Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-developments/

December 14, 2011

Photos: Dark Matter

Just got off a conference call on which I pitched Dark Matter to some interested parties. To those of you who don’t know, Dark Matter is my scifi comic book series scheduled to launch on January 8th, 2012 through Dark Horse Comics. The plan is to kick things off with a four-issue opening arc, and then use those four issues (and the pilot script) as a springboard to a television series (or mini-series). Although my agent suggested I could simply offer a brief overview of the series on this call, I thought it best to deliver the full pitch covering the pilot (first two issues of the comic book) and the series overview. Although I’ll be the first to admit I’m better on paper, the pitch went well. I’m always heartened when people ask the right questions – specifically, those related to character, tone, and production. The next step is to get them the script and those first two issues for holiday perusal.

Speaking of Dark Matter, looks like the March solicitation for issue #3 is out, and it offers a sneak peek at the cover artwork by Garry Brown (see above). The accompanying blurb:

On the heels of a shocking revelation about the nature of their mission, the amnesiac crew struggle to come to terms with their roles—and each other. Meanwhile, a space ship bristling with weaponry pops up on their radar and it doesn’t seem friendly. Will a reckless response to a perceived threat damn them all?

Intriguing, no? The great thing about the lead time I had in developing this series (years!) is that it allowed me to really flesh out the characters and premise, map out the twists, turns, and shocking revelations, and offer plenty of clues for those looking to piece together Dark Matter’s multi-layered mystery.

If you want to learn more about the series, here are my past posts on Dark Matter:

Early character designs of the crew: May 10, 2011: Thanks for the thanks! Transporter: The Series! My Comic Book series!

Early ship designs: May 13, 2011: Okay, try to keep up! The Transporter Team! Dark Matter Ship Designs! Movement on the Anime Front! Stargate: SG-1 Season 6 Memories! Notes on Network Notes! And I Answer Your Stargate Questions!

Early character/clothing designs: May 27, 2011: Getting the Book of the Month Club back on track! More Dark Matter Designs! Mailbag!

Early B&W artwork for issue #1: September 2, 2011: Dark Matter! Carl’s bento surprise!

Early B&W pencils by Garry Brown: September 29, 2011: Dark Matter!

Sneak peak at issue #1: November 3, 2011: Dark Matter Preview! Reminiscing SG-1?s Tenth Season!

Sneak peek at the cover for issue #2: November 17, 2011: Dark Matter #2 cover! News of note!

Another sneak peek at issue #1: November 21, 2011: A Dark Matter sneak peek! My first Dark Matter interview! The Europeans are coming! The Europeans are coming!

And here are the online interviews I’ve done to date along with more sneak peeks of the comic book:

Alvaro’s ComicBoards.com

“Stargate” Writer Joseph Mallozzi Unleashes “Dark Matter” – Comic …

Stargate Writers Explore DARK MATTER in New Comic – Newsarama

Pop Culture Zoo | Joseph Mallozzi Discusses Dark Matter

My editor at Dark Horse Comics, Patrick Thorpe, informs me that Dark Matter will be available through Dark Horse Digital for those you residing outside North America or those who prefer the convenience of online shopping – and reading. Check it out here: Buy digital comics:

Speaking of sneak peeks, here’s a look at some of Garry Brown’s (pre-color) pencils for the series:

Love it!

Today’s entry is dedicated to blog regular Deni.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-daily-update/

December 15, 2011

Video: Hiltop Hoods - The Nosebleed Section Video

Photos: Joe Mallozzi, Bubba

Did my sixth Dark Matter interview this morning, this one with my our old friend Steve Eramo (SciFiAndTvTalk) who I haven’t seen since his last visit to the Stargate offices. He’s been keeping busy, doing a lot of writing for The Morton Report – Where Popular Culture Meets Swanky Living. It was great chatting with him and we can look forward to seeing the interview in the coming weeks. I will, of course, keep you all posted.

Why the hell can’t I purchase the following song off iTunes?

Apparently, it’s unavailable in Canada. My question is: Why not? The Nosebleed Section was released eight years ago. EIGHT YEARS AGO!!! What makes it even more annoying is the fact that other songs by the Hilltop Hoods ARE available on Canadian iTunes.

I realize this is probably an unpopular opinion – among the top brass at various studios, record labels, etc. – but, it being the 21st century and all, and the fact that we do have this thing called the internet, I think it’s kind of silly to be doing business as if we were still back in the 20th century at a time when the internet was still in its infancy. Call me crazy, but I think consumers should be allowed to watch, listen, and purchase what they want when they went regardless of where they live. And, crazy or not, that’s an opinion that WILL become a reality – whether that top brass likes it or not. Thoughts? Do you viewers living in the U.K. mind waiting those extra months for the dvd release of your favorite show?

Yeah. Thought so.

A real estate agent came by the house today to give me an estimate on how much I could get if I elected to sell. The market is still very hot here in my neck of the woods but the experts predict the bubble will eventually burst here as well. As Paul points out, however, I could certainly sell my place for a nice sum – but then I’d have to buy a place for an equally nice sum. UNLESS – I sell my house now while I can command top dollar, then live out of my SUV until the market bottoms out and THEN buy a new house. Fact is, I don’t know where I’m going to be in 2012. Such is my line of work. Ideally, I’d love to be here in Vancouver working on Dark Matter, but you go where the work is (among the crazy, even long-reach possibilities floated: L.A., Spain, Ireland, even back to Toronto). OR I could just move to Tokyo.

Wait! What? The Stargate reunion is this weekend. Specifically, this Sunday. THIS SUNDAY! This football Sunday with my Snow Monkeys battling it out in fantasy football league action (in not one but two leagues may I add). This Survivor finale Sunday! Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

My poor boy isn’t doing too well. He has no appetite and is having trouble keeping his medicine down. This happened back in Toronto and he surprised us by rallying, regaining both his appetite and spirit on his return to Vancouver. Hoping for a second miraculous recovery.
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...book-round-up/

December 16, 2011

Photos: Tokyo Disneyland employees, snow monkey, Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E., Wolverine: The Best There Is, Deadman, Ultimate X-Men, Suicide Squad, Penguin: Pride and Prejudice, Justice League International, Maximus

According to Akemi, employees of Tokyo Disneyland are contractually prohibited from revealing how much they are paid to work at the theme park. If pressed, again according to Akemi, they will answer: “Mickey pays me in chocolate.”. When I expressed my doubts about this policy, she threw me a look that seemed to suggest I’d missed the most obvious point. ”Of course,”she explained. ”They still dreams!”

Of course.

Well, my Snow Monkeys are off to a grand start in R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league semi-final action with Roddy White putting up an impressive 25 fantasy points Thursday night. Looking good but I still face a tough match-up and I’m having second thoughts about some of my starters. Specifically, Dez Bryant. Do I start him on Saturday night against the Bucs or do I switch him out for C.J. Spiller in the flex? Should I roll the dice on Kevin Smith?

I continue my quest to for my new favorite comic book series, assiduously working my way through three issues of whatever is on the stands now, setting aside those books that fail to capture my interest, and forging ahead with those that do. To date, I’ve read 50 titles which have shaken out to 22 yeas and 28 nays. Understand that, more often than not, my decision to pass on a particular book has less to do with its quality than my personal tastes. Darker, single hero-focused titles, for instance, are more appealing to me as opposed to, say, magic or supernatural-themed books. Having said that, here’s how the last batch rated...

Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #1-3

While I enjoyed the Monster Squad premise, I wished that the players had been a little less on-the-nose. The team is literally made up of Frankenstein, a vampire, a werewolf, a mummy, and a water-breathing female amphibian reminiscent of Hellboy. Plenty of action and some nice little insights into our protagonist’s backstory, but the supporting players lack appeal. Two big thumbs up, however, for the concept of the Ant Farm, the S.H.A.D.E. HQ orbiting 2000 miles above Manhattan.

Verdict: Interesting but not quite enough to keep me on board.

Wolverine: The Best There Is #8-10

Some terrific tech and SF concepts, battle sequences, and supporting characters are the pros. The cons? Our hero, Wolverine, who feels strangely out of place amidst the far-flung scifi trappings.

Verdict: If the series solely focused on those two eccentric bounty hunters, Paradox and Monark, I’d probably be on board. As a Wolverine title though it feels very un-Wolverinish.

Deadman #1-3

Remember what I said about not being a big fan of magic or supernatural-themed books? Well, every once in a while, there’s an exception – and Deadman is one. The uniqueness of this books’ otherworldly elements coupled with some deft character insight, wonderful artwork by Bernard Chang, and an intriguing story by Paul Jenkins totally won me over.

Verdict: Surprisingly, two big thumbs up for Deadman.

Ultimate X-Men #1-3

Hmmm. Bit of a role-reversal here. I went into Deadman fully expecting not to like it – and ended up really enjoying Paul Jenkins’ take on Boston Brand. On the other hand, I sat down to Ultimate X-Men fully expecting to love it (I enjoyed the other Ultimate titles in addition to Nick Spencer’s work on other titles) and ended up less than enthused. The fact that a number of our players are the offspring of already established major characters in the Marvel universe sometimes made this book feel like a Junior version of the Big Books.

Verdict: Would have preferred a book that focused on an alternate version of the bigger name X-Men.

SUICIDE SQUAD #1-4

I’m a huge fan of the vilains-as-heroes motif that worked so well in Thunderbolts and Secret Six. Suicide Squad follows along the same lines but comes up short in comparison. The problem for me is that picking up this book on the heels of Gail Simone’s run on Secret Six, it’s hard not to miss Simone’s careful character construction, or take issue with some of the perplexing changes in some of the players. Amanda Waller seems to have undergone a complete physical transformation while Deadshot (aka Floyd Lawton) is lacking in his trademark charm and suave demeanor. Finally, while I like the idea of having King Shark as part of the team for comic relief, it does stretch credulity that anyone in their right mind would consider him a good fit for covert ops.

Verdict: Not for me.

Annihilators: Earthfall #1-3

I’ve always felt that big, Earth-in-peril storylines worked best as crossovers. Faced with a planetary scale threat, it’s inevitable that Earth’s other heroes are going to get involved. And, often, when they do, the focus shifts from the title’s main character(s) to the guest stars. In certain cases – say, if the heroes of a particular book are well-established enough – it’s not that big a deal. In the case of Annihilators, however, I felt the focus on the guest stars and the ensuing action didn’t really leave room for much insight into the first team. Still, these big, cosmic-level stories are the kind writers Abnett and Lanning excel at and fans of the genre won’t be disappointed.

Verdict: To be honest, I prefer my superheroic stylings on a much smaller scale.

Penguin: Pride and Prejudice #1-3

Writer Greg Hurwitz and Artist Szymon Kudranski team up for a wonderful character study of one of Batman’s most infamous villains: Oswald Cobblepot, aka The Penguin. Through the use of flashbacks, they juxtapose the trials of the sensitive, vulnerable young Oswald in the face of constant familial bullying to the no-less sensitive and vulnerable modern-day Penguin. We glimpse both sides of the coin here, our villain at his most callous and cruel in his response to personal sleights while, proving incredibly loving in his relationship with his mother and the blind woman he romances. Somewhat reminiscent of Jason Aaron’s one-shot, Joker’s Asylum: Penguin, but with further depth afforded by the five-issue run.

Verdict: Loved it. Another favorite. It’s a shame it’s a limited series.

Justice League International #1-4

The running gag, of course, is that the JLI is, for all intents and purposes, the B Team. Problem is that, as much as I like Booster Gold and Guy Gardner, joined with the less-than-impressive likes of Vixen, Ice, Godiva, Rocket Red, and August General in Iron, the JLI really does read like JLA lite. At times, it all feels very politically correct and careful.

Verdict: It’s a pass for me on JLI.

Overall: 24-34

Not much to report on the Maximus front. My boy continues to feel very down. He ate a little today – some chicken pate Akemi made for him, mixed with a little water to form a paste he could swallow with less difficulty. It seems he’s somewhat interested in eating but having trouble because of the melanoma in his mouth. Time is ticking down toward my Montreal departure and I’m at a loss as to how to proceed. I don’t want to leave him with my dog-sitter in this state and I don’t like the prospect of abandoning him at the vet for 11 days. I’m calling Air Canada tomorrow to see if I can transport him back east with me, carry-on, if I have to.
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-day-tomorrow/

December 17, 2011

Photos: Maximus, parking car, cream puffs, snow monkeys

No discernible change in the condition of my pug, Maximus. He’s not eating and has been extremely low-energy (as opposed to his standard low-energy), but I’m heartened by the fact he is drinking water and perked up considerably this afternoon when some friends dropped by the house today with their kids. Maximus loves children and the second those boys were in the door, he was up on his paws, sniffing, tail wagging. I’m taking him to the vet for a follow-up visit on Monday and, as I write this, am on hold with Air Canada as I’m considering bringing him along to Montreal for the holidays. The trip shouldn’t be too stressful for him since he won’t be flying cargo but, if I can swing it, traveling as my carry-on. He’s by far the calmest of my dogs when it comes to traveling so hopefully this will prove a viable option should he not rebound from this recent downturn.

So, I figured I would get all my Christmas shopping done early and beat the rush. And I did. Or at least I thought I did until I realized I didn’t. So, this week, I wade my way back into the fray in search of scented soaps and gift certificates. The crowds are terrible, but the parking is even worse. For example:

In circumstances like these, I actually prefer to park in that nice, tight narrow spot, sliding in mere inches from them, and exit the passenger side.

Well, big football day tomorrow. And you know what means, right?

Yes, nothing says football like cream puffs!

Don’t want to get ahead of myself, but it looks like my Snow Monkeys may be poised for an upset in my R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league semi-final. Romo is lighting up the Bucs D and, after much consideration, I decided to play Dez Bryant after all – and he rewarded me by scoring a TD. And we’re only at halftime.

Also on tap tomorrow, in addition to football, is the Survivor finale. I’m rooting for Coach. But if Ozzie can keep winning and make it to the final three, then I certainly wouldn’t begrudge him the victory. After that, it’s off to the Stargate Christmas reunion. No idea who is going to be there, but here’s hoping for a good turnout. Hopefully, if the pieces fall into place re: Dark Matter (December 14, 2011: Dark (Matter) Developments!) we’ll be able to get the band back together in 2012!

So, what’s new on your end?
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-snow-monkeys/

December 18, 2011

Photos: Snow monkey, cream puffs, Akemi, Petunia, Lawren Bancroft-Wilson, Tio, Maximus

R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football post-season action saw my Snow Monkeys taking on Tio’s Popular Vote Petunia for the right to play in next week’s final. I agonized all morning over my line-up, considering and reconsidering my decision to play C.J. Spiller over Kevin Smith. Finally, a minute before kick-off, I switched out Spiller for Smith. Then, seconds later, switched back. Then, seconds after that, re-switched. Spiller thus sat on my bench and racked up 29 points while Smith disappointed by mustering less than 5. Fortunately, Tio played Manning (who had a terrible game) and, when the dust had settled on the second game, I was up by 29.38 points heading into tonight’s game pitting the Chargers vs. the Ravens. He has two more players to go (Antonio Gates and Anquan Boldin) and if they can put up 30 points between them, then my season is done. But if things hold to form and they fail to have breakout games, then the Snow Monkeys will be celebrating tonight!

Still on tap tonight: That third game of the triple-header in which all my Snow Monkey semi-final questions shall be answered, the Survivor finale and, of course, that Stargate reunion.

After spending an hour on hold, I finally got through to someone at Air Canada and made arrangements to transport Maximus (carry-on) to Montreal should the need arise. His condition hasn’t improved and we have an appointment with the vet tomorrow where we’ll discuss our options.
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...stmas-reunion/

December 19, 2011

Photos: R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league, Tio, Lulu, Mark, Tanja, Rob, Julie, Josh, Ken, Julia Benson, Peter, James, Bev, Lawren Bancroft-Wilson, Nathan and his wife, Akemi, Michelle, James, Mike Dupod, Kerry and friend

As it turned out, it wasn’t as close as I feared. My Snow Monkeys, after winning a must-win game to get into the playoffs, pulled off two successive post-season upsets to land themselves in my fantasy football league finals. Who the Snow Monkeys will be facing is entirely dependent on tonight’s Monday Night match-up. It’ll either be the Pigskin Pirates led by QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Wes Welker, TE Gronkowski and a ferocious 49ers D, or my long-time nemesis Daryl and his team, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, that beat us twice during the regular season. Either way, should be a fun match-up.

In addition to closing in on my first fantasy football league title, I also took the time to catch the Survivor season finale. My thoughts? Meh. It occasionally happens and it’s annoying when it does: one player outwits and outplays his competitors, some of whom take it personally and end up voting “not for him/her”. In this case “him”, Coach. Sorry, America, but Coach deserved the title this year (just like Russell Hantz should have won the season he made the finals). Yes, the social aspect is part of the game, but so is having the meager intellect to realize your competitors aren’t you’re friends, that they’re there to win and that, given the choice, they will probably choose the million dollars over you. The last Tribal is always fun as the embittered players get the opportunity to pout and vent and generally demonstrate exactly why they had no business being in the finale.

With Snow Monkeys and Survivor out of the way, he headed over to the Hotel Vancouver for holiday drinks with a modest gathering of Stargate alumni. Among those in attendance...

Nice to see (some of) the gang again. Here’s hoping we get so spend a lot more time together in 2012!
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ay-gift-reads/

December 20, 2011

Photos: Maximus, Akemi, gifts, The Man Who Ate Everything and It Must Have Been Something I Ate by Jeffrey Steingarten, City of Thieves by David Benioff, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim and When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris, The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon, Fool by Christopher Moore

On the heels of bringing Maximus in to see the vet on Monday, I’m faced with a tough decision. The fact is, he’s not going to get any better – this despite the special diet, the radiation treatment, and the anti-cancer vaccine. He only has a little time left. Of course, one could argue that, relatively speaking, we all have little time left. How much “little” is the question. Maximus has hung in there despite the odds. The vet calls him “a tough little guy,”. True, but he’s a tough little guy fighting a losing battle and I have to decide when it’s time to throw in the towel. The decision isn’t as simple as it may seem to the impartial observer. While he has been lethargic since his diagnosis back in July, it’s not exactly out of character for Maximus who has always been the laid-back type, preferring a cozy snooze over an afternoon walk. Also, the vet suspects that this lethargy may have more to do with the tramadol he is taking for the pain than the pain itself. As for his loss of appetite, the fact that he’s still drinking suggests his unwillingness to eat isn’t wholly pain-related either. In fact, the vet informs me that loss of appetite is common in cancer patients.

And so, because Maximus can’t talk to me and let me know exactly what’s going on, how he’s feeling, and what he’d like to do, I’m at a loss. Yes, given that I am leaving for Montreal this Friday, it certainly would be easy to make the final call over the next few days, but I won’t make a decision just because it’s easier for me. I want to make a decision that gives Maximus the most quality time available to him. I don’t want to ever look back and consider the possibility that, even subconsciously, my decision was dictated by my personal comfort. Max may be ill but he has nevertheless continues to demonstrate flashes of his old self, looking downright happy and excited when some kids came to the house the other day (and, notably, whenever he’s LEAVING the vet’s).

It would be easier to leave him back at home with the dog-sitter, or at the vet’s, but in the likely event that these are his last few days, I think I owe it to my buddy to be there for him. And so, I’ve arranged to bringing him along with us to Montreal. He’s always been a great traveler, sitting quietly in his sherpa bag for the duration of previous flights. The last time he stopped eating and I assumed he was on his last legs, the change of scenery from Toronto to Vancouver seemed to give him a second lease on life. Here’s hoping the switch from Vancouver to Montreal does the same.

Well , I’m pleased to report that I’ve covered everyone on my Christmas list. Figuratively speaking. The task of the literal covering has fallen to Akemi who gift-wraps with all the professionalism and artistic sensibility of – well, someone who has worked retail in Tokyo.

I’ve elected to go with a balance of personal and impersonal gifts this year. Sure, it’s easier to go with various scented soaps (see above), but I figured I’d also roll the dice this Christmas by offering some reading suggestions in the form of a few of my favorite non-genre books. It’s tough because almost everything I read is genre fiction (either SF, fantasy, or horror), but there have been a few exceptions...

You may know him as one of Iron Chef America’s most hard-to-please judges, but he’s also been Vogue Magainze’s food critic for the past twenty-two years. Along the way, he’s written countless food-related essays and these two books collect some of his most humorous pieces. Endlessly entertaining even for non-foodies.

Before becoming a writer and show runner on HBO’s Game of Thrones, David Benioff published this wonderful coming of age novel set in Leningrad during the second world war. Two young men are charged with the seemingly impossible task of locating a dozen eggs for the wedding of a Russian Colonel’s daughter.

Another humorous collection, this one an assortment of personal essays from one of the funniest writers out there, David Sedaris.

Yes, I said non-genre but this book’s near-future setting and endearing protagonist make it incredibly accessible. One of my top ten favorite reads.

King Lear told from the fool’s point of view. You don’t have to be familiar with the bard’s work to thoroughly enjoy this riotous novel. A terrific introduction to the wild and wonderful world of author Christopher Moore.

Finally – mom just finished Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand and is looking for another book along its quaint and comical lines. Any suggestions?
                sigpic

Comment

Poor Max.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...t-them-up-yum/

December 21, 2011

Photos: Maximus, Crispy Calamari, Kama, Uni

Thank you to all those who have taken the time to post a comment or send an email regarding my boy, Maximus. Tomorrow afternoon, he goes in for a shot of – I want to say “prednisone” which sounds right but, to be honest, could have just been something I once heard on a rerun of E.R.. Anyway, he’s going in for a shot of a corticosteroid that will hopefully help stimulate his appetite. Fingers crossed.

Speaking of appetites – one of my most favorite things in the world to do (next to exacting revenge on my enemies) is going to the market, picking up unique proteins available, and creating a meal around them. Now I know that many of you prefer your beef well done, your fish cooked, and your octopus on the mezzanine floor of your local aquarium. I, however, am a fairly adventurous eater and occasionally enjoy fare some would consider “exotic” (others “disgusting”). In an effort to help those of you looking to expand your culinary horizons (specifically those of you with your forthcoming New Year’s resolution to “eat weirder”), I’d like to offer a few suggestions/recipes to get you started...

Crispy Calamari

Beginner.

Not quite as daunting as other entries, squid can be found on the menu’s of even the most casual eateries – usually fried to crispy doneness and served with a dipping sauce.

Buying: Ask your local fishmonger. They usually carry the “tentacles and tubes”.

Recipe: Rinse your tentacles and tubes, then pat dry. Heat some sea salt (or salt of your choice) in a wok along with some peppercorns and spicier pepper seeds (ie. tepin or pequin) until they brown, then transfer them to a mortar where you will grind them to a fine powder with a pestle. Place three tablespoons of flour in a plastic baggie along with the ground powder and some Old Bay seasoning. Pour some vegetable oil into your wok and switch the heat to high. Transfer your tubes and tentacles into the baggie and give them a shake, making sure they’re good and coated. Once the oil is hot enough, lower the individual coated squid pieces into the wok and allow them to fry up to a golden brown (usually about a minute a piece). Serve with sweet chili dipping sauce (available in most grocery stores).

Kama

Intermediate.

If you’re feeling squeamish, you can just get the collar – but you’ll be missing out on the delicious cheek and head meat.

Buying: Available at most fish and seafood purveyors. And incredibly cheap!

Recipe: Rinse your fish heads and pat dry. Mix some sesame oil, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl, then slather over the fish heads, making sure to cover inside and out. Pop into the oven and broil for 10-15 minutes. Great with rice. Very Japanese!

Uni

Advanced.

Many who have sampled sea urchin at their local sushi joint have come away unimpressed. I know that when my writing partner tried it for the first time, he likened the flavor to “the open sea…right beside an open sewer main”. Much of the uni served in Japanese restaurants is packaged and, admittedly, possesses a bit of a funky flavor. Fresh uni – and by fresh, I mean scooped straight out of its spiny shell and served – is nothing like the packaged variety. It’s sweet and creamy and utterly delicious. Forget the fact that they look like little orange tongues.

Buying: Tough to get but if you find them at your local fish market, snap them up. I got mine at $10 a piece. It’ll run you roughly triple that at your high-end Japanese eateries.

Recipe: Have your local fishmonger open them up and scoop out the meat for you. Then bring them home and serve raw. Rice optional.

Well, the advance digital copies of the first issue of Dark Matter (December 14, 2011: Dark (Matter) Developments!) have gone out. Wait. What do you mean you didn’t receive yours? Okay, I’ll look into it. And while I’m at it, I should also get around to a couple of more online interviews. First up, a Q&A with Eric Whitman at The Daily Blam! (now featuring interviews with The Walking Dead composer Bear McCreary, Sam Elliott, Gary Oldman & Colin Firth) The Daily BLAM! | Entertainment News | Movies Television Gaming …), then another with for Nerd World News (check out their update on The Goon and advance trailers of The Hobbit and G.I. Joe: Retaltion – Nerd World News), and then one more with Ryan Thomason over at WatchPlayRead (presently offering sneak peeks at Secret Avengers 21.1 and Spartacus: Vengeance, WatchPlayRead – “It’s What We Do!”). I’ll let you know when the interviews are up once they let me know that the interviews are up.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ament-contest/

December 22, 2011

Video: Maximus

Photos: Maximus, other dogs, Akemi, Loving Hut, Crispy Chick 'n Burger, ornaments

Given the fact that the prognosis isn’t good for my pug, Maximus, we’ve decided to make the most of his remaining days. And so, this afternoon, taking advantage of a rare sunny day, we took him out for a walk along the seawall.

A great time was had by all.

Now Maximus may have lost his appetite, but mine’s doing just fine, thanks. On our way back to the car, we happened by a food truck I hadn’t visited yet as part of my Vancouver Food Truck Tour. The oversight was no doubt partly due to its location a little further away from the downtown core – but mostly due to its strictly vegan offerings.

LOVING HUT

Gourmet vegan sandwiches and burgers.

I had no idea what gardein was (from what I understand, it’s a soy-based protein fashioned to resemble meat) and, while I was initially apprehensive, it turned out to be quite tasty crispy-fried and topped with a spicy apricot/jalepeno relish and served on a fresh bun. Crazy as it sounds, given the choice I’d probably choose it over a regular burger.

So, the other day I put up the Christmas tree simply because I wanted to leave the dog-sitter with at least a touch of the holiday spirit, albeit a half-ass touch at that. The plastic tree is lopsided and bereft of branches in certain spotty areas and the lower half of the stringed lights are burnt out. To add insult to injury, the tree is sparsely decorated because Akemi seemed to lose interest partway through the process. When I asked her about it, she informed me that she was turned off by the selection of ugly ornaments. Ugly Christmas ornaments? Are there any other kind?

Of course, it’s all relative. There are ugly ornaments and then there are UGLY ornaments. Your challenge, dear reader, is to help me find the ugliest Christmas ornament out there. Just send in your pics and I’ll narrow down to a Top 3 Christmas day. I’ll get us started...

Got something hideous hanging off your tree? Send us the link!
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...mas-ornaments/

December 23, 2011

Photos: Pugs, christmas ornament

We’re Montreal-bound today so, rather than keep you waiting on a blog entry, I thought I’d post early and give you all a head start on your holiday planning.

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, digital advance copies of Dark Matter #1 went out to the various online sites. The reviews are starting to come in. Two to start:

Reviewark Matter from Dark Horse comics

Review: Dark Matter #1 – Rebirth | BAMFAS.com :: Entertainment …

So far, so good.

Also, over on the Dark Horse site, a little Q&A with yours truly:

5 Questions with a Writer – Joseph Malozzi: Dark Matter :: Blog …

And, in the unlikely event you’re wondering “What the heck is Dark Matter?”:

December 14, 2011: Dark (Matter) Developments!

I’ve got about a dozen more interviews lined up. It’s going to be a busy couple of weeks!

Fabulously Festive Furball Fotos...

Yesterday, I asked you all to send in pics and links to your ugliest Christmas ornaments. I kicked things off with four of my own. I thought they were mighty hideous – but, as it turns out, downright resplendent in comparison to the entry my lil sis sent in. Feast your eyes on THIS -

Think you can beat that?
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-championship/

December 24, 2011

Photos: Cookies, hyacinth bulbs, rabbit, Maximus, snow monkey

“Why so cold this country?” - Akemi after experiencing a single December day in Montreal

Well, we’re finally here. Finally. Following a two hour flight delay followed by a half hour delay on the tarmac while the ground crew tended to some emergency on the other side of the airport (aka “This eggnog aint gonna drink itself!”) followed by a twenty minute delay while we waited for our baggage, we finally got into Montreal and sat down for dinner at my mother’s house: at 10:30 p.m. I’m pleased to report that Maximus was his usually quiet, laid back self during the flight and, while nervous, seems to have settled in quite nicely. The prednisone the vet administered to him before we left Vancouver is apparently taking effect as he started eating again – his first willing meal in two weeks!

A couple of more Dark Matter-related links for your perusal…

Another positive review of the comic book’s first issue from Ryan Thomason at WatchPlayRead: Dark Matter #1 (of 4) is Pure Sci-Fi

An interview with yours truly over at Nerd World News: INTERVIEW: Joesph Mallozzi Talks About His Upcoming Mini Series …

Well, it could be because his team is on the verge of capturing their first Fantasy Football Championship in only their second year in fantasy league play. While it’s still very early, things are looking very promising. My opponent will need a HUGE performance from his players to overcome my Snow Monkeys’ hot start. It’ll all come down to tonight’s Green Bay/Chicago game (Go Bears!). Or possibly Roddy White on Monday Night Football.

GO SNOW MONKEYS!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...rry-christmas/

December 25, 2011

Photos: Maximus, Joe's cousins, Joe's aunts, Joe's sister, Joe's mom, pugs

Whew! I’m beat. Gonna sit back and watch the Sunday night game. If Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Grant fail to put up 50+ fantasy points for my opponent, then my Snow Monkeys win their first fantasy football league championship! If they do put up those 50+ points, then I’ll have to rely on Roddy White to come through for me tomorrow night. But let’s hope it doesn’t come to that?

How is everyone? Enjoying time with friends and family?

Today, we celebrated Christmas with the cousins and aunts...

What are you all up to this holiday season?
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...there-mailbag/

December 26, 2011

Photos: Maximus, The Mortal Bone by Marjorie M. Liu, snow monkeys

Over the course of this blog’s (recently spotty) Book of the Month Club, I’ve had the pleasure to discover many wonderfully talented writers – and make a few friends along the way. One such talented friend is author Marjorie M. Liu who dropped by the blog to discuss her book, The Iron Hunt, back in May of last year (May 14, 2011: Author Marjorie M. Liu Answers Your Questions! Stargate: SG-1 Memories! I Field Your Stargate: Universe Queries and More!) and dropped by the Stargate production studios to visit the set of one of her favorite shows (October 2, 2010: Your Affable Host! Tia Carrere! Marjorie M. Liu!).

Well, it turns out 2012 is going to be a busy year for Marjorie. The next book in her Hunter Kiss series hits store shelves tomorrow (December 27, 2011) and starting in March, she’ll be assuming the writing duties on Marvel’s Astonishing X-Men.

I asked her to stop by for a little chat...

What can fans of the Hunter Kiss series look forward to in The Mortal Bone?

MML: For those unfamiliar with the Hunter Kiss series, the premise is fairly simple — somewhere in the world there is a woman covered in living demonic tattoos that peel off her body at night, and become her own personal army.

It gets a bit more complicated after that. And by complicated, I mean that the “demons” are really creatures from another planet. Also, characters sometimes time travel, manipulate souls, and find themselves the subjects of genetic experimentation from an alien race capable of manipulating DNA with their minds.

The Mortal Bone is the fourth novel, and cuts right to the heart of the series: Maxine and her bond with Zee and “the boys”, who are her demonic warriors. Their bond was meant to be unbreakable, eternal — as essential to their lives as breathing — but when it’s suddenly broken and those demons are ripped from Maxine’s body, all of them are left adrift. Maxine is totally vulnerable to her enemies, and as the boys taste freedom for the first time in ten thousand years, they start to change for the worse.

If Maxine can’t find a way to reunite with them, they might just return to their old ways as Reaper Kings: the devourers of worlds.

Without giving too much away, how far has Maxine Kiss come since the events of The Iron Hunt?

MML: She’s a million miles away from where she started.

At the beginning of the series, Maxine’s purpose was very clear. Her mission was to kill all demons, without hesitation, because every single one — except those protecting her — were evil and a threat against humanity.

Those beliefs, however, were completely rattled by her relationship with the only man she’s ever loved, Grant Cooperon, who has his own powers — and by the discovery of a threat even greater than the demons: the Aetar, a race of energy-based beings responsible for bringing humanity to this planet thousands of years ago as genetically engineered playthings.

Everything Maxine thought she knew — even her own identity — has proven untrue, or just a small piece of a larger puzzle. The Mortal Bone pushes that one step further by questioning her most important relationship: the one she has with those demons who live on her body as tattoos.

What is it about Maxine that speaks to you as a writer? Is there a lot of Marjorie in our fearless demon hunter?

MML: I was speaking with a dear friend about this just the other day, and he said that of all my characters Maxine is the most like me. I was surprised. I’m not exactly ‘demon hunter’ material. I mulled for awhile, though, and realized that while I might not be much of a fighter — neither is Maxine. Her strength rests in her determination, and stubborn refusal to give up on the people she cares about. Also, despite herself, she’s a bit of an optimist. As much as anyone can be, I suppose, when you know the world is going to be devoured by a demonic army. I like to imagine I share some of those qualities!

In the same vein, you obviously have an affinity for Zee and the boys, as do many readers. What is it about them, do you think, that so appeals?

MML: Their loyalty, I suppose, and all that goofy gentleness and humor — mixed with devastating lethalness. These little demons are on a journey of redemption, which becomes very clear in The Mortal Bone.

What else do you have in the works and what can we look forward to in 2012?

MML: I was just named the ongoing writer for Astonishing X-Men, which will be penciled by Mike Perkins. Our first arc begins with Issue #48 in March. Also, I have a new novel called WhipStitch coming out this summer. It’s about a young woman who discovers that her Great Aunt was a famous dominatrix during World War Two — and that she and her nursing home friends, also retired dommes, get together once a week for their ‘old ladies dominatrix club’. Oh, and someone is trying to murder them.

Late 2012 will see the release of my new paranormal romance series. The first book, A Furious Darkness, takes place on a dystopian world where werewolf gypsy gladiators are forced to fight for their lives, while other monsters — vampires, shape-shifters — are persecuted and murdered by humans who control a vast zombie army.

Speaking of our humble Book of the Month Club – a gentle reminder to join us as, sticking with the comic book theme, we set our sights on BATGIRL: Batgirl Rising. Discussion begins the week of January 16th, 2012 with writer Bryan Q. Miller!

The entire R.I.P. Stargate fantasy football league season came down to last night’s football game. With my Snow Monkeys up big, my opponent needed 50 points from his players to overtake me. How’s he do? Would you believe 51 points?! Fortunately, I had a player in yesterday’s game as well – the Green Bay kicker – who put up a modest 5 points for me. Modest but much appreciated because it put me ahead 3.5 points with only one player active for tonight’s final game. Fortunately, that player is mine and barring a complete catastrophe that sees him fumbling the ball twice AND not gaining a single yard, that championship is mine. But I’ll hold off on the celebration another day (you guys are all invited. BYOB!). Don’t want to jinx it.

Mailbag:

Deni writes: “…then to the Guatemalan restaurant for tamales…”

Answer: I’m curious. What sorts of tamales do they serve at Guatemalan restaurants?

Lisa R. writes: “I didn’t choose what happened to us this year, but I can see the growth we have all experienced through it.”

Answer: Well, here’s hoping 2012 is a much better year. For all of us!

woody woodward writes: “Me. Someone who knows nothing about shooting weddings or people for that matter.”

Answer: Oh, I’m sure it’s like riding a bike or playing the banjo. It’ll just come naturally.

libkat writes: “That pasta dish in the photo looks fantastic. Baked ziti?”

Answer: More or less. By mother calls is Pasta al forno. The secret is the little meatballs!

Elminster writes: “Just left with one daughter at home, and she feels the same as me ’bout Christmas. So, had a very nice, low-key, one with just the 2 of us this year. I liked it.”

Answer: To be honest, I tend to prefer the nice and quiet get-togethers as well. Yesterday, Akemi kept asking why everyone was shouting at each other. I informed her that no one was angry. Just Italian.

Dallas Marshall writes: “What is the white bulldog’s name?”

Answer: Lola. The baby was cute but, given the choice, I’d take the dog.

Cherluvya writes: “We will be having a catfish fry at one of the ranches…that one is my favorite.”

Answer: Mine too! Cornmeal-crusted? A barbecue joint near my place serves up a mean catfish po’boy.

Mike A. writes: “…heard how the set was dog-friendly to the point where people would bring their dogs to work all the time to Bridge Studios.”

Answer: Yes, that was one of the many great things about working on Stargate. Dogs were always welcome. In fact, I recall one German fan magazine doing a feature on “The Dogs of Stargate”. I believe it included a pic of me and the pugs in the gate room.

Mike A. also writes: “ That leaves me with just 6 points to make up with my Drew Brees versus his Lance Moore tomorrow night. I know typically, this is no contest, but hey, anything is possible in fantasy football and I know full well not to start counting chickens!”

Answer: I feel the same way – cautiously optimistic – but I have a feeling we’ll both be celebrating tonight. Here’s hoping for the Brees to Colston connection!

Mike A. also writes: “Is Max continuing to eat better?”

Answer: Yes, the prednisone appears to have worked! He’s actually eating…and hungry!

JeffW writes: “In my family we would open family presents on Christmas eve and presents from outside the family on Christmas day. My wife’s family considered it sacrilege to even have presents under the tree until Christmas morning, let alone opening them (the parents would go down first on Christmas morning to “verify that Santa had come”). We compromised by opening one family present Christmas eve and then the rest on Christmas Day.”

Answer: Growing up, we always opened our presents Christmas Eve. In later years, because Christmas Eve’s were so exhausting, we tended to open our gifts Christmas morning. This year, we were exhausted both Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day so we opened our gifts today! My sister wasn’t pleased with the wait and suggested we might as well wait until next week.

JeffW also writes: “My impression of Japanese Christmas traditions (imported as they are) are a bit scattered, so it made me a little curious.”

Answer: The Japanese don’t really celebrate Christmas in the same way we do in the West. It’s not really about family but more of a romantic holiday for couples. New Years, on the other hand, is the big family event in Nihon.

PG15 writes: “Hey everybody! Miss me?”

Answer: Heeeeeey, Peter! Believe it or not, I was just thinking about you yesterday. I was going to ask the gang to put out an APB on you. Great to hear you’re well. How are the Beavers doing? And don’t be a stranger!

Thonryrose writes: “Actually went to the movies (War Horse: bit sappy but still a good movie.)”

Answer: And loooong I hear. I saw one critic refer to it as Bore Horse. Unwarranted?

Thornyrose also writes: “The holiday is unfortunately marred by the Christmas Eve death of a friend,

Maggiemayday writes: “Baked cranberry sauce (secret ingredient: Chambord)…”

Answer: Hey, that’s the secret ingredient in my Fruit Punch (which also includes every other fruit-based liqueur in my liquor cabinet).

dasNdanger writes: “Mr. Das was at the rowdy table playin Yahtzee with the guys.”

Answer: Rowdy table? Yahtzee?

Debra writes: “Hey you going to ask your ex-coworkers to invite her over while she is in France?”

Answer: It looks like my ex co-workers may actually be Berlin-bound!
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...g-those-gifts/

December 27, 2011

Photos: R.I.P. Stargate Fantasy Football League, snow monkeys, christmas ornament, Roxy, Felix, Joe's sister, Joe's mom, Akemi, Joe Mallozzi, gifts, Maximus

SNOW MONKEYS WIN! SNOW MONKEYS WIN!

My Snow Monkeys are this season’s RIP Stargate Fantasy Football Champs! After failing to make the playoffs in their first year in league play, the Snow Monkeys made a better showing this season – but it wasn’t easy. After starting out an impressive 5-2 and knocking off the undefeated I Have No Imagination, the Snow Monkeys went 2-4 to finish the regular season. Fortunately, their 7-6 record coupled with a crushing victory in a must-win game to end the regular season saw them snap up the last playoff spot. Clearly, they were a team of destiny. Their first match-up was in the wildcard round, a return match against I Have No Imagination – and another victory. Their following playoff game saw them face off against the hottest team in the league, Popular Vote Pentunia – and score yet another victory. But they faced their toughest match-up yet in the championship game when they faced off against the #1 team in the league, The Pigskin Pirates. It was close but, thanks to big performances by the likes of Cam Newton, Kevin Smith, Rashard Mendenhall, and CJ Spiller, they captured the 2011 RIP Stargate Fantasy Football League crown!

We were too tired to open gifts Christmas Eve, then still too tired to open them Christmas Day, so we ended up opening our presents Boxing Day. I ended up snapping about 150 pics. I’ll spare you about 130 of ‘em...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X