Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not write the pregnancy in to the show, not reduce the actresses time, and shoot character in loose fitting garments and carefully placed props. Like, ooh, a number of other shows. (SG-1 for example. Unless I missed the Sam pregnancy storyline)
    there was a 6 episode hiatus for ole sammy some time ago

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      http://www.josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/

Wait...so is
      Spoiler:
      Rachel Luttrell really pregnant?

I was wondering that exactly. And why didn't anyone call him on it in his comments? I have taken a screen shot, just incase the answer does a mysterious disappearing act.

ETA: I just answered my own question, I think. He can pick and chose which comments go up, so maybe he's rejected those comments that call him on it?
      Last edited by OaTmEaLfAiRy; 25 April 2007, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Somebody did; although, I got to admit, I'd probably have gone in a little more...tactfully.

Comment

Has no one considered the possibility that Rachel gave Joe permission to say what he did? It just seems odd he would announce something like that behind the actress's back. Maybe he asked her..."Can I spill this on my blog? It'll make the fans go nuts."

Just a thought.
          - Life after Stargate -
          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
          sigpic

Comment

oh good - I thought maybe I'd gotten completely the wrong end of the stick - but now I see that if I do at least I'm not alone
            Does seem an odd way to make an announcement like this....

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater View Post
              oh good - I thought maybe I'd gotten completely the wrong end of the stick - but now I see that if I do at least I'm not alone
              Indeed.

Comment

Forgive me for being an idjut, but when users are posing questions to Joe, where and how are they doing that? Do you have to be a blogspot user? What's the proceedure?

Comment

Originally posted by LogicSequence View Post
                  Forgive me for being an idjut, but when users are posing questions to Joe, where and how are they doing that? Do you have to be a blogspot user? What's the proceedure?
                  Under each blog entry, there's a "Post a Comment" link. Click it, write your comment and sign with your goggle/blogger account, or (if you don't have such an account) as Other or Anonymous. (It should be obvious. )

Edit: About the pregnancy thing - I first read the spoilers on wikipedia and had to groan, exactly like I did when I first heard about Vala's pregnancy (I just hate "ooooh, someone is having a baby ooooh cute"). But the way JM phrased it, it sure sounds like there was no other option than to have Teyla pregnant, which makes me wonder......... )
                  No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                  (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater View Post
                    Yesd, it does. Alex Levine does come to mind... (poor fella, he has become the metaphore! )

As for the AT bit, I'm with Steve...
                    Spoiler:
                    The only reason they managed to ignroe AT's pregnancy compeltely is because it didn't realy show til they finished season 8 and by the time they started season 9, she already gave birth. They had great luck with timing there, adn if that's not the case with RL, they can't replciate the situation...

Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                      Someone should point out that a fourth option is
                      Spoiler:
                      Not write the pregnancy in to the show, not reduce the actresses time, and shoot character in loose fitting garments and carefully placed props. Like, ooh, a number of other shows. (SG-1 for example. Unless I missed the Sam pregnancy storyline)
                      That would be shooting around the pregnancy, rather than the actress.

But then this is Teyla we're talking about so loose fitting clothing is obviously an absolute no-no.
                      As previously pointed out,
                      Spoiler:
                      unless you are *very* lucky with the timing - as in AT's case - it is impossible to not drastically reduce the actress' on-screen time when shooting around the pregnancy. And even AT took several episodes off. In every show (such as the X-Files) where an actress has become pregnant and the pregnancy has not been written into the plot, the actress' on-screen time has been greatly reduced... both because of the difficulties of shooting around them without revealing the pregnancy (thus massively cutting down on the amount of things they can do in scripts/scenes) and because of the time they need to take off around the actual birth.

The option you are trying to suggest is actually exactly what Joe's option number 1 entails - shooting around the pregnancy, putting the actress in loose clothing, hiding her behind props etc. The practicalities of doing that means it has to involve reduced screen time.. and I very much doubt the reason they chose not to go that route was solely due to not wishing to have Teyla dress in looser clothing, as you seem to be suggesting.
                      Last edited by Alipeeps; 26 April 2007, 04:06 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

It's weird, I was struck by the funny phrasing of the answer. Both that it was impossible to not have the actress in it without making a deal of the pregnancy, and that by not writing the pregnancy in was, in a way, not supporting the actress. So I offered the fourth; support the actress and not write it in. *shrug*
                        Seems that from the phrasing, they wrote it in because they couldn't think of a way around it. It's sci-fi, the bump doesn't have to be a pregnancy. One can only hope they handle it better than all previous excursions into this realm.

And AT missed 5 episodes after her daughter was born. MS missed 4 episodes and he wasn't even the one who was pregnant.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                          It's weird, I was struck by the funny phrasing of the answer. Both that it was impossible to not have the actress in it without making a deal of the pregnancy, and that by not writing the pregnancy in was, in a way, not supporting the actress. So I offered the fourth; support the actress and not write it in. *shrug*
                          Teyla's a very physical character though. Unless you want half a season of Teyla sitting behind a desk, you can't write around the actress's pregnancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                            Teyla's a very physical character though. Unless you want half a season of Teyla sitting behind a desk, you can't write around the actress's pregnancy.
                            Yeah, would be tough. Unless they want to give Teyla COMMAND of the city

Although JOe wrote
                            Anonymous #7 writes: “Teyla's pregnant? […] It just proves that if you can't figure out how to develop a female character you off them like you're doing with Elizabeth or you get them pregnant... where have I seen that again? *insert rolling of eyes here*”

Answer: As far as I know, there are three ways in which shows have dealt with pregnancies: 1) They’ve reduced the actress’s onscreen time drastically and ignored the fact by shooting around her, 2) They’ve written the actress out of the show entirely, 3) They’ve supported the actress by writing the pregnancy into the show. If there is a fourth option you have in mind, I’d love to hear it. Maybe a "Teyla has an eating problem" arc?

The remarks don't confirm if Rachel is pregnant or not - just what studios do if the matter arises. If there is a preganncy, that's up to the actress to disclose to the public. Heck, when Alex Levine disclosed Claudia Black's pregnancy, that post was ripped off the official blog very quickly. Since the actress hasn't said anything, I'm of the mind that this is a plot device until she says something, as it wouldn't be up to JM to disclose her pregnancy anymore than AL disclosed CB's pregnancy.

Comment

Re: Alipeep's post...

If they reduce Teyla's scheduale even more, would that make for an invisible Teyla?...
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                But does it have to be a pregancy?
                                She's still going to spend the season sitting around. It's sci-fi. Let's be wild and imaginative here!
                                A huge ticking time-bomb of an explosive tumor!!!
                                Or not.

Mind you, from some of the complaints I've read, would it really make much difference if she wasn't in it so much? It's not as if she's up front and center, driving the SGA storyline at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X