Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...im-you-decide/

September 12, 2009

Photos: Dinner, Martin Gero - Fashion Victor or Victim?

Well, after months of hearing producer John Lenic rave about it, I finally checked out one of Vancouver’s hottest Italian restaurants last night. Truth is I would have dined at La Quercia sooner, but reservations have been very hard to come by. Fortunately, I was able to snag a table for two last night for a fine-by-me early 5:30 seating. It’s a tiny place with easy to miss signage but we managed to find it – eventually. As did most everyone else who had reservations on the night. By 5:45 p.m., the place was packed.

When it came time to order, we had plenty to choose from. There’s the regular menu and the fresh sheet (that boasts as many items as that regular menu), or one could choose to do Alla Famiglia dining for $40 or $59 which is essentially a homey Italian version of the Chef’s tasting menu. Our waitress informed us that the $40 version is comprised of five courses while the $59 version offers up 11(!) courses and is recommended for a later seating as it takes a good 2-3 hours to complete. Sounded great to me, but I had the feeling my wife wouldn’t be up for a lengthy stay, so I suggested the more manageable $40 option. My wife hemmed and hawed, then informed me she was going to order a la carte as she was steering clear of pasta and like starches (although that didn‘t stop her from “tasting“ my pasta – repeatedly). Since the Alla Famiglia option necessitates the entire table participate, I opted to put together my own little tasting menu comprised of half-portions of three pasta dishes that had caught my eye, two from the regular menu and one from the fresh sheet. Our waitress was more than happy to make it happen.

For her appetizer, my wife had the prosciutto e melone, an Italian standard – but there was nothing standard about this version according to my wife who loved the prosciutto but raved about the atypical melon.

For my first course, Spaghetti al’amatriciana, served with Smoked pork cheek, chillies, and san marzano tomatoes. Simply astounding. The spaghetti was perfectly cooked, just this side of al dente, with a sensationally sweet and smoky sauce. It was so good, I wanted to get up and tell everyone in the restaurant who had yet to order to seriously consider the spaghetti. Fondy sampled it – several times – and couldn’t stop talking about it for the rest of the meal.

My second course was the Agnolotti di Guido – Stuffed pasta, veal, chard, ricotta, and parmigiano. Whereas the spaghetti was bold and intense, the agnolotti were subtle, delicate in their flavoring yet no less delicious. Again, perfectly cooked, the way pasta is supposed to be served (note: those of you who prefer your pasta cooked to a straw-sucking consistency need not apply).

For our mains, Fondy went with the Anatra in due cotture – Duck breast, duck confit salad, red currants. She loved it.

My third course was a wonderful Pappardelle with chicken livers and guanciale that brought us back to pronounced (but not overwhelming) flavors – juicy little livers nestled in a mound of long, toothsome flat pasta.

Excellent all around. In fact, so good I’d even consider taking my notoriously critical Italian mother the next time she’s in town. (http://www.laquercia.ca/)

Inspired by my outing, I dashed off an email to my buddy Carl. Two years ago, we dedicated many an outing to finding Vancouver’s best schnitzel. Last year, it was the search for the best hamburger. This year, we kick off Pasta Quest 2009! Makes me sad Marty G. is no longer in town.

Speaking of Martin Gero, I sent him an email the other in response to a comment left on this blog by a fan who had spotted him in Vegas wearing – seriously – a plaid suit! I wrote: “You’ve only been in L.A. a couple of months and you’re already dressing like David Arquette! WTF?!” He wrote back: “ RE: Plaid suit…it was a giant hit. A risk, I thought you’d be proud of. Wore it to the Bored premiere…Ted Danson called it the best suit ever…and I THINK he might have even been serious (cough).” He included a link to the aforementioned fashion statement: http://twitpic.com/hgig3

I dunno. I’m still unconvinced. But far me it for me to judge (as I am the least judgmental person you could ever hope to meet). No, let the public decide.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-that-i-hated/

September 13, 2009

Photos: Little Miss Sunshine, Spiderman 2, Seven, Brazil, Moulin Rouge, Death Proof, The Usual Suspects, Austin Powers: Goldmember, Scarface, Six Degrees of Seperation

How often does it happen? You’re sitting somewhere with friends or co-workers and the topic of conversation turns to movies. Pretty soon, everyone is talking about their favorites, fondly recalling scenes, quoting memorable dialogue, while you sit there, mouth shut. You have nothing to say. Actually, you do have something to say, but it’s probably something along the lines of “You‘ve gotta be kidding me. That movie was crap.”

I’m sure we all have our “reverse favorites”, those flicks everyone else just seems to adore that you dislike (and, eventually, grow to hate because people kept telling you how fantastic they are). Well, hat follows is my list of The Top 10 Movies Everyone Else Loved That I Absolutely Hated:

Little Miss Sunshine: Yes, call me heartless (many of my co-workers did) but I hated this movie and still don’t understand it’s appeal. Carl argues that it’s touching and heartfelt. I counter it’s awkward and downright bizarre. The kid is supposed to be an adorable social outcast but her behavior goes beyond anti-social well into psychologically aberrant territory. And given her support system, it’s no wonder. Ultimately, a movie about a mentally challenged family played for laughs.

Spiderman 2: Don’t even try to convince me that this movie was good, much less better than the original. From Aunt May’s laughably rambling monologue to our hero’s Christ-like body surf down a subway car, what this movie misses in plausibility it makes up for in a complete lack of subtlety. Also, who knew that one could snuff out an overloading nuclear reactor by simply dropping it into a large body of water. Hunh.

Seven: A nasty little movie that essentially contradicts it’s own internal logic in order to deliver it’s “shock” ending. Throughout the movie, the serial killer dispatches of his victims thematically. Each, in his mind, is guilty of one of the 7 Deadly Sins and is murdered accordingly. An obese man (gluttony) is forced to eat until his stomach ruptures. A model (pride) has her nose cut off and is driven to suicide rather than live with her disfigurement. A lawyer (greed) bleeds to death after being forced to hack off a pound of his own flesh. All well and good until the end of the movie when he murders the detective’s wife. And despite the arguments that, by so doing, he becomes his own victim (envy) in driving the detective to kill him (thus making the detective wrath), there’s still the fact that he broke his own M.O. and logic by murdering a perfectly innocent pregnant woman to get there. A morally bereft movie that opened the door to the hollow and vile likes of the Saw series.

Brazil: A big budget wank whose out-of-nowhere twist doesn’t surprise as much it sucker-punches you in the gut. Enjoying the movie so far? Well then enjoy THIS, *****!

Moulin Rouge: I picked this one up for my mom because she enjoys musicals. Well, she didn’t enjoy this one – and neither the hell did I. In fact, my mother found it embarrassingly cheesy. Seriously, if MY mother says something is cheesy, then you can bet your ass that it’s an affront to the very term. People talk about the wonderful musical numbers (I’d argue that a couple of 50 year old guys singing Like A Virgin is an acquired taste), but nobody ever mentions the pat plot and atrocious dialogue. I hated this movie so much, it actually makes me mad to think about it.

Death Proof: I’m a big fan of Quentin Tarantino. Still, as much as I love Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, I really, REALLY hated Death Proof. Remarkably, more offensive than the misogynist terror and violence are the movie’s frustratingly tedious, self-indulgent streams of dialogue.

The Usual Suspects: Yes, I guessed the twist (the fumbling with the lighter gave it away), but that’s not why I hated this movie – although, in retrospect, had I not guessed the ending and been surprised it may have mitigated my overwhelmingly negative response. The problem I had with this movie was that, at the end of the day, it didn’t matter what any of these people did. They were screwed from the get-go. Whether they tried to flee, completed the assigned mission, or were merely peripheral to the scheme, there was absolutely no hope for any of them. As a result, the movie was, for me, more a filmic exercise than a dramatic work.

Austin Powers: Goldmember: Really, in all fairness, I could include all three movies in the series (well, maybe not the first one because I stopped watching halfway through) but I go with Goldmember because it’s the one that I hear quoted so often. Yeah, I get it. It’s supposed to be stupid, sexist, and racist because it’s, uh, making fun of stupid, sexist, racist movies. Sure, but if you’re aiming for satire, I’d argue you have to be at least somewhat clever. Really, just a hodgepodge of moronic scenes played for forced laughs.

Scarface: Yes, the overwhelming favorite of adolescent boys – and grown men with all of the emotional depth and intellect of adolescent boys. Pacino’s performance is spectacularly overwrought (egads, that Cuban accent!) but, in retrospect, positively restrained when compared to his later works (Scent of a Woman anyone?).

Six Degrees of Separation: Plagued by the sort of stilted dialogue and affected “playing to the cheap seats” performances that typify most theatrical productions, this one had me stepping out into the lobby for occasional “breathers”. A perfect argument for why plays belong on the stage and not on the big screen.

I’m sure there are plenty of you who’ll vehemently disagree with some (if not all) of my choices. Would love to hear your argument for the defense. Or some of your Movies Everyone Else Loved But You Hated.
      sigpic

Comment

Just a public THANK YOU! to jumper_one for reposting the relevant stuff from JM's blog to here.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

September 14, 2009 - Part 1

Photos: John G. Lenic

Congratulations! Your twitter harrassment has paid off as, only days after mentioning his fantastic restaurant recommendation, Stargate Producer John G. Lenic finally finished off his fan Q&A and sent his responses our way. I’ve been working with John for going on ten years now and I can honestly say that he is one of the hardest working people on Stargate. First one in (regardless of how early the call) and last one out (no matter how late the shoot), he also happens to be one of the most important members of the production. And, perhaps most important of all – he’s a major foodie!

So, today, I turn this blog over to John G. Lenic – producer, gourmand, and crossfit fanatic…

Daniel Willis writes: “You started off on Stargate SG-1. What level of experience did you have at the time? What else had you worked on? What did you start off as?”

JL: I started on SG-1 as the Assistant to Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Greenburg, Co-Executive Producers at that time. I also was their Director Of Development for Gekko Film Corp. Previous to that, I had produced a music video, a documentary on the death of Kurt Cobain and was the Assistant to the Producer on 13 TV Movies Of The Week for NBC/ABC/CBS. You can check my imdb page to see all the titles, as they are too long to re-write here.

Silversi writes: “So SG-1’s theme song came with (unofficial?) lyrics: “Stargate it’s a great big world with a great big swirl and you step inside to another world…” Are there any official/unofficial lyrics to go with SGA’s theme— and possibly SGU’s?”

JL: I wish I knew…there are no Lyrics to the SGA theme that I am aware of and as for SGU, we will have to wait and hear the theme music. You can let me know if anything jumps to mind for Lyrics on that one.

Shiningwit writes: “Did you have any idea when working on COTG that the Stargate franchise would be so successful?”

JL: I knew from the time that I heard that Stargate was going to be produced as a TV series that it was going to be successful. I don’t think I realized just how successful, but I did know it had the ability to be a great series.

“What other projects have you worked on/are you working on?”

JL: Besides 13 TV Movies, I produced a couple random music videos, a documentary of how the death of Kurt Cobain affected so many young people and working on SG-1 gave me the opportunity to make a feature film with the wonderful David Hewlett. As for future things in development, Hewlett, Jane Loughman and I are developing a single camera comedy TV pilot called Starcrossed, about the behind the scenes workings of a Sci-Fi TV series. As for other projects, I have a couple in development but don’t really want to say much until we are further along, but one is with Argentinean Director/Writer Santiago Giralt.

“How do you relax in your spare time (assuming you have any)?”

JL: I have 2 dogs, so we do a lot of hiking in and around Vancouver. I also do Crossfit (www.crossfit.com or www.crossfit.ca), which is like going to the gym except a little more intense…it helps me get rid of stress and clear my mind. Crossfit is the method that Zach Snyder used to physically train all the actors for the movie 300. I also got Brian J. Smith and Alaina Huffman into as well.

Shirt ‘n Tie writes: “Many thanks for taking part in this Q&A. We often hear that the Stargate crew and cast are like a “well oiled machine.” Having been there from day one when the cogs were being put together (so to speak), you have seen all of the changes. So, what has been the biggest change (in a logistical way) from COTG to SGU? Also, what is your favorite moment of the Stargate Franchise? Your appearance on 200 as a wedding guest? Thanks again Mr. L for your time and talent.”

JL: Good question…their have been a few logistical things to speak about. Firstly, from a logistical stand point, we used to shoot SG-1 on 16mm film, then in season 3 I think, we went to 35mm film and then in season 8 we went to the Sony F900 HD cameras and then on the last couple years of Atlantis, we went to the Panasonic HD cameras and now on SGU, we are using the Genesis HD system. You must realize that there are so many idiosyncrasies with working with each camera system. We had to adapt to each one both on set and in postproduction. All of the above had some pitfalls. The best one to work with thus far is the Genesis system. Although expensive to rent, the picture looks fantastic, as close to a film look as you are going to get in the digital domain. Film still is from a look perspective and in my opinion, the best looking format to shoot on. We extensively tested 9 different camera systems over a two-day period prior to settling on the Genesis system for SGU. The only reason that we didn’t go film is financial. Film still is roughly $18,000 more per episode then digital as you have all the developing and transferring of the film to do after it is shot.

Secondly, the change of cast over the 3 series has made a huge impact on our jobs. You have personalities that can affect everyone’s job and how they do it. In SG-1, we had RDA, who was fantastic to work with and so extremely charismatic. As a proud father he wanted to get home to his daughter every weekend. As we got into later seasons the travel took its toll and we had to give him extra days in LA on either side of the weekend. That meant that we had to schedule Amanda, Michael and Chris around him. Then Amanda had a baby, which involved more scheduling. Amanda, Michael and Chris were really great about everything though. We really got to know each other working 12 – 14 hours a day together, 5 days a week, for 10 years. It was a pleasure!

Out of the Atlantis cast, I really enjoyed working with David Hewlett and Rachel Luttrell; they are both wonderful and talented people. I wish them luck in their future non-SG endeavors, as I know they both have other projects that they are passionate about in the works.

There are so many, but here goes an attempt at a few of them…

One Favorite moment was the last day of shooting on season 10. Robert Cooper, who was directing at the time, wanted to shoot the last scene of the episode as the last thing we did. He wanted it to be a moment to remember. We set it up and brought the cast in as usual, except this time they were all in tears, along with all the crewmembers that had been on the show for all 10 seasons. That truly was a moment to remember and reflect upon, as I don’t know how many people get the opportunity to work on the same project for 10 years.

Another favorite moment came on SGU when Robert Carlyle shot a scene by himself for the pilot. In the scene, he comes into his room in Icarus, puts his iPod in to listen to a piece of music, sits on the bed and looks at a picture and starts to cry. There was not a dry eye behind the monitor. It made everyone there realize we were in the presence of a star actor.

My other favorite moments for me are this season on SGU. Coming to work every day with such great people makes for a lot of laughter throughout the days. People like Julie Reider, our accountant, George Horie, my partner in crime, the amazing production office, Nathan, Tanja, David and Chad who put up with me and of course Brad and Robert, who really are instrumental in why we all love to work there and why we have had so many of the same people return year after year.

Patricia Lee writes: Thank you so much for taking the time from your busy schedule to answer questions. We have only seen you on a few behind the scenes features. Will we get to see you more on the DVD extras soon?”

JL: I don’t know if you will see me in any DVD extras anytime soon. I tend to shy away from the camera and don’t seek them out. Probably a better question for Ivon Bartok as he produces those DVD features you watch.

“Having various jobs on the Stargate franchise over the last twelve-plus years, what were your most challenging and easiest positions?”

JL: Good question… Easiest isn’t really a position that exists in the film and TV industry but I would have to say that I absolutely loved working with Rick and Mike. Also when I worked with Rick and Mike I was in a position that, although I had my own responsibilities, they paled in comparison to the responsibilities that I have now with managing the budget and schedule for the show.

I would have to say that the hardest thing over the years was when we shot both SG-1 and Atlantis simultaneously. It really wasn’t a good way to make television, in my opinion. Although, it saved money financially, I feel strongly that both shows suffered from not only a creative stand point but also from a cast and crew burn out perspective. We had to share sets and stage space and you had to know the schedules for each show before you could schedule anything. It was something that, given the choice, I wouldn’t want to do again.

“Can you please try to convince TPTB to film a writer’s spin session for the DVD extras? As a fan, I would love to see the process. Or, if the writers are totally opposed to that idea, how about having Ivon show us the different phases a show goes through before it is completed?”

JL: I am not sure how well a piece like this would do. I know it may be of interest to some of the fans, but truly, it would be very boring and horrible to shoot as the writer’s spin sessions can last over a period of days.

“As a producer for Stargate, I am sure you have had moments when you have wondered if you will be able to organize something in time for shooting. Could you give us an example of a “SNAFU” that you were able to rectify at the last moment, thus prompting your well-deserved nickname of “Miracle Worker?””

JL: Mother Theresa was a miracle worker…I just work hard and luckily get to do what I love. Probably a question best asked of somebody else.

“Have you pulled any good or bad jokes on the set or in the office? Have any been played on you, and if so, will you share a story or two? Do you have any interesting Joe Mallozzi stories?”

JL: I don’t really have any good Joe Mallozzi stories except that he is the best-dressed man on the show and tells the best stories. He can make anyone feel gullible. Our Production Office especially one of our coordinators, Tanja Balic likes to make fun of the way I apparently pose for the camera, so above her desk are various shots of me in the pose she says I make and then a lot of other pictures of others striking as she calls it, “The Lenic” pose.

“Can I please be your date for Joe’s Chocolate Party? I can be in Vancouver in less than three hours. I had to ask! You never get anything unless you put yourself out there, right?”

JL: I would totally invite you, but I am afraid that my partner may have something to say about that as he is a huge chocolate lover and loves that party.

“Along the same lines as “if you don’t ask, you never know,” would you ever consider instituting a “bring-a-fan” workday? Joe could have an occasional contest and the winners could win a day shadowing a producer. Now that would be the best prize ever!”

JL: It is a fun idea, except we have so many labor rules and workers’ compensation issues that make it impossible for us to do that.
          sigpic

Comment

September 14, 2009 - Part 2

GateFanSamJack writes: “How hard would it be to get a theatrical release for the third SG-1 movie?”

JL: Putting a movie into theaters costs a few million dollars more then just releasing it on DVD. MGM would really have to get behind the project to invest that kind of money and I think the statistics show that even though the movie would probably do OK in theaters, I think that it is much more lucrative as a DVD release.

“How has the Stargate franchise’s relationship with the U.S. Air Force changed from SG-1 to SGA to SGU?”

JL: On SG-1 the USAF was involved heavily as we used the footage of Cheyenne Mountain in each episode. They wanted to make sure that on Earth we showed every member of military personnel the right way. They were all over us if somebody was shown “out of regs”. On one episode they actually told us that if we didn’t make an effort to fix (re-shoot) the scene where this female military officer on the Daedalus wore her hair down that they would not permit us to use the Cheyenne Mountain footage in the episode. We had to use that footage, so we ended up cutting around the scene to a point where the USAF was comfortable.

On Atlantis, they weren’t involved nearly as much as they didn’t really care what we did while we were on the other side of the universe. They did try at one point in season 1 to get Joe Flanigan to cut his hair so that it was within regulation. Joe didn’t respond too well to that, so the Air Force ended up backing off.

“What would be included in a script that would blow the budget when SG-1 started? How does that compare to 2009?”

JL: SG-1 was extremely underfunded in its first season, so every episode was extremely over budget. Usually the big sets and/or big visual effects are our biggest issues.

“Heroes 2 is one of my favorite episodes, partly because of how punked I was by that interview editing scene before they cut to big explosions off-world. The DVD commentaries hinted that this episode’s production didn’t follow the original plan. What made life interesting for you during the production of that episode?”

JL: Well, it started out as a single 1-hour episode and due to the amount of footage that was shot; we were able to turn it into a 2-part episode. That made it interesting cause we had to go back and shoot scenes that had to be seamlessly edited to scenes that shot two months prior. If I remember, we didn’t actually shoot that Alkesh bombing sequence until we shot the second part…that tremendous explosion took a lot of prep time and the amount of explosives that Wray Douglas and his team used was insane.

Morjana writes: Hi John! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions. You’re so young! IMDB writes your first credit in 1994. Were you a film school graduate? Is that how you got started as a film producer?”

JL: I went for a two-year film and TV program at UCLA and then came back to Vancouver and went to Vancouver Film School. I have always wanted to be a producer and just knowing that, at a young age made me able to choose the best path to take. It did take a lot of hard work and proving myself, but I think it has all paid off.

“Favorite memory from working on SG-1, SGA, Continuum and A Dog’s Breakfast?”

JL: SG-1 went for 10 years and 2 movies, so I have so many great memories. One that I failed to mention earlier was when I, as a producer’s assistant in season 1 was asked by Amanda Tapping to accompany her down the red carpet to the opening of the Vancouver Planet Hollywood. Seems so cheesy now, cause it was Planet Hollywood, but back in the day, it was huge. Arnold Swarzenegger and Bruce Willis were there as well as every other celebrity shooting in Vancouver at the time. They had a whole city block shut down for the red carpet…and people were everywhere cheering and it was such a great high. It was so much fun.

“Could you please explain the differences between being a production manager and a producer?”

JL: A producer is legally and financially responsible for the show. A producer is also responsible for the schedule and the execution of the final shooting schedule. A production manager works with the producer to make sure everything stays on budget. The PM deals with the day to day crew and operations side while the producer deals with the cast, script and scheduling.

“Just how awesome is Joe Mallozzi?”

JL: Joe is one of the greatest guys to work with. He is extremely gracious and sympathetic to everyone’s needs. He is also the best-dressed producer around.

“Your most favorite anecdote from all your years working on Stargate?”

JL: I left this question to the very end out of all the questions Joe sent me in the hopes of finding that one great anecdote from the last 13 years. There have been so many great times, so many hard times and so many truly memorable times over the years that I can’t name just one. This is a great place to come to work everyday, with great people and I couldn’t imagine having a better place to have called home for the last 13 years.

Major D. Davis writes: Thank you so much for doing this Q&A. I am really grateful when TPTB take time from their busy schedules to answer fans’ questions. So here come the questions. Will the budget for the upcoming movies (Atlantis and SG-1) be seven million dollars like the previous two?”

JL: We have not been given any parameters for the movies yet. It is quite a financial process to coming up with a final budget number. We are waiting to find out if BC will match the tax credits of Ontario. That will determine how much we will be able to spend on the movies.

“What is the budget for Air (all three parts) and what is the normal budget for a SGU episode?”

JL: I am afraid that we still have to have some financial secrets in this industry, which is why I cannot answer this question.

“How hard is it to arrange to shoot somewhere offsite or in the forest? How big of a crew do you normally bring?”

JL: These days it isn’t too hard to arrange an off site shoot. Most locations around Vancouver are used to it all by now so the process is pretty streamlined. Our shooting crew usually runs around 90 – 130 people, depending on how many shooting elements and/or extras are required on location.

“So far on SGU, what is your primary subtask, such as breaking up the budget, calling places and getting permits to shoot offsite, making sure there is food for everyone, making sure all of the equipment is accounted for, etc.?”

JL: Scheduling and managing the budget are my primary tasks. Secondarily, the management of the cast, the directors and their needs.

“What are your favorite TV shows that you watch regularly?”

JL: True Blood, Nip/Tuck, Brothers and Sisters, Top Chef, American Idol, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Amazing Race, The F Word, The Biggest Loser. Those are the shows I watch regularly and would probably watch more if I had the time. I watch most shows on DVD, where I can take my time; otherwise my DVR gets full too quickly.

“If you weren’t employed by the Stargate team, would Stargate be a show you would watch regularly and enjoy?”

JL: I am really looking forward to SGU as it is Sci-Fi and drama and the scripts so far have been fantastic.

Everiss writes: “I’m not sure if this is the right kind of question for a producer, but what is your understanding of time travel in SG-1 and SGA? Specifically, when someone interferes with the past do they change the base timeline, or do they create an AU branch? Also, if they are creating an AU, do the key scientists like Sam and Rodney, realize that? These questions have nagged at me, particularly as shown in SGA’s The Last Man.”

JL: I am afraid that I am not really that up to speed with the “Science” aspect of the show. I would suggest asking this question of Joe Mallozzi or Brad Wright as they have both had a hand in writing time travel episodes.

Snakey writes: “Thank you for all of your years of great SG producing and best wishes for many years to come. I have seen in some TV shows where the opening credits go on and on for sometimes 15 minutes, while also including some six, seven or eight producers or executive producers mentioned separately. Why are there so many on one episode and why couldn’t they just be named together to cut down on the length of time for said credits? You guys aren’t really that egotistic, are you?”

JL: As a show progresses in age, the only true way to show you appreciate a person’s work, and commitment, is to give them a credit for their work. Separate cards are a personal contract negotiation and industry standard.

Michelle writes: “I had the pleasure of meeting John Lenic at the A Dog’s Breakfast screening in LA! My questions are geeky, FYI. I love the whole idea of being a production manager. What software do you use for your job (for example, for scheduling and budgeting)? Do you use your mobile devices to send out schedules to everyone?”

JL: I know some shows have switched over to EP Budgeting and Scheduling but here we still use Movie Magic Budgeting and Scheduling. We find the Movie Magic versions to be more user friendly for the most part.

“How do you communicate last-minute production changes on-the-fly so the crew doesn’t lose too much time?”

JL: We use the Assistant Directors and Production Office to broadcast to all crew any last minute changes that happen.

“What sort of issues arise among various teams, and how do you mediate them?”

JL: Meetings — lots and lots of meetings. Sometimes, too many, but it truly is the best way to solve issues by getting everyone in the same room.

“How much freedom do you have if you need to spend more than you had budgeted because of some contingency?”

JL: We have a great relationship with MGM and as long as at the end of the season once everything is said and done, we are on budget, we are able to add some contingency to certain episodes if we feel it is necessary.

“How does your role fit with those of the director and the executive producers?”

JL: I see my role as trying to facilitate the best I can at getting both the EP’s and Director’s vision to the screen. Yes, sometimes we have to sit down and talk about financially feasible ways of making things work, but for the most part we get creative and give everybody what they are looking for.

“What percentage of your time do you spend on set/location versus around the office?”

JL: I would like to be able to spend a lot more time on set, but when you are constantly prepping the upcoming episode it is hard to break away from those meetings during the day. Once everything is on set it is often too late for change, but if you have a good prep, everything happens the way it was supposed to…most of the time.

“Great work on ADB! Was it worth all of the mud and the rain?”

JL: ADB was so much fun to make and I absolutely adore David Hewlett and Jane Loughman, so that made up for the rain. The mud and rain just made things more interesting. It was great to see a group of people who just wanted to make a movie and we all pulled everything together and it all worked. We were so happy for that.
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-in-vancouver/

September 15, 2009

Photos: Scott Stofer, Wray Douglas, a typical day on the lot...

Well, looks like I’m going to have to print a retraction. My “Movies That Everyone Else Loved That I Hated” entry engendered a fair amount of controversy in the writers’ room. Mainly, it was Exec. Producer Robert Cooper who was doing most of the complaining, insisting that the term “Everyone Loved” is wildly inaccurate. He felt the need to point out that, in fact, he and my producing partner Paul Mullie both hated Spiderman 2. And, for the record, Rob also shares my intense dislike for Moulin Rouge, as does fellow Exec. Producer Carl Binder. We were unanimous in our hatred of Death Proof. But their love for Little Miss Sunshine remains undiminished.

The aforementioned post also resulted in some very interesting comments, a few of which included a listing of your personal “non-favorite” flicks. I was strolling by Carl’s office yesterday when I heard him shout: “Annie Hall?!!!” with the sort of indignant outrage usually reserved for aggressive panhandlers or deeply disappointing series finales. Turns out someone had listed Annie Hall as a movie they hated. Carl was, of course, beside himself because Annie Hall is his favorite film of all time. Well, I managed to talk him down and then left him, seething but significantly less agitated, to scroll through the rest of the fan comments. I was halfway down the corridor when I heard him shout: “Pocahontas?!!!” Yeah. That one he actually wrote. Ouch. He was still weeping quietly in his office as I was leaving work today.

Movement on the comic book project front. If you didn’t know (Which indicates you haven’t been reading this blog on a regular basis. Shame on you. Hit the archives in the right sidebar.) Paul and I have been in talks with a major comic book publisher about producing a series based on a scifi concept we’ve developed. One more creative conference call set for week’s end after which I imagine it’ll be smooooooooooooooooth sailing. If the timing is right, I’d love to be at next year’s Comic Con promoting this project and the superhero-themed anthology I contributed to earlier in the year (details here: http://louanders.blogspot.com/2009/0...-it-plane.html).

So I was crossing the parking lot, headed to my car, when I happened to glance over and noticed something a little out of the ordinary. I walked over to investigate, camera in tow, and got the following shots. Just a typical day on the lot…
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...lty-pleasures/

September 16, 2009

Photos: The Last Boy Scout, Road Trip, Payback, Point Break, Office Space, Clueless, The Hangover, Robocop, Better Off Dead, Uzumaki

I completely forgot I have dinner reservations tonight. I’m off to Fuel to eat a roast suckling pig. But, before I go – since you asked (well, someone asked anyway) – I leave you with my list of The Top Ten Movies You May Be Surprised I Loved…

The Last Boy Scout: Forget NFL highlights. This movie opens with one of the most spectacular touchdowns ever committed to film. A fantastic buddy action flick.

Road Trip: Not to be confused with the low brow, gross-out humor of various other teen comedies – well, okay, it’s occasionally low-brow and gross-out but, unlike most teen comedies, it has a lot of heart. And, oh yeah. It’s very funny. You may never order French toast in a restaurant again.

Payback: Forget Braveheart, this is Mel Gibson’s masterpiece. Just a wild, violent, over-the-top ride that I’m sure Tarantino wishes he’d directed. Oh, and Lucy Liu in her most memorable performance to date.

oint Break: I have to admit, I’m not a huge Keanu Reeves fan, but he is perfect here as a surfer dude – uh, FBI agent doing a perfect imitation of a surfer dude in order to get the goods on a bank robber played by the late Patrick Swayze.

Office Space: For anyone who has ever worked in an office, this movie says it all. From passive-aggressive bosses to faulty photocopiers, it is one of the truest films ever made.

Clueless: One the surface, it appears to be another silly teen comedy but, in reality, it’s incredibly clever and downright hilarious.

The Hangover: I’d heard this movie talked up so much that I was fully prepared to either hate it or, at the very least, come away disappointed. Instead – I loved it! Special mention should be made of Ken Jeong as the trash-talking Mr. Chow.

Robocop: Okay, granted, the sequels and the series were, uh, less than stellar, but the original is an SF classic. Clarence Boddicker = Best Villain Ever!

Better Off Dead: Utter lunacy prevails! For everyone who has experienced the heartbreak of being dumped, worked in a crappy fast food joint, and sought to win the love of a French foreign exchange student by winning a ski competition against some guy called Stalin, this movie will speak to your very soul. Otherwise, it’s still pretty damn funny. A comedy well ahead of its time.

Uzumaki: What list of guilty pleasures would be complete without at least one obscure foreign horror film. Unlike the Asian horror movies like Ringu, Ju-on, or The Grudge, this one is less recognized because, quite frankly, it’s so damn weird. The inhabitants of a remote seaside community begin to exhibit strange behaviors and physical transformations, the result of an bizarre obsession with spirals. Based on Junji Ito’s three volume Japanese manga.

Today’s entry is dedicated to Gilder.

Mailbag:

Belouchi writes: “How is it that the space suits from the Destiny shown in the pictures you have posted resemble greatly the lost tribe exoskeleton? Are they in any way connected.”

Answer: Well, hey, now that you mention it – yeah, they do look remarkably similar. In fact, if I was a betting man, I’d wager that the Dark Asgard suits are a modified version of the Ancient space suit. Wonder what’s going on there.

Cody writes: “Do you have any ideas on what the art will look like, or is that sort of something that will come later?”

Answer: We have yet to discuss that aspect of the series.

Airelle writes: “How are the pups doing? Brie all healed and Jelly, feeling better? Who is the boss, most days in the posse? Maximus?”

Answer: Definitely not Maximus (pictured in the banner). He is the most easy-going of all the dogs and the one who gets picked on all the time. All of the gals are super *****es but I’d call Jelly the big boss.

Madwelshboy writes: “What episode is currenly filming? What will be filming next?”

Answer: Shooting Lost. Next up, Subversion.

Kevin Roberts writes: “I was wondering if there will be a Stargate Atlantis: The Ultimate Visual Guide?”

Answer: No idea. Sorry.

Vvv0472 writes: “Do you watch True Blood?”

Answer: Nope. Only saw the first three episodes.

Pastrygirl writes: “What is an address we could use for you if we had an entry for Weird Food Purchase, perchance?”

Answer: 2400 Boundary Road, Burnaby, B.C. V5M 3Z3

Joe Julians writes: “After the pilot does the show go into some shocking and dark places? As in not afraid to take risks with regards to the story?”

Answer: We certainly do – to the point that it engendered some fairly heated discussions in the writing room.

E writes: “Is SGU S1 gonna have so-called clip show ep? Like SG-1 had “Politics” and SGA “Letters from Pegasus”?”

Answer: Nope. Sorry all you clip show-lovers.

Iamjohn writes: “Joe do you have any specific plans for what you’re going to do for the day of the premier or day after? I’m assuming your planning to do something out of the ordinary?”

Answer: Not really. I’ll do a work-out. Check my blog. Maybe go out for dim sum.

Juralas writes: “SGU will air in tandem on the SPACE Channel in Canada with Syfy in the States, but that wasn’t the case for Atlantis or SG-1. Have you ever heard complaints around the set that the cast or crew (many of whom are Canadian) aren’t able to watch the episodes? Who is able to watch dailies? What are “dailies”?”

Answer: Nope, no complaints. As for dailies – they are scenes that were shot the previous day.

Iamjohn writes: “Hey Joe- Any reaction to [the SFX review] ? I’m sure you disagree on their description of your characters as too flat- what aren’t they seeing?”

Answer: Right after the New Mexico shoot, Rob and I watched a cut of Air III with our wives. Both of them absolutely LOVED the Greer character. I guess it all comes down to a matter of personal taste.

Luis writes: “Do Pug’s shed a lot of Hair???? How often do you brush them???? “

Answer: The fawn pugs do shed a fair amount, especially in the Summer. I try to brush them every couple of weeks. Either that or give them a vigorous pet.

Herbertsommerfeld writes: “Enjoy the Goldman interviews.”

Answer: Oh, that was you. Thanks!

JimFromJersey writes: “Why does Carl have a pretty little frilly-dressed doll on his bookshelf?”

Answer: It was sent in by a fan and ended up in my office. I found it creepy and gifted it to Carl who evidently found it creepy as well. The eyes follow you.

Ytimyona writes: “In Metamorphosis, Jonas is flirting with a young Lt. Rush. Related at all to Dr. Nicholas Rush?”

Answer: Nope, no relation.

Spencer Schleicher writes: “By the way, since you didn’t like Death Proof, what did you think of Planet Terror?”

Answer: I didn’t mind Planet Terror. I thought it did a great job of capturing that sense of campy B horror.

Shiloh42 writes: “On another note: after Saturday’s College Football, and changes? Any love for my Trojans????”

Answer: Call came over to watch the game and I watched Carl almost suffer a heart attack. Good fun.

Sclairef99 writes: “Anyway – Joe M – any feedback on Warehouse 13?”

Answer: Haven’t seen it.

Teal’c_P.I. writes: “I’ve seen quite a few cartoons with your name on them lately: The Busy World of Richard Scarry, Animal Crackers, The Country Mouse and the City Mouse Adventures, etc. Could you possibly let me know which one (if any) was the most fun to work on?”

Answer: I’ll always hold a special place in my heart for Animal Crackers – and it’s wild cast of characters: Lyle Lion, Gnu the gnu, Dodo, and the elephant Eugene.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                  Teal’c_P.I. writes: “I’ve seen quite a few cartoons with your name on them lately: The Busy World of Richard Scarry, Animal Crackers, The Country Mouse and the City Mouse Adventures, etc. Could you possibly let me know which one (if any) was the most fun to work on?”

Answer: I’ll always hold a special place in my heart for Animal Crackers – and it’s wild cast of characters: Lyle Lion, Gnu the gnu, Dodo, and the elephant Eugene.

I think I just fainted. He actually answered me! On my first comment!
                  sigpic
                  ~the guitarists~

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ly-whats-i-do/

September 17, 2009

Photos: Dinner, WWII icon Rosie the Rooter, Ashleigh, Carl Binder

Last night, I was at Fuel for their Stoney Paradise Farms Dinner with Blackwood Lane Winery. The place was teeming with restaurant regulars and occasional gourmands. Also in attendance, but on the outside looking/glaring in, were a total of, oh, five demonstrators on hand to protest the fact that: a) our main course was a whole suckling pig b) stuffed with foie gras and c) I was scheduled to box a kangaroo as part of the pre-dessert entertainment. In the end, dinner was spectacular, I scored a TKO in the fifth, and those forlorn protesters completed yet another in a looooong line of a fruitless demonstrations. This one, by the way, was particularly pointless as the placed was packed, EVERYONE ate foie gras, and the room was so raucous and lively that the indignant shrieks of placard-toting idiots went relatively unnoticed. Like most militant vegetarians, they grew quickly weary following a few hours of vigorous holier-than-thou chastising and headed home to their lentil pot pies and hair weave pillows. Anyway, while they were there, outside, satisfying their egos with their self-absorbed theatrics, we were inside satisfying out appetites with an amazing five course dinner comprised of…

As the name implies, a little amusement for the mouth. Actually, more “somewhat interesting” than amusing.

Showing off some of the fresh produce from Stoney Paradise Farms. Clockwise from left to right – 1) Slicked tomatoes with shaved pecorino. Fondy and I were of two minds on this one. I really enjoyed the dish. Fondy wasn’t a fan. 2) Three luscious, sweet little tomatoes in tomato consomme and basil oil. By far our favorite. 3) Green tomato. Simple but excellent. This one was served with a lovely glass of white wine – Blackwood Lane Chenin Blanc 2008.

Holy smokes! Did this course take us by surprise. I was looking ahead to the suckling main course and was thoroughly blown away by this heavenly marriage of eggplant, zucchini, pasta and peppers. A creation of Chef Ted’s, it’s a dish I wouldn’t hesitate to order if it was on the regular menu. This was served with another glass of white, a Blackwood Lane Chardonnay 2005 that was offensively oaky. One sip was enough to pucker my eyeballs. As it turns out, the wine was corked.

They paraded the main course around the room before toting it back to the kitchen for carving.

Tender, crispy, and utterly delicious. In case you’re wondering, that’s the ear on the upper left. Alas, it made for tough eating. The rest of the pig was sublime though. It was served with a lovely glass of red, the Black Lane Reference 2006.

This is a dessert I normally wouldn’t order provided there was anything else on the menu – and yet, I enjoyed it immensely. The cheesecake had a wonderful little kick while the grape sorbet was a revelation. This course was accompanied by a Blackwood Lane “Merlot” Port 2oo8 that both Fondy and I loved.

So a good time was had by all. Looking forward to the next big foodie feast.

Well, I find myself in a position where I am forced to make a public apology to our ever-lovable Executive Producer’s Assistant Ashleigh. For what? I’m not entirely sure. Something to do with a jacket, a monkey, and a size 8 text message. To be honest, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if she had misheard and attributed somebody else’s passing comment to me. Y’know, it happens all the time. Someone walks by and says something while I’m doing my afternoon mouth exercises. My lips are moving and, to the casual observer, it may look like I’m talking – but I’m actually not. Anyway, in the interest of maintaining inter-office peace and being gentlemanly and ensuring that she doesn’t adulterate any of my future lunch orders, I’d like to take this opportunity to offer my sincerest official apologies.

And to post some silly pictures of her.
                    sigpic

Comment

September 18, 2009

Photos: Author Matthew Woodring Stover

Before I turn today’s blog over to author Matthew Woodring Stover, I need to thank two people. First up, author and SGU creative consultant John Scalzi who recommended Heroes Die as a potential Book of the Month Club selection back in January. I knew absolutely nothing about the novel going in, but trusted in John – and that trust was rewarded with an smart, engaging, wholly entertaining read. So, of course, the second person I need to thank is the book’s author – Matthew Woodring Stover – for, yes, actually writing it in the first place (the life of a writer aint easy!), but also for taking the time to provide us with an informative and highly entertaining Q&A.

Hey, if you haven’t gotten around to reading Heroes Die – seriously, what’s taking you so long?! Or, if you have, might I suggest picking up the second book in the series: The Blade of Tyshalle. And, finally, if you’re intrigued by what Matt has to say about “the artist’s release” or the collaborative relationship between author and reader, why not head on over to his blog for some follow-up discussion: http://www.mattstover.blogspot.com.

**snip**
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...n-the-mailbag/

September 19, 2009

Photos: Dogs, Ashleigh

For a while now, I’ve been following a fairly rigorous diet and exercise regimen (cardio on even days, circuit training on odd days, five daily mini meals made up of lean proteins, fruit, veggies, and grains), all in a bid to get into the best shape possible prior to my annual Tokyo Culinary Extravaganza – during which it will no doubt take all of two weeks to undo what it has taken me months to achieve. So why do I am I doing it? Is it to look better? Get healthier? Test my resolve? No, actually, I’m doing it because I want to make sure I fit into my suits before I board that Japan-bound flight. I figure I’ll be good for that first week after which I can just invest in a pair of stretchy pants and spend the remainder of my stay strolling through Tokyo in loutishly touristic fashion.

Of course the secret to getting into shape isn’t simply a matter of eating right and working out. Diversity is the key in both diet and exercise. Especially exercise where, after the first few weeks of gains, your body grows accustomed to the routine you’ve set up. You need to mix things up, look for alternate ways of challenging yourself. I like to do this by checking out what seems to work well for others. I mean, sure, there are thousands of books and sites that will tell you what works, but can you really trust them? Did those models really get that ripped and toned following their advice? Maybe. And then again, maybe not. In the end, you can take a gamble and test the advice (after all, the only thing you have to lose is time) or you can look at building your own work-out and diet plan based on the success of an individual you know, someone who isn’t a model yet has realized that ripped, toned look you want to achieve, someone you know for a fact hasn’t cheated in order to attain their remarkable physique.

Well, there are several such individuals in my life, but one is the best by far, boasting the most incredible traps, killer delts, unbelievable glutes, vertical leaping ability easily twice her height, and an overall physical conditioning that would make even the best pro athletes envious. I refer, of course to THIS individual:

Her body fat count is low that it won’t even register. And she makes it look so easy.

So what is her secret? To what does she owe her exceptional physique. Well, unfortunately, I can’t ask her. But I can study her, analyze her daily routine, and extrapolate my own diet and work-out regimen based on these findings. Move over Crossfit. Stand aside Body For Life. I give you…The Lulu Plan -

1. Take your time getting out of bed in the morning. Rest, and lots of it, is one of the most important elements of this program.

2. Start the day off with a breath of fresh air and a few simple stretching exercises. Examples provided below.

3. Eat two meals a day, morning and night, but make sure they’re protein rich (beef, chicken, venison, turkey, rabbit, and salmon are great choices). Also, ensure you keep your metabolism primed by eating as quickly as humanly possible, wolfing down portions as large as your mouth will allow. Chewing is optional.

4. Keep well hydrated by drinking plenty of liquids throughout the day. Stick to water, either tap, bottled, or backyard puddle.

5. Nap constantly. Resting ensures proper muscle repair and leads to bigger and better gains.

6. Rather than pursuing long, sustained aerobic exercises, engage in quick but intense bursts of physical activity be it charging around the house at breakneck peed, jumping on and off the couch, chasing a ball, or playing keep-away with a colleague’s monkey.

7. Did you remember to rest? Again, I cannot do enough to emphasize the importance of the occasional siesta. Aim for 3-4. An hour.

8. Maintain that devil-may-care attitude. You’re only young once? Who says?! You’ll feel young if you act young, and what better way to act young than by maintaining a mischievous outlook. Hide one of your boss’s shoes! Gnaw on a piece of furniture! Take a dump in the laundry room! In short – embrace spontaneity. Be a kid again!

9. Don’t keep things bottled up inside. Express yourself. Unhappy with somebody? Someone taking too long serving dinner? Well, let them know!

10. Ensure yourself a comfortable and restful night’s sleep by staking a spot in the middle of the mattress, stretching out, and not moving, despite the protests of anyone you happen to be sharing the bed with. If they take it upon themselves to move you physically, then respond in kind by snoring loudly, walking around in the middle of the night, or using their head for a pillow.

Anyway, let me know how it works out. Please stick with it for at least three months, making sure to take Before and After snapshots to accompany your positive testimonials. I may use them for the forthcoming book and dedicated website.

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to birthday gal Susan the tartan turtle.

Mailbag:

Jeff writes: “Why was the decision made to release the the priemiere episodes exclusively to the press (prior to the actual priemiere date) with a really cool looking cover where the Chevrons actually light up?

Considering that the shows producers have credited the series success to the fan base don’t you this may make some fans mad?”

Answer: Any fans who would be mad because they didn’t get press kits have no real sense of how the industry works. It’s the equivalent of fans being angry because, unlike the producers, they don’t get to watch the various directors’ cuts. Press kits are forwarded to various media outlets in order to engender (hopefully) positive buzz in advance of the premiere. Yes, they’re incredibly cool. Hats off to SyFy for producing them.

MaggieMayDay writes: “So, Joe, if you developed such a sensitivity, would it deter you from eating your favorite foods?”

Answer: I don’t know. It would depend on the food – and the reaction. If the food was strawberries, for instance, I could do without, but chocolate is entirely another matter. Furthermore, if it was simply a matter of the occasional itchy, watery eyes, I could brave it. On the other hand, if I turned lobster red from head to toe, that may give me pause.

2Cats writes: “Well, I’m off to start day 1 on my new job. Wish me luck?”

Answer: Good luck!

Ccdsah writes: “Hi Joe, someone who has seen “Air” said there are some pics in Jack’s office. Of Sara O’Neill? Seriously? Can you confirm or deny? If it’s really true I consider this just another frak you to the shippers.”

Answer: I can neither confirm nor deny. But if it is the case, then, yes, that was the intention all along. I know it seems like a lot of trouble to go to in order to sleight a specific section of fandom, but that’s just the type of guy our props master is (very anti-shipper!).

Ccdsah also writes: “BTW I thought (from the Trio cut scene) that Jack was supposed to retire? How come he gets promoted? Do you really think making Jack general and especially having him get a deskjob at Pentagon in season 9 was in-character for Jack?”

Answer: As you pointed out, the scene you’re referring to didn’t make the cut so there’s no point in using it as reference. As for a desk job being out of character for Jack – that’s what everyone thought when he assumed the command position at the SGC yet he availed himself quite nicely.

Chevron7 writes: “Re: Ashleigh – I’m still none the wiser. What was gonna happen if you didn’t apologise? Was she gonna superglue your desk drawer or something?”

Answer: See, that’s just it. I have no idea what she’s capable of. Just look at her crazy eyes and tell me I’m not overreacting…

DasNdanger writes: “Had I known you were doing a mailbag (you really should warn us), I would have asked you about your comic book project.
                        I’ll ask anyway…
                        If and when you get a definite go on it, will you be able to share what publisher will be handling it, and what the basic scenario will be? And how soon before you know what artist will be put on it?
                        And if it falls through, will you try to pitch it to another publisher?
                        Oh. And any angsty albinos in it???!”

Answer: I’ll be able to offer up specifics with regard to story and publisher once the deal has been finalized. We had our final pre-deal conference call on Thursday and it went very well. We talked long-range plans, creative, and, of course, art. Once everyone has signed on the dotted line, I have a feeling that things will happen very quickly.

Carl Binder writes: “I never said Rooter.”

Answer: Really? I’m pretty sure I heard “rooter” from someone. I guess I just assumed it was you because it sounded like something you’d say.

Kevin Roberts writes: “ya know, I have read and watched alot from all types of people in the filming industry and I’ve found that people in television etc, do not watch much of anything on tv and people in movies etc don’t watch movies that often. Is there any real answer to why this is or atleast seems that way?”

Answer: I guess I’d liken it to a magician not checking out the shows of fellow magicians. Ultimately, our magician knows how the tricks are done and, quite often, that can detract from the viewing experience. Trust me, there’s nothing more irritating than watching a t.v. show with a television writer or going to see a movie with a screenwriter as they’ll analyze and dissect every aspect of what they’re seeing. Occasionally, however, there are certain magicians who put on one heck of a show and you can’t help but check ‘em out. In my case, it’s Larry David, David Shore, and the gang who make The Office and 30 Rock happen.

Winst writes: “A certain music business rumor mill is saying that
                        the song linked to down below will somehow end up
                        being “attached” in some way to the SGU production.”

Answer: That’s news to me.

Elminster writes: “BTW how goes the computer problems?”

TEAL’C_PI writes: “It’s about something I spotted in your IMDb page. It says that you contributed ‘additional music’ to an episode of The Busy World of Richard Scarry; I of course know that you’re a writer-producer and not a musician, so…what exactly was it that you contributed?”

Answer: No idea what that’s in reference to. Interestingly enough, Paul and I have yet to be credited for the lyrics to the Stargate: SG-1 theme song. Go figure.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ig-sutherland/

September 20, 2009

Photos: Dinner, Haigh Sutherland

Went out for dinner the other night. It had been a while since my last visit to Cobre, the self-styled “Nuevo Latino Cuisine” resto located in one of the city’s more colorful (read: skeevy) quarters. In fact, I believe that the last time I was in, I was with fellow producer Carl Binder, enjoying a meal and taking advantage of the neighborhood flavor and a local location shoot to play a guessing game I like to call “Tramp or Teamster”. Alas, no location shoot or window seat on this night so we had to settle for simple dinner conversation.

The menu is made up of plates of varying portion sizes, tapas ranging from small servings to bigger bites. “Hope you’re hungry,”said our waitress after we placed our order. We couldn’t help ourselves. Everything sounded so good. And, quite frankly, everything looked pretty damn good as well. How good? So good that on two separate occasions, we ended up adding to our initial order after seeing our neighbors being served. It reached the point where our waitress joked: “That’s it! I’m cutting you off!”

Our meal broke down thusly:

For me, the high point of the night turned out to be the duck. And the fact that, an hour into our meal, Special Features Producer Ivon Bartok and his hot date ended up being seated right beside us. I resisted the urge to make a surprising situation downright awkward by suggesting we pull our tables together and, instead, offered his date a word of advice. “Don’t believe him when he says he went to medical school!”is what I wanted to say. Instead, I went with: “Don’t order the corn bread!”

Otherwise a pretty darn quiet weekend. I read, studied my Japanese, walked the dogs, and, oh, checked out the following glowing review of the Stargate: Universe opening three-parter by Joseph Dilworth Jr. over at Pop Culture Zoo (http://popculturezoo.com/archives/4368). He has some wonderful things to say about Air I, II, and III, but one of the more noteworthy comments was this: “ Hell, even the background characters that have one or two lines really give their all. It is very apparent that the cast are on equal footing in their performances and they make each and every scene a joy to watch.”

Like I’ve been saying all along, our cast is terrific through and through, and while our main players have certainly impressed, our supporting players continue to step up and wow us as well. Like, for instance, Haig Sutherland who plays the role of the ever steady Sgt. Riley, a writers’ room favorite for his deadpan delivery and brilliant comic timing.

Haig splits his time between television and theater. He’s clearly passionate about the latter and, despite landing a recurring role on a t.v. series, has maintained his stage commitments, most recently playing the title role in in the local Bard on the Beach production of Richard II.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...edloved-teams/

September 21, 2009

Back in the day, I was known to wager on a game or two. It was a hobby of sorts. I’d keep statistics on all the major pro sports – NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB – charting individual and team developments over the course of a given season, comparing such variables as home and away records, streaks, performances on grass vs. turf, against certain teams, against lefties or righties, etc. I had notebooks crammed full of data that allowed me to formulate systems that, given the history, would produce winners. Theoretically anyway. In truth, despite significant effort, I didn’t really win anymore than I lost (except for baseball which is a statistician’s dream and does yield fruitful results if you’re willing to put in the time to crunch the numbers but, really, at the end of the day there‘s so little joy in following the MLB). The NFL was where it was at but, sadly, the league plays so few games in a given season that it’s near impossible to identify any sort of pattern in a team’s performance against the Vegas spread. And drawing from performances in previous seasons doesn’t make much sense because, say, the Chicago Bears of 2009 are a wildly different team than the Chicago Bears of 2008 – to say nothing of previous incarnations. No, team histories don’t offer much in the way of useful information. However, betting history does. If you’re looking for a winning system, look not to how individual teams fare against the spread but how teams in general have fared. Having said that, finding reliable patterns in general team histories vs. the spread is an incredibly daunting past. In my experience, only one system really worked – not every time, but certainly more times than it lost. So if you’re in Vegas this upcoming weekend, take advantage of this tried and usually true formula by putting some money down on the Buffalo Bills.

Here’s the formula: ALWAYS BET AGAINST A TEAM THAT HAS WON ITS LAST TWO GAMES, SCORING MORE THAN 75 POINTS IN THE PROCESS, IF IT IS A ROAD FAVORITE IN ITS NEXT GAME. Remember, when Vegas sets the line, they do so based NOT on what believe is a fair point differential but what the betting public believes to be a fair (often inflated) point differential. And the betting public likes a team on a roll. Especially one that has scored 75+ points in its last two games. A team like, say, the New Orleans Saints who put up 45 points in week #1, 48 points in week #3, and are 5 ½ point favorites in Buffalo this weekend.

Take the Bills at home, and the points. Then go celebrate by checking out the sharks at the Mandalay Bay.

Hey, one of the great things about the NFL is its ability to incite passion like no other pro sports. There are the teams you Love (with a capital L) and teams you Hate (with a capital H). Now you can tell a lot about a person based on team preferences. Now, rather than risk of offending anyone by offering up my incisive psychological evaluations detailing “What team you support says about you”, I’ll simply list my Top 5 Most Hated NFL Teams and my Top 5 Favorite NFL Teams.

THE TOP 5 TEAMS I ROOT AGAINST

5. The Kansas Chiefs: Mainly because they play in the AFC West, but also because, despite its vast history, the team has always lacked character. Sure there’ve been flashes here and there but for the most part they’re a thoroughly unmemorable franchise. If you’re sitting in the office Monday morning talking about that weekend’s games and find yourself unable to recall who it was a given team played, chances are it was probably the Chiefs.

4. The Indianapolis Colts: This is a team that has gradually made its way up my Hated List purely on the basis of Peyton Manning’s spasmodic audibling that makes it appear as though he is speaking in tongues, having been “gifted by an exceptionally animated spirit” every time he steps up to the line of scrimmage.

3. The Denver Broncos: Also because they play in the AFC West, and because their owner wears a fur coat (understand, it’s not so much the fact that it’s fur but the fact that he’s a grown man in fur), and because they’re my team’s arch-nemesis. Also, because Alex Levine loves ‘em.

2. The Philadelphia Eagles: Two months ago, in the grand sliding scale of team preferences, the Eagles would have been vacillating somewhere in the middle of the pack. Today, thanks to their acquisition of Michael Vick, they climb their way into the #2 spot. Congratulations.

1. The New England Patriots: You know that incredibly successful team that almost everybody seems to love? With that incredibly successful quarterback that everybody seems to love? That team that is the ice cream equivalent of vanilla, extremely popular and wholly inoffensive. Like the San Francisco 49ers of the 90’s. And today’s New England Patriots.

THE TOP 5 TEAMS I ROOT FOR

5. The Green Bay Packers: One of the most storied franchises in the league’s history, no team better captures the spirit of the NFL. While most teams are marked by their ownership or flashy players, the Packers are distinguished for their loyal fans and the bitterly frigid of Lambeau Field.

4. The Cincinnati Bengals: I’ve always been a fan of their vertical game, their colorful personalities, and those kooky helmets.

3. The Dallas Cowboys: One of the few teams that it’s almost impossible to be on the fence about. You either love ’em, or you hate ’em. And given that, like most kids with an interest in the sport, I grew up rooting for the Cowboys against their hated rival Steelers, it shouldn’t be surprising that some of that youthful passion and loyalty still remains.

2. The New Orleans Saints: The perennial sad sacks of the NFL, there was always something to be admired, or at the very least pitied, about this team. With their Bourbon Street culture, black and gold uniforms, and umbrella-toting/dancing owner, the Saints have always been the slow-witted cousin you desperately want to see succeed.

1. The Oakland Raiders: Yeah, not much to cheer about in ages, but I remember the days when the silver and black were to be feared, when Hayes and Haynes ran the corners and Commitment to Excellence actually meant something. They were the bad guys and I loved ’em for it. Unfortunately, nowadays, they’re just plain ol’ bad.
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...n-left-behind/

September 22, 2009

Photos: Brian J. Smith, Ming Na, Peter DeLuise, Robert Picardo

Late last year, before we’d even started the casting process, when all we had were those first few scripts and a general idea of where we wanted to go, there was one character that really stood out for me from among the many amazing characters Brad and Rob had created – a fascinating player with attitude and heaps of potential. That character was Camile Wray, the I.O.A. rep who finds herself stranded aboard Destiny, much to her horror and the chagrin of several military personnel stranded with her. I loved the character because she was fiercely independent, a force to be reckoned with, and a fiery wildcard in an extraordinarily volatile scenario.

Of course the character we imagine at the script stage is never quite the character we end up with on screen. Sometimes, they’re very close. Sometimes, they don’t live up to those lofty initial expectations. And, still other times, with the right person in the role, they far surpass that original incarnation. A great actor not only gives life to the attributes that so engaged you on the page, but adds layerings of depth and complexity that, in turn, open up a host of wonderful possibilities for both the character and the show in general. And that’s exactly what actress Ming Na has accomplished in the role of Camile Wray.

From her breakout performance in The Joy Luck Club to her turn as Disney’s Mulan to her ten years as Dr. Jing-Mei Chen on the long-running hospital drama E.R., she has proven herself both immensely talented and incredibly commited to her craft. Off camera, she is an utter delight – sweet, upbeat, and very funny (After only his first day on set with her, my fellow producer Carl Binder declared himself a HUGE fan). Oh, and she’s gorgeous (as if you hadn’t noticed). And, for bonus points, she’s a big science fiction fan.

Yet another standout in an already exceptional cast.

Well, we’re in the home stretch. We’re shooting Subversion and prepping our final two episodes, Incursion I and II. Carl is in post, working on his producer edit of Pain. Today, we watched the Day 2 mix of Light with its finished visual effects. All I can say is: Wow! This one gets the award for Most Beautiful Episode. It’s full of lovely shots and SF eye candy. Kudos to Director Peter DeLuise and the Mark Savela’s VFX team. Oh, and we’ve also cast a couple of major roles for the season ender. One heavy hitter (a Boston Legal alum) flies up at the end of this week for a costume fitting – hopefully, pug in tow.

Hey, just got off the phone with Bob Picardo (aka Stargte’s Richard Woolsey). As some fans have pointed out, he and his lovely wife Linda are about to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary, so I thought I’d give them a call. I’m pleased to report that between his film and television work and the many convention appearances, Bob is as busy as ever. Still, despite his hectic schedule, he’s planning to make time for the SGU season premiere next Friday night. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again (and again and again). The guy is a class act.

Ten days to the Stargate: Universe premiere! Tell your friends! And tell them to tell THEIR friends! Leave no fan behind!
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...erse-premiere/

September 23, 2009

Photos: SGU chairs, Carl Binder, WWII icon, Ashleigh, Bacon Explosion, Ming Na's furred footwear, Bubba

Have you told your friends? Your family? Their friends and family? Neighbors? Co-workers? Casual acquaintances? People you ride the bus with? No?! Well getting moving! Only nine days until SGU premieres!

The excitement is certainly mounting on set and in the offices, often finding expression in a colorful lunacy that has gripped certain individuals involved in the production. Things are getting mighty weird.

Take Executive Producer Carl Binder for instance – USC grad and diehard Trojan fan. This was him the day after his team suffered a stunning upset loss at the hands of the Washington Huskies -

In the meantime, just days after poking fun at Executive Producer’s Assistant Ashleigh for looking so much like WWII icon Rosie the Riveter -

- I had to do a double-take while strolling by Ashleigh’s office today because the following pic was pasted to her office door (no doubt compliments of Lawren Bancroft-Wilson)…

Out of the blue, for reasons unknown, Visual Effects Supervisor Mark Savela surprised us with a little gift. Not t-shirts or caps or interesting books, but something he calls a Bacon Explosion (or was it Bacon Overload?)…

From what I understand, it’s bacon wrapped around sausage wrapped around bacon. Oh, and glazed with barbecue sauce. For the guys who have everything. Except bacon wrapped around sausage wrapped around bacon glazed with barbecue sauce.

And what the heck is going on over on Stage 2, the site of not one but two green screen off-world locations. In a bid to give the place an out-of-this-world alien feel, they’ve trucked in tons of dirt and mud for the ground – and, for some inexplicable reason, what certainly smells like a half ton of manure for good measure. Was this done to hint at some sort of methane atmosphere? I’m not sure.

Still, despite the burgeoning craziness, it’s nice to see that some things remain constant – like, say, Ming-Na’s crazy furred footwear that she insists on wearing to set. Yes, granted, we are in Canada – but it was 27 celsius (80.6 fahrenheit) today! At this point, I think she’s just doing it to annoy me.

A late post tonight as I was out to dinner with the lovely Ming-Na, and the equally lovely Carl Binder and Robert Cooper. More on our amazin meal tomorrow along with pics (Atlantis) past and (SGU) future.

Today’s entry is dedicated to birthday boy (I’m guessing) Tim H.!

JYS writes: “I wish I could watch the premiere! But unfortunately, I’ll be in class. I went to DB Bistro today and had the DB burger. Maybe my palate’s really bad, but I didn’t taste any truffles.”

Answer: I’m not crazy about the DB version. I mean, it’s fine, but the flavors of both the truffle and the foie are overwhelmed by the beef. Interestingly enough, Diva at the Met served their own version (I believe they called theirs the DC Burger) that was actually more flavorful and included braised short rib as well.

Daniel writes: “Boston Legal alum!!!!! That’s my second favorite show after Stargate (all of them). Clues to who it is please!”

Answer: Female.

Phil writes: “Joe, what would you say to those who didnt watch SG1 or Atlantis (for whatever reason) to watch Universe?”

Answer: If you enjoy science fiction, action, adventure, exploration, discovery, character-oriented drama, or any and all of the above, then definitely check out the premiere of Stargate: Universe. And if you’re new to Stargate, the beauty is you don’t really need to be familiar with what has come before. Even if you’ve never watched a single episode of SG-1 or Atlantis, you’ll be able to tune in and enjoy the new show.

Airelle writes: “Just finished reading Stranger in a Strange Land. Not bad, enjoyable reading. Picked up another by Heinlein/Spider Robinson, Variable Star, looks promising as well, any other suggestions by him that are good Joe?? Heinlein I mean. “

Answer: I enjoyed The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

Tammy Dixon writes: “Ming Na was awesome in E.R. I’m rewatching it on TNT now. I’ve gotten to the episode where she is overworked and accidently kills a patient. She doesn’t look any older. What’s the deal with that?”

Answer: I don’t know. Maybe she’s an immortal. Seriously, after meeting her for the first time I was amazed by how much she hadn’t changed since The Joy Luck Club. A lot of the time, certain actors look great on screen and then, when you see them in person, you’re floored by how much “work” they’ve had done. In Ming-Na’s case, it’s just the opposite – you‘re floored by her natural good looks. So, yeah. Probably an immortal.

JES writes: “I have just received the Non Prop Rock of Mallozzi from a special courier cleverly disguised as a U.S. postal carrier. As I opened the seemingly innocuous package, I was struck by the overwhelming responsibility I was about to shoulder to preserve and protect this unique relic.”

Answer: Guard it well, my friend. Before sending the rock on its way, it joined Carl and I for an evening of football. As it turned out, the rock was an Ohio State fan and, well, things got kind of ugly…

Tim H. writes: “Could you please do the same 5 and 5 with the NHL? I’d be really interested in seeing your picks.”

Answer: Although I’m not a big hockey fan (I know I know. Shamefully un-Canadian.).. Top 5 Favorites (5. The Chicago Blackhawks – They’ve been perennial losers for so long that I’ve taken pity on them. 4. The Phoenix Coyotes – The only thing crazier than the thought of hockey in Arizona were those wacky Aztec coyotes they used to have on their jerseys. 3. The Buffalo Sabres – For some reason, this was my NHL team when I was a kid so I still have a soft spot for ‘em. 2 The San Jose Sharks – I miss the garish teal jerseys. 1. The Montreal Canadians – Strangely enough, I hated the Canadian when I was living in Montreal but, since leaving la belle province, I’ve re-adopted them as my team. To 5 Hated (5. The Toronto Maple Leafs – Surprising only because I used to like this team until I actually spent some time with their trash-talking fans (Ivon Bartok). 4. The Philadelphia Flyers – Chalk this one up to an Eric Lindross hangover. 3. The Boston Bruins – The Canadian’s biggest rival. 2. The Minnesota Wild: What’s a wild? Is it anything like a Laker? 1. The New York Rangers: The equivalent to baseball’s Yankees and basketball’s Lakers – both of which I also hate.

Jimmy writes: “Are there any space battle scenes planned for season one? I am a big fan of sweet explosions…”

Answer: Yep. There’ll be several, both small and large-scale battle sequences.

Narelle from Aus writes: “Hey Joe. Where did you study for your Marketing degree?”

Answer: I don’t have a Marketing degree. I do have a Masters in English Lit if that helps though.

For the love of Beckett writes: “How’s your Mom? Has she had her knee operation yet?”

Answer: Mom had the operation and is now at home, with sis, recuperating nicely. Thanks for asking.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X