Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...ne-9-2007.html

June 9

Ruffles writes: “Do you write a bio when you create a character or do you decide on general characteristics and flesh out the rest as opportunity permits?”

Answer: We don’t write anything down. We have a general idea of who or what we want the character to be and then find and develop them in the writing.
    Originally posted by maxbo View Post
    *sigh* This answer confirms so much. *sigh*
    Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
    I certainly does! It means they don't tie characters down to an arbitrarily allocated list of characteristics. They can actually evolve and grow with the story itself. Cool!
    Your take is much more positive than mine because without an idea of who these character are, it became easier for the writers to change them to suit the plot, which damaged the characters and led to lousy storylines.

IMO, having a character bible doesn't limit a character, instead it offers more opportunities for growth for that character. Take Ford, for instance. If there had been a character bible in place for Ford, then the writers probably wouldn't have run out of storyline ideas for him before the end of the first season. If there had been a character bible for Ford, then when the writers became stuck about what to do with him, they could have referred to it to follow-up on some of their original ideas for the character.

Without character bibles in place, it became easier for the writers to become distracted by the characters they found easiest to write for and then wall-paper (or get rid of) the rest.

If I had my wish, TPTB would have created character bibles for each character. In addition, they would have created a general outline of where they wanted to take the series.
    sigpic
    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Your take is much more positive than mine because without an idea of who these character are, it became easier for the writers to change them to suit the plot, which damaged the characters and led to lousy storylines.

IMO, having a character bible doesn't limit a character, instead it offers more opportunities for growth for that character. Take Ford, for instance. If there had been a character bible in place for Ford, then the writers probably wouldn't have run out of storyline ideas for him before the end of the first season. If there had been a character bible for Ford, then when the writers became stuck about what to do with him, they could have referred to it to follow-up on some of their original ideas for the character.

Without character bibles in place, it became easier for the writers to become distracted by the characters they found easiest to write for and then wall-paper (or get rid of) the rest.

If I had my wish, TPTB would have created character bibles for each character. In addition, they would have created a general outline of where they wanted to take the series.
      This is so true, without the character bible, when you have so many different writers trying to fit the character to the plot, they can come out looking like they have a multiple personaltiy disorder and leave people wondering what is in character and what is out of character. Everyone writing for the show has to know how that character would behave in a certain situation not make it up as they go.
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

^That's not that much of a problem since the writers tend to review each others work A LOT. The story is spun out by all of the writers, and the drafts of the scripts are reviewed by everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          ^That's not that much of a problem since the writers tend to review each others work A LOT. The story is spun out by all of the writers, and the drafts of the scripts are reviewed by everyone.
          Yes, the fact that they (the writers) appear to be of one mind is part of the problem. For instance, it's unsettling that they couldn't see that they were relying too much on Rodney-heavy storylines while they were wall-papering Teyla and Ronon. The neglect of Teyla was especially evident since she was the only main character who didn't get a character-driven storyline in Season 3, while Rodney got not one, but two episodes named for him. That's poor, short-sighted planning.

I hope they truly have learned their lesson and won't be making the same mistake in Season. Judging by that Season 4 clip, so far so good --- but time will tell.
          sigpic
          Sig by Luciana

Comment

Yes, the fact that they (the writers) appear to be of one mind is part of the problem. For instance, it's unsettling that they couldn't see that they were relying too much on Rodney-heavy storylines while they were wall-papering Teyla and Ronon. The neglect of Teyla was especially evident since she was the only main character who didn't get a character-driven storyline in Season 3, while Rodney got not one, but two episodes named for him. That's poor, short-sighted planning.

I hope they truly have learned their lesson and won't be making the same mistake in Season. Judging by that Season 4 clip, so far so good --- but time will tell.
            So.... they're wrong for not havign a character/story bible in order to be coordinated and wrong for working together and being coordinated?
            A dmaned if they do, damned if they don't definition if I've ever seen one.
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

What's a current show that uses character bibles? Just for comparison purposes.

It's hard to say if not having a bible helps or hinders as it really depends on the writers and what they do (or don't do) with what they have. Personally I think it's better to have the writers be in general agreement than to have petty bickerfests break out amongst the staff as that might have a negative affect on the characters/plots (Martin likes McKay so Paul does something petty and stupid to the character to make Martin suffer, etc).

If there's a stifling lack of creativity on the show it isn't because the show doesn't use character bibles. In fact, if it DID use them that would probably be one of the biggest targets for blame ("If they didn't have them all figured out beforehand there'd be more room to expand!"). Lack of creativity comes from lack of trying or a plain ol' lack of imagination and I'm sure that crops up on shows with bibles just as often as it crops up on shows without them.

Sure, you can point at Stargate and say, "It doesn't use character bibles! That's why it sucks!" But what about Painkiller Jane? Assuming for a moment that it does use bibles (I haven't a clue if it does or not, but hypothetically) would that mean its stories are likely to be better? Could you point to PKJ and say, "It uses character bibles! That's why it rocks!"? Probably not.

*shrug* I can see a bit of both sides. On the one hand it can be a little dismaying to hear the producers of a show say that they have no real plan and are just making it up as they go along, but on the other hand, yeah, it does allow them a bit of flexibility that they otherwise might not have.

Personally, though, I'd prefer bibles. They don't have to go into excruciating detail about every nuance of a character but I know I'd prefer to have a general idea of who and what a character is so that I have a framework to build on. And if things change down the road, maybe the bible can be adapted. How's that saying go? They aren't rules so much as guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                So.... they're wrong for not havign a character/story bible in order to be coordinated and wrong for working together and being coordinated?
                A dmaned if they do, damned if they don't definition if I've ever seen one.
                No, they're wrong to not have character/storyline bibles because they think too much alike to grind out storylines at the spur of the moment. Where's the oversight if they all think alike?

At least f they sat down well before deadlines to try to hammer out details, then they would be more likely to pick up on problems with enough time to deal with them.
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana

Comment

It doesn't bother me that they don't have a character bible. It bothers me much more that they don't have a character bio. That meager half a page of information...

Comment

I'ts pretty horrifying they don't have a bible. But thenagain, that explains why they rip off their own scripts over and over....

Comment

Well, JM did once say they didn't have a show bible, but used the script archive.

Writer X: "I'm going to go 'check the show's canon'."

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                        Well, JM did once say they didn't have a show bible, but used the script archive.

Actually one of 'em - cooper, wright, or mallozzi - once said they had no story bible and just read fan sitse instead, which was very scary, considering how biased many fan sites are toward a character or genre (ship, ec.)

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post

Yes, because that worked so well with the whole Lorne name debacle. Or the Chevron Guy name debacle, for that matter (which at least has the excuse of being complicated by RDA). Or various other niggly (and not so niggly) things fans have noted over the years.

They may not have a bible, but I betcha they have a Big Book of Excuses.

Comment

Yes, but it's great for making sure you don't rehash old story ideas.
                            Or is it great for making sure you do rehash old story ideas?

Can't remember. Dang. Which one is better?

Brings to mind JM's answer to the canon question a while back about never writing against canon, because they write the canon. True, but they can still write against the Stargate universe's internal logic.

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...e-11-2007.html

June 11

Photos: Awwww...cute little Pug Puppies; Jaffa Orange?! And food along with a suggestive fortune cookie fortune.

Write-Up: Full-on spoiler analysis of The Sopranos Series Finale. Read at your own risk. Also, Joe might getting another pug.

Good luck Joe.

Questions:

PG 15 writes: “Is Miller's Crossing still airing 9th?”

Answer: Most definitely.

Smiley_face06 writes: “Where do you keep your camera? I ask because you seem to have it on you quite often.”

Answer: Actually, my eye is bionic and possesses a camera/coupon scanner function.

Little Raven-Hawk writes: “Will the ratings in other countries be looked at when they are deciding on season 5?”

Answer: Sadly, no.

Anonymous #1 writes: “Who's next? Dump Teyla for Vala, maybe?? Get rid of Shep and bring in Mitchell??”

Answer: I hear they’re thinking of trading Zelenka and Chuck for Siler and a third round draft pick.

Johnny E writes: “Any outdoor scenes you shoot for SG1 or SGA, do you guys have to get a permit for it, or are you just running around the woods?”

Answer: All location shoots are cleared with the city and any other necessary authorities.

Arlessiar writes: “So, from what you told us about McKay's allergy the "make of that what you want" doesn't leave much room for interpretations anymore”

Answer: Actually, it leaves plenty of room for interpretation. It’s like a Sopranos finale. Whatever makes you happy.

Rosie writes: “Which do you find more difficult, writing the actual script, or choosing the name for said script?”

Answer: They’re equally frustrating. So to all of you who aren’t crazy about the Rise of the Googlions title, here’s your chance to come up with an alternative title. I can’t tell you what the episode is about but if you come up with a good enough title, I promise to use it.

Saddy writes: “ Liz didn't HAVE TO be stuck behind her desk. She has a political and linguist background, she could have done everything that Daniel Jackson is doing in SG1”

Answer: Actually, Daniel’s background as an anthropologist and archaeologist makes him uniquely qualified to travel off-world with SG-1.

Foolishpleasure writes: “So, I've seen the MGM preview and have to wonder why it seems you writers think the way to improve and develop Teyla is to have her romance one of the leads.”

Answer: She’s romancing one o the leads? Really? You have a better inside scoop than I do and I work on the show. So what else is going to happen in season four? Dish!

Anonymous #2 writes: “Why hasn't there been any featurette on Joe F.?”

Answer: Ivon Bartok puts together the special features and relies on actors to make themselves available to him. If they are unable to make themselves available to him for whatever reason, then he can’t produce special features dedicated to them.

LogicSequence writes: “There are no commentaries with the actors for the season 3 DVD box set?”

Answer: No idea.

Comment

Did Joe really say they never write against canon as they write canon? Good grief, so if they in one ep *The Defiant One* have McKay able to hold a gun without the clip falling out and actually able to shoot at a moving target (The Wraith) it is still OK by the season end-er for him to lose his clip and not even be able to shoot at a stationary target (The Wraith).

Because they write it all and so it is all canon.

Comment

Working...
                                X