Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post
    Hm, but what if the 750,000th poster is, *gasp* anonymous?
    I would LOL so loud people would here me across California.

I get amused waaaaaaay too easily . . . .

Comment

Where are the regulars? You guys aren't doing too well...
      http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...er-8-2007.html

Tomorrow night’s Atlantis episode is Missing, another strong character story that I’ve described as Stargate’s Thelma and Louise - in this case, Teyla and Keller, trapped off-world and kicking ass. It’s an episode that explores the darker facet of Teyla’s warrior persona, and also sets up one of this season’s major story arcs.

When I think back to how this particular episode came together, the first thing that comes to mind (okay, second after Carl’s terrific script) is that rope bridge. You see, Carl envisioned a scene involving a rope bridge and, simple enough, the Art Department came up with a design, it was approved, the bridge was built - and then when we found out the cost, our eyes almost popped out of our skulls. As it turns out, it wasn’t the bridge that was so pricey but the added expense of paying security guards to stand watch, 24/7, to ensure no adventurous teens attempted to cross the damn thing while it was up. It was just one of many surprises that transformed this originally inexpensive episode into a $$$ spectacular.

Another anecdote related to that rope bridge involves the apparently fearless Jewel Staite. When it came time to shoot the sequence in question, Rachel (who was pregnant at the time) quite wisely refused to set foot on it. Jewel, rather bravely (or foolishly, decide for yourself) offered to give it a go for a few steps. Director Andy Mikita assured her that he wouldn’t need much from her. He would yell “Action!” and she would start walking across the scary-as-hell bridge - maybe two or three steps - at which point he would yell “Cut!” and she could turn around and head back to the relative safety of solid ground. Jewel was game. So Andy yelled “Action!” and Jewel started walking. And walking. And waiting for someone to yell “Cut!”. And walking. And walking…past the halfway point of the bridge. What a trooper. Apparently, heights aren’t a problem for Jewel as she performed most of the rope bridge stunts herself including the…well, I don’t want to give it away. Check out tomorrow’s episode and watch for this memorable sequence.
      Big mailbag today:

Sherwood Forest Maiden writes: “ Joe, on the recent showing of SG1 s10 episode with Vala's father (sorry the title didnt show up on the digital service), I really like the way the set dressers decorated the apartment. Especially the lamp with the metal flowers rising from the base. Do you know where the props people got this lamp or was it made 'in house'??”

Answer: I’m fairly certain they bought it - most probably at a flea market. A possible 1 000 000th visitor give-away.

LogicSequence writes: “But could you do me (us fans) a favor in regards to the season 4 set? Could you put in a word to Ivon, or whomever is in charge of it, that the fans would REALLY like to have the actor commentaries return?”

Answer: I’ve mentioned it but, at the end of the day, it’s out of my hands.

Moe Jacuzzi writes: “It seems you're finally beginning to realize the genius mastermind behind fiberglass. Suffice it to say I dabbled in glass and fiber in my youth. My accomplishments surprise even me. Maleficent, no?”

Answer: Yeah, it is something you’d invent. Not unlike lemon cream-filled chocolates. You should be ashamed.

Jenny Robin writes: “During your interview for the deleted scenes I hope you remembered to mention your blog and how witty and charming I am in the comments I write.”

Answer: I did but, ironically, that bit was deleted.

LostCityGuardian writes: “If SGU were to get the go ahead, would you eventually become involved in running it?”

Answer: When SGU goes into production, Brad and/or Robert will be at the helm.

Squall78 writes: “Do you or anybody on the cast and crew like Family Guy?”

Answer: Love it. We’re in talks with Brian and Stewie to come over and do an episode.

Anonymous #3 writes: “How do you deal with negative criticism of the episodes from either professional critics or fan critics who at least write a well thought out and written critique?”

Answer: There are times I’ll agree, other times I’ll disagree, and still other times when I may be unconvinced but give props for a good argument. It really depends on what they say and how they say it.

Anonymous #4 writes: “Please don't bring over Jackson. And please get rid of Carter. Bring back Weir, please. So far this season has been really awful.”

Answer: See, this is a perfect example of a fairly innocuous blanket critique that really tells me nothing except for the fact that the person in question is upset because we got rid of the Weir character.

Vikitty writes: “If, by chance, the winner is a Vancouverite (I know there are tons of readers who are from around here...), would the dinner still be virtual?”

Answer: It weren’t virtual, then many other fans would be deprived the opportunity to eavesdrop on the conversation.

LostCityGuardian writes: “What will you do if the 750,000th visitor posts a message anonymously?”

Answer: I’ll choose visitor 750 0001.

Dovil writes: “ If I win I would like to dedicate it to my job…”

Answer: You, my friend, need a new job. My suggestion - comedy writer.

ActingChick writes: “I was wondering how you calculate the 750,000 visitor. Is it the 750,000 person who leaves a comment, or the 750,000 person, who although they read your page, sits quietly on the sidelines?”

Answer: I’ll have to go by comment closest to 750 000 so that I can confirm the winner’s identity.

MrsB108 writes: “Do any of the team member cross any moral lines this season?”

Answer: That’s up for debate. Check out Missing tomorrow night and you tell me.
      Last edited by wurlitzer153; 08 November 2007, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Rope bridge stunt, eh? I keep thinking of Temple of Doom...
        "Oh my god, is he nuts?"
        "He no nuts! He CRAZY!"
        "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
        My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Squall78 writes: “Do you or anybody on the cast and crew like Family Guy?”

Answer: Love it. We’re in talks with Brian and Stewie to come over and do an episode.

**points at Sig**
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wurlitzer153 View Post

LostCityGuardian writes: “What will you do if the 750,000th visitor posts a message anonymously?”

Answer: I’ll choose visitor 750 0001.
            I probably deserved that, but it begs the question: what happens if 750 001 is also anonymous, and 750 002 and so on. A lot of people ask questions anonymously. And its not going to be an exact science.

Also, if it was someone who just types a username for the comments on Joe's blog (like me) wins this prize, what stops someone else from typing the name and hijacking the dinner?

Comment

To answer your question, us regulars are either too busy with real life (i.e. me), or is currently asleep (i.e. prion).

Just to let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
                Channel your inner Rodney. You know he's there.
                What a frightening, frightening thought! What if he doesn't want to leave afterwards?
                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                Yes, I am!
                sigpic
                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                  What a frightening, frightening thought! What if he doesn't want to leave afterwards?
                  Ah, that's nothing eating some Lemon Chicken won't solve.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                  K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                    My Stargate Art | My LJ | My Fanfics | My Vids | SGA H/C Challenges Comm
                    Sig and avi by me
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                      But I'm a vegeterian!
                      *sobs*
                      *puts some lemon on tea*

Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                        Then channel your inner Zelenka. They'll spend so much time arguing that they'll eventually become background noise.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana
                        My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Where are the regulars? You guys aren't doing too well...

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          To answer your question, us regulars are either too busy with real life (i.e. me), or is currently asleep (i.e. prion).

Just to let you know.
                          Yup, work for a living so have priorities. JM's blog is fun to read, but it's just a hobby Don't see the need to stay hooked to the PC all night when I've got lots of other things to do Plus for me, I'm east coast, so sure as heck ain't staying up for midnight for it eihter, except, maybe, on a Friday if I want to catch the second viewing of SGA

Comment

Wow, Joe posted early (considering the past few days)

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...er-9-2007.html

Oooh, you guys are in for a treat. Carl Binder (Yes! THE Carl Binder!) has agreed to do a post-Missing guest Q&A on this very blog. So what I’m going to do is gather up your Missing and miscellaneous Stargate-related questions (ie. How is your three-part toilet episode coming along?, What is Joseph Mallozzi really like?) through Saturday, send them his way Saturday evening, give him most of Sunday to come up with his clever answers, and then post the responses on a special “Carl Binder Guest Blog Entry” Sunday evening.

Also, I’m sure you’ve all heard by now that Stargate Atlantis has been nominated for a People’s Choice Award in the category of Favorite Sci-Fi Show. More surprising than the fact that we were nominated is the fact that this category actually exists in the first place. Since when? Although, in all fairness, there were a number of other categories that seem new to me including “Favorite Reunion Tour”, “Favorite Threequel”, and “Most Meticulous Animal Guest Star in a Musical or Variety Series“. Nevertheless, it’s nice to see the genre (and, of course, our series) being recognized. If you’d like to support the show and vote for Atlantis, head on over to -

http://www.pcavote.com/pca/index.jsp

By the way, I am genuinely surprised by all of the excitement generated by my proposed virtual dinner prize for the 750 000th visitor to this blog. When I came up with the idea in passing, I never imagined fans would react so positively. As a matter of fact, I’m suddenly feeling the pressure of having to prove myself a delightful dinner companion. Well, at the very least, I suppose I’ll have to dress up for the occasion. For all those interested in chowing down on some virtual crispy pork hocks and/or squid ink fettuccine - it’ll be a while. We are presently ticking toward 675 000.

Another quiet day at the office marked by plenty o’ phone calls (finally got in touch with Mr. Shanks), budget talk, and a Day One Mix of Kindred II. I have to say that with Kindred I, Kindred II, and The Last Man, Atlantis’s fourth season closes out very, VERY strong, offering up a touching and bittersweet mix of character moments that I know fans are going to love. The ending of Kindred II in particular is incredibly moving (Carl was in tears. I was, of course, touched, but not overly emotional although the eye infection I’ve been battling may have made it seem like I was crying. Marty G., meanwhile, was not present as he is in Vegas - uh - scouting locations for next season - but would have been weeping as well. Paul, as usual, was impassive - the cold-hearted *******). No doubt that Kindred II will have fans reaching for the tissue or their significant other’s sleeve while Last Man will have them jumping up, bug-eyed screaming: “HOLY F*&O$2@ S*$#!!!!!”. Heh heh. Stay tuned.
                            Today’s mailbag:

Fingolfin high king writes: “Have you every met a Stargate fan while at a restaurant?”

Answer: As a matter of fact, yes. Earlier this year I was at a local restaurant when the waitress introduced herself as, not only a fan of the show, but a regular reader of this blog.

Elizabeth writes: “1) What's your favorite episode of season four? 2) When are the movies suppose to be compared to the Atlantis timeframe?”

Answer: 1) Hard to say as we are still finishing episodes. Right now, my favorites are Tabula Rasa, BAMSR, and Harmony. 2) The events of Ark of Truth take place before season four. The events of Continuum - anytime.

LostCityGuardian writes: “Forgive the following extreme lack of knowledge then, but does the executive producer actually run the show? Does that mean that you and Paul Mullie run SGA in the same way that they would run SGU?”

Answer: The showrunners run the show and, yes, Rob and/or Brad will hold parallel positions to Paul and I on SGU.

Charles Schneider writes: “Was the rope bridge a "Binder Original" or did it evolve after the initial script had been turned in?”

Answer: It was a Binder Original. A very costly, over-budget Binder Original.

Shawna writes: “If you had to choose any Stargate race other than human to be, what would you pick? Also, would you rater be that in the SG universe, or in your real life?”

Answer: Other than human? Hmmmmm. Hard to say as most of the races SG-1 and the Atlantis expedition encountered were human. Hmmmm. Maybe one of those Foothold aliens with the illusory disguise devices so that I could masquerade as Lindsay Lohan and get into all the good Hollywood parties. Also, given the choice, I think I’d prefer to remain in my real life than exist in the SG universe. Unless the Stargate universe gets House and Survivor.

Scifan writes: “Are we going to know the answer to, "Who's the daddy", to Teyla's baby soon or do we have to wait 'til the end of the season?”

Answer: Soon. Soon.

Anonymous #1 writes: “What do the others in your office think when you start snapping their pics and posting them on your blog?”

Answer: Depends who it is. On the one hand, you have my writing/producing partner Paul who is very camera shy on account of that international arrest warrant. On the other hand, you have Marty G. who has never met a camera he doesn’t like (and, let’s be frank, hasn’t loved him back).

Anonymous #2 writes: “Please remove the Carter intros to the episode previews, since she is not an actual, original Atlantis person.”

Answer: Sure thing. Allow me to put that on my To Do List, right after “record my gospel cd” but well before “start my edible lye soap business”.

Anonymous #3 writes: “…She's had no scenes so far that couldn't have been handled by Weir or Zelenka.”

Answer: By that brilliant logic, one could argue that all of McKay’s scenes could have been handled by Zelenka while all of Sheppard’s scenes could have been handled by Lorne. Also, I don’t think Weir or Zelenka would’ve fared as well leading that rescue op in Reunion.

Cyn writes: “Teyla's always handled herself with grace, but I do like seeing her pissed off, too.”

Answer: Ooooh. Then you’re going to like Missing.

Joshua Meyers writes: “I love the chemistry of Larrin and Sheppard, can we have more of that?”

Answer: BAMSR.

SMB Books writes: “What is your Cookie Monster email account?”

Answer: [email protected]

Morgia a ecrit: “Je me suis rendu compte que tu ne réponds jamais (ou presque) aux personnes qui t'écrivent en français…”

Reponse: “J'ai répondu ?* des questions françaises dans le passé et continuerai ?* les repondre. Il tout dépend du type de question demandé.”

Atlantisfannew1 a ecrit: “1}Quel est votre épisode préféré dans stargate sg1?
                            2}(Répondez franchement a cette question s'il vous plait.)Imaginons qu'une personne ne parlant pas anglais vous met la 750000 visite, choisiriez vous une autre personne qui parle anglais?”

Reponses: 1) 2010. 2) Non, je choisirais le 750 000ieme visiteur - et parlerais français avec eux.

Comment

Hey, shouldn't you be watching Missing?

Kindred and Last Man are starting to sound good; I can't wait to see it.

Oh, and I just realized that this thread passed the 4000-posts mark a few days ago (It's 4047 posts before this one...Wow, the number 47 appears again...), so hooray for us!!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                                Hey, shouldn't you be watching Missing?

Kindred and Last Man are starting to sound good; I can't wait to see it.

Oh, and I just realized that this thread passed the 4000-posts mark a few days ago (It's 4047 posts before this one...Wow, the number 47 appears again...), so hooray for us!!
                                I can multi-task and the commercials are so long anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X