Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
    They can't say officially that Beckett will return until Kindred will be aired.
    Very true. THere's the slim chance Skiffy will make the announcement about Beckett's return a week or so before said episode appears, or they'll blow it all in spoiler-ridden ads. They're expert at that now

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
      Very true. THere's the slim chance Skiffy will make the announcement about Beckett's return a week or so before said episode appears, or they'll blow it all in spoiler-ridden ads. They're expert at that now
      Spoiler:
      Didn't they already do that in the S4 promos?
      1-800-Iluv-JandT
      sig by Sci!

Toll Free..Available 24 HRS...Remember..It can never be too much..

Comment

Originally posted by Elflinn View Post
        Spoiler:
        Didn't they already do that in the S4 promos?
        Ah hem..

"What took you so long"

Case Closed!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          Ah hem..

"What took you so long"

Case Closed!
          It's like a Monday for me today...
          1-800-Iluv-JandT
          sig by Sci!

Toll Free..Available 24 HRS...Remember..It can never be too much..

Comment

Very true. THere's the slim chance Skiffy will make the announcement about Beckett's return a week or so before said episode appears, or they'll blow it all in spoiler-ridden ads. They're expert at that now.
            It's a marketing dilemma. If Beckett's return is something that would get the ratings up by bringing back lapsed viewers, you might want to get the word out and let them know.

Anything vague would probably not work on lapsed viewers.

Comment

I think they won't wait until March to tell us who will return in how many episodes. : finger crossed for Daniel, Elizabeth and Carson :
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

JANUARY 10

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...d-the-mailbag/

Watched the Day One Mix of The Last Man, our season 4 finale. Great, great episode - and one that will surely have fans pulling their hair out when those final credits roll. Hopefully, they won’t have to wait too long for the season 5 premiere - or there could be a riot. I love these types of time travel episodes in which the ultimate fate of our beloved characters are foretold - some telling, others tragic, all touching. The last few episodes of season four should come with a 3-hanky alert.

Today’s mailbag:

Deena writes: “I heard that Claudia Black had only filmed for like a week for Continuum…so are we going to get any quality screen time with Vala (or Qetesh)? Any chance for some juicy moments for her?”

Answer: That’s all a matter of personal interpretation. I think she’s got some great, juicy scenes in Continuum.

PG15 writes: “Well, the original poster listed the following as “magical new technology [that] appear[s] out of the blue” (his words): the time travel puddle jumper, the Hyperspace puddle jumper, Replicator-maker, Asguard beam weapons, Yet another 304 battleship…”

Answer: Okay, first of all, if someone is going to criticize us for using a Deus Ex Machina to solve a problem, they should at the very least know what a Deus Ex Machina is. In ancient Greek drama, the Deus Ex Machina referred to the timely appearance of a god to resolve the play’s conflict. Today, it generally refers to a completely out-of-left-field plot device, unrelated to the ongoing action, that comes in out of nowhere to settle the story. So, for instance, feel free to criticize the ending of Ex Deus Machina, but since Mitchell is active in coming up with the solution to use our established technology (the ship and its beaming technology) to beam the building into space before the explosion, you can’t call it a Deus Ex Machina. Secondly, with regard to the criticism that there’s too much techno babble in the show - we’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t. In BAMSR, we could have just had McKay say something like “Hey, instead of dialing up the anti-replicator thing to break them apart, we can dial it down to have them squeeze together REAAAALLY tight.” - and would have been summarily raked over the coals for having our resident genius scientist sound like an simpleton. Yeah, BAMSR had more of this technobabble than, say, Missing or Reunion, but that was because the episode called for it. Thirdly, to the individual complaining about the fact that Stargate Command and Atlantis have amassed far too much advanced technology over the years and then goes on to offer up some examples… A Replicator-maker? Well, yes, we established the fact that the replicators were originally constructed by the Ancients, so it would stand to reason that if they were created, they were created by some means, no? The Asguard beam weapon? I’m surprised. No complaints about the aliens possessing spaceships? Seriously, where’s the arbitrary line that tells us just how advanced an alien race should be? Yet another 304 battleship…? Again, we’ve established the fact that Earth has the capability to produce ships. Are we to assume that they would only build the one and then shut down production? The weapon on Dakara? The Ancient repository in Lost City? Yes, admittedly, Stargate Command and Atlantis have come across a fair amount of advanced technology - but maybe that’s because Stargate has been on the air FOR ELEVEN YEARS! I will concede that this would indeed be too much advanced technology - if we were writing for Grey’s Anatomy. But since Stargate is science fiction, the audience should be prepared for the occasional scifi element.

Jenny Robin writes: “McKay=Vizzini
                Ronon=Fezzik
                Teyla=Inigo
                Sheppard=Man in Black”

Answer: Since the Dread Pirate Roberts is actually portrayed by a number of different people, what are you trying to say about Joe F.’s future with the show?

Maggie writes: “I would like to know if you have any favorite deus ex machina examples though.”

Answer: Sure. Check out the resolution to the climactic battle sequence in Tim Burton’s Planet of the Apes.

Jedi 43 writes: “…was JF’s fuller beard (as seen in the vid clip for the PCA’s) for a upcoming S5 episode, movie or just because he likes them when not shooting the show?”

Answer: The boys will be beardless for the start of the new season.

Philly writes: “Who came up with FRAN?”

Answer: Martin Gero. He also came up with her appropriate name.

Yazid a ecrit: “Est ce que vos chiens sont fans de Stargate ?”

Reponse: Non. Ils préfèrent Iron Chef.

Sort of translation: My dogs prefer Iron Chef over Stargate.

Shawna writes: “Okay, this is utterly random, but the question about deus ex machinas reminded me of the episode Ex Deus Machina, and I just love that title. Sometimes you guys really think up some clever stuff.”

Answer: Yeah, and the other 95% of the stuff aint half bad either.

Shirt ‘n Tie writes: “I am visiting Vancouver for the Creation Con in a few weeks, am particularly looking forward to the Set Tours…Two questions:
                1) Will we get to see your office??? or indeed where the spinning happens?
                2) I have scanned through your restaurant recommendations over the past few months and Fuel seems to be a constant…As I am in Vancouver or indeed Canada (perhaps only once in a lifetime) would this be your utlimate dining destination?”

Answers: 1) I don’t organize the tours or have anything to do with them - but I doubt it. Which is a shame because, really, the writers’ offices are the most exciting part of the Stargate lot. 2) Yes, do check out Fuel and mention you came all the way on my recommendation. Then tell them Joe wants the corn soup back on the menu.

JoshMeyers writes: “Do you think that SG-1 could ever team up with Sheppard’s team? Have you locked in the D.Jackson episode? How about the SG-1 whole team?”

Answers: 1) If circumstances necessitated they team-up - sure, why not. 2) Not yet. 3) Nope.

Judith writes: “1.How come the replicator ship with Weir in it didnt show up on the cheese grater thingy that showed all the ships,why didnt they check to make sure they got all of them 2.How have the ships got the asgard weapon cos she said at the end of season 10 sg1 carter turned them off so that the ori couldnt track them,and as they are based in the milky way they would be tracked by the ori and blown up.3. todd said there werent enuff wraith queens please where have they gone.”

Answers: 1) Given who these replicators are, there’s a very strong possibility that the rogue faction that gave our team the “cheese grater thingy”, made them aware of the fact which allowed them to take preventative action. 2) This has to do with the timeline of events. Ark of Truth takes place prior to the start of season 4. 3) Maybe that’s a question we’ll answer in time.

Fran writes: “How long does it take those brilliant Special FX guys to do the Explosions in the show, the battle scenes and all those other cool things?”

Answer: Depends on the shots and sequence. Months.

Lou Anders writes: “First, a big congratulations on The People’s Choice Award - that’s great! Second, honored to have FF1 chosen, if a little guilty that it beat out the wonderful Kay Kenyon. And finally, would be more than glad to answer questions. I’m currently organizing my thoughts (”state of the field” and all that) for the introduction of FF2, so it’s great timing!”

Answer: Thanks, Lou, and we look forward to reading FF1 (February’s SciFi book of the month). We also look forward to peppering you with nuisance questions when the time comes.

Carol Z writes: “A bit off-topic, but wondering why SGA doesn’t have any women writers? Have you found that the Sci-Fi writing genre is innately male-oriented?”

Answer: I would strongly disagree with the last statement. There are many great female Sci-Fi writes out there (Ursula K. LeGuin, Karen Traviss, and Elizabeth Moon to name a few). In the case of our show, we have used female writers in the past and have auditioned some for possible staff positions but, in the end, it didn’t work out - mainly because (like a number of the male writers we’ve also auditioned who didn’t work out) this is a very tricky show to write for with a vast and daunting backstory.

Becky writes: “I thought I had posted a congrats on the PCA yesterday but in looking back at the comments, I see I was remiss.”

Answer: Yeah, I noticed. I thought you were mad at me.

Becky also writes: “On another subject, how likely are we to have a visit from General O’Neill in season 5?”

Answer: At present, a visit by O’Neill is not in the cards. I stress “at present”.

Mrs. B108 writes: “1)Is the Last Man a reflective episode? 2)Are many lingering questions answered in the Kindred? In turn, does it evoke even more?”

Answers:1) In some ways. 2) A number are, yes.

DanielFanForever writes: “I have a Don Davis question, Joe. I’ve heard that he is a really good artist. That painting/drawing is a big hobby of his. I was curious if he has ever shared any of his art work with you?”

Answer: Yes. One of Don’s pieces adorns Fondy’s office

Comment

JANUARY
                  Becky also writes: “On another subject, how likely are we to have a visit from General O’Neill in season 5?”

Answer: At present, a visit by O’Neill is not in the cards. I stress “at present”.
                  I'm on the 'nay' side for Jack showing up again. I can't see any reason for him to show up (and no, Sam can go visit him ) and if anybody needs to nitpick how the city, sorry, base *cough* is run, that's why we've got Woolsey and other bureaucrats of his ilk. And realistically, I recall one of the producers commenting on how expensive RDA was...

Comment

I'm on the 'nay' side for Jack showing up again. I can't see any reason for him to show up (and no, Sam can go visit him ) and if anybody needs to nitpick how the city, sorry, base *cough* is run, that's why we've got Woolsey and other bureaucrats of his ilk. And realistically, I recall one of the producers commenting on how expensive RDA was...
                    Hmm it looks like they are working on something. Leave it to Brad Wright, he'll get RDA for an ep or two.

Right now I was reading that Weir and the rogue replicator bit. It may have answered a few questions.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm on the 'nay' side for Jack showing up again. I can't see any reason for him to show up
                      I second that. He didn't exactly endear himself to me in The Return - I'd be quite happy not to see him in Atlantis again.
                      - Life after Stargate -
                      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                        I second that. He didn't exactly endear himself to me in The Return - I'd be quite happy not to see him in Atlantis again.
                        He was great in "The Return part 2".
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          He was great in "The Return part 2".
                          O'Neill has turned into a cranky old man. It really irritates me - sorry. I liked early Jack, but not this Jack. That's not to say that some of the exchanges weren't amusing, but overall it just kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth, especially the "Next time bring Carter" comment at the end.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                            O'Neill has turned into a cranky old man. It really irritates me - sorry. I liked early Jack, but not this Jack.
                            I liked O'neill pre-Season 8! I thought "The Return" he had his old classic spark back.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I loved Jack in The Return. Along with all the jokes and snark, I also loved his commanding presence at the end when he went off on Caldwell. "This is General Jack O'Neill! That official enough for ya?!"

Besides, he's always been cranky.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                                Yeah, I loved Jack in The Return. Along with all the jokes and snark, I also loved his commanding presence at the end when he went off on Caldwell. "This is General Jack O'Neill! That official enough for ya?!"

Besides, he's always been cranky.
                                Sorry! Just difference of opinion I guess. That particular line was good - I'll admit.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X