Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sue_Jackson View Post
    Oooh....extinction of the Wraith! May be! Good thought!

I don't think the Wraith worshipers would be happy about that.
    I don't see that happening. Killing off the Wraith seems like something that will happen in the last SGA movie
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Can we hope that the dogs will leak the whole movie ahead of time as well?

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
        Can we hope that the dogs will leak the whole movie ahead of time as well?
        Think we can bribe them with maribone jelly?

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...use-my-review/

May 17, 2009

Photos: Foie gras with wine plums, Salad with beets, goat cheese, and walnuts, Rotisserie ducks, Crispy duck with truffled mash, grean beans, and spicy thai sauce, Assorted desserts, Chocolate waffle with home made ice creams (banana and peanut butter), Rob Cooper

I don’t get invited to many dinner parties. It may be because I do so much fine dining that my friends are too intimidated to cook for me. Or it may be because I grow quickly bored with table conversations and tend to wander about the premises, forcing hosts to put up the kiddy gates to keep me penned in. Or it could be because inviting me over to your place for dinner pretty much guarantees that I’ll be writing up a review for the next day’s blog.

Robert Cooper, however, knows no such fear – partly because he’s a pretty damn good cook, and partly because he’s trained his dog to attack anyone who wanders into the master bedroom. And last night, as their way of thanking us for the chocolate party, Rob and his lovely wife Hilary had us over for dinner. “Hope you’re hungry,”said Rob as we walked in the door. “I prepared a four course meal.”

“Oh, I’m hungry,”I assured him. “I haven’t eaten since lunch!”

“What’s this?”he asked as I handed him a bag containing three boxes full of pastries.

“I got these for the party I’m going to after dinner,”I joked. “So if you can just put them aside for me.”

“Oh, you’re going to David Blue’s apartment-warming party?”

“Uh, no. These are for us.” And then: “David Blue is having an apartment-warming party?”

“I’m making dessert,”Rob informed me as he took the bag and everyone headed into the kitchen. “Chocolate waffles with home made ice cream.”

Wait. David Blue is having an apartment-warming party?

My biggest pet peeve with dinner parties is the old bait and switch. They tell you to come for a certain time and then don’t end up serving the meal until one, two, sometimes three hours later! Seriously, if I wanted to wait that long to eat, I’d go back to Restaurant Connor Butler. Fortunately, on this night, there was no waiting around and awkward hinting (“When you said 7:00 p.m., was that Hawaii time?”).

Our first course was pan-fried foie gras on mini French toasts served with wine-poached plums and pea sprout garnish. Well, I assumed they were a garnish until I noticed everyone else eating theirs. “These are so rich!”I loudly proclaimed. “I don’t want to fill up too much and not have room for the rest of dinner.” I don’t think they bought it. Speaking of rich – and delicious – the foie gras was cooked to a sweet golden mouth-melting perfection. The not overly-sweet plums provided a nice balance.

Next up was the salad course – mixed green with roasted beets, walnuts, dates, and crumbled goat cheese. A good dish made great with the addition of those meaty oven-roasted beets. A pleasing symphony of tastes and textures.

On to our main course – crispy rotisserie duck with truffled mash potatoes, steamed green beans, and a spicy plum sauce. “It’s really hot!”Rob warned us about the sauce and while it was certainly piquant, it wasn’t off-putting. Still, as enjoyable as it was, it wasn’t really necessary. The duck – crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, was incredibly flavorful.

The mash was - positively sublime. The secret, I think, was in the cream. No scratch that. It was probably in the two tablespoons of duck drippings. As for the green beans – they were a nice accompaniment in that plain and steamed, they served as a nice contrast to the richer elements of the dish – sort of like a brush with death makes you appreciate life.

We finished with multiple desserts. While a couple of the pastries I picked up were very good (Hello, chocolate-banana), I was less-than-impressed with most.

The chocolate waffles with the homemade ice creams (banana and peanut butter) on the other hand was a winner. I haven’t had ice cream this good since – well, since the last time I made ice cream.

We concluded the night by heading down to the theater room where we watched – not a movie but the editor’s cut of Air III. Wow! Those white sands look amazing. It was Fondy’s first exposure to SGU and she enjoyed the episode immensely. Her favorite character: Sgt. Ronald Greer. My wife is now a confirmed Jamil Walker Smith fan.

Overall, an excellent meal. Given the opportunity, I would definitely go back.

Rob and Hilary’s:

Prices: NA

Hours: From the time they invite you over to the moment they kick you out.

Liquor, wine: Full bar.

Noise level: Not too bad.

Credit cards: N.A.

Reservations: Highly Recommended

Dress: Casual.

Early-bird service or deals: No.

Takeout: Yes.

Parking: No valet but hopefully this will change. Parking on street.
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

White Sands, eh?
            The National Park- or the Missile Range?

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...el-a-burstein/

May 18, 2009

Photo: I Remember The Future by Michael A. Burstein

Since winning the John W. Campbell for Best New Writer in 1997, Michael A. Burstein has received multiple nominations for some of SF’s most prestigious awards, but has yet to take home either a Hugo or Nebula. Sure, on the surface this may seem like an “always the bridesmaid never the bride” situation but, truth be told, the fact that he has amassed so many nominations is an achievement in itself. And, while it’s unlikely that bridesmaid will show up at her friend’s wedding and end up getting married herself, it’s more than likely that, given Michael’s track record, he will, in time, score those elusive Hugos and Nebulas. He’s a “big idea” guy with a solid Physics background to draw from and a writing style reminiscent of SF’s Golden Age (specifically, Asimov comes to mind). I Remember the Future collects his award-nominated stories in one handy volume.

When it comes to anthologies, you always want to start strong, and we do just that with “Kaddish for the Last Survivor”. As the last Holocaust survivor faces his final hours, media outlets and Holocaust deniers descend on his home to mark the event. The dying man’s grand-daughter, Sarah, visits him for the last time and, following a heart-rending farewell, takes it upon herself to keep the memories of her people’s struggles alive. A wonderful story made all the more intriguing by the afterword in which the author offers up his original ending. In this early version, rather than choose to have the 110290 tattooed on her forearm, the number “slowly appeared on her arm, in the exact same position as it had been on her grandfather’s”. The decision was made to go with the alternate ending because it was argued that the original made the protagonist too passive. Initially, I agreed, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked that original ending for just that – the suggestion that Sarah innately bears the memories and history of her predecessors. Above all else, she is a part of her people and her people are a part of her.

In the second story, TeleAbsence, a boy from the inner city discovers hope and happiness in a virtual school environment after stealing the identity of one of the students. Although, stylistically, it reads like YA, it posits some very tough questions about our educational system, the ever-present line between the haves and the have-nots, and whether advancements in the field of education may only further the divide. Memorable characters in our eager protagonist Tony and his well-intentioned teacher Miss Ellis in a well-told and touching tale.

The third story, TelePresence, picks up many years later when Tony, now an adult, must solve a murder that has taken place in the virtual reality school setting. Again, some difficult questions are posited about the role of education in our society but, after the emotional strengths of the story preceding it, this one actually felt comparatively lightweight despite the murder mystery elements.

The next four stories – “Broken Symmetry”, “Absent Friends”, “Reality Check”, and “Empty Spaces” – form a series about the creation of a breach between parallel worlds and the effects it has on several individuals. This is a great example of the “big ideas” I referred to earlier as the author roots the story’s strange happenings firmly in the world of theoretical physics. Fascinating stuff although, like TelePresence, this series lacks the emotional resonance that typified the first two stories. Even though we’re told that Jack has been impacted by the loss of his friend and takes steps to recapture echoes of that friendship by risking all to travel to the alternate Earth, I was never wholly convinced. I think the big bump for me came in the second story, “Absent Friends”, when Jack (visitor to this alternate reality) meets Paula, almost passes out, quickly glosses over the incident, and then is asked out for dinner. The two meat at a restaurant and only then do we learn that she is suspicious of him. My initial reaction was: If you’re suspicious of this guy (and I certainly would be), why go to dinner with him? I had a tough time accepting her motivation and, as a result, never really got onboard.

Next up was “Spaceships” and this was one of my favorites. In a future where humanity has evolved past physical form, an entity known as Kel lives an isolated existence among his collection of spaceships – until he’s paid a visit by Ria, a mysterious being with a hidden agenda. More than any other, this entry had the feel of those SF classics I used to read. Great stuff.

“Decisions” was another solid entry, focusing on the cautious response of an advanced alien civilization to humanity’s burgeoning galactic presence. Another story pleasantly reminiscent of the grandmasters.

Clearly, Michael Burstein is a big fan of time-travel as evidenced by the next story, “Times Ablaze”, which focuses on one man’s journey back to turn of the century New York to make a record of a tragedy in which 1 021 victims perished aboard the steamship General Slocum. Of course, as is often the case when you dabble in time travel, the rules of non-interference become mere suggestions – especially when love comes into play. A solemn tale made all the more sobering by the fact that our protagonist journeys back in time to keep alive the memories of the victims of a tragedy all but forgotten today.

In “Seventy-five Year”, census information holds a surprising secret about one man’s past. Really. It turns out to be a subtle but effective critique of corporate copyright.

“Sanctuary” is a heavy-hitter, a story that tackles some huge contemporary hot-button issues by transplanting them to a near-future setting. In the story, an alien seeks sanctuary at a church to avoid giving up her unborn child. The priest caught in the center of a cultural dispute soon realizes that all is not as it seems and that he may well be a pawn in a much greater moral conflict.

In “I Remember the Future”, a dying writer discovers that there is an afterlife, one engendered by his own imagination, when characters from his fictions breach the wall between alternate realities to rescue him. Love the idea of creations brought to life, especially because, in the back of my mind, I’ve often imagined a similar scenario playing out (except instead of death it’s an extra-long notes session that Baron Destructo and the League of Aliens and Mutants for Evil are rescuing me from). Great story.

A return to theme of time travel in “Cosmic Corkscrew”, a tale in which our protagonist travels back to 1938 to meet his boyhood idol Isaac Asimov. Again, a wonderful premise, but the story hit a major bump for me halfway through and never really righted itself. Given everything our protagonist knows about the inherent dangers of time travel, he is incredibly sloppy in his conversation with the young Asimov, blundering into a critique of the Golden Age author’s theory of time travel that forces him to come clean about who he really is. This linchpin moment felt a little too narratively convenient and, thus, tough to dismiss.

Finally, the collection concludes with one of its strongest stories “Paying It Forward” in which a dying writer happens across the webpage of a deceased author and, on a lark, clicks on the email link and leaves a message. The next morning, he receives a response – seemingly from beyond the grave. Like “I Remember the Future”, this one resonated with me on a personal level, reminding me of the day I came across the webpage of Thomas M. Disch only days after his passing.

Overall, a solid collection with Michael A. Burstein’s story-telling skills and creativity on full display. That Nebula and/or Hugo is just around the corner.

So what did everyone else think? If you have questions or comments, I know that author Michael A. Burstein – who not only happens to be a big Stargate fan but a frequent visitor to this blog – would love to see them. So start posting!
              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ring-cleaning/

May 19, 2009 - Part 1

Well, we were all back at work today following the Victoria Day long weekend – Victoria Day, of course, being a recently adopted Canadian holiday commemorating one of history’s most remarkable pioneering female Brits. Yes, I refer to none other than Ms. Victoria Beckham. Looking back, I suspect the vote to bestow the honor on the former Posh Spice may have had more to do with a desire to have an extra holiday in May than anything else. All the same, this is the third year the country has marked the occasion with songs, dance, and goat kebobs in a vast nation-wide celebration that brings together peoples of all races and religions. Except, of course, for the Irish who are prohibited from participating and have to go to work instead. It was a great three-day break and now, Canadians have to wait a whole month for their next big holiday when the Emeril Legasse Day long weekend rolls around in late June.

Today, the SGA movie script, Stargate: Extinction, went out to the writing department. No one has gotten around to reading it yet but I imagine it’s just a matter of time before the accolades start rolling in. Carl, however, did read my short story over the weekend and, to my delight, enjoyed it. So 3 down and 2 356 689 to go!

Before lunch, Carl, Paul, and I headed down to Stage 1 where work is ongoing on the jungle set for Time. It’s looking mighty damn impressive. I took plenty of snaps, including a couple of shots of Carl posing beside a giant alien fern. From there, we headed over to the Destiny set where Peter DeLuise was directing Bobby, Louis, and David in scenes for Darkness and Light.

After lunch, we sat down to watch the director’s cut of Life. I can’t say enough good things about this episode, from Carl Binder’s script to the individual performances to Alex Chapple’s direction. Some incredibly poignant moments delivered by Brian J. Smith, Ming Na, and a couple of wonderful guest stars. I LOVED this episode.

Later, I was sitting in my office when I heard a familiar voice ask: “Is Mallozzi here?” I glanced up and, sure enough, it was Michael Shanks – with his lovely wife Lexa. I was mortified. Had I known he’d be bringing her by, I’d have cleaned the place up. My desk is a drop-zone. They stopped in and we spent a good half hour talking about exorcists, chiropractors, and exorcist-chiropractors. On their own, they’re very funny people but together, these two are absolutely hilarious. A terrific couple – who, conveniently enough, had to rush off to buy some roast chicken after I suggested my office would be clean in no time if we all pitched in.

I Remember the Future discussion:

**snip**
                sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ring-cleaning/

May 19, 2009 - Part 2

Mailbag:

Morticae writes: “You know, there was an episode of SG-1 with a guy that used toothpicks and whatnot to booby trap his doors. Something like that!”

Answer: I know. Paul and I wrote it. Point of No Return.

DasNdanger writes: “1. We know that the Iratus bug that attacked Sheppard was in a sort of web, and in The Defiant One the Wraith webbed up his victim, suggesting that – perhaps – he produced the web/silk from his own body. So, in your mind (or had it ever been discussed), do Wraith have the ability to produce ’silk’ from their bodies, and if so…from where?

2. Since a Wraith – by definition – is a doppelganger, has this ever been taken into consideration in how Sheppard and Todd deal with each other? Todd, the ‘harbinger of bad luck’, ‘haunting’ his double – Sheppard – always present, reminding John of his darker side? Or am I just thinking too hard about this…lol.”

Answers: 1. In my mind, the webbing/cocoon is a byproduct of the ship, itself an organic construct.

2. While the wraith warrior class are clones, queens and the other males are not. They are unique.

O6untouchable writes: “1. In “Misbegotten”, Weir and Woolsey travelled to Atlantis on an Asgard ship, and got there nearly two weeks faster. That’s in roughly the same ballpark as the Daedalus’ 4-day trip from “The Siege”. Since the Asgard designed the Daedalus’ hyperdrive anyway, are their ships faster only because they’ve got a better power source?

2. If it is an issue of the power source, do the Daedalus, Apollo, et al now have better generators (to power the Asgard beam weapons and what-not)? Are they capable of making the trip to Atlantis faster?

3. After “The Return”, the ZPMs that the Asurans put in Atlantis were split up; one of them went to the Drone Chair. When the chair was moved to Area 51, was it still powered by that ZPM, or by some Asgard Core-inspired alternative? If the former, what happened to that ZPM?

4. The other ZPM from “The Return” went to the Odyssey. Between the Asgard Core and the fact that the Ori aren’t a threat anymore, did the ZPM get removed at some point? Was it depleted during “The Ark of Truth”, or is it still alive and kicking somewhere?”

Answers: 1. That’s a safe assumption to make.

2. No. Again, it comes down to the power source not the engine design.

3. Yes, the ZPM went with the chair.

4. More on exactly what is up with the Odyssey upcoming.

Scifan writes: “When it comes to guest actors, do you know who you want for the roles while your doing the script or do they have to ask? I remember someone told me that Goran Visnjic aka Dr. Luca Kovac from E.R. is a big fan of SGA. Do you look for those types of actors?”

Answer: We generally write the script and then look to cast. There have been occasions when we have sought out actors who have turned out to be fans of the show – Isaac Hayes for one, Wayne Brady for another. Goran Visnjic was a big fan of SG-1 and actually visited the set while in town working on Elektra. He and the cast really hit it off. We even offered him a guest spot but, unfortunately, he was unable to make it work schedule-wise.

Jim from WVa writes: “Will Stargate Universe employ shaky camera techniques like the movie Cloverfield?”

Answer: The camera work will certainly be more dynamic, but not to a jumpy, nausea-inducing extent.

T’loc writes: “I have a question, I am watching the Shrine from this past season, what would happen if the team had flown to that planet instead of walking could they have dialed a space-gate to escape? Would the water flown out into space? Would love to know the answer.”

Answer: The planet was only accessible via the planet gate. However, had they traveled their through a space gate, then escape would have been much easier – yes, them along with an enormous amount of water.

SebiMeyer writes: “what software is this? I either use Final Draft or Celtx for scripts, but this is new to me.”

Answer: Movie Magic Screenwriter.

O6untouchable also writes: “On a Movie-related note… you’ve already hinted that an Earth Battlecruiser might crop up in Universe somewhere, but what about the Atlantis and SG-1 movies? Are we going to find out what happened to the Sun Tzu, or see the Apollo and/or Daedalus again? (My girlfriend is particularly eager for more Caldwell!) And what about the Odyssey – will we ever find out what that secret mission was, or was that just an excuse to write her out so that she didn’t kick Hive Ship ass before Atlantis got there?”

Answer: Several of these ships will be making future appearances in the, uh, Stargate franchise.

Major D. Davis writes: “1. Would you like to edit my 5 page script (a script for the FBI files part 2?

2. Can I please send you a link to my best video I made(the script I was telling you about is part two of the FBI files. The link I want to send you is part for part 1)?

3. So there are a few stargate suprises for MGM’s 85th b-day. So what day is MGM’s 85th?

4. How is time going? Almost done?

5. Do you guys have a email address I can email(Instead of physically mailing something)?

6. How is the music and visual effects coming for Air?”

Answers: 1. Thanks but no.

2. Sure.

3. Not sure. Carl knows as he’s ordered the cake.

4. Stage 1 is looking awesome ahead of production. The episode is still in prep.

5. Trust me, you’re better off posting a comment here.

6. Great. Brad and Rob had a spotting session with Joel late last week.

Dovil writes: “I’m bitterly disappointed that Stargate Altantis: Glitter Ponies of Hope didn’t jump the last hurdle to be selected, though a two hour movie on SGA-1’s attempts to save the Spotted Owl from the brink of extinction does somewhat make up for it.”

Answer: Glitter Ponies of Hope was our first choice, but it was already taken for the SG-1 movie.

Georgia writes: “I came across ostrich eggs ($29.99 ea) and Vosges bacon chocolate. Ever try either?”

Answer: Haven’t tried ostrich eggs but have tried the Vosges applewood smoked bacon truffles (which, in my opinion, are better than the bars).

Chevron7 writes: “Joe, can you please give us a hint whether you’ve finished judging the Fans Choice bluray DVD cover contest?”

Answer: Sorry, I don’t even know what that is.

Davidd writes: “So, now that you have joined the Twitter masses, do you think you will ever get a Facebook account again?”

Answer: Correction. My dogs joined the twitter masses. They have no plans to get on Facebook however.

David Blue writes: “You know, in my defense:

I ran into Rob at work and told him about the party. He said he couldn’t go because he was having you over for dinner. So I decided not to tempt you to stand him up because you were so interested in coming to my tiny, small apartment instead.”

Answer: Well I feel doubly bad because I returned your apartment-warming gift on Sunday = a home theater system complete with reclining chairs and big screen. And before you complain that it wouldn’t have fit in your small apartment, you should know that it was the second part of your gift. The first part was an all-expenses paid rental of a mansion in Shaugnessy for the show’s entire run. Oh well.

Ytimyona writes: “Wow, Rob Cooper is truly a man of many talents… writer, director, cook! Is there anything RC can’t do?”

Answer: Brain surgery. At least not yet. We’ll find out for sure tomorrow when he removes Lawren’s basal ganglia.

Quade1 writes: “I heard that SGU Pilot was to air during summer followed by the rest of the season in the fall. Is this still the plan?”

Answer: Sorry, no. That was never the plan.

Recycled Funk writes: “I found this very enlightening blog post by Neil Gaiman, writer of the brilliant Sandman comics, where he discusses the relationship of blogging writers and their fans and the entitlement issues that sometimes develop (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/0...nt-issues.html). I’m not sure if you had come across it as well but I was wondering what your thoughts were on the subject. Since you are so visible on the web, do you think that sometimes fans can feel a little too entitled to your time and the next project, especially when it’s Stargate related?”Answer: I don’t think any fan is going to be pestering me for a release date on that short story – or any non Stargate-related project – anytime soon. Realistically, most of my blog regulars come for the Stargate, but stay for the snark, dog pics, and videos of me sampling strange food products. That said, I certainly do notice a sense of entitlement from certain fans who feel that online interaction should translate into some sort of working relationship. They bitterly complain when their hopes or desires regarding character or story aren’t realized, or adopt the attitude of a petulant child (Hello, Gate world’s Falcon Horus and G.O.D.) sulkily hating on anything and everything because they feel they’ve been personally sleighted by some creative decision made. Maintaining an internet presence has its rewards (as evidenced by the many, many wonderful people who frequent this blog) but it also makes you a convenient target for those terminal grumps seeking an outlet for their pent up aggression. And what better place than the arena of anonymity offered by the worldwide web.

Rachael writes: “ With the changes in the writer’s room in the past few months, I was wondering a) which writers were in the room for spinning the story for the movie, and b) if there were writers there at the time who are no longer on the SG writing team, would their departure affect the storyline at all (eg can’t use their ideas any more)?”

Answer: Back in November, Paul and I spun a general idea of what we wanted the SGA movie to be with Brad and Robert. Then, Paul and I went off and worked on the outline, pitching it back and forth between us until we had a pretty solid template. Paul wrote the first sixty pages and I wrote the last forty, although we did tweak one another’s passes.
                  sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...amakethisfast/

May 20. 2009

Well damn. Looks like I’m on the clock tonight. I forgot my power cord at work meaning I only have as long as my laptop battery lasts to get this entry out. According to the power meter: 45 minutes. So, today in broad strokes:

Stage 4 = Destiny set = Robert Cooper directing the Day #1 of Time.

Air III = Director’s cut = David Blue = Hilarious!

Dailies = Robert Carlyle = Blistering Performance!

Production office = Chat with Jamil Walker Smith = laid back and intense behind the camera, dark and intense in front of the camera.

Prepping Justice = Brad Wright producing/Will Waring directing.

Stargate Extinction = Still unread.

Dinner tonight = Market = Carl’s treat as a thank you for the chocolate party invitation = Rice Cracker Crusted Tuna with Citrus Sriracha Emulsion = Bacon Wrapped Shrimp with Passion Mustard and Avocado = Soy Glazed Short Ribs with Apple-Jalapeno Puree and Rosemary Crumbs = Green Tea Opera Cake.

And…Time!

Mailbag:

DasNdanger writes: “I was referring to the similarities between Shep and Todd (’you’re more like Wraith than you know’), and whether or not that idea is carried over into how the characters are written… are they considered to be doppelgangers – is Todd Sheppard’s ‘twin’ – and if so, is his presence an omen that something bad is going to happen?”

Answer: There is a definite sense that Sheppard and Todd are two sides of the same coin although I can’t really say whether this is foremost in our minds when writing the characters and their relationship. I’ve often said that I’m less a fun of black and white than I am a fan of grey, characters who fall somewhere off-center between good and evil – the broken anti-hero, the charismatic and admirable adversary. In other words, protagonists with a hint of darkness and antagonists with a touch of honor.

Mackenzie’s Momma writes: “So how is Lulu doing any better? The meds working?”

Answer: Lulu is much better. Thanks for asking. She’s over her touch of pneumonia and ever since I’ve started hand-feeding her, she’s stopped her daily vomiting as well.

PB Mom writes: “I tweeted Lexa, when she tweeted that she visited you today, that your dogs were now tweeting and they were hoping to get 1000 followers by the end of the month. She put a link to them in a message she tweeted so I hope the dogs get a jump in followers. Lexa has a LOT of followers.”

Answer: She’s a sweetheart. I’ve always been a big fan.

Luis writes: “I recently watched the episode “FULL Alert” SG-1 The truck That O’Niell is taking the beer out of is that his personnel or a prop???”

Answer: Don’t recall but safe to say it was probably a prop.

Lexa writes: “Oh, and I’m now officially following your dogs on Twitter – they’re far more erudite than you give them credit for.”

Answer: They thank you for your support. Lulu intends to dedicate her first published collection of poetry to you.

Paloosa writes: “Now that there are several episodes under everyone’s belts, are the actors and their characters nuancing where the stories are going?”

Answer: So far, they’ve been pleasantly surprised by the story and character developments.

Wandering Wolf writes: “Could you please settle an argument between a few friends of mine and let us know what episode number Earth is now in SGU?”

Answer: 7.

Shirt ‘n Tie writes: “Keep meaning to ask…Any Summer hols planned?”

Answer: Maybe Montreal for a week.

Michael A. Burstein writes: “Gateway was amazing, I agree. Believe it or not, I’ve never read Camp Concentration.”

Answer: I highly recommend it. One of my top ten favorites.

Karen writes: “So, when Michael was in your office you asked him to do a
                    Q & A and he agreed? Right?”

Answer: I have asked him in the past and he was receptive to the idea, but having recently completed a Q&A for his official site, I think it would be best to wait a while before asking him to do another.

Shirt ‘n Tie also writes: “Had a thought recently, would you ever consider putting a “Classic” on the BOTM selection?”

Answer: I’ve considered it, but I like the Q&A aspect of the book of the month club. It allows established authors to shed light on their work and career and also offers a spotlight opportunity for less well-known writers.

Antisocialbutterflie writes: “ How often do you come up with an idea for a script and find out that someone else has already written a slightly different version of the story?”

Answer: A lot. One of the things I look forward to in my retirement is to never again having to hear the words “Star Trek already did it”.

Ruffles writes: “1. The Stargate movies have identified themselves with the franchise (Stargate: Extinction, Stargate: Continuum) instead of with their specific show (SG-1, Atlantis). Is that an attempt to reach a larger audience?

2. In Outcast, Nancy mentioned a man named Grant. Is he her husband? Any plans for her to appear in the movie?

3. If you could chang one episode of season 5, what would it be and why?”

Answers: 1. Nope. I just think that Stargate: Extinction sounds better than Stargate Atlantis: Extinction. Also, it’s in keeping with the titles of the preceding movies.

2. Don’t recall. I believe he was her boyfriend.

3. No sense in second-guessing yourself. Unless you have a time machine. Uh, you don’t have a time machine, do you?

Matt writes: “1. Is SGU being written like most popular tv shows around now such as 24, Prison Break, Lost, Heroes etc, where each episode ends in a cliffhanger giving us all something to think about with it carrying on or tied into the following episode.

2. When can we expect to see some more promotional and behinds the scenes photography and videos for SGU?”

Answers: 1. It won’t be as arc-driven as the shows mentioned. That said, it will certainly be more arc-driven than the previous two Stargate series. We’re trying to strike a nice balance between the two – a show that develops its characters, their relationships, and an overall story while, at the same time, proving accessible to first-time viewers or those who may only join us several episodes into the season.

2. No idea. This one is a studio and network call.

Haina writes: “Will we be privy to your short story perhaps? Will you be getting it published or something? I love sci-fi short stories. (If you are writing a sci-fi one.)”

Answer: Yes, the story will be published (unless my editor was pulling my leg) in a forthcoming 2010 anthology. It possesses certain SF elements…

Dovil writes: “However, there is of course a difference between expressing this on a personal journal and turning up on your doorstep with a list of demands and holding your dogs hostage. There is a difference between wording something to you as “I was disappointed when…” and “You should, you have to, you must do, x” when it comes to storylines. There is a difference between realising that this might just boil down to the fact that the story being told is no longer the one that a viewer wants to hear and the umbilical cord needs to be cut, and hey, this can be difficult when it’s not just about losing a tv show, it’s about losing the community that surrounds it when you’ve gone off the deep end to be an internet fan.”

Answer: Funny you should post as I was going to use you as an example of a someone who has clearly been unhappy with the direction the show took and expressed their opinion in a take-no-prisoners, snarky and amusing, occasionally way waaaaay wrong, but reasoned manner. I disagree with certain of your arguments but I respect them nonetheless. This is in marked contrast to other individuals whose critiques read like nothing more than negativity for negativity’s sake. It’s like someone has forgotten to switch them off auto-pilot.

Dovil also writes: “I think it also can become problematic when fans reactions obviously DO influence the writing of a show: case in point Carson’s return (or at least I believe that because certain fans became organised and protested, it was a major factor of the character coming back). Sometimes being loud and entitled gets you what you want.”

Answer: You can call Carson’s return more of a “perfect storm” of events. Sure, it was great to see he had much support among fans, but that alone would not have been enough to secure his return.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ic-book-front/

May 21, 2009

Photos: Kerry McDowall, Joe Mallozzi

Today, I bought tickets to Altar Boyz, a musical production that the Arts Club Theatre describes thusly: “ Watch out ‘N Sync, the Altar Boyz are coming to town! Matthew, Mark, Luke, Juan, and Abraham-the gefilte fish out of water-can sing and dance with the best of them, and these heartthrobs want to praise the Lord with funk and rhyme. With lyrics like “Girl, you make me wanna wait” and “Jesus called me on my cell phone” this irreverent (but never mean-spirited) musical-comedy will wash your soul clean with laughter.”

“Why would you want to go see that?”you may ask. “What, did you lose a bet?”

In fact, yes. Yes, I lost a bet to my co-worker Kerry McDowall and now have to take her to a musical theater production of her choice. And she chose this one. I suppose it could have been worse. We could be going to see…um…we could be going to see…No, I guess it couldn’t get much worse.

I made the call this morning as Kerry looked on from her perch atop the armrest of my couch, a self-satisfied smirk on her face. The Wednesday show was sold out, but fortunately (?) Kerry was able to free up her Monday so I booked tickets for that night.

“You’ve got great seats,”the woman at the other end of the phone assured me. “By the way, how did you hear about us?”

“A – uh – friend – ”I glared over at a delighted Kerry, “ – read about it online.”

“Well great,”said the woman. “You are in for a treat.”

“Looking forward to it,”I croaked and immediately clicked off.

“We should grab something to eat before the show,”Kerry suggested.

I suggested we could meet up somewhere for dinner, then take separate cars to the show – but Kerry immediately shot down the idea. She didn’t want me “getting lost” or experiencing “car trouble”. We would take one car and eat on Granville Island where the show was taking place.

“Is there anything good on Granville Island?”I asked.

“Not any musical theater, that‘s for sure,”quipped Lawren.

Apparently, the show is two hours long. TWO HOURS! That strikes me as a little excessive. The last theatrical production I attended was done inside of an hour! Of course, the show in question was my elementary school production of Tom Sawyer, but I think we can all learn from those sixth graders. Short is sweet!

Today, the onset action shifted from Destiny to the jungles of Stage 1. A mighty heavy day but nothing compared to tomorrow when the skies will open up (or, more accurately, we’ll MAKE the skies open up) to douse our actors in a torrential downpour. Ivon pointed out that when the rain starts, the temperature in that stage drops by about ten degrees. It’s going to get a tad chilly so all of the actors have been fitted with wet suits. For his part, however, actor Jamil Walker Smith is actually looking forward to it, genuinely excited at the prospect of battling the elements. I kid you not. This guy is hardcore!

Got a call from our agent today. He reports that our pilot script for the comic book concept was well-received. One more call with the company president to pitch out where we see the series going and, if he likes what he have to say, we can start planning our first multi-issue arc.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...ually-rolling/

May 22, 2009

Photos: Re: Environmental Conditions in Stage 1, Carl Binder, Rob Cooper, Chadwick, CHadwick's birthday cake, Peter Kelamis (Adam Brody), Patrick Gilmore (Dale Volker), Mark Burgess (Franklin), Jennifer Spence (Lisa Park), Nancy Ha, Camo rain gear, Goodies, Josh Blacker (Sgt. Spencer), Joe's pal Fix

Well, it was beautiful, sunny and warm outdoors today, but overcast, dark, and rainy indoors. Specifically, I refer to the indoors of Stage 1 where Writer/Executive Producer/Series Creator/Master Chef Robert C. Cooper was directing Mayhem Day on the latest Stargate: Universe episode – Time.

Carl and I visited set after lunch, arriving just in time for the most important part of the production = the crucial standing around waiting to set up the next shot portion of the process. I acquitted myself nicely, standing around with the best of them (I feel the need to point out, however, that Carl did a lot of sitting). Eventually, Carl and I grew weary and headed back up to the offices, determined to return for the big action sequence.

Back up in the office, I wished Chad in the Production Offices a happy birthday. He insists that Chad isn‘t short for anything, but I find that hard to believe. Anyway, Chad (or Chadwick as I’m going to start calling him because I have a hard time believing Chad isn’t short for something and suspect Chadwick is more probable than Carl’s suggestion: Chaddington) celebrated his special day with some boozy cake and a spirited rendition of Happy Birthday from the gang (in particular the gals from accounting who are never far whenever cake is involved). He looked genuinely embarrassed by all the fuss, so I yelled “Speech! Speech!”, lending immeasurably to the awkwardness of the moment.

Carl and I headed back down and I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in the jungles of Stage 1, snapping TONS of pics – which, of course, I can’t show you. You’ll just have to take my word for it: they’re very cool. Or contact the studio and the network and ask them: What’s the hold up?

I eventually made my way back up to the offices and where I chatted with Brad about episodes 18, 19, and 20. He and Rob have some fantastic notions for the stretch run that promise to cap off SGU’s first season with a bang! And plenty of surprises.

Today’s blog entry is dedicated to belated birthday gal Sheryl.
                        sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...-some-mailbag/

May 23, 2009

So American Idol crowned yet another champion the other day and the question that immediately comes to mind is “Does it really matter?”. As a showcase for undiscovered talent, American Idol offers great opportunity to all of its featured contestants, but its debatable whether that last man (or woman) standing is truly any better off for having won the whole thing. Or are they? And if so, did America get it right?

Well, here’s a breakdown of American Idol album sales (not including compilations, EP’s, or pre-Idol albums) comparing the past season winners with the also-rans (Source: Scribd.com, Updated as of May 13, 2009). It would seem that, every so often, America can get it wrong -

Season 1
                          Winner: Kelly Clarkson = 10 131 236 (4 albums)
                          Runner Up: Justin Guarini = 143 000 (1 album)

Season 2
                          Runner Up: Clay Aiken = 4 839 000 (4 albums)
                          Winner: Ruben Stoddard = 2 484 000 (3 albums)

Season 3
                          Winner: Fantasia Barrino = 2 289 000 (2 albums)
                          Top 7 Finish: Jennifer Hudson = 726 293 (1 album) + 1 Oscar
                          Runner Up: Diana DeGarmo = 168 000 (1 album)

Season 4
                          Winner: Carrie Underwood = 9 573 618 (2 albums)
                          Runner Up: Bo Bice = 734 000 (2 albums)

Season 5
                          Top 4 Finish: Chris Daughtry = 4 437 029 (1 album)
                          Top 6 Finish: Kellie Pickler = 1 013 375 (2 albums)
                          Winner: Taylor Hicks = 734 617 (3 albums)
                          Top 3 Finisher: Elliot Yamin = 645 559 (4 albums)
                          Top 8 Finish: Bucky Covington =403 000 (1 album)
                          Runner Up: Katherine McGhee = 376 000 (1 album)

Season 6
                          Winner: Jordin Sparks = 1 004 000 (1 album)
                          Runner Up: Blake Lewis = 305 000 (1 album)

Season 7
                          Winner: David Cook = 1 125 933 (1 album)
                          Runner Up: David Archuleta = 698 936 (1 album)

Hey, writer-producer Martin Gero (formerly of Stargate, presently of HBO’s Bored to Death) gave me a call this afternoon. He’s having a great time tearing it up in New York but is nevertheless looking forward to coming by for a lengthy visit in July. First stop = Fuel, of course where, as my wingman, he’ll be joining me in a celebratory welcome back dinner that will no doubt see him laid up for weeks.

What’s in the news:

This is touching. In China, a bystander breaks through a police cordon to help a man contemplating suicide: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090523/...a_suicide_help
                          I can just imagine the local Suicide Help Line organization realizing, to their horror, that this guy has been a volunteer in their organization for going on six months. Hmmm, suddenly that unbelievably low recividism rate doesn’t look so great.

You’ve been dropping hints about that new car for weeks and your significant other still hasn’t taken the bait. What to do? What to do? Hey, I know! Take a trip to your local dealer, hop into the car of your choice, then drive around the showroom until he/she agrees to buy it for you: http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...rpc=22&sp=true

Hey, the bank mistakenly deposited six million dollars into your account. What do you do? Yeah, thought so: http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...rpc=22&sp=true
                          See you in Vegas, baby!

I should get one of these for my place to help ensure any dinner parties I may host wrap up at a reaonsable hour. “Yeah, I think we’re gonna get going. It’s getting late. And my ears are bleeding.”: http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...rpc=22&sp=true

Mailbag -

PG15 writes: “How do freelance writers pitch for a new show when only the existing writers know the details of what the show is about? Or do these freelancers receive detailed info on the show before they get to pitch?”

Answer: When a freelancer is invited to pitch, they are sent supporting materials (scripts written to date and synopses of upcoming storylines) to acquaint themselves with the series and its characters. They’re encouraged to call with any questions. Otherwise, that’s pretty much it.

Chervon7 writes: “What have the dogs been up to lately? I’ve always wondered this, can they all jump up on the bed on their own?”

Answer: Lulu is a powerhouse and has no trouble jumping up onto the bed. Bubba makes it about half the time. Jelly and Maximus don’t even bother trying.

Tammy Dixon writes: “Glad Lulu is feeling better. How is Jelly doing?”

Answer: The old gal is still getting along – and as scrappy as ever. Yesterday, she got into a fight with Lulu over a dog treat.

Rose writes: “Just curious – why so few actors on the commentaries for SGA DVDs? Only Jason this year and damn few last year as I remember. Any reason that you can point to?
                          Best,
                          Rose
                          PS. Miss me?”

Answer: It comes down to availability and a willingness to participate. Whether its actors, directors, writers, or producers – some don’t have the time while others just aren’t interested. Jason took part in the Broken Ties commentary because the episode was very important to him. And, yes, I did miss you. I’m glad you checked in. I was about to organize I search party.

PG15 also writes: “Questions :

1. Marty G. just twittered that he’s “working on episode 115? of SGU. Is he writing it?
                          2. What episode number is “Divided”?
                          3. What episode number is “Faith”?
                          4. Is “Darkness” episode 16 or 17?”

Answers: 1. Yep. Marty G. is working on the outline and having a lot of fun with this particular story. Can’t wait to read it.
                          2. 12 I believe.
                          3. 13 I believe.
                          4. Neither.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

May 24, 2009

Heard word back on the Stargate Atlantis movie script from two fronts – creative and business – and both responses were overwhelmingly positive. Some confusion (not surprised given the complexity of the story), so we’ll make a point to streamline and clarify in the next draft. Some great preliminary notes from Carl who missed two reunion scenes (looking over the script, I tend to agree) and likes the idea of including a quiet scene for “these two characters”, even going so far as to pitch out a version I liked a lot. Also received a casting suggestion that would turf the unknown Koenig in favor of someone a little more familiar. Discussions on the brass tacks of the production upcoming in June and with it, I’m hoping, finally, production dates.

Today, I took about an hour to jot down my ideas for that SF show we’ll (hopefully) be dong as a comic book series: our theme, moral conflict, major arcs, character breakdowns, and even how I envision the series, and our characters, ending. We’ll be pitching our vision later this week and I’m feeling very good about the project itself and its chances for success.

Back in the jungles of Stage 1 tomorrow…

Today’s entry is dedicated to birthday gal Chevron 7.

Mailbag:

Goliath writes: “So Marty G. is writing more episodes of SGU than you? I thought you were the staff writer? Is he technically a “freelancer” now? I don’t understand all the differences here.”

Answer: When all is said and done, Martin and I will end up writing the same number of scripts: 2. Before the season kicked off, we all gathered together and spun the first ten(ish episodes). He landed an early episode. I landed a later episode. Since his episode was earlier in the schedule, he got his in first and, as a result, was given a story idea that Exec. Producer Rob Cooper had pitched out. I finished my episode, Space, which was much later in the schedule, then switched gears to work on the Stargate Atlantis movie. With that done, I spent some time pitching out some ideas that didn’t really go anywhere but it looks like I’ll be writing episode 19 that Exec. Producer Brad Wright had a terrific idea for the other day.

PG15 also writes: “So, theoretically I can hire an agent, try to get invited to a pitch as an innocent freelancer, be successful at getting invited (somehow), receive all the up-to-date info on SGU, leave the country to hide from the authorities, and then spread the info across the Internet at my undisclosed, foreign location?”

Answer: Theoretically, yes.

PG15 also writes: “Your answer to my second question aides me on my quest to piece together Season 1 of SGU; it is a great quest, full of peril, danger, and inconvenience. […]

Anyways, everything up to “Faith”, 113, seems clear cut except for the maelstrom that is Fire vs. Water vs. new episode. […] But wait! There’s more! You said that Peter DeLuise was directing Darkness and Light! But the only episode he directed this year, so far, was Fire! […] In addition, one of the actors recently twittered that they were shooting some extra scenes (or the last scenes) for…wait for it…FIYAH!! […] Episode 13 is Faith, episode 14 is unknown, and episode 15 belongs to Marty G. You just denied Darkness being episodes 16 nor 17, which means that Darkness can only be episodes 18, 19, or 20, while Light can be those episodes, as well as episode 17. […] Thus, only one thing makes sense:

Fire, being so over the time limit, was split into 2 episodes. Those 2 episodes were renamed Darkness and Light.

Question: Am I right?”

Answer: Yes, you are. Congratulations, Columbo.

StellaByStargate writes: “I’ve noticed when deleted scenes are included on a DVD that they are often low in visual quality. While I understand why visual and sound effects may be missing, I’m always baffled by the grainy and dark quality of the scenes, as I assume they were shot with the intention of being included in the episode/movie.”

Answer: True but deleted scenes are rarely completed. They usually aren’t color-corrected and the visual effects are incomplete.

Airelle writes: “When you go to Fuel, (you) do you make a reservation, or can they usually seat you.?”

Answer: I call ahead and play it safe. When Martin comes back in June, we’ll definitely call ahead. As Martin pointed out, he wants to give the gang as much time as possible to prepare.

Rose writes: “- will there be a romantic scene for teyla and john in the movie?

- will there be scenes on earth and in US-towns?”

Answers: 1. As I responded to similar questions in the past, it’s very tough to have a romantic scene with John and Teyla so long as Kanaan is around. Are you suggesting he watch the baby while his wife goes out on a date? Maybe they’re Athosian swingers?

2. There will be scenes on Earth.

JoanieC writes: “ For instance when you are writing ( script/story) do you know the ending before you write the beginning?”

Answer: Always. Here at Stargate, we have the entire episode mapped out (outlines detailing each scene and beats within each scene) before we sit down to write the script. All of the writers take part in the “breaking” of each episode. In the case of the short story I just finished, I knew what the general story would be, I knew the opening scene, and I knew the final scene – it was just a matter of winding my way toward that final goal. Along the way, the pieces fell into place.

Trekkiegirlt writes: “One re-occuring theme that I don’t know how to take: Justin Timberlake.”

Answer: Lulu finds him “dreamy”.

Deeinsouthafrica writes: “Somehow I knew that Kris was going to get the title – Cute ex-missionary type vs. a sexual enigma from Hollywood wearing eyeliner?”

Answer: Yep, I saw it coming as well. Even though Adam was the significantly better singer.

Major D. Davis writes: “If O’neill died in one of the loops in the episode of Window Of Opportunity, what would happen? When the loop started again would he come back to life?”

Answer: Yep.

Thornyrose writes: “The links are appreciated, and I can hardly wait for Tuesday’s posting. Figure you’ll slide in a predone book review Monday, and then let us know how your experience was at the musical. Do have fun…”

Answer: Don’t hold your breath! We’re not going to see the show until some time in June.

Sarah Lee writes: “It’s my 20th birthday tomorrow! Can you give a shout out on your blog please?”

Answer: Sure thing. Just remind me tomorrow.
                            sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...athan-carroll/

May 25, 2009

Photo: The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll

Going into this book, I had no idea what to expect. I selected it on the basis of several strong recommendations and a rather whimsical cover depicting an anthropomorphic kite and a six armed creature eating ice cream on a front porch while some malevolent-looking fellow glares out at them from inside the house. Going on the aforementioned, I anticipated some weird and wonderful Alice in Wonderland-like narrative, a gentle Young Adult adventure I could digest like buttered popcorn – light, pleasing, yet ultimately inconsequential.

How wrong I was. Imagine discovering that popcorn is actually caramel coated. And then discovering that nestled alongside each kernel is the tiniest of habanero peppers. And THEN, once you’ve almost finished eating, discovering the fist your neighbor has slipped in through the bottom of the popcorn bag that suddenly spring up and cold cocks you in the face. It’s sort of like that. Except with talking bull terriers.

English teacher Thomas Abbey leads a fairly banal existence, living in the shadow of his famous father, a legend of the silver screen. Then, one day, he decides to change things up. Inspired by the books he loved so much as a kid, he sets out to write the definitive biography of famed children’s author Marshall France. His publisher warns him that the going may be tough, however, given that the last guy to visit France’s hometown received a less than cordial welcome from the townsfolk in general and the late author’s niece, Anna France, in particular. Undaunted, Thomas journeys to the modest community of Galen, Missouri accompanied by his lover, research assistant, and marionette collector Saxony Gardner, an equally avid France fan.

Once there, they meet with Anna who, contrary to expectations, proves surprisingly friendly and immediately warms to the idea of a biography based on the life and career of her father. Thomas begins work on the book and, eventually, romance blossoms between him and Anna.

But as he struggles to juggle research, writing, and two relationships, Thomas begins to suspect that something is a little off about the community. Something is up…but he can’t quite put his finger on it. Maybe it’s the way many of the townsfolk are anxiously following his progress. Or the downright bizarre reactions to the accidental death of a local boy. Or the fact that he just caught his landlady’s bull terrier talking to himself…

What starts off as a quiet and comical little story takes a turn into Twilight Zone-terrain, then winds its way into a weird magical Wonderland before careening headlong into dark and twisted territory. And yet throughout the wild ride, The Land of Laughs proves incredibly engaging, one of those rare books that draws you in and keeps you reading – and reading – and reading – until you realize it‘s ticking past two a.m. and you have to wake up early for work tomorrow. It boasts unique, well-defined characters and some terrific dialogue, in a shifting narrative that undermines any hope of second-guesses.

At the heart of the story is this notion of an innate ability to control one’s environment. When we first meet Thomas he is a victim of circumstance, a man with little if any control over a life buffeted and bundled by elements seemingly beyond his control. And then, after years of living on auto-pilot, allowing himself to be defined by who his father was, he decides enough is enough and opts to take charge of his life. Despite his publisher’s attempt to warn him off, he forges ahead with the planned biography, developing a relationship with, curiously enough, a woman who collects puppets. In time, he forms a relationship with another woman who, in her own way, collects puppets as well – Thomas, as he eventually discovers, being her latest strung-along acquisition. But in discovering the town’s secret – that its inhabitants are the manifestations of a late, great author – Thomas discovers a power existing within himself. It’s a power he uses to save the town – and, at book’s end, himself.

Lots to love and lots to discuss. I’ve weighed in with my initial thoughts and would love to hear what everyone else thought. Let’s see those comments – and questions for author Jonathan Carroll.

A Memorial Day dedication to all of the men and women serving in our armed forces.

Mailbag:

Sandra writes: “I was watching “Bounty,” and I noticed several campaign posters on the walls of the high school recommending Peter DeLuise and Damian Kindler for class officers. Were you running for Homecoming King?”

Answer: I was running for President of the Dungeons and Dragons Club. I lost to Carl Binder, a.k.a. elf druid Morgo, wielding his magic cudgel.

Cat4444 writes: “So which one of the pups posted this Tweet? The post doesn’t say.

stargateeggstinction

They’re really learning to type well. Are you tutoring them or are they just naturals?”

Answer: No, it’s all them. And, ooooooh, look closer. There are a couple of words in there you missed.

Dana writes: “Since when has Teyla become Kanaan’s wife?”

Answer: Didn’t you watch the very special wedding episode? Sheppard gives the bride away. No? Hmmm. Maybe that scene didn’t make the final cut. Okay, in that case, I guess it’s not canon and, at the end of the day, Teyla has yet to make an honest man of Kanaan. Maybe in the movie…a big Teyla-Kanaan/McKay-Keller Weddding! Who’s with me?!!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

SciFan writes: “When did Kanaan and Teyla get married?”

Answer: As stated above, they’re not married (yet?). She was holding off in the hopes that something better would come along. Like, say, someone capable of holding down a steady job.

E writes: “Have Brad and Carl shared any updates on SG-1 movie?”

Answer: Not a one. And that’s just as well. I want to be surprised like everyone else when the movie finally comes out.

Trish writes: “I may or may not have entered your dogs into the Mr. Twitterverse competition. Depending on how you feel about it, that is.”

Answer: The dogs thank you. Also, Lulu chews your shoe into a gummy mass.

AnneTeldy writes: “Can you tell us which role he was offered in which episode so we GV-fans can try to imagine him in it?”

Answer: Nope, sorry. I don’t think that would be fair to the actor we did cast.

AnneTeldy also writes: “Mr. M, you said you got my letter and added “I’m on it”. Status update, please? Soon?”

Answer: Soon.

Michelle writes: “ So will there be romance at all in the movie? You don’t have to say between whom. We’ll all make ridiculous assumptions and outrageous demands anyway. Eg, please no McKeller! hee hee”

Answer: Well, now that you mention it, some romance, yes.

Agent_xsley writes: “My question is, has Weir’s story been completed or will we ever see that character again in the movies?”

Answer: Weir’s story ended in Ghost in the Machine. The character will not be appearing in the movie.

DasNdanger writes: “So, are the masked Wraith warriors capable of independent thought, or are they totally under the mind control of the more advanced Wraith? And are they completely sentient, or is that debatable?”

Answer: It’s debatable (insofar as we never actually sat down and decided one way or another) but given the way the conversations in the room went, it’s safe to say that the warriors are on the dimmer end of the wraith intellectual spectrum. They are controlled by verbal command and occasional mental prodding.

Major D. Davis writes: “Are we cool or are you in any way irritated or mad at me?”

Answer: No, no. We’re cool. Especially me. Need proof? I wear sunglasses indoors!

Drldeboer writes: “I’m sad to say it’s also a personal memorial day, my mom passed this weekend after a long illness with bone cancer.”

Answer: Condolences, Donna. Hope you draw some comfort from knowing you’re in the thoughts of many of this blog’s regulars.
                              sigpic

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/

May 26, 2009

Photo: Naomi and Michael A. Burstein (photo by Ari Baronofsky)

When it comes to making a selection for our Book of the Month Club discussions, I like to take several things into consideration: recommendations, reviews, an intriguing premise, and, of course, whether or not the author is a Stargate fan. Well, when I learned that author Michael A. Burstein was an avid follower of the Stargate franchise, I was delighted to pick his book, I Remember the Future, for a May discussion. Michael is not only an established SF writer and fan of the show, but a blog regular as well and so it gives me great pleasure to turn today’s entry over to him.

**snip**

Today’s mailbag:

DasNdanger writes: “Anyhoo…thanks much for the Wraithy answer. So…if these masked soldiers aren’t the brightest chevrons on the stargate, could they be an acceptable alternative food source, since Wraith have been known to feed on their own kind anyway??”

Answer: A fellow wraith would certainly do in a pinch (see The Defiant One) but humans are much easier to harvest and, frankly, much tastier.

Dovil writes: “If the movie doesn’t end up them all getting married (don’t forget Ronon/Amelia, John/Sockpuppet on Right Hand), while Hive ships blow up in the distance showering them with fireworks, I’ll be bitterly disappointed. Caldwell can preceed over the ceremony, Radek can be the caterer, and Lorne can trundle up the aisle bearing the rings. Then the Replicators can beam down and lead the drunken robot dancing at the reception.”

Answer: Great! You will, of course, receive ¼ the story fee in addition to fully half the blame if 100% of the audience doesn’t love it (which, quite frankly, rarely every happens so no need to worry).

Luis writes: “Mr. M I see you are still baby sitting Brie…does he harrass the other dogs???”

Answer: Brie is a she. And she only harasses Lulu – who harrasses her back.

Cat4444 writes: “Also, can we expect more spoilers from the pups on the SGA movie?”

Answer: Probably.

Nadine writes: “Not sure if I missed it, but have you seen Star Trek yet? If so, did you like it? If not, any plans to see it?”

Answer: I don’t go to see movies anymore. I’ll probably pick up the dvd.

SebiMeyer writes: “Will the SGA and SG1 movie look like the SG we know, or more like the SGU we will come to love?”

Answer: The SGA movie will remain visually and narratively true to the series.

SebiMeyer writes: “How is the writing staff liking the more character based approach? Personally I’d venture the guess that it is “easier” to have stories inspire other stories based on character developments rather than having to come up with a “alien X is totally going to kick our ass untill we turn it around last minute” stories of the week. Am I right in assuming that this kind of fatigue was reason why the writers (yourself included) wanted to shake it up up a bit?”

Answer: I don’t think there was any fatigue involved. After all, Brad and Robert stepped away from the day-to-day production of Atlantis. They were well-rested, creatively buzzing, and eager to spin the franchise off in a new direction. As for the more character-based approach – love it.

Miz writes: “ Why does there need to be romance in the SGA movie at all? Isn’t this a sci-fi adventure series? You know, action, drama, tension, hijinks, all awesome – but kissing and cooing?”

Answer: Who said anything about kissing and cooing? The movie will be action-driven.

Shannon writes: “The previous question about Weir left me wondering – do you think the robot Weir is awake while floating through space or did she shut down?”

Answer: Her system – and the systems of her fellow replictors – have shut down. However, if anyone is foolish enough to mount a recovery and then attempt to awake them, they’d be asking for trouble.

Venya writes: “Does Sheppard’s infatuation with Teyla have anything to do with his ex-wife?”

Answer: Sheppard is infatuated with Teyla?

Nadine writes: “Did you check out any of the other pics?”

Answer: Adorable. If we lived on a farm, we’d not doubt have an English bulldog as well.

Quade1 writes: “Joe you always talk about how great the actors/crew are to work with. Would you say working on the show made the people so great, or that the people working on the show made it great?”

Answer: The people were great to begin with and that made working with them something to look forward to. Trust me, there’s no worse feeling than waking up in the morning knowing you’ll be putting up with some jerk blowhard for the greater part of the day.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X