime on crank, wide-eyed, animated, gesticulating wildly, commanding undivided attention. Another couple, from a local production house, took a page out of the Brooklyn Nets playbook and actually boxed me out when I approached. THEY had gotten to there first and they weren’t sharing!

So I finished my big cookie and went home.

If nothing else, today’s experience did provide me with some invaluable pointers for the next meet and greet:

#1. Sit close to the front and wear comfortable shoes so that you can outrace the other attendees to your target.

#2. The complimentary baked goods are a planned distraction on the part of your enemies.

#3. Laughing at absolutely everything anyone says is no guarantee people are going to like you.

#4. Wear something distinct that will set you apart from the crowd AND leave an impression (ie. a monocle or hip waders).

#5. Find creative ways to monopolize your target’s attention and keep your rivals at bay. This, for instance, is a design I’m working on for next time which incorporates tip #4 as well:

#6: Be interesting. Or do something interesting that you can talk about on the day (ie. invent a popular app, save a life, learn to drive a rig, etc.)

#7: In the unlikely event you aren’t interesting (and can’t manufacture it), then make sure your pitch and/or script is interesting.

#8: Finally, in the unfortunate event neither you nor the project your pitching is interesting, make the best of things by stocking up on those complimentary baked goods and coffee.
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ard-to-or-not/

March 26, 2014

Videos: Captain America: The Winter Soldier trailer, Draft Day trailer, Oculus trailer, Rio 2 trailer, Heaven is for real trailer, The Retrieval trailer, Transcendence trailer, Brick Mansions trailer

Photos: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Draft Day, Oculus, Rio 2, Heaven is for real, The Retrieval, Transcendence, Brick Mansions

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Release Date: April 3, 2014

What it’s about: Captain America teams up with the Black Widow and the Falcon to unravel a mysterious conspiracy and battle an enigmatic enemy known as…The Winter Soldier.

What it’s got working for it: The trailer suggests a good-looking movie.

What’s it’s got going against it: Also looks a little hokey.

DRAFT DAY

Release Date: April 11, 2014

What it’s about: The general manager of the Cleveland Browns attempts to pull of a huge deal on draft day.

What it’s got working for it: The rare participation of the NFL in a feature film. And some possible insight into the draft day process.

What’s it’s got going against it: Given the NFL’s participation, don’t expect any hard-hitting or surprising insights.

OCULUS

What it’s about: Ten years after the disappearance of their parents, a brother and sister look for answers in an antique mirror.

What it’s got working for it: There is that promisingly cool scene where the brother and sister see themselves through the open window.

What’s it’s got going against it: Everything else in that trailer? Been there; seen that.

RIO 2

What it’s about: Those birds from the first movie vacation in the amazon.

What it’s got working for it: If you like the first one, you’ll probably enjoy the sequel as well.

What’s it’s got going against it: The trailer? Let’s assume they’re saving the funny bits for the actual big screen experience.

HEAVEN IS FOR REAL

Release Date: April 16, 2014

What it’s about: A boy survives a near-death experience and returns with knowledge of things he couldn’t possibly know about.

What it’s got working for it: An interesting and hopeful premise. ”Inspired by a true story”.

What’s it’s got going against it: The more pessimistic will question the honesty of the source material.

THE RETRIEVAL

Release Date: April 18, 2014

What it’s about: In 1864, a young African-American boy is enlisted by bounty hunters to entrap a fugitive freedman.

What it’s got working for it: An interesting dilemma for our young hero who must struggle to choose between fear and respect, old and newfound loyalties.

What’s it’s got going against it: If you watch the trailer, you’ll note he doesn’t struggle very long. Looks fairly straightforward.

TRANSCENDENCE

What it’s about: The singularity is here! A scientist becomes the surprising catalyst for the Artificial Intelligence he seeks to create.

What it’s got working for it: Not exactly original, but Johnny Depp’s involvement holds promise.

What’s it’s got going against it: Remember The Tourist? Dark Shadows?

BRICK MANSIONS

What it’s about: In one of his final films, Paul Walker plays an undercover cop who must team with an ex-con to take on a ruthless criminal hiding within the walls of a fortified future Detroit.

What it’s got working for it: Luc Besson’s movies can be fun (ie. The Professional, The Transporter, The Fifth Element).

What’s it’s got going against it: And, other times, horrendous. Anybody catch The Family?
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ard-to-or-not/

March 27, 2014

Videos: Dom Hemingway trailer, The Galapagos Affair: Satan comes to Eden trailer, Goodbye World trailer, Under the skin trailer, Watermark trailer, A fragile trust trailer, 13 Sins trailer, Proxy trailer

Photos: Dom Hemingway, The Galapagos Affair: Satan comes to Eden, Goodbye World, Under the skin, Watermark, A fragile trust, 13 Sins, Proxy

DOM HEMINGWAY

Release Date: April 2, 2014

What it’s about: Following a near-death experience, an ex-felon safecracker attempts to re-connect with his estranged daughter – and pull off one final score.

What it’s got working for it: The trailer suggests a movie with a Sexy Beast, Layer Cake, Lock Sock and Two Smoking Barrels feel. Three movies I quite enjoyed.

What’s it’s got going against it: I’m admittedly reluctant to embrace Jude Law as an aging tough. But I’m perfectly willing to be won over.

THE GALAPAGOS AFFAIR: SATAN COMES TO EDEN

Release Date: April 4, 2014

What it’s about: A documentary on the true life 1930?s murder mystery on the Galapagos Island.

What it’s got working for it: It’s like a very dark Gilligan’s Island.

What’s it’s got going against it: The fact that the truth surrounding the strange events remains a mystery could leave some viewers unsatisfied.

GOODBYE WORLD

What it’s about: The internet crashes. Society soon follows.

What it’s got working for it: Rather than focusing on the large-scale destruction of our civilization, this movie instead tells a more personal story about a close-knit group trying to weather the storm.

What it’s got going against it: The trailer doesn’t pack the promised weight.

UNDER THE SKIN

What it’s about: An alien predator takes human form to hunt her prey but, in time, begins to embrace her humanity.

What it’s got working for it: Looks spooky. And unique.

What it’s got going against it: It faces the challenge of covering ground already well worn by the Species series.

WATERMARK

What it’s about: From the barren desert delta to the biggest arch dam in the world, this documentary studies our relationship with water.

What it’s got working for it: Shot in 5k ultra high def. Stunning scenery.

What it’s got going against it: It’s a movie about water. 90 minutes worth of interesting? Maybe.

A FRAGILE TRUST

What it’s about: The story of Jayson Blair, one of the most shocking serial plagiarists in history.

What it’s got working for it: The curiosity factor. How did he get away with it for so long?

What it’s got going against it: Hopefully not a movie that celebrates this word thief.

13 SINS

What it’s about: A down on his luck salesman is offered rewards for the completion of 13 sinister tasks.

What it’s got working for it: An intriguing premise.

What it’s got going against it: Nicholas Cage has never been all that picky about the types of movies he’ll do. Could be very interesting. Or just plain awful.

PROXY

What it’s about: Two women in a support group form a bond that engenders dark consequences.

What it’s got working for it: Looks like a suspenseful thriller. In the tradition of Single White Female?

What it’s got going against it: The performances seem a little shaky…but it could just be the edit.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-of-lawsuits/

March 28, 2014

Photo: Gavel

A judge has allowed Big Beef’s lawsuit against ABC News to proceed: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice...be-held-liable

I’m sure you all remember if not the story then, certainly, the image of the infamous “pink slime” (aka “finely textured beef”). Beef Products Inc. claims the ABC news story was slanted and cost the company $1.2 billion while ABC insists their report was factual. According to the plaintiff, even though ABC News did include a disclaimer, they take issue with the report’s description of the product as “not meat” and its questioning of the product’s safety (based on the concerns of certain scientists).

Of bigger issue here, in my opinion, is this: “What happens if corporate interests are able to, through the courts, curtail not just how journalists, but also average Americans, use language to hail or decry companies? Even unsuccessful lawsuits against media companies can have a chilling effect on journalists, legal experts say.”

Which brings us to THIS lawsuit - http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/03/2...r-yelp-review/ - filed by the owner of a watch repair shop in Manhattan against a customer who gave him a negative review on Yelp. Seriously. I, for one, would love to go back and sue anyone who gave my Stargate episodes less than a 3 star review. I’ll be keeping my eye on this one.

Meanwhile, http://qz.com/193046/the-guy-from-of...illegal-flair/. An actor from the movie Office Space sued 20th Century Fox for unjust use of his image in merchandise related to the film. Not surprisingly, his lawsuit was dismissed. It makes sense – the contracts are pretty clear – but part of me is somewhat saddened. After all, I can’t begin to imagine how much money MGM made off the sales of DVD’s in which I made a special features appearance.

The big boys tussle: http://consumerist.com/2014/03/28/wa...rd-swipe-fees/. Walmart’s lawsuit against VISA for price fixing, colluding with the banks to set high fees for card swiping. This follows a 5.7 billion dollar class-action settlement approved in December between merchants, VISA, and Mastercard. In this battle of the titans, I’m rooting for – if not exactly the little guy, then the slightly less big guy. The slightly less annoying big guy. And, in this case, that’s Walmart.

Big international banks are on the receiving end of this class-action lawsuit - http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,2915892.story – filed by a Sanford, Florida man who accuses them of manipulating “manipulating yen-denominated interest rate benchmarks”. Interestingly enough, “A Japanese investment banking unit of UBS in September was ordered to pay a $100 million criminal fine after pleading guilty to wire fraud for scheming to manipulate yen LIBOR to benefit a senior trader’s positions.”

Did Apple and Google conspire to drive down wages through mutually agreed-upon no-hire agreements? Five software engineers believe so and they’ve filed a lawsuit against both companies “alleging a conspiracy to suppress pay by agreeing not to recruit or hire each other’s employees.” http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7975951.story This one is interesting as big tech giants aren’t the only ones who include non-compete clauses in their contracts.

Lisa Ling, co-host of The View, is being sued by a houseguest who slipped and fractured her foot on her steps: http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/26/lisa-l...-peel-lawsuit/. Homeowners should, of course, always take the precaution of posting “CAUTION: HAZARDOUS STEPS” OR “BEWARE DANGEROUS CARPET” for visitors.

Thoughts?
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...targates-fare/

March 29, 2014

Photos: Petunia, Lulu, Barb, Jeff, Akemi, Joe Mallozzi, Bubba, Jelly, GraphTV

Check out our houseguest, the love of my buddy Tio’s life, the lovely Petunia. She’s here for a sleepover and has come armed with her own pink bed, pink blanket, and snacks. According to Tio, she’s a snuggler, so tonight will be interesting. Four dogs on the bed. Just like old times!

But Petunia wasn’t the only houseguest we entertained. Earlier today, our friends Jeff and Barb dropped by for pecan pie, ice cream, drinks and, of course, dogs...

And, for no other reason than the fact that I’m already posting dog pictures, here’s a photo I snapped of Bubba last night sporting his samurai helmet...

I received an email today from our old friend, Trevor in Toronto, who alerted me to GraphTV, a site that charts a show’s performance based on viewer response over time.

Stargate: SG-1...

Stargate: Atlantis...

As Trevor pointed out, a lot “of shows fluctuate quite a lot, either up or down, but the what is clear from the graphs is SG-1 and Atlantis are some of the most consistent series ever made.”

As for Stargate: Universe, the breakdown is also telling...

And, again, Trevor says it best: “and it’s painful to see the SGU graph, because clearly that show was awesome and gaining momentum…”

Check out how your favorite shows fared here: http://io9.com/these-graphs-show-pre...how-1554419978

Or do your own research here: http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...rthday-batman/

March 30, 2014

Photos: Batman comics

The caped crusader is 75! Let’s celebrate the big day with some of Batman’s most memorable covers...

Does that skunk contain a kryptonite bomb?

The superboys, always comparing the size of their…uh…diamonds.

You can tell they’ve hit rock bottom by the little hobo sack on sticks they’re carrying.

While no actual crime has been committed, they’re getting a beating anyway.

Shocking! I think the bird is done! Ha ha! Seriously though. Let’s get him to the burn unit.

Let me guess. Your driver’s license?

Doing a fine job of blending in.

Typical male.

And by “red” you mean “pink”, right?

On the one hand, he could kill Robin. On the other, he’s THIS close to a perfect game.

Batman’s to do list: 1. Get laid. 2. Capture Joker.

Yeah, whatever happened to “Batboy”, a.k.a. “lamest superhero ever”?

Good thing that dog is wearing a mask. Wouldn’t want to reveal his true identity.

Pesky drafts! Presumably, this was before the invention of the bat-clasp.

It wouldn’t be so tragic if he weren’t so talented.

I would seriously reconsider placing my trust – to say nothing of my life – in the hands of a trained ape. But maybe that’s why I’M not a superhero.

Now why the hell would the Queen make that crazy asumpti – Oh. Right.

Batman: Fashion Menace!

Been there. Fought that.

Oh, right. The snowy white beard. He’s really old.

Ah, the pain of unrequited love.

Have at thee, truculent street lamp!

Turning him into a baby was bad, but dressing him in those culottes was unforgivable.

Ho ho! Those pranking sidekicks!

Every superhero has their weakness.

It’s Paul! Paul’s the dead one!
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...march-31-2014/

March 31, 2014

Photos: Sunday Food Truck Tour, Milla, Petunia, Missy, Len, Nicole, Akemi

Yesterday, Akemi and I (and our lodger, Petunia) met up with fellow foodies Nicole, Missy, Len, and Milla Jovovich (No, not THAT Milla Jovovich) for a Sunday food truck tour, Vancouver style! And by “Vancouver style!” I mean wet and miserable. But only the weather! The food was pretty darn good.

Since we were food truck trekking on a Sunday, our options were limited. Even our limited options were further limited by the no-shows of several food trucks (Yes, Feastro the Rolling Bistro and Mom’s Grilled Cheese Truck, I’m talking about you). But we made the best of things...

From there, we headed over to the Japadog shop for a Japanese take on a North American favorite. We sampled three varieties...

We picked up Japadog and, since it was so cold and miserable (and we had the dogs), we decided to just eat in the car. On our way there, Nicole noticed a shop called Mancakes that specializes in Manly cupcakes. Well, what’s a food truck tour without dessert?

The manly cupcake flavors included: Chicago Popcorn, Buffalo Wing, King Kong (chocolate, banana cream, and espresso marshmallow), Breakfast (bacon, egg cream, granola and maple syrup), Apple Brie, Tequila Pineapple, Whiskey Lime, Bacon Chili Chocolate, Chocolate Red Wine, Pink Peppercorn Grapefruit, Rum and Coke, and the daily special which was, I believe, Pepperoni Pizza. Winners: Buffalo Wing, Whiskey Lime, Chicago Popcorn, Pink Peppercorn Grapefruit. Loser: That Pepperoni Pizza. Sausage and cream = not a good mix.

A great time was had by all. Next time, Nicole will be leading our Chinatown tour!
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...fools-roundup/

April 1, 2014

Videos: The April Fool’s Roundup

Check out Samuel Adams’ new HeliYum-induced beer:

YouTube announces its lineup of upcoming viral trends for 2014:

Samsung’s pigeon network will bring WiFi to London:

In response to events in Crimea, the European Union drafts a blacklist that includes Putin’s dog: http://euobserver.com/foreign/123706

Virgin America introduces personal climate control for each individual passenger:

Meanwhile, Canadian airline, West Jet, goes metric:

HTC and Samsung present the smart glove: http://androidandme.com/2014/04/news...-smart-gloves/

Ocado Technology introduces the 42? ‘slablet:

Crazy news out of Suffolk:

Google Maps offers a teaser for the upcoming live-action Pokeman game!

Meanwhile, the BBC offers 10 stories that look like April Fool’s Day pranks, but aren’t: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26831986

Enjoy the delicious scent of Cheetos perfume:

BMW launches the ZZZ series:

In addition, BMW is also introducing: “introducing its “Force Injection Booster,” an artificial G-force technology that “simulates the effects of spirited driving, even when traveling at slower speeds, to create a thrilling ride.”

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-intros.html

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to the memory of my boy Maximus who always enjoyed a good laugh.
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ping-dogs-lie/

April 2, 2014

Videos: Lulu, Bubba, Jelly
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ojects-update/

April 3, 2014

I recall reading somewhere that Stephen King likes to listen to (“rock”) music while he writes. That’s amazing because I couldn’t imagine a scenario or musical genre (even classical!) that would actually help my in-progress writing process. I make the distinction because every pilot I work on tends to have a theme, a song that perfectly captures the spirit of the prospective series. Before sitting down to write, I’ll always slip on my ear buds and listen to the song, once, imagining the opening title sequence or crucial montage or Comic Con trailer. And that usually puts me in the mood. Pendelum provides the theme for Dark Matter, Parov Stelar the music for a couple of A.K.A.’s montage sequences, while one of Vitalic’s beats offers offers the frenzied musical accompaniment to that over-the-top SF action pilot I jus completed.

But when it comes time for the actual writing, I need silence. I NEED silence but subconsciously crave distraction. Between pages, I am constantly surfing the web or responding to emails, checking my phone messages and generally seeking out something (anything) that will divert my attention from the task at hand. Whether its approving blog comments, raiding my chocolate drawer, or putting out the recycling bins, it’s all a welcome distraction. I would be SO much more prolific if I was actually able to exercise a certain amount of self-control.

Sadly, I haven’t been able to find anything that actually helps the writing process. I’m experimenting with bourbon and, while the early trials hold promise, it’s really too early to give it official approval.

So, on the projects front...

Dark Matter has been a roller coaster ride of ups, downs, and a couple of times when I thought we were going to go hurtling off the tracks and land in the carny booth. There have been plenty of close calls in our attempts to put the financing in place. I always had a per-episode budget number I wanted to hit – nothing extravagant, simply what I thought would be the bare minimum we would need to produce a great, ship-based SF. And, when that number proved just-out-of-reach, I reconsidered my drop-dead sum, figuring that we could trade off a slightly lower budget in exchange for more time to craft production-friendly scripts. But the latest news from our production partner is a downer with the final number falling short of practical expectations. Everybody loves the script, but they’re reluctant to pony up the $$$ required to do it right. And it always comes back to the same argument. Why pay more for an expensive space-based scifi series when you can pay half as much for a genre show that is probably going to do just as well in the ratings even if it doesn’t offer all the cool ship-based adventures and otherworldly exploration? My answer would be: “Because it wouldn’t offer all the cool ship-based adventures and otherworldly exploration!”. Anyway, we’ll have the final tally sometime next week and, at that point, we’ll make the call.

Development work has been completed on A.K.A. Everything (the pilot, episode #2 script, and series overview) were delivered to the broadcaster last week and we’ve been told that a decision on the project will be made by the end of next week.

Have been on a couple of calls from production companies interested in the Southern Gothic pilot I co-wrote with my pal Tara in T.O. Tomorrow, or early next week, I get on the phone with my U.S. agent to talk about possibilities south of the border.

Finally finished a first draft of that over-the-top actioner (as opposed to the over-the-top “auctioneer” this blog’s spell-check keeps prompting me to write). It’s…pretty crazy, as different from Southern Gothic as SG is from A.K.A. and A.K.A. from Dark Matter. And, for those wondering, DM is very different from this one as well. I’ll be sending it off to some of my fellow writers for feedback, and I’m fully prepared for the responses to range from: “This is great!” to “You’re out of your mind!” and anything in between.

And then there are the countless other non self-generated projects out there – pitches and possibilities and sundry longshots that have, to date, offered little beyond endless conference calls. emails, and the oft-expressed desire to “work together soon”.

Back to the bourbon!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X