Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Brian; I, too, think that Atlantis performed well. Unfortunately, it just wasn't well enough, I guess.
    Then they should cancel Sanctuary, Destination Truth, Scare Tactics, Chase, Estate of Panic, Ghost Hunter's international, Ghost Hunters, and Eureka, since all of them could perform better. See, I know people assume that all these shows are much cheaper than SGA to air on SCI FI. But how much does SGA really cost SCI FI? Maybe not as much as people think. Maybe it's because SGA costs MGM much more than it does for SCI FI, and MGM feels a new cheaper show could make them more revenue even if it "performs" similar to what SGA did. That is likely how they sold SCI FI to agree with them in ending SGA and greenlighting SGU.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
      While, I'm glad he took the time to answer so many questions, I don't think he was very nice or respectful to the many fans who were upset by the cancellation of Atlantis. He could have handled it in a "kinder, gentler" fashion, I guess...
      But if you are a Jack fan, I think you will be happy.
      Vala fans, not so much.
      While I do think that BW should have used this opportunity as a chance to acknowledge the feelings of the die-hard fans and to smooth some ruffled feathers, I can completely understand his reaction. Because some of those questions were downright rude and childish. So if I had been in BW's place, I probably wouldn't have been any "kinder or gentler" than he was.

Yes, there were several things he said that made me quite upset (to the point where I'm not sure if I want to spend my money on the third SG-1 movie), but that Q&A was pretty nasty. So, I can understand his sarcastic attitude, even if I don't think it was the best approach for him to take.

On the other hand, did they really have to include all those questions blaming him for "betraying the fans" by canceling Atlantis and calling Universe a crappy show? There's not really a diplomatic way to answer that. I think they should have eliminated some of those questions (not all, just some, since he was basically providing the same answers over and over) and then focused more on mending fences with the fans.

And I don't want to argue about rating numbers, but I got the impression that he was talking about a HUGE increase in the ratings. Basically I thought he was saying that if there had been a major increase and Atlantis had suddenly become a real competitor with network TV, then there would have been a season 6 (and 7 and...). But anything short of that wouldn't have been enough.
      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        Hmm, would have to say the same. I like Q&As that actually have answers
        Unfortunately we know this dance. I preferred to sit it out, I would have asked him about the lack of original ideas, the lack of new blood and the whole gay thing but you know... why bother they don't answer they dance around.

Ha! So do they really think SGU is going to get more then SGA got? I mean really? I think the only reason SGA got over 4.0 in the first season was due to the spin-off thing being a "new" concept in Stargate, also the openers had Jack and Danny

It seems to me like SGU will be lucky to get the same ratings as SGA. Scifi Channel has changed and so have a lot of its viewers, I don't think they watch scifi anymore do they? I mean maybe the channel just doesn't have that many scifi fans watching anymore so no show with scifi elements can get big ratings.

What were BSG ratings like? Eureka?

Also Brad implies (well he says) "mainstream" means lots of people watching? Is he is talking about SciFi Channel not network? He must mean he needs SGU to pull a 3.5-4.0 on SciFi.

I can't see Robert C pulling thoughs numbers so either the rest of the cast will have to be very pretty and nekkid OR they (and SciFi/MGM) are delusional!

Also he rules out any actors from the other series turning up? OK... I wasn't a fan of SG-1 on SGA, but yeah this will go down well with fans of SGA. Not.

*goes back to waiting for the announcement of the new Doctor*

Comment

So, by shutting SGA down and not giving us a 6th season the actors contracts were NOT broken cause they are going to be in the SGA MOVIE??

huh?
          Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
            Also he rules out any actors from the other series turning up?
            Nope. Considering that he said "maybe" to the question of whether an SG1 character might show up in the pilot, I'm guessing that particular answer you're refering to is regarding the permanent use of SG1/SGA cast members in the cast of SGU.

There's always been talk of crossovers and guest-stars; in fact, it's one of the problems some fans have with the new show. Typical.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Nope. Considering that he said "maybe" to the question of whether an SG1 character might show up in the pilot, I'm guessing that particular answer you're refering to is regarding the permanent use of SG1/SGA cast members in the cast of SGU.

There's always been talk of crossovers and guest-stars; in fact, it's one of the problems some fans have with the new show. Typical.
              I was actually meaning SGA characters. I definitely do not want SG-1 characters on the show as they are every bloody where. I would watch if David was on SGU, I would have to it is in my contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post

Ha! So do they really think SGU is going to get more then SGA got? I mean really? I think the only reason SGA got over 4.0 in the first season was due to the spin-off thing being a "new" concept in Stargate, also the openers had Jack and Danny

It seems to me like SGU will be lucky to get the same ratings as SGA. Scifi Channel has changed and so have a lot of its viewers, I don't think they watch scifi anymore do they? I mean maybe the channel just doesn't have that many scifi fans watching anymore so no show with scifi elements can get big ratings.

What were BSG ratings like? Eureka?

Also Brad implies (well he says) "mainstream" means lots of people watching? Is he is talking about SciFi Channel not network? He must mean he needs SGU to pull a 3.5-4.0 on SciFi.

I can't see Robert C pulling thoughs numbers so either the rest of the cast will have to be very pretty and nekkid OR they (and SciFi/MGM) are delusional!

Also he rules out any actors from the other series turning up? OK... I wasn't a fan of SG-1 on SGA, but yeah this will go down well with fans of SGA. Not.

*goes back to waiting for the announcement of the new Doctor*
                That was one of the most brilliant posts you have made here. You hit the nail on the head. SGU with these times and the age of DVR may not perform too much better than SGA. I see a couple of strong eps then it falling to like a 1.4 to 1.5 Average. SGA and SG-1 never got 3.0+ except SGA once for their premiere. The top show of the network is getting like a 2.1, which is Eureka.

To answer your question BSG and SGA's ratings were pretty similar. Maybe within 100,000 viewers?

Look at Sanctuary, I love the show, but it went from a 2.2 to a 1.2 within like 8 eps. Yet, SCI FI says the show is a hit. What is SGA which performs close numbers to Sanctuary? A flop?
                sigpic

Comment

Well, if they allow SG1 characters, they'll allow SGA characters. Or at least McKay and/or Woolsey.

Whoever's useful and/or available.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                    January 2, 2008 - Part 4

Libkat writes: “Rumors persist that you aren’t a big fan of Vala as a character. Will Claudia Black continue to have a place in the SG1 movie universe? I adore the way Vala kept the snarky side of Daniel Jackson alive after RDA left the show and CB and MS have terrific chemistry.”

BW: I thought Claudia was terrific in Continuum, but Vala won’t be returning in the third movie.
                    No Vala???? Why??? C'mon.....Brad Wright....Daniel needs Vala. Please.....please.....put Vala in the third SG1 movie.
                    sigpic
                    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post

Look at Sanctuary, I love the show, but it went from a 2.2 to a 1.2 within like 8 eps. Yet, SCI FI says the show is a hit. What is SGA which performs close numbers to Sanctuary? A flop?

That is a bit unfair to Sanctuary. the last episode just got a 1.4 again, and it only has had one 1.2 rating so far, versus 1.6s, 1.5s, and 1.4s with a boost in DVR for every episode that is quite impressive.

But I do agree that SGA is not a flop. It has done well for 5 years. Obviously a number of factors went into its cancellation.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                        That is a bit unfair to Sanctuary. the last episode just got a 1.4 again, and it only has had one 1.2 rating so far, versus 1.6s, 1.5s, and 1.4s with a boost in DVR for every episode that is quite impressive.

But I do agree that SGA is not a flop. It has done well for 5 years. Obviously a number of factors went into its cancellation.
                        Sorry Chocdoc, I did not mean to make Sanctuary look bad, just trying to make a point about ratings. I am still very pissed off with how the whole thing went down. With the series finale being next week, it hurts more than ever. ESPECIALLY, after reading this Q&A.

You are using that word DVR. Almost every show on SCI FI has been effected by it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          Sorry Chocdoc, I did not mean to make Sanctuary look bad, just trying to make a point about ratings. I am still very pissed off with how the whole thing went down. With the series finale being next week, it hurts more than ever. ESPECIALLY, after reading this Q&A.

You are using that word DVR. Almost every show on SCI FI has been effected by it.

I understand that you are upset about this. Sorry that SGA is ending. It seems a bit unreal. I'm hoping that the first SGA movie is successful, so that we will get more in the future. (and the same for SG-1's third movie).

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                            I understand that you are upset about this. Sorry that SGA is ending. It seems a bit unreal. I'm hoping that the first SGA movie is successful, so that we will get more in the future. (and the same for SG-1's third movie).
                            I just watched Sanctuary's ep, it was excellent , so at least that show is still going on and not getting the boot.

I still have doubts about SGU, even with Carlyle on board.
                            sigpic

Comment

I wonder what type of rating he is expecting to get with the new show?

If the current ratings of SGA is not "brilliant" enough, and if the new show gets the same rating, will he decide to agree with the creative call to cancel SGU and move it to movie format?

sig by Varda

Comment

Originally posted by ed263 View Post
                                I wonder what type of rating he is expecting to get with the new show?

If the current ratings of SGA is not "brilliant" enough, and if the new show gets the same rating, will he decide to agree with the creative call to cancel SGU and move it to movie format?
                                Part of me is hoping SGU's numbers are "not" stellar. Just to prove a point.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X