Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

June 5, 2009

Photo: Author Conrad Williams

There’s nothing I enjoy more than a good scare, be it a taut, terrifying novel, a disquietingly horrific horror film, or Ashleigh springing out from behind my office door to loosen a bloodcurdling shriek (She actually thought about it but I took too long on set.). Unfortunately, more often than not, those books or movies or Executive Producer Assistants promise the frights but ultimately fail to deliver the goods (And, specifically in Ashleigh’s case, one of those bacon cheeseburgers with Krispey Krème doughnuts in place of the buns that I requested the other day). So you can imagine how delighted I was to finally come across a horror novel that actually delivers – in a BIG way. The Unblemished is not for the faint of heart but for those who enjoy their horror grim, grisly, and unrelenting. Oh, and scary as hell. Highly recommended. On the other hand, if grim, grisly, and unrelenting is not your cup of tea, I would still urge you to check out some of author Conrad Williams’ other books because: a) his work is varied and b) subject matter aside, he is a delightfully brilliant writer.

Conrad has kindly taken the time to field your reader questions. A big thank you to him and big thanks to all of you who took the time to read The Unblemished and weigh in with your thoughts.

Enjoy the Q&A, then rest up and mentally prepare yourselves for tomorrow’s massive mailbag in which all of your questions will be answered: How was Carl’s pass on Faith? What were the actors’ reactions to the Space script? Who shot J.R.? (I’ll give you this one. Kristin Shepard, Sue Ellen’s sister. Shocking, no?).

Today’s entry is dedicated to birthday gal Morjana.

Over to Conrad…

**snip**
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...h-the-mailbag/

June 6, 2009 - Part 1

Okay, it’s time for round two of “Guess the Episode Title”. Further hints to the titles of episode #14, #15, and #16:

One shares the name of a movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock.

Another shares the name of a television series.

Another shares the name of a software package.

A little update to yesterday’s blog entry – Author Conrad Williams informs me that his latest novel, DECAY INEVITABLE, will be published by Solaris Books in August. If you’re looking for a late summer read, put this one on your consideration list.

And, I’ll turn today’s entry over to playing catch-up with some of your comments…

Massive Mailbag:

Major D. Davis writes: “Say, when do you think your comics will be in stores?”

Answer: If we get the green light, it’ll take anywhere form eight to months from start to finish. The first issue should be hitting comic stories, coincidentally, around the same time my short story hits the bookshelves.

DasNDanger writes: “1. Is there anything that can be done to help keep the actors grounded, especially if a show is a hit?

2. Have you ever been disappointed by an actor who you admired in the beginning for their down-to-earth humility, only to later discover that they had turned into the biggest prima donna on the set? (ANY actor – tv or movies – not just SG, and no names necessary.)

3. What role do more mature, experienced actors play in helping younger actors keep their heads so that they don’t get drunk on self-importance with their first taste of fame?

4. How important is it to the show for actors to set aside their own self-importance, especially when it comes to the chemisty between them, both behind the scenes and on the screen?

5. Though you cannot foresee the future, how hopeful are you that the new SGU cast will continue to stay grounded?”

Answers: 1. It’s not just actors who risk becoming “ungrounded”. Producers, directors, yes, even writers (believe it or not!) can fall victim to Swollen Head Syndrome. For the most part, however, if the individual is well-grounded to begin with, they usually remain so throughout. I remember having a discussion about this with actress Jewel Staite who, despite having worked in “the business” since she was a kid (often a recipe for disaster), remains incredibly modest about her success. In her case, however, her mother was always around to remind her that, at the end of the day, it was just a job. In much the same way, it helps to have friends, loved ones, and co-workers standing by to tell you when you’re acting like a jack-ass.

2. Over the course of my time on Stargate and several other productions, I’ve had the pleasure to work with many, many fantastic people. And the odd jerks. Hey, it happens in any work environment and, yes, it can be incredibly disappointing. I don’t think I’ve ever worked with anyone who initially impressed me with their humility and then suddenly transformed into a megalomaniac. The humble ones tend to stay humble.

3. Experienced actors certainly set the tone. Take Robert Carlyle for instance. He’s an international celebrity with some major productions under his belt and yet when he comes to set, he is wholly professional, and wholly focused on what needs to get done. Off the set, he’s surprisingly low-key and charmingly self-deprecating. If ever you wanted an experienced actor to set the tone, you’d be hard-pressed to find better.

4. This applies to everyone involved in a production. I know of numerous shows where the onscreen chemistry between the characters is great and yet, behind the scenes, the actors barely speak.

5. I feel really, really, reaaaally good about this cast. As I’ve been saying all along, they’re not only talented but genuinely good people. The kind you’d invite to your chocolate party if you were to ever host one.

Major D. Davis writes: “1. Will Carlo Rota appear in Stargate Extinction as Mr. Strom?

2. Is the Uniform Julia is wearing in the picture the Icarus Base uniforms you have been praising?

3. If both the SG-1 and Atlantis movies are shot in the fall, is there enough time between fall and summer of 2010 to complete the movies post production cycle, or is more time needed?”

Answers: 1. Can’t answer this one at the moment.

2. Actually, the uniform Alaina is wearing is the Icarus Base uniform.

3. There’s not set release date so, yes, we have plenty of time.

PG15 writes: “1. Is episode 16 the “story in limbo” you talked about on May 30th? And is it written by yet another freelancer, different from those who wrote #13 and #14?

2. Is Paul writing the season finale?

3. Got any more episode titles you can reveal to us?

4. Will “Air” have a different open credit sequence than the rest of the season, ala. Rising and the rest of SGA Season 1?

5. That video was very cute (the pugs were like, “WTF are those hyper little guys doing now?!” before kinda joining in themselves), but do you ever worry that they’ll hurt themselves like this? I mean, I see a lot of biting and gnawing and stuff like that; what if they break the skin or something?”

Answers: 1. The “limbo” story is now #16. It will be written by a freelancer. #14 is also a freelance script. Marty G. is doing the honors on #15. Speaking of which – where’s that outline?!

2. Paul and I are presently hammering out episodes #19 and #20. It remains to be seen who will be writing which one.

3. See above.

4. Can’t say for sure.

5. Brie does make a lot of noise but, at the end of the day, they’re just playing.

BondieChemGirl writes: “Anyway, the dogs are too cute. How are they with cats or have they had that experience yet?”

Answer: Jelly grew up with cats. When I used to leave the dogs with a dog sitter, Maximus used to spend his afternoons on the back porch sitting alongside the dog sitter’s cat. Don’t know about the others though.
      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...h-the-mailbag/

June 6, 2009 - Part 2

Perragrin writes: “Actually, Joe.. I do have a question. And despite your – as yet – unbroken track record in ignoring them, i’m still gonna ask: In “Letters from Pegasus”, we see a huge, steady beam that seems to be emanating from one of the Hives in orbit and centering on the planet being culled. What’s this for?”

Answer: I believe Brad wrote this episode, so I defer to him.

Fsmn36 writes: “Here’s a question I can’t recall if you’ve answered (so pardon if you have!): will the SGU premiere be two hours as SG1 and SGA’s were?”

Answer: Yes. Air I and II will form the two-hour season premiere. Air III will air the week following.

Ben writes: “1. You said previously that you aren’t up on the progress of the Stargate Worlds game…Does this mean you’ve heard nothing about them promoting/sponsoring during the launch of SGU (not that I have, but it’d make sense marketing wise)?

2. Were you ever brought in as a sort of creative consultant early in the game’s development?

3. How damn awesome is it working with Robert Carlyle?! He’s legitimately one of my favourite actors, a brilliant choice in my book.

4. This may be a repeat…but will the elusive ‘Furlings’ make any kind of appearance in SGU, be it reference or otherwise?”

Answers: 1. I, personally, have heard nothing.

2. I wasn’t. It’s possible Brad and Robert were.

3. Incredibly damn freaking awesome! Like I said, he’s a gentleman on and off set. As many of the crew put it: a very sweet guy.

4. No.

ChelleDeBoer writes: “I just have a quick questions…are Lulu and Brie’s tails docked? If so, is that still legal in Canada??”

Answer: I don’t know whether or not it’s legal in Canada, but Lulu and Brie’s tails are definitely NOT docked. Lulu actually comes from a champion bloodline. Her tail is naturally nubby. As for Brie, she’s got a tail on her like an apostrophe.

SnowDog1942 writes: “ How is a freelance writers script able to fit in the main themes/arcs of the show? Can I assume a freelance script will be more of a standalone episode? Do the freelancers get to read the script that lead up to their episode? How do they know the characters well enough to write for them, considering the show is more serialized than the previous two Stargates.”

Answer: Freelancers are given all up to date materials (usually scripts). Based on those scripts and a preliminary conversation with Brad and Robert, they’ll be invited to pitch. If one of their pitches is a home run, they’re flown up for a day. All of the writers will get together and discuss the story, spin it, then break it down, beat by beat. The freelancer heads home and writes an outline. We’ll give them notes and they’ll revise the outline, then move on to draft. We’ll also provide notes toward a second draft. After that, the script goes to one of the producers who will do their pass (for tone, character, adding or losing elements to the episode in line with recent developments or future story ideas).

Le Francais writes: “ 1- The Opening of Universe will be short as that parodied in the episode 200 of SG-1 or the end of the season 5 of Atlantis, or a “length” as SG-1?

2- Is Rush strictly the main caracter of Universe and the others are secondary, or the totality of the team are main caracter?

3- What is the progress of the next SG-1 movie?

4- Where can I find the same poster of Johnny Cash as Sheppard?

5- When SG-1 and Atlantis ended, what are you doing with the accessoiries? Did you destroy, given them?

6- Why there is no French staff on Atlantis? If it is necessary I can come to brooms or to redo the paint)!

7- You would take advantage of what if you were block in a buckle temporal as in Window of Opporunity?

8- Has that I understood you work on a comics… Have you an idea of a French publication? Or then I badly understood…

Answers: 1. Remains to be seen.

2. Rush is a pivotal character but, overall, this is an ensemble show.

3. The script is in Brad Wright’s hands.

4. Sorry, can’t help you.

5. We’ve kept most of the props. After all, we have a movie to make.

6. Oh, there are. You just haven’t noticed them.

7. I’d probably eat and read a lot more.

8. I have a complete Asterix collection in the original French editions.

Kathi writes: “1. Are there any news when atlantis movie will be shoot?
        2. Will Larin be in the movie?”

Answers: 1. Nope. No word.

2. No, she won’t.

Eric. Stewart writes: “Re: SGU,
        1. how long is the filming of the first season expected to last?
        2.Is it planned to start filming season 2 immediately after the filming of season 1 is completed?
        3. From what I could read, the actors have been working on the episodes since the beginning of February. If the filming of episode 11 has just started, ( meaning approximately 2 episodes and a 1/2 being shot each month), how do they avoid information overflow ?(doesn’t it feel at one point that it’s too much information to learn in such a short period of time. Assuming of course that each episode’s script is fairly long)”

Answers: 1. Oh, I expect we’ll be picking around The Bridge until early October.

2. Nope. We need to find out whether or not we’ve been picked up first. And we won’t know that until after the show starts airing.

3. They accomplish this by being absolutely brilliant at what they do.

Watcher writes: “The Britney Spears song you’re referring to might be a tad bit cleverer than you think, actually. The chorus contains a nice little double entendre that went undetected for a few weeks.”

Answer: For a few WEEKS?! Where? In a remote area of Afghanistan where nobody understands English?

Dovil writes: “The PS gets a gold star, I’m sure you’re overjoyed about it and are currently hanging it on an imaginary wall.”

Answer: In my imaginary den.

Deni writes: “Hey Joe, whatever happened to Joel’s Q&A? Are we still going to get it?”

Answer: Joel contacted me a couple of months ago to apologize for the delay. I told him I understood, that we was very busy. Then, SGU went full throttle and he got busy again.

Jedi43 writes: “Is Todd still in the city someplace at the end of 5×20?”

Answer: Oh, yeah. He’s definitely around there somewhere. I think Zelenka saw him playing hide and seek with Jinto somewhere on the west pier. Well, at least it looked like hide and seek.

Chris C. writes: “Any word on whether Brian Michael Bendis is still planning to answer our questions?”

Answer: Another busy guy. Between the various comic books he‘s writing, he’s also scripting the pilot for the Powers series.

MattG1987 writes: “I must say that Alaina Huffman is looking very nice in the picture you posted! What is it like working with her?”

Answer: Remember back in school, the girl that all the guys liked because she was so pretty, and the guys AND girls liked to hang around with because she was always so upbeat and fun to be with? Well, on the set of Stargate Universe, Alaina is that girl. With a gun. Also – Best Laugh Ever.
        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

June 7, 2009

Photos: Patrick Gilmore, Mark Burgess

Geez. Between Carl at work and my wife on the home front, I’m headed for a massive schnitzel overload. Tonight will make the sixth time in two weeks I’ve eaten at Danube, the restaurant formerly known as Budapest and presently located just a two minute drive from the studio. So, if we’re not ordering it in for lunch at the office, I’m driving down to have it for dinner. Tonight, I was just polishing off the last of my meal when I received a text message from the gang at Fuel. It read “Foie protesters at DB on their way to Fuel! Cheers!”. Sigh. I was stuffed (yes, like a goose), but nevertheless jumped into my car and drove down to show my support. The dozen or so protesters, most of their faces concealed behind bandanas in keeping with their faux-rebel personas, shouted and waved their placards. “Shame! Shame!”one of them shouted with Hitler Youthish gusto.

I grabbed a seat at the bar, last one right by the window, so I could have a front row seat of the action. Understand, I don’t have a problem with their opinion (which is erroneous by the way), but their grandstanding, myopic theatrics intended to bully anyone who doesn’t see things their way. Of course they’ll argue that ducks are being mistreated (although I’d guess none of them have ever visited a foie gras farm in their lives whereas those I know who have gone reported the ducks were not mistreated and actually lined up to be fed), and cite their handy pictures and videos as proof (which is akin to showing pictures and a video of a policeman beating a citizen and thereby extrapolating that all policemen beat citizens). You could try to counter their hysterics with logic, but a reasoned discussion is the last thing they want, so utterly wrapped up as they are in the downy soft and soundproof ethical purity of their opinions. Truth be told, protesting does nothing to help their cause and actually does the opposite as sales of foie gras actually increase significantly when these food bullies come out on parade. They’re well aware of the fact but, at the end of the day, they don’t care. They don’t demonstrate for ducks. They demonstrate for the glorious attention.

Anyway, I sat at the bar and was soon joined by a fellow foodie who is also, apparently, on the foie gras protester hotline. He had the panseared foie while I enjoyed the foie gras pate. As I ate, the protest leader, an adorably sickly-looking fellow eyed me (Or it might have been my pate. Yes, it was that good.) through the window. I looked back. He glared. I stared. He blew me a kiss. I snatched the invisible kiss out of the air and slipped it into my back pocket for safe keeping. Eventually, the shouting and placard-waving petered out (Hey, they’re vegans. They have to nap a lot.) and they headed off. But not before one of the badanda-sporting greasy-haired young ladies flipped me the bird and yelled “Pervert!”. Pervert? Well, I guess in retrospect I could be accused of being a very lascivious eater. I tend to lick my lips along between bites. I wonder if that’s what she meant.

I paid the bill and headed out, disappointed that they’d left so soon. I was meaning to ask them whether they’d be back tomorrow night so I could plan accordingly. Don‘t want to fill up too much if I‘m headed back for another round of foie.

Oh, hey, we have a winner! Congratulations to Madwelshboy who correctly guessed the three upcoming titles: Lucid, Lost, and Sabotage. The episode numbers and titles are subject to change, so nobody get too attached. Meanwhile, Madwelshboy, I knight thee Sir Mizo, Guesser of Titles!

Everybody finish up Elric: The Stealer of Souls yet? That’s okay. Plenty of time. You have until tomorrow when I post by thoughts on the book, then open things up to your questions and comments for author Michael Moorcock who will be dropping by to answer your queries regarding everyone’s favorite sword-toting albino.

Today’s photos: Actors Patrick Gilmore and Mark Burgess react to the latest script. You can practically chart the five stages of grief in their reactions: shock, denial, bargaining, fear, anger, despair, acceptance, and Smirnoff.

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to – who else? – Madwelshboy, Sir Mizo, Guesser of Titles.

Today’s mailbag:

Daniel Willis writes: “Do you think there will be a chance you will be able to show the opening credits, or in the very least, the theme for SGU? Or do you think we’ll have to wait patiently for it?”

Answer: It’s not my call but I would hope they release the opening credit sequence we watched the other day prior to the premiere. It’s amazing.

Nadine writes: “Have you ever been to West?”

Answer: Yep. Great restaurant. I used to go for the oxtail back when it was spelled Ouest.

Sealurk writes: “…is SGU somewhat made up of the “wish list” from doing SG-1 and SGA, or was it more a case of setting out to do something new and different from the start?”

Answer: “The latter. Brad and Robert are very proud of both SG-1 and Atlantis but wanted to strike out in a different direction with Universe. That said, and as I’ve said more than once, fans of the franchise will find many familiar elements in the new series, from the thrill of exploration and discovery to the strong bonds between the characters to the sense of humor that typified the previous two shows.

Colonel Swede writes: “When you answer the mailbag where do you get the questions from? From these comments or from your E-Mail?”

Answer: From right here on this blog.

Quade1 writes: “SGU has been referred to as an “ensemble” cast several times. When I think “ensemble”, shows come to mind like ER, and Third Watch. Where there was 6+ main characters who shared the screen time in each episode. I once heard Atlantis be referred to as an “ensemble” show. Sure it had 5-6 main characters and several supporting roles, but it nevered seemed that more than 3 of them to be heavily involved in the episode, barring premieres, two parters and finales. Will this also be the case in SGU, or will we be seeing more major players per episode? Can you specify on average how many main characters take part in the episodes?”

Answer: SGU will definitely be showcasing more players, both major and minor. Characters like Rush, Young, Scott, Greer, Eli, Chloe, T.J., and Wray will drive the stories, sometimes individually but more often than not alongside their fellow crew members.

EH-T writes: “ Stargate sure seems to luck out when it comes to having genuinely nice cast members or is it something that is actually taken into account in the casting process?”

Answer: This is definitely something that every producer takes into account when casting. We look for talent, but we also want individuals who have proven themselves professional and easy to work with in the past. In this business, reputations precede you and if there’s ever any uncertainty, a call to a former producer is all it takes.

Randomness writes: “ Maybe you both could work together and write both episodes together before branching off and improving a certain episodes script?

I think you should do episode 20, because you’re a better writer.”

Answer: I disagree. I’m certainly faster, but a more emotional writer while Paul is very meticulous I his approach, addressing every issue before sitting down to write. As a result, his scripts tend to be much tighter.

Riley writes: “While you’re in a question-answering mood (or did you use it all up with the above efforts?) – my flatmate will be house-sitting next month, and she’ll be looking after a pug named Mr Darcy. Do you have any words of advice for her, as PugMeister Extraordinaire?”

Answer: Limber up those massage fingers. They’ll be busy.
          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...hael-moorcock/

June 8, 2009

Photo: Elrick: The Stealer of Souls, by Michael Moorcock

After ten thousand years, the Bright Empire of Melnibone is in decline, its fall hastened by the return of its former ruler, Elric, a feeble albino who wields the all-powerful Stormbringer, a sword capable of sucking the souls of its victims and imparting its owner with superhuman abilities. Elric exacts his revenge on his opportunistic cousin, the tyrant Yyrkoon, and in so doing, damns his own people to a nomadic struggle for survival. A pariah as a result of his treachery, Elric wanders a world caught in the cosmic clash between the forces or Law and Chaos, discovering sweet victories, bitter defeats, love, and loss along the way.

Growing up, I counted the Elric series among my very favorites (alongside Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series) because it was the antithesis to the straightforward good vs. evil fantasy tradition cemented by Tolkien. Unlike the genre’s traditional protagonists, Elric is an anti-hero who, quite frankly, skirts dangerously close to outright villain territory. In the first installment of The Stealer of Souls, “The Dreaming City”, he gains entry to Yyrkoon’s palace only to come across his loyal servant Tanglebones lying near death, struck down while attempting to secretly follow through on his orders. “Master – I’m sorry…”apologizes a dying Tanglebones. “So you should be,”is Elric’s response – although he immediately tempers this by thanking the old man and vowing to avenge him. Then, later, in attempting to flee the forces of Dyvim Tvar and his fellow dragon-riders, Elric abandons his former allies to a fiery fate while he makes good his escape: “He deserted the man who had trusted him, Count Smiorgan, and watched as venom poured from the sky and engulfed him in a glazing green and scarlet flame.”

And yet, he is a man conflicted, cursed with a conscience that will never let him forget those he sacrificed to Stormbringer, unwillingly or not. His inner turmoil is in marked contrast to the joyful violence he metes out in battle, and his frosty demeanor belies an ultimately lonely soul who, at one point, risks all for love. Despite a brooding, morose, and brutal nature, there are flashes of vulnerability in this dangerous warrior, particularly as evidenced through his friendship with his sidekick Moonglum. It’s the exchanges between these two, the spirited sense camaraderie and respect, that really grounds Elric, making his journey and ultimate end that much more tragic.

This new edition collects the author’s early works in the series, presenting them in the order in which they were first published though nevertheless offering a satisfying beginning, middle, and end to Elric’s epic tale. It also includes cover art by our friend John Picacio, James Cawthorn’s original artwork from those early publications, a foreword by Alan Moore, an early review, some essays and, most interestingly of all, an introduction by Michael Moorcock in which he sheds some light on his work, Elric, and the fantasy genre as a whole. It’s a great addition to any fan’s library (of which I am one) but I, of course, had the benefit of familiarity. I wonder how first-timers found this edition. Was it satisfying? Did the finality of the last story preclude the possibility of purchasing the second volume or did it, instead, instill a desire to “fill in the gaps”?

It’s been a while since I’ve read these stories, but I found them as engaging and fiercely imaginative as I did the first time around. An incredibly charismatic anti-hero, plenty of action, and a grand storyline – all set against a thrilling metaphysical backdrop. What more could you ask for?

So, those are my preliminary thoughts. What did everyone else think? Start weighing in with your opinion. I’ll be gathering questions for author Michael Moorcock until Wednesday, so start posting.
            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

June 9, 2009

Photos: Ashleigh, Space Food, Will Waring, Paul McGillion

I don’t even remember what it was I said. I’m sure it was some perfectly innocent question or passing comment. But Ashleigh’s response was unexpected to sat the least. KAPOW! Her fist impacting upside my arm practically knocked me into a nearby recycling bin and caused everyone within earshot to glance at us – me, rubbing the pins and needles sensation out of my shoulder, Ashleigh smiling back mischievously like some naughty toddler. “Sorry,”she said in a way that seemed to imply she wasn’t sorry at all and, in fact, just the opposite. “Did that hurt?”
              I shook it off and went about my day but, later that afternoon, had to drop by her office to grab a bottled war (she hoards them in her mini refrigerator). She was sitting at her desk, immersed in whatever she was reading. I crept along, keeping close to the wall, carefully reached for the refrigerator door. Suddenly, her head snapped up and she fixed me with an icy glare. “Don’t hurt me!”I blurted out. “I only came for some water.”
              She made no sudden moves or threatening gestures, so I quickly grabbed myself a water and retreated as far as the doorway. Then, keeping a safe distance, twisted off the cap and took a sip. She smiled. “How is it?” I threw her an uncertain look. “The water,”she clarified. “Is it good?”

“Why?”I asked, eyeing the water bottle.

“No reason,”was her sunny reply and then, with a shrug, redirected her attention back to her computer.

I sniffed the water, took another cautious sip. It tasted fine. And another sip. From the corner of my eye, I noticed her watching, looking on almost expectantly.

“No reason,”she repeated.

Now I’m far from the paranoid type but, perhaps coincidentally, I have been feeling a tad under the weather ever since. Nothing major. No tears of blood or massive organ failure. Yet. Just a faint queasiness and slight numbness in my earlobes. Probably nothing to worry about but I mention it just in case something should happen. In which case…Avenge me!

Otherwise – all quiet on the production office front today. Director Will Waring and co. were away shooting on location. Everyone is back tomorrow for the first day of Space. Stage 4, Destiny set.

Just spoke to actor Paul McGillion who called to let me know that there’s an opening in his busy schedule and, why yes, he’d love to do a fan Q&A with us. So to all you Beckett boosters and Scot supporters out there, start posting. I’ll be gathering questions for Paul until Friday night – afterwhich it’ll be too late and you’ll only have yourselves to blame. Tsk, tsk.

Meanwhile – those of you who have questions for author Michael Moorcock, please post them before tomorrow afternoon as I’ll be sending them off by day’s end. Take advantage of this rare opportunity to dialogue with one of the giants in the fields of literary SF and Fantasy.

Hey, for those interested in helping out a good cause and/or acquiring some Stargate swag, the gang at MSOL (Michael Shanks Online) are hosting their 5th auction to benefit the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada. It started June 8th and runs for approximately 2-3 weeks. Head on over to place a bid on items donated and signed by Michael and Lexa, David Nykl, Colin Cunningham, Bill Dow and Tom McBeath – additional signatories include Amanda Tapping, Claudia Black, Ben Browder, David Hewlett, Joe Flanigan, Scott Bakula, Jeffrey Donovan… and more.

http://www.michaelshanks-online.com/...05/index.shtml

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to

Some Elric discussion:

**snip**

Mailbag:

Iamza writes: “I couldn’t help noticing you’d recently read DMZ vol 1, and the first volume of Krueger/Ross’s Justice. What did you think of them?”

Answer: Kind of undecided after the first volumes. There’s a lot to like in both and yet there are elements I’m not completely sold on. Neither gripped me to the extent that Jason Aaron’s Scalped has. That said, I’ve enjoyed them both enough to check out the second volume of each.

C.C. writes: “Hey Joe, is it safe to say that Carson had been weaned off his dependency on the Wraith enzyme by the end of season 5, or is he still addicted to it until they find a more permanent treatment?”

Answer: By the end of season 5 (and the beginning of Stargate: Extinction) Beckett has made a full recovery and is no longer dependent on the enzyme.

Major D. Davis writes: “1. What average neilsen rating do you think it will take to renew Universe. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3………?

2. I watched the new SGU trailer and saw quite a bit of bsgish movement/mild shaking of the camera during the talking scenes that made it feel like I was watching bsg(minus the dark ship). This is just for that scene right, cause it was too bsgish and annoying.”

Answers: 1. This is a question for the network as they’ll be the one making the renewal decision.

2. I think a good part of this is a reaction to the editing as well. Keep in mind that trailers are often made up of rapidfire sequences intended to give the viewers a “taste” of movie or series. As a result, you’ll see more chaotic, action-driven instances punctuated by quick cuts. The look of the series itself will be much more balanced.

Chevron7 writes: “OK, since I’ve got you here, what did you think of the idea of the separate pages linked at the top for the dogs and your reading recommendations? Oh and changing the banner image?”

Answer: I’m kind of attached to the banner. As for the separate page link – I don’t know how many people would bother clicking. I think it would probably be easier to just put it in the sidebar as well.

Thornyrose writes: “Do we have a date for the premiere of Universe set yet?”

Answer: I’m not sure whether the network has announced an official premiere date yet.

Paloosa writes: “Speaking of food, I’ve always wondered. For the Wraith, do humans come in different flavors?”

Answer: Only three – vanilla, strawberry, and butter rum.

Crayonbaby writes: “As a writer, do you think that Carl’s style is going to fit SGU better than most of the other writers on staff?”

Answer: Not really. I think everyone has done a terrific job on the scripts to date. The cast is excited about the stories and we’re having a great time writing them.

PG15 writes: “1. What do you think about the quality of the portrayal of women in Stargate? How does it compare to the quality of the portrayal of the male characters?

2. About Teyla; quite a few people raised the criticism of her wearing particularly skimpy costumes in order to appeal to the male viewers. Do you have comments on this?

3. Another interesting point raised was how you guys tend to write mostly just specific kinds of female characters, namely those who are a love interest for a male character; those who are permissive, maternal, and caring; or your typical “alien chick of the week” (whatever that means; their words, not mine). Comments?

4. About leadership, some complained that, while the male leaders were portrayed as mostly authoritative (Hammond, O’Neill, Landry, Woolsey), the female leaders (Weir, Carter) were portrayed as non-confrontational and having to defer to the men around them. Again, comments?”

Answers: 1. I think we’ve had some strong and wonderfully unique characters in Stargate. Obviously the first one that comes to mind is Samantha Carter who, over her many years on the franchise, has become one of the most recognized and respected female characters in SF television. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the equally strong but certainly more, uh, colorful Vala Mal Doran whose mercenary outlook belied a certain vulnerability. The women of Stargate: Universe also possess a depth of character we’re just beginning to explore.

2. Hey, she’s a warrior. Baggy clothing makes it tricky to maneuver. That said, while sexy (and I’m sure the same thing could be said for Ronon’s attire), it was always tasteful and appropriate.

3. I’m sure that if you look hard enough, you’ll find touchstone elements in any of our characters – McKay (the awkward nerd), Teal’c (the noble warrior), O’Neill (the wisecracking hero) – but these are simply surface impressions.

4. I’m not sure how to answer this. Could you give me examples? In the case of Weir, her non-confrontational style was a result of her experience in the field of international negotiation. She wasn’t military and so, whenever possible, opted for a less confrontational approach because, to be perfectly blunt, it’s the smarter way to deal with a problem. Weir was always sure of herself. Compare this to Woolsey who was on very uncertain ground when he first took over command of the Atlantis expedition but gradually came into his own.

PG15 also writes: “5. There was also criticism of how Carter was rarely personally invested in the series’s main plots (she was kind of just “along for the ride”, while the male characters had personal storylines; i.e. Daniel and Sha’re, and later Daniel and his connection to Anubis, and his guilt at bringing in the Ori; Jack and Skarra; Teal’c and his people), and when she is, the fact that she was female was integral to the plot, i.e. Fifth loved her and she betrayed him, and that started the whole human replicator plot; Martouf and Carter during the Jolinar plot. Her gender was the focus of her stories, while the same does not hold true for the male characters. So, uh…comment?”

Answer: Carter’s connections to Fifth, Martouf, and Pete were really no different than similar stories and arcs we explored with Teal’c and Drey’auc, Teal’c and Ishta, Teal’c and Shau’nac, or Daniel and Share, Daniel and Sarah, Daniel and Vala, or Jack and Sam. Also, Daniel’s guilt for bringing the Ori or the Jack and S’karra storyline paled considerably to the exploration of Sam’s relationship with her father Jacob and his tok’ra Selmak.

Dankriss writes: “Have you changed how we put up comments?…usually we get to see the comment but with awaiting moderation come up?”

Answer: Nope, nothing has changed. However, comments with links are initially re-routed to the spam folder (which is why you couldn’t see your last comment in queue).

DasNdanger writes: “So, Joe…all kidding and snark aside…would you continue to support the consumption of an animal if you were to learn that the very survival of the species was at stake, or if the suffering of the animal was beyond that with which you are comfortable?”

Answer: Hey, I’ve stopped eating panda haven’t I?

Alexandre writes: “ On the new sneak peak of Syfy, Robert Carlyle is DAVID Rush, but I tought he was NICHOLAS Rush ? isn’t is ?”

Answer: It’s Nicholas.
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...itute-map-wel/

June 10, 2009

Photos: Carl Binder

This is a warning to you trusting individuals out there. If somebody calls you claming to be a representative of a sprinkler service and asks you to pull the fire alarm to “reset” the system, question him to make sure he is who he claims to be. And, if he is, then go ahead and follow his instructions to shatter windows, shut down power, and break off a sprinkler head. You know, I’ve always wondered what kind of a moron would fall for those spam emails. Well, know I know…http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...092prank3.html

After lunch today, we sat down and watched the director’s cut of Time. Hoowee! What a ride! Great script, great direction, and great performances all around make this one of the stand-out episodes of what has thus far been an overwhelmingly solid first season line-up. A special shout-out to David Blue (who wasn’t on set when I swung by this afternoon to congratulate the actors on a job well done) for a performance at turns humorous, commanding, and touching. And, of course, an extra-special congrats to Robert C. Cooper who wrote, directed, and produced the episode. Tonight, we celebrated Hungarian style…with schnitzel platters for everyone (“Everyone” being Robert, Carl, Lawren, and myself).

So every once in a while, I like to check out my blog stats and, specifically, the search terms that led those unwary first-timers to this blog. Usually, it’s names like “Joseph Mallozzi” or “Amanda Tapping”, or titles like “Stargate: Universe”, but occasionally it’ll be a term so bizarre or foreign to this blog that it leaves me scratching my head wondering: 1) How the hell did this search term lead back to my blog? and 2) What the hell were these people tracking down “kilted hamsters” for? A few of my favorites from the past week:

“Chocolate party” (seven searches)

“Komodo dragon clip art” (four searches)

“Gene Simmons” (three searches)

“Scooby Doo” (two searches)

“creepy house” (two searches)

“Ottawa vulcan seat” (two searches)

“lion cupcake violet crumble” (one search)

“is it safe to give a whole carrot to a 9” (one search)

“Montreal map prostitutes” (one search)

“NJ 2009 alternatives to serving jail time” (one search)

“Barney the dinosaur cursing on tv” (one search)

Hope everyone found what they were looking for.

Some Elric discussion:

**snip**
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...atest-project/

June 11, 2009

Photo: Author Michael Moorcock

I started this little book club a couple of years ago for a number of reasons. It was originally envisioned as a way of: 1. Getting some of you SF enthusiasts reading. 2. Sharing my love of reading with likeminded individuals. 3. Introducing readers to authors they may not have otherwise checked out. 4. Spotlighting new or lesser-known writers and giving them whatever exposure this modest blog could provide. Over the course of the club’s run, we’ve read some wonderful books and hosted some equally wonderful authors – a few up-and-comers, many established players in their various genres, and a couple of outright legends in the field. Today’s guest author falls in the latter category.

I’ve been a fan of Michael Moorcock for as long as I can remember and it gives me great pleasure to be able to introduce some new readers to the works of an author who helped shaped not only the Fantasy genre, but SF, comics, and gaming as well. But before I turn this blog over to Mike, I’d like to make mention of another author many of you may be familiar with.

About a year ago, author Catherynne M. Valente kindly took the time to stop by and discuss that month’s Fantasy Book of the Month Club selection – The Orphan’s Tales: In the Night Garden. Those of you who took part may remember the book, a wildly inventive narrative that fashioned tales within tales within tales, or the supporting Q&A (click here to jog your respective memories: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-virtual-tour/). Well, in today’s comments section, blog semi-regular Gen informed us that Catherynne is going through a bit of a difficult time and has come up with a novel way of dealing with the challenge she faces. She has started to write a novel, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, that she will be offering up free to those interested. Every Monday, a new chapter will be made available on her site. As I said, it’s free, but if you enjoy Catherynne’s work (and I can’t imagine you wouldn’t) and want to support her in this ongoing project, there’s a handy link you can click on to make a donation. As Catherynne writes: “Pay whatever you like for it, whatever you think it’s worth.”: http://yuki-onna.livejournal.com/487082.html. Head on over a check it out.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I proudly turn this blog over to Michael Moorcock…

**snip**
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...s-and-mailbag/

June 12, 2009

Photos: Kerry and Kerry, Jennifer Spence

We were standing in the hallway, making plans for that night’s outing, when I threw a glance to Ashleigh and asked whether she’d be joining us. No, she explained, she was meeting a friend for dinner.

“Hey, maybe you can bring her along,”I suggested.

“Yeah,”she replied as though I’d suggested she should compete in the Olympic decathlon. “Me and my four dads.”

Dads?

“Wait a minute!”Lawren piped up, looking back and forth between me and Carl, then back to Ashleigh. “Who’s the fourth?”

“The other guy,”she replied, motioning back down the hall.

“Uh, you mean Paul?”I asked. The guy you’ve been working with for the past few months?

“Yeah,”she said, all smiles.

“But I’m younger than you!”protested Lawren. “I’m, at best, an older step-brother!”

For his part, Carl seemed to find this hilarious. In all fairness, however, he’s used to fielding gags about his age. I mean seriously. Last time he told someone how old he was, they assumed he was talking in “dog years“. My response, however, was less than amused. I believe it was something along the lines of “Hunh.” as I turned and headed back to my office.

Now I’ve never considered myself as old. Until now of course. Generally, I’ve dealt with people as personalities rather than age groups although I realize that that isn’t the norm. And I usually wouldn’t give the ageistic realities of our society a second thought – except that, now that the subject has been broached, I’m forced to admit that it’s only a matter of time before I’m headed into that twilight territory where “fun” gives way to “charming” and the best one can score is the inoffensively neuteral (sic) ”distinguished”. All at once, the inter-office hilarity becomes somewhat less so because, in the back of your mind, you imagine the person you’re sharing a laugh with heading back home, stepping through their front door, and loudly proclaiming: “You’ll never guess what that adorable old coot said today!”. Suddenly, you’re the crazy uncle, ole so-and-so whose antics liven up the workplace much to the delight of your fellow employees who can’t quite tell whether you’ve been gifted with a wonderful sense of humor or simply surendered to the eccentricity that, years down the line, will see you leaping through the aisles of your local supermarket wrapped in toilet paper screaming “Squeeze the Charmin! Squeeze the Charmin!”

Anyway – the next morning, when I rolled in, I was asked what I’d done the previous night. “After dinner, I stopped by to watch some commercial construction for an hour,”I answered. “Then I got home, had a glass of Metamucil, soaked my feet in Epson salts, and fell asleep in front of the t.v. watching some nature show.” Yep, it’s all downhill from here.

Yesterday, we watched the latest cut of Life. A brilliant episode (written by Carl Binder, directed by Alex Chapple) with some great performances – and here I must make mention of two guest starts in particular: Sarah Smyth, who delivers a wonderfully nuanced performance as the struggling Annie Balic, and Reiko Aylesworth (Hey, eagle-eyed Lost fans!) whose touching turn as Sharon proves alternately uplifting and heart-rending. Great casting.

Speaking of which – actress Jennifer Spence plays the role of Dr. Lisa Park in Stargate Universe, a character who has developed quite nicely since the pilot. Here’s a classic case of a supporting player who, over the course of several episodes, catches the attention of the writer/producers on the basis of an impressive initial performance. Based on that initial performance, the actor is given more to do – and hits it out of the park, which gives rise to more interest and meatier scenes. Jennifer‘s growing role on SG:U is just one example of the many such instances I‘m seeing develop as we make our way past the season one midway mark.

Received an email from writer-producer Rafael Jordan who tells me his latest SciFi original movie, Star Runners, premieres tomorrow night. All you Connor Trinneer fans may want to check out (http://www.youtube.com/user/rafael607).

Mailbag:

Belouchi writes: “I have a quick question regarding the Stargate Universe upcoming series: you mentioned on an earlier blog entry that you were waiting for the opportune time to release to us fans some cool concept arts of the Destiny and other tech related props. Any idea when that time will be, if you can post them that will be great.”

Answer: Alas, still waiting for the okay from the studio with regard to much of the behind-the-scenes pics I’ve taken. I’m hoping things will relax after Comic Con.

Louis writes: “Joe I was just wondering if you have ever read any books by Stephen Baxter?”

Answer: Not yet. I have The Time Ships sitting on my to-read pile.

Nadine writes: “Loved the pic of Lulu today.. Will she actually chase the ball, or does she prefer tug-of-war type games?”

Answer: Oh, she’ll chase it, chew it, then nudge it into some inaccessible spot (ie under the couch) and bark until I rescue it for her. Then she’ll repeat the process.

Nadine also writes: “ I seem to recall reading that the pictures on the sidebar are randomly generated, but have you read them all? I swear I saw a pic of Mary Doria Russell’s “The Sparrow”.

If so, have you read it? Did you enjoy it? Was there ever a BotM discussion for it?”

Answer: It wasn’t a book of the month club selection, but I did read and enjoy it.

Major D. Davis writes: “Almost one year ago, Brad had an interview in which he said the Atlantis movie would be made in the near future(Also, he already knew you guys were doing Universe, so I am assuming he had that in mind during the interview). Almost 10 months later the actors haven’t even been contacted yet. I mean how can this not be considered a delay?”

Answer: Ah, if only it were as simple as simply picking a date and making a movie. Unfortunately, it’s a process complicated by deal aspects I’ve already enumerated in a previous entry (look it up, ed.) in addition to the stark realities of a suffering DVD market (the victim of a perfect storm of circumstances – the evolution of alternate media platforms, the recession, and – my #1 suspect – Blu-ray). In order to set an official date for the commencement of principal photography, the studio – which is taking the lion’s share of the risk by bankrolling the production – must first sort out a number of issues. Still, as I’ve been saying all along, we all want to make this movie (me most of all as, from a purely mercenary standpoint, I’ll be producing it – and not for free), and we now have a first draft script in place.

ZeroPointBatteries writes: “How does the filming of sgu work while Lou is on a supposedly ‘live’ television show at the moment?”

Answer: No differently than when we have to shoot around the commitments of other actors. Happens all the time.

Nicole writes: “ I’ll be driving out to the east coast (Canada) this summer with stops in Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City – a day or two per city. Could you recommend some must try restaurants – and maybe chocolate shops?”

Answer: Sorry, I know nothing about the Ottawa and Quebec City dining scene and, quite frankly, very little about the Montreal dining scene. If you like foie gras, I definitely recommend Au Pied de Cochon (I go for dinner every time I’m in town). As for some Montreal chocolate shops, I’d suggest checking out Les Chocolats de Chloe located, conveniently, practically right across the street from Au Pied de Cochon.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-creamed-out/

June 13, 2009

Photos: Maximus, Bubba, Jelly, Brie, Lulu

What’s this? You HAVEN’T been following my pack on twitter? What, you have something better to do than read the constant unfathomable updates of a bunch of dogs hitting random keys on a laptop? Shame! SHAME! Recent highlights have included “asjkjkjk”, “fdslkjfdkjk”, and the eye-brow raising “alkalkdkld”. Oh, and there’ the pics as well – each one snapped by the portable helmet cams I’ve outfitted each of them with. Here is some of what you’ve missed out on if you’ve been too busy living your lives and whatnot…

http://twitter.com/JellMaxBubLu

Hey, what was the last really great movie you saw? I mean “great”; not “switch off your brain popcorn fun”. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of one. Carl has been very big on Up, which he has seen once and plans to see again. Other than that, not much on the radar. The recent lunchtime conversation seems to revolve around movies that “weren’t so bad” when you factor in low expectations. There was one movie Rob saw that he absolutely hated, so much so that he bitterly complained about what a colossal waste of time it was as he took it apart in great detail. Weeks later, Brad saw the same movie and, fully expecting it to be horrible given Rob’s critique, came away “not hating it”. Emboldened by Brad’s not altogether terrible review, Paul saw it. Alas, he went in with slight expectations and was sorely disappointed. He hated it! Hearing this, Carl watched the movie, assuming it would be an utter disaster. Given his low expectations, he came away not disliking it all that intensely. Now, I’ve been thinking of checking the movie out but have to wait out a turn for someone else to go in and reaffirm those rock bottom expectations so that I don’t end up kicking in my speakers in a blind fury.

Hey, one movie I’m cautiously optimistic about – and an SF movie no less – is Moon. Supposedly made for a mere $5 million dollars, the film, starring Sam Rockwell, is the first big screen feature for director Duncan Jones. It’s an intriguing, smart-looking trailer (check it out here: http://www.sonyclassics.com/moon/trailer.html) and, yeah, even though the computer does sound a little like Hal 9000, I’m willing to give it a shot.

Right after someone at work goes to see it and comes back with an unfavorable review.

After dinner tonight, we went out for ice cream. It took me a good fifteen minutes to peruse the various flavors and finally pare down my choices to three: peanut butter chocolate, pistachio, and pecan pie.

“I’ll do three scoops,”I told the server.

He stared back at me as if I’d just ordered an oyster po’boy. “A double?”he asked.

“No,”I corrected him. “A triple.”

He motioned up at the big board. They only went as far as double scoops. Outrageous! He was essentially asking me to drop one of my selections. I mean, seriously. What is this? Sophie’s Choice? No way. Perhaps reading my burgeoning dismay, he suggested he could put three scoops into one of the big 500 ml (roughly half quart) take-home containers. “Sure, sure,”I readily agreed.

I paid for my pint (and my wife’s modest single scoop in a dish) and retired to one of the exterior tables (but only after having to ask for a spoon) where I proceeded to polish it off. All in all, not bad. I can make better – and am thinking I will for work this Friday (but don’t tell the guys). I’m considering experimenting with a milk chocolate with crumbled bacon. Anyway, ten minutes later, we were done. My wife was unable to finish her. “Yeah, neither was I,”I informed her. It wasn’t a lie. Had she checked, she would have noticed the quarter-size of melt bit languishing at the bottom of my mini bucket.

Tomorrow, we’re off to the monthly French Bulldog beach party – to be followed in two weeks by the monthly Pug beach party. Will, of course, report back with pics.

Oooh, feeling a little queasy. Hope I’m not coming down with something.
                      sigpic

Comment

a question for the ppl that remember everything. didn't joe say sometime ago that we'd hear more on the movie's filming front at this year's comic con?
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...he-comic-book/

June 14, 2009

Photos: Lulu, Jelly, Maximus

“We leave tomorrow morning at 9:30,”my wife informed me last night. “9:30!”

Right. 9:30. I woke up at 8:00, fed the dogs, showered, dressed, checked my blog comments, took the pugs out for a short walk (so they wouldn’t feel left out), and was ready for 9:30 sharp! Unfortunately, my wife wasn’t and we ended up leaving a tad later. In this case, a tad = approximately one hour. We buckled Brie and Lulu into the back and motored off to our very first French Bulldog meet-up.

Well, that was the plan but, after driving aimlessly around sprawling Stanley Park for another hour, we’d found no trace of the gathering. “Stanley Park Shuffleboard Court Off-Lease Area,”Fondy read the location off her blackberry. “Shuffleboard Court? You see a shuffleboard court?

No. No shuffleboard court, but it was the third time we’d passed the same lawn bowling club. Close, but no cigar. Eventually, we got fed up and stopped for ice cream at Prospect Point. Pistachio and almond for me, plain old soft serve vanilla for everyone else.

Hopefully we’ll have better luck in two weeks for the pug meet-up.

On the way home, I picked up some toys for the dogs who missed out on ice cream. For some reason, I am incapable of walking out of a pet shop without purchasing at least one of those stuffed ducks that quacks a tune when you squeeze them (I got two on this occasion – one to play with and one to keep on my shelf in mint condition).

Well, damn. Normally, when I’m given the green light on a story idea, I can head off on my own, spin it and beat out an outline inside of a week, but I seem to have hit the wall with episodes 19 and 20. Part of the problem rests with the fact that, when I break a story, I start at the beginning and work my way through. Unfortunately, the idea pitched out for episode 19 is fairly complex and full of TBD’s (“To Be Decided’s” for those not in the know). Paul suggested we work backward from episode 20, but that is easier said than done given that 20 is fraught with TBD’s as well. Working backward is the right idea, but our starting point should actually be season two. Sometime in the next two weeks, we’re going to have to sit everyone down and establish a game plan for the back half and beyond. That way, we can all head off on hiatus with a script assignment – and, more importantly, come back from hiatus with SGU’s first season stories locked down.

Finally – Paul phoned me up Friday night to find out whether I had spoken to our agent. Apparently Paul had missed his call several hours earlier. Assuming this was about that comic book project, I sent off an email: “Paul tells me you and Jim called him earlier tonight but he missed your call. Is this about the comic book series?” About fifteen minutes later, I received a response: “Ues” and, moments later, “Yes”. Hmmm. I fired back another email: “Good news? Bad news?” Moments later, my agent called to inform me that it was good news. The individuals we spoke with loved pitch and are excited about the concept. Now, it’s simply a matter of letting the agents and lawyers do their thing.

Mailbag:

Nadine writes: “And speaking of other bulldogs, do you know the Frenchie Tubby, and his “sister” (English bulldog) Angel? I’m pretty sure Tubby and Lulu are both from Amberbull, so I was just wondering…”

Answer: Ha. We dropped by to visit Tubby today but he wasn’t in. Tubby, by the way, is Lulu’s brother.

GenericWhiteGuy writes: “So, Joe. Last night my apartment was broken into while I was asleep.”

Answer: I wish I had an extra operational zat gun to give you in the unlikely event the guy makes a return visit. Remember, you have to zat him three times to get rid of the evidence.

Quade1 writes: “I am assuming this movie you are referring to as hit or miss is Terminator Salvation??”

Answer: No. To be honest, I don’t even remember what the movie was – but it’s available on dvd.

Anais33 a ecrit: “Ofaite je voudrais savoir, vous n’avez toujour pas prévu un petit voyage en France?”

Answer: Non. Desolais.

Translation: I have no plans to travel to France in the near future.

Martyn Drake writes “As for the Twitter adventures of the dogs, they make more sense than most of the celebrities out there. I mean, “faljklyeeeeeccccchhjkljkfdsljkfljklkj” is more profund than “Oh, I’ve lost my purse at the Ivy and now I’ll have to slum it by walking. I’ve not had to do that since I wrote off my ferarri in Monte Carlo. Oh, I AM a tease!”

Answer: Please tell me you just made that up.

Maggiemayday writes: “Moulin Rouge, that was great.”

Answer: Moulin Rouge?! Egads! That one makes my Top 10 Most Hated List.

DasNdanger writes: “Hey, Joe…remember I said I had a friend who looked like your mum? I just showed her daughter a picture of your mother from last July’s blog, and she agreed – said your mom could easily be one of her aunts.”

Answer: Is she Italian?

Craig MD writes: “I thought Alaina Huffman’s character (name escapes me) was the only one with a medical background. Does this mean that “Doctor” Lisa Park is trained in something else?”

Answer: Park is not a medical doctor.

Rebecca H. writes: “I think, considering your subsequent paragraphs, that you have a distinct fear of aging, possibly because you don’t understand what’s coming next. [..] You call yourself a writer (okay, amend that, you actually ARE a writer), but could you write a compelling story about this kind of human agony?”

Answer: I pitched out a story that deals with this very theme. Unfortunately, it didn’t go anywhere. Still, I like the idea and may eventually use it elsewhere.

StellaByStargate writes: “Could you comment on whether the same factors are having an impact on the SG1 movie as well? “

Answer: Both movies face many similar challenges – in addition to a few different ones.

Nadine writes: “ Just a question: in the episode “Arthur’s Mantle” (season 9) who came up with Bill Lee’s “miniaturization” line?”

Answer: What was the line?

My Name Is Scott: “Your next blog entry will be my last for the summer. On Sunday morning, I ship out to Army basic training. I decided to join the MO National Guard so as to take advantage of the free tuition. Wish me luck?”

Answer: Best of luck, buddy. See you soon.

Jinx writes: “You haven’t mentioned having macaroons in some time. Is that a winter treat?”

Answer: Nope, it’s a non-Vancouver treat.

Megan writes: “I was just rewatching Wormhole X-treme today, and in looking at Gateworld’s notes on the episode I saw a quote from you saying that someday you might write an addendum to the episode explaining all the in-jokes. Any chance of that actually happening?”

Answer: I never did one?
                          sigpic

Comment

Hello everyone. You know the questions for Paul McGillion.Do you think the answers will be posted on Joe's Blog ?
                            GOODBYE GATEWORLD. BEEN FUN TAKE CARE ALL!!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                              a question for the ppl that remember everything. didn't joe say sometime ago that we'd hear more on the movie's filming front at this year's comic con?
                              I don't think so, might've been Brad or Carl

Originally posted by McgillionFan View Post
                              Hello everyone. You know the questions for Paul McGillion.Do you think the answers will be posted on Joe's Blog ?
                              yup
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...commendations/

June 15, 2009

Photos: Scalped, The Walking Dead

Today, the writers’ room was abuzz with talk of the impending return of Golden Boy Martin Gero to the Stargate fold – for all of a week anyway. He heads back into town this weekend (We will, of course, be hitting Fuel big time in celebration) and will be back in the production offices all next week so that we can tear apart his latest script outline and, hopefully, pick his brain for the final few scripts. But that isn’t really cause for excitement. No, what we’re really looking forward to is the return of Marty G.’s expansive comedy character library – so much so that Carl jotted down some of the most memorable routines up on the white board under the heading “Martin Needs To Do”. including, my personal favorite, the eternally cheerful Topango.

Also today, work was completed that effectively transformed my house into our neighborhood Fort Knox. Window bars, gate barriers, rolling grilles, sliding shutters, and a roof mounted sniper’s nest offer security, peace of mind, and a way to ensure that nobody leaves movie night without chipping in for the pizza.

So over the past few months, I’ve been varying my enormous reading list with assorted comic books and trade paperbacks. Plenty of hits and misses among the titles (actually, many more misses than hits) but I wanted to make mention of two staggeringly fantastic ongoing series available in trade paperback.

SCALPED (volumes 1-4), written by Jason Aaron, Illustrated by R. M. Guera

Yes, you’ve heard the name Jason Aaron before because I’ve mentioned it a few times. He’s a writer who blog regular Das recommended a while back. I checked out some of his work for DC and Marvel and came away mightily impressed. But it’s his original series, Scalped, that totally blew me away. It a Noir Western focusing on hard-ass protagonist Dashiell Bad Horse and his return to Prairie Rose, a South Dakota Indian Reservation he abandoned as a teenager. Burdened by memories of the life and loved ones he left behind, he quickly becomes ensnared in the politics of the rez, typified by murder, mayhem, and mystery. Complicating matters is the fact that Bad Horse has a few secrets of his own…

The writing is sharp, raw, and unflinching. The artwork appropriately bleak and weathered, mirrors our hardened hero. It’s like a one of HBO’s better shows – in trade paperback form.

THE WALKING DEAD (Compendium 1 collecting issues #1-48), written by Robert Kirkman, Illustrated by Tony Moore, Charlie Aldrad, and Cliff Rathburn.

Hyperbole aside, The Walking Dead is the greatest work of zombie fiction ever produced. Yes, apologies to George Romero and Max Brooks who have done wonderful work in the field, but Kirkman’s series trounces all undead comers with its nightmarish dystopian setting, scope of its storytelling, and incredible depth and richness of its characters. The zombie apocalypse has come and a group of survivors battle the undead and each other in their struggle for survival. Almost impossible to put down once you’ve started.

Check ‘em out!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X