Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember, I'm the guy with the freaked-out-Hewlett as his avatar.

And Night Spring, perhaps you're right, but as a young adult (I'm 19), it's kinda hard trying to imagine someone's perception not changing through all those years.

Eh, I guess it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Just remember, I'm the guy with the freaked-out-Hewlett as his avatar.
      For reasons I don't want to go into now, I have avatars and images disabled. I have no problem with not-confusing others, though.

But enough with the chit-chat.
      No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
      (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

I just like to add to this; maybe the reason why SG1 seems more "juvenile" is because the viewers are getting older? Don't forget, "mature" stories seen 10 years ago when the viewer was 10 years younger (and less mature) would probably mean that the same kind of story done now would seem 10 years more juvenile.
        I think the reason the storylines seem more juvenile is because THEY ARE. Watch "irresponsible" and you'll see. It's the writers who think it's funny, hence, they're more juvenile in their views.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
          I think the reason the storylines seem more juvenile is because THEY ARE. Watch "irresponsible" and you'll see. It's the writers who think it's funny, hence, they're more juvenile in their views.
          Coincidentally, from today's blog entry:
          Answer: My favorite is probably Ripple Effect - a nice mix of humor, action, science, and back-references. My least favorite is Irresponsible - an episode where anything that could have gone wrong did.

Or did you mean Irresistable? Because then I agree. But it's just one episode of the whole last season. Not enough to make a point one way or another.
          No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
          (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

I just like to add to this; maybe the reason why SG1 seems more "juvenile" is because the viewers are getting older? Don't forget, "mature" stories seen 10 years ago when the viewer was 10 years younger (and less mature) would probably mean that the same kind of story done now would seem 10 years more juvenile.
            Interesting theory, but when I watch a 10 year old episode now I don't find them as juvenile as the more recent offerings.

& that's not taking into account that I think I've regressed in the last ten years, not matured.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
              Interesting theory, but when I watch a 10 year old episode now I don't find them as juvenile as the more recent offerings.

& that's not taking into account that I think I've regressed in the last ten years, not matured.
              True, but you have to remember the factor of nostalgia - you already have a high opinion on these episodes.

As for me, who have been following the show in the past 9 years or so... I honeslty don't see a lot of difference between these seasons and old SG1.
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                True, but you have to remember the factor of nostalgia - you already have a high opinion on these episodes.

As for me, who have been following the show in the past 9 years or so... I honeslty don't see a lot of difference between these seasons and old SG1.
                That's assuming I do have a high opinion of the episodes in question. Some I don't, but I can see that they tackle whichever issue it is in a more mature fashion (IMO obviously). Less of the yucks and one-liners, more on the social/character impact.
                But I expect that is more due to the different demographic associated with Showtime and SciFi.

Comment

That's assuming I do have a high opinion of the episodes in question. Some I don't, but I can see that they tackle whichever issue it is in a more mature fashion (IMO obviously). Less of the yucks and one-liners, more on the social/character impact.
                  But I expect that is more due to the different demographic associated with Showtime and SciFi.
                  ell, I agree they tackle things differnetly- but I have to disagree it's always a bad thing. Yes, one-liners included.See, I'm actually quite a fan of the refusing to take themselves seriously attitude in Stargate, and that has been growing over the eyars - as if, in each year they dare do more in that respect. Some of the old episodes, season 2 especially, are quite cheesy in that respect. It's exactly those one liners, from Jack's "come on who talks ike that" in Redemption to some of Rodney's snarkasm in SGA that makes teh cheesyness fade.
                  As for the stories... well, I think, or at least feel, that the main differnece has been the naivety. Stargate's lost its naivety an it's udnerstandable. Witht eh naivety they lost the ability tomake more stories like Torment of Tantalus or Enigma or One False Step, ebcause only a very naive set-up can make these work. But as for maturity, I don't see much of a differnece
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Y'see I think this not taking themselves seriously - and I'm all for a bit of fun (emphasize "a bit") - is what is making it seem much more juvenile. It may always have been slightly cheesy, but playing it straight, with the odd well placed one-liner or bit of incidental humor, allows them to at least delve a bit more deeply than setting up the next (in-)joke.

There may be no naivity in the characters/show, but it doesn't mean they have to stop, and point out all the cheesiness. If they make a habit of going "Haha, we know this is silly. See we're having the characters point it out all the time" then all I will be left seeing is a joke show.
                    Also, I think it worked better in previous seasons since it tended to only be Jack who pointed it out whilst everyone else was fairly straight. This way it was just his character quirk.
                    Once everyone is at it then I have to ask how can I take the situations seriously when none of the characters do?

Comment

I agree, at least with the first sentence

Stargate in teh beginning was better than it is now. I think that's because Showtime was behind it, RDA was behind it, but once season 4 started, and you lost some good key production people (gee, why wouldn't they bail to work on CSI: MIami??), it went downhill. Most noteable was as RDA wanted to leave the show, it showed in his work, or rather lack thereof, in his one-liners and flat delivery. As much as I do like Jack, when RDA quit for good, I was thrilled. I'd rather have Showtime Jack than pod Jack.

Comment

Huh. I'm not overly fond of seasons 1-3. My favorite seasons are 4, 6, 8, & 9. I guess I must not be very attentive or something because I don't know what people are talking about when they say it showed that RDA wanted out. I don't notice any difference between his acting in any season (except perhaps season's nine and ten).

I don't see where the later seasons are any more juvenile than the earlier ones. The depth to some of the better eps, the emotional tenor, the concepts addressed, are just as good in later seasons as they were in earlier seasons. Sure, there's cheesy, shallow eps in the later seasons, but they were there in the beginning, too.

Oh well, folks will differ....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

For me, it's the number of cheesy/comedy-skewed episodes in the season rather than there being cheesy/comedy-skewed episodes. It felt previously like a one-off, bit of fun, and even then there was still emotional depth to it - thinks WoO.
                          Now, and I admit not watching the entire of S9 and S10, it feels like they come around too often. Maybe because those episodes which are not meant to be "fun" have moments when the comedy/cheesiness seems overtly highlighted.

I dunno, I think if I still connected to any of the characters then I might be able to ignore it. I wasn't overly enamoured by S8 either, but at least the characters were in character, or had a point and were vaguely interesting enough to wallpaper over the (massive) flaws.

Back to Joe's blog. I see he mentions that the writers write what interests them. It seems to me, from the last couple of seasons, that what interests them is not Stargate, but some other sci fi show.

Comment

Back to Joe's blog. I see he mentions that the writers write what interests them. It seems to me, from the last couple of seasons, that what interests them is not Stargate, but some other sci fi show.
                            Hm,m that does sum it up, doesn't it??

Comment

I'll stick my oar in here...
                              I suppose I'm one of those people who started watching Stargate because of that sly *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* quality which may explain why Jack was my favourite character from the start. To me it was always about other scifi shows anyway *shrugs*... Trek in particular. I've always thought that Stargate TPTB are fanboys anyway.

However, I do agree that there have been some changes which I personally haven't felt were for the best. But it isn't the humour... it's more to do with characterization -- Daniel, in particular.

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                              Huh. I'm not overly fond of seasons 1-3. My favorite seasons are 4, 6, 8, & 9. I guess I must not be very attentive or something because I don't know what people are talking about when they say it showed that RDA wanted out. I don't notice any difference between his acting in any season (except perhaps season's nine and ten).

I don't see where the later seasons are any more juvenile than the earlier ones. The depth to some of the better eps, the emotional tenor, the concepts addressed, are just as good in later seasons as they were in earlier seasons. Sure, there's cheesy, shallow eps in the later seasons, but they were there in the beginning, too.

Oh well, folks will differ....
                              Personally I think that every season has its good and bad. That said, s6 is my favourite. Dunno why... just liked everything about it and everything worked for me.
                              Admittedly, I'm not the world's biggest SG-1 fan... but I've never seen it as serious television. Not when you've seen B5 or DS9. Even Baal, my favourite G'ould, doesn't take himself too seriously either.
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBlu View Post
                                No, it's evolving. If it was going downhill there'd be less ways of saying things, not more.
                                Um, that should be "fewer." Fewer things.

Also? That should be "if it WERE going downhill."

There's evolving, and then there's just wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X