Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I must have missed that episode; I can't wait till season 9 comes out on DVD!

Comment

I don't even see why we don't take the gate back as our own. It was ours, then the Russians stole it from the bottom of the ocean before we could get there. I don't understand why that makes it belong to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Clinux
        Spoiler:
        In one of the Seaon 9 episodes the Russians talk about taking the stargate back,
        why haven't we had a new one built? I believe the Tollans (I know the Tollans were wiped out) knew how to build the gates and I'm sure the Asquard know how; the Asquard help us build are spaceships I'm sure they could help us build a gate.

But I guess if we got a new gate, we would have to give Russia thier gate back and therefore loose the monopoly on gate travel and risk bad realtions with our allies (alien) as the Russians would probably be less tactful in dealing with other civilizations.
        hallowed are spoiler tags
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by rob1990
          I don't even see why we don't take the gate back as our own. It was ours, then the Russians stole it from the bottom of the ocean before we could get there. I don't understand why that makes it belong to them.
          Originally posted by Wikipedia.com
          Salvage and treasure salvage

When property is lost at sea and rescued by another, the rescuer is entitled to claim a salvage award on the salved property. There is no "life salvage." All mariners have a duty to save the lives of others in peril without expectation of reward. Consequently salvage law applies only to the saving of property.

There are two types of salvage: contract salvage and pure salvage, which is sometimes referred to as "merit salvage." In contract salvage the owner of the property and salvor enter into a salvage contract prior to the commencement of salvage operations and the amount that the salvor is paid is determined by the contract. The most common salvage contract is called a "Lloyds Open Form Salvage Contract."

In pure salvage, there is no contract between the owner of the goods and the salvor. The relationship is one which is implied by law. The salvor of property under pure salvage must bring his claim for salvage in federal court, which will award salvage based upon the "merit" of the service that was performed.

Pure salvage claims are divided into "high-order" and "low-order" salvage. In high-order salvage, the salvor exposes himself to the risk of injury or damage to his equipment in order to salvage the damaged ship. Examples of high-order salvage are boarding a sinking ship in heavy weather, boarding a ship which is on fire, raising a ship or boat which has already sunk, or towing a ship which is in the surf away from the shore. Low-order salvage occurs where the salvor is exposed to little or no personal risk. Examples of low-order salvage include towing another vessel in calm seas, supplying a vessel with fuel, or pulling a vessel off a sand bar. Salvors performing high order salvage receive substantially greater salvage award than those performing low order salvage.

In both high- and low-order salvage the amount of the salvage award is based first upon the value of the property saved. If nothing is saved, or if additional damages is done, there will be no award. The other factors to be considered are the skills of the salvor, the peril to which the salvaged property was exposed, the value of the property which was risked in effecting the salvage, the amount of time and money expended in the salvage operation etc.

A pure or merit salvage award will seldom exceed 50 percent of the value of the property salved. The exception to that rule is in the case of treasure salvage. Because sunken treasure has generally been lost for hundreds of years, while the original owner (or insurer, if the vessel was insured) continues to have an interest in it, the salvor or finder will generally get the majority of the value of the property. While sunken ships from the Spanish Main (such as Nuestra Señora de Atocha in the Florida Keys) are the most commonly thought of type of treasure salvage, other types of ships including German submarines from World War II which can hold valuable mercury which was used as ballast, American Civil War ships (the USS Maple Leaf in the St. Johns River, and the USS Monitor in Chesapeake Bay), and sunken merchant ships (the SS Central America off of Cape Hatteras) have all been the subject of treasure salvage awards. Due to refinements in side-scanning sonars, many ships which were previously missing are now being located and treasure salvage is now a less risky endeavor than it was in the past, although it is still highly speculative.
          So while the US does still technically have legal ownership rights to the Stargate (taken from Germany as a spoil of war following World War II, who in turn, gained custody of it from Egypt during an archaelogical dig in 1928), we'd have to bring the issue before an international maritime court.

And those things are rather public.

So the Air Foce can't simply "take" the Stargate back.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
            So while the US does still technically have legal ownership rights to the Stargate (taken from Germany as a spoil of war following World War II, who in turn, gained custody of it from Egypt during an archaelogical dig in 1928), we'd have to bring the issue before an international maritime court.

And those things are rather public.

So the Air Foce can't simply "take" the Stargate back.
            True, but they could just begin using one of the many gates they stole from Baal. And if they use it with a DHD, it'll become the alpha gate.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by rob1990
              The whole "Finders Keepers" rule, maybe.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
                True, but they could just begin using one of the many gates they stole from Baal. And if they use it with a DHD, it'll become the alpha gate.
                Well, those Gates all belong to other planets.

It wouldn't be very good guyish of us to take one that belongs to someone else. Especially when we had to let a Gate get destroyed in the process of getting the others back.

Besides, there'd be a new POO symbol, and we'd have to change out all those flags and patches and things. And everyone likes the pyramid symbol way too much for that.

Comment

I say we take a the gate from the planet where the Unas live, what the hell does an Unas need a gate for anyway.

Comment

The SGC has found many planets with stargates that are uninhabited, so why not just take the gate from one of those planets (using the Odessy or the Daedalus), and we would have the dhd, so our gate would still be earth's primary gate even if the Russians try to use theirs.

Comment

That's still stealing. It's like taking the sunglasses off of a blind guy's face. He doesn't need it, does he?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                        That's still stealing. It's like taking the sunglasses off of a blind guy's face. He doesn't need it, does he?
                        That would be so frelling funny if someone did that.

Yes, I'm a bastage.

Comment

It is not stealing if the planet is uninhabited. If there is no one on the planet, then they can't claim ownership of it, and if no one owns it, then its not stealing.

Comment

I know this sounds stupid, but it was once owned by the Ancients, and it's there for a reason.

For example, what if the planet in Lost City Part 1 was uninhabited and someone else took the gate because of it? We would've never found the Ancient Repository and would've been destroyed by Anubis.

Comment

I know this sounds stupid, but it was once owned by the Ancients, and it's there for a reason.

For example, what if the planet in Lost City Part 1 was uninhabited and someone else took the gate because of it? We would've never found the Ancient Repository and would've been destroyed by Anubis.
                              We could have used Prometheus. Or we could even take a stargate from a planet that doesn't want theirs, like the one in "Spirits".

Comment

Sure we can take the prommie to the planet, but why would we go there if we hadn't found the repository by sending a probe to that planet via the gate?

Comment

Working...
                                X