This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shep
    You guys act like that's not in every show's contract. The reason why Joss Whedon spoke so highly of Fox when they allowed him to shop Firefly to other networks before he went the movie route was specifically because it was so rare.

Again, I'm not saying don't be mad that your show got axed, or don't be mad at the way that Skiffy did it. What I *am* saying is that 10 years is a long time for a show to be on the air, and you should all try to keep that perspective in mind.
    10 years is a long time. People just have a problem with shows going away not on their terms. It was expected, just not welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep
      You guys act like that's not in every show's contract. The reason why Joss Whedon spoke so highly of Fox when they allowed him to shop Firefly to other networks before he went the movie route was specifically because it was so rare.

Again, I'm not saying don't be mad that your show got axed, or don't be mad at the way that Skiffy did it. What I *am* saying is that 10 years is a long time for a show to be on the air, and you should all try to keep that perspective in mind.
      So your saying becouse the show was on the AIR for 10 years it should be cancelled ... What about STORYLINES that they dont get to finish , or how about the fact that when fFANS of the show and Supporters made comments about the SHOW that i would live on in some form or another , Sci-Fi comes out with a remark saying that your show WONT GO ON , Couse they have it in the CONTRACT of the show that you have been watching for the last 10 years ....

To me it doesnt see far to the CAST and CREW , and better yet the WRITTERS , Producers and Supporters of a show like this to let it DIE with out at least finishing the Storyline to it ...

It would be like reading a good book for the last few week and the COMPANY that PRINTED the BOOK took the ENDING out so no one could read it ... Then tell the WRITTER that he can never tell anyone about the ending couse it was in his contract .....

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze
        10 years is a long time. People just have a problem with shows going away not on their terms. It was expected, just not welcomed.
        Yeah , it would have been mroe welcomed if Scif-Fi would have let the writters and the Show have oen more season , so the show doesnt feel rushed ..

Comment

If I recall the main story arc ended with the Goa'uld getting defeated at the end of season 8. Everything else was just gravy. I accept that view.

Comment

If I recall the main story arc ended with the Goa'uld getting defeated at the end of season 8. Everything else was just gravy. I accept that view.
            Yeah but it was Sci-Fi's idea to keep SG-1 going for 2 more seasons , So they should own up to what they have done here , and accept that they started a new PLOT LINE for STARGATE SG-1 ...

You are right the MAIN Stroy Ark of the show did end in Season 8 , but then with Season 9 and now 10 we have a NEW STORY ARK that could take SG-1 to at least a few more season ... Even the Writters and Directors wanted to change things around in STARGATE SG-1 ( Starting with the NAME ) before season 9 was talked about ... And that is what they should have done ...

It would have been cheaper with a NEW SPIN OFF , rather then keep SG-1 on after the 8th season , but sense Sci-Fi wanted SG-1 to go on tell they got to there 200th show , they should be made to keep STARGATE SG-1 going for a few mroe seasons to let the Writter finish this NEW STORY ARK ...

Comment

I never like to get into the shoulda coulda wouldas.
              The shows in the hands of the producers now, they do their best to keep it going I'm sure.
              But if you want a new story arc there is one, it's Atlantis. You can choose to enjoy the show or not, but just be glad you wern't cut off cold turkey.

Comment

I never like to get into the shoulda coulda wouldas.
                The shows in the hands of the producers now, they do their best to keep it going I'm sure.
                But if you want a new story arc there is one, it's Atlantis. You can choose to enjoy the show or not, but just be glad you wern't cut off cold turkey.
                Yeah your right , but Atlantis is based in another galaxy .. I have always like both shows , jsut SG-1 has been mroe Earth based and thats why i kind of liked it more ...

Comment

Originally posted by -PITBULL-
                  Yeah your right , but Atlantis is based in another galaxy .. I have always like both shows , jsut SG-1 has been mroe Earth based and thats why i kind of liked it more ...
                  All valid preferences. It's funny I like Atlantis for the exact opposite reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity
                    This is another reason why I don't like it when too much power is in too few hands. The fact that Hammer is president of both USA and the SCIFI channel shows that interlocking directorships are bad for television entertainment from our point. By putting the best shows against each other, Stargate SG-1 is suffering considerably from this scheduling situation. Despite what executives think is best, putting top-rated shows against each other will damage both in the long run. Also, the lack of advertising effort on SG-1 has had drastic problems for the show, as well as Atlantis. When I watch SG-1 and Atlantis in syndication on the weekends, I see advertisements for Eureka frequently, as well as for Battlestar Galactica. There is very little advertisement for SG-1 and Atlantis outside the SCI-FI channel. SG-1's "200" had more advertising, and it pulled in the best ratings of the season by far. It proves that better advertising is a serious help for the show.
                    Tell this to the people in "Did Cam/Vala killed stargate?" thread in season 10 area. This is something I'm trying to point, but deaf ears are in majority there.
                    T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

You know, I think one thing people overlook when talking about cancellation is that the show has been on for 10 years... People are so fast to blame it on the ratings, the network, TPTB, Vala, Cam, ''bad writing'' and so on, but fact is, 10 years is a very long time. I'm not saying a show should end because it's been on for a long time, because I think that's a load of crap. I'm saying that some people here (myself included) have been watching Stargate for 10 years. Tastes change over 10 years. 10 years ago I was 11. Since then I've gone through school and University. I've had different friends, lived in different places, discovered new things I like, lost interest in things I used to like, and yet Stargate has always remained a constant thing for me. That doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. People can be losing interest through no fault of the writers or creators, but because they're just not as interested in it as they once were.

Comment

well speaking from the viewpoint of a long-time overseas viewer of stargate i think the sg1 franchise is too big for a poxy little american sci-fi channel to control.
                        It's ridiculous that millions of international viewers watch each episode of the series within 24 hours of it being shown in the states, but they are not counted as viewers. lets face it the concept of a tv channel being restrictive by physical geography is so dated now the world has the internet.
                        if mgm were clever enough they could keep sg1 running by running a global pay-per-view service on the net, if they were really brave they could make it free to air/free to download by having global corporations sponsor/advertise the downloadable program. truth is television is a dying format.
                        im pretty sure if sg1 was obtainable exclusively from one source in the world, with the same release date per episode worlwide none of this cancellation would happen.

Comment

Originally posted by I LoveThor
                          I don't believe people have a hard time believing any religious group can be bad. After all, many religious groups believe in Satan, who is the ultimate BAD. I have a deep religious faith and accept the ORI as being equivalent to agents of Hell. It's simple and it works.
                          I have to agree. Relegions make a distinction between good and evil and there is no law that says evil people can't be relegious. I also don't think it would be offensive to relegious people to see such a villian.

Comment

this is why SG-1 got canceled

1, Amanda tappings hairstylist finally gave up

2, TPTB couldn't afford Teal'c gold make up

3, There ran out of idea of how to kill Daniel

4, There couldn't come up with anything good for Mitchell

5, all the Priors plastic staffs broke

6, the Goa'uld went on strike and want there jobs back

7, The asgard got tired of having to rebuild there civilization all the time.

8, the Asgard got sick of building earth ships that only last 1-2 episodes

9, There ran out of bullets for the P90's

10, TPTB ran out of ideas
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Wow. . . .

And during ECW they frelling advertise for Smackdown, which competes against SG-1.

Sci-Fi just doesn't give a dren, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by -PITBULL-
                                So your saying becouse the show was on the AIR for 10 years it should be cancelled ... What about STORYLINES that they dont get to finish , or how about the fact that when fFANS of the show and Supporters made comments about the SHOW that i would live on in some form or another , Sci-Fi comes out with a remark saying that your show WONT GO ON , Couse they have it in the CONTRACT of the show that you have been watching for the last 10 years ....

To me it doesnt see far to the CAST and CREW , and better yet the WRITTERS , Producers and Supporters of a show like this to let it DIE with out at least finishing the Storyline to it ...

It would be like reading a good book for the last few week and the COMPANY that PRINTED the BOOK took the ENDING out so no one could read it ... Then tell the WRITTER that he can never tell anyone about the ending couse it was in his contract .....
                                Please don't willfully misread what I said. I would love to see an 11th season of Stargate, but, and this is key, I can understand a network wanting to end a 10 year run of a show. Every year a show stays on, the costs escalate. Do notice that I placed an emphasis on network. The storytellers are MGM, and if they have more story to tell, then I have more story to see. The difference is that I, personally, don't care what format they put it in. A film's fine, a mini-series or 3 works. It doesn't have to be a 22 ep format series for me to be happy. I'd rather quality story.

My question in what has now been merged into this thread was why doesn't Skiffy get to cancel a show that has been on for 10 years? I don't understand how fans develop a vehement sense of entitlement. I love quality entertainment, and I want to see as much as possible, but never for one moment do I believe that networks, or PTB, or anyone else owes it to me. They make television to make money, and when they think they aren't making enough money for what the television they are making costs them, then they have a right to stop making it.

I think it blows that Skiffy cancelled the show, but I also get that 10 years is a long damn time in TV Land, and maybe, just maybe, this will allow the storytellers to tell their best stories...which is all I ultimately care about. Skiffy isn't teh ev0L. They're just a company doing business, and they made a business decision. It's okay for fans to think that decision sucked, but they need to keep it in the context of the business world that it was made in. Focus on telling, and more importantly showing, MGM that Stargate continues to be the viable franchise that they know it is. Vilifying Skiffy is a waste of time and energy, and if you guys want Stargate to continue, then you really shouldn't be wasting either that time or that energy.

As to your book analogy, it's not terribly analagous. If the book is already released then the last chapter is there. A better one would be if a series, out to several books, was left unfinished as a "sudden" decision by the publisher. And yes, that would suck, but them's the breaks. Also, in that case, a writer has the option of seeking another publishing house.

Also, Skiffy cancelled the show with the final episodes unfilmed yet. TPTB have time to set the stage for whatever new format they are seeking to transition to. And Skiffy hasn't contractually bound MGM and TPTB to a non-disclosure agreement. They have told MGM that the same show can't be shopped to another network as the show exists now. Those are in no way the same thing. Skiffy, again, has a right to protect what they paid for, because, they paid for it. That doesn't mean that MGM can't continue to tell the story, just that they can't take Stargate SG-1, in it's current 22 episode format, to another network and start working on episode 11x1.
                                Last edited by Shep; 05 September 2006, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X