Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what GDO really stands for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or

DIWOTI = damn it walter opening the iris
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
      or

DIWOTI = damn it walter opening the iris
      Too much of a mouthful. I like W.A.C. better.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
        Too much of a mouthful. I like W.A.C. better.
        i'm sure someone would shink it dow to something

just like the zat gun
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

ok i think we've established that GDO stands for garage door opener but what does MRE stand for? and where does the term "on your six" come from?
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
            ok i think we've established that GDO stands for garage door opener but what does MRE stand for? and where does the term "on your six" come from?
            I don't know what MRE stands for but for "on your six" ....

If you imagined there was a giant clock on the floor and you were facing the 12... the 6 would be behind you, so when someone is "right behind you" they say they are "on your six"

Comment

MRE = Meals Ready to Eat ; alternatively 'meals rejected by ethiopians.'

"On your six" comes from a clock face. If you're standing in the middle, 12 is your front, six is your back, 3 is your right and 9 is your left. It started in flight for quickly identifying directions.
              "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
              " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
              Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Originally posted by 4prettierships
                I don't know what MRE stands for but for "on your six" ....

If you imagined there was a giant clock on the floor and you were facing the 12... the 6 would be behind you, so when someone is "right behind you" they say they are "on your six"
                I never understood where they got that from intill I was watching it with subtitles, and it said' "On your 6:00". Then it allll made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                  N.I.D. stands for NOTHING AT ALL. It's just a name. Like the Asgard or whatever. They explain it in one of the commentaries for season 6. Originally, they were gonna call it the N.A.R.D (as in "Not A Real Department"), but something prevented them from doing that.
                  The Asgard aren't just a name, dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                    darn, you beat me! it did always annoy me that they named a RACE after a WORLD.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi
                      That's what I was 'bout to say. It's weird what you can learn about the naming of things on Stargate from reading a book about the history of philosophy.

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

A couple more for ya

BC (As in BC-303/304) - Battle Cruiser
                        F (As in F-302) - Fighter
                        X (As in X-301 etc.) - eXperimental.

Someone actually asked me once "What does SGC stand for?". Mong.

And I think NID does stand for National Intelligence Division... Although it hasnt been given out in the show, it does make sense.
                        Steve Hanmer

Stargate Omega

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                          darn, you beat me! it did always annoy me that they named a RACE after a WORLD.
                          Well, I have a feeling they decided on Asgard because it sounds a little cooler than Aesir.

I always wanted to know why people on Asgard protected planets called the Goa'uld "Ettins." I mean, I know why, a Goa'uld is one body with two heads... but you can't actually see the Snake's. I figure a much more fitting name would've been Jormungand (singular and plural), or maybe even Svartalf(ar).

And they probably should've refered to Jaffa as Thralls, Karls or Jarls (I'm not sure if they did or not).

I've also never understood why it was Heimdall who was conducting the cloning research, and not Idun.

Comment

I think Heimdoll is the norse god of mischeif. Maybe it just fitted.

(Someone correct me if im wrong about the above statement, i may not be in sound state of mind, lol)
                            Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                            LOVE HIM-> DT
                            ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

yes thats correct, daniel jackson even said that in fragile balance

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper One
                                There are lots of threads on this (use the search). But since I'm already here:

GDO: Garage Door Opener
                                DHD: Dial Home Device
                                IDC: Identification Code
                                R&D: Reseach and Development (I think)
                                NID: Well... nobody really knows But its probably National Intelligence Department or something
                                Originally NID was going to be NRD, standing for "not a real deptartment" but Brad Wright thought it sounded stupid and changed it to NID.

I found that out on a audio commentary (I think it was season 4).
                                I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Working...
                                X