Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Stargate ever be as big as Star Trek?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate would need a feature film in order to stand a chance of getting to Star Treks popularity.

I don´t see a film being very likely as things stand so I´d have to say that it´s very unlikely that SG will ever reach the same heights as ST.

Comment

I think that StarGate just needs more exposure. There needs to be things like Merchandising and etc.
      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd
        Stargate would need a feature film in order to stand a chance of getting to Star Treks popularity.

I don´t see a film being very likely as things stand so I´d have to say that it´s very unlikely that SG will ever reach the same heights as ST.
        It does have a feature Film. Thats how it all got started.
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Trek marked the birth of the spinoff and the convention (check me if I'm wrong on the latter.) But Gate outshines it in endurability, tucked safe in the bosom of cable tv.
          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
          Caboose: They could be worse?
          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
            I think that StarGate just needs more exposure. There needs to be things like Merchandising and etc.
            ...And 28 seasons & 11 feature films

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
              It does have a feature Film. Thats how it all got started.
              I should have said that SG-1 needs a feature film

The original movie is just so unrelated to the show that it really doesn´t count.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                its not on regular network television - so it'll never be as big - it won't reach the bigger crowd.
                star trek was on FOX. TNG, DS9, were both on FOX. Voyager was on UPN - which can still be grabbed with a regular antenna and no cable.

that right there is the simplest, and #1 reason stargate will never be as popular as star trek.
                That's odd...because I can catch SG-1 re-runs here on our Fox station...as a matter of fact...this weekend I saw an Atlantis re-run on Fox.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't think it will -- any show to reach ST calibre would take some feature films and a lot of hype. SG has been out for 10 years now, and I don't think it has that 'fresh' juice to create an enough stir to rise to the top. If it hasn't made it yet, it never will.

I think ST being one of the first sci-fi shows to air resulted in it's popularity.
                  Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

Answer: No.

The key factor is "timing".

Star Trek came at a time when there were only three TV networks and no cable. Even canceled shows had more viewers than hit shows do now.

Now, the audience is too dispersed and divided.

The timing also meant that Star Trek could grow with baby boomers. Boomers were kids and teenagers when they first got into the show on NBC. They were the prime movie-going age when they decided to make a Star Trek movie.

Now boomers are entering their 50's and aren't as attractive to marketers.

Half of Stargate's audience now is over 46 and it doesn't attract many young viewers.

Comment

Hopefully not. like Star Trek but probley bigger and they will end it when its no longer a craze in stead of draging the show on when no ones watching as in Star Trek.
                      Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
                      Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
                      new enemy of the Ori
                      At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

StarGate also needs more spinoffs.

~StarGate: SG-1
                        ~StarGate: Atlantis
                        ~StarGate: Horizons (please make this into a show)
                        ~StarGate: Legacy (prequel type featuring the Alterans/Ori aka Ancients, how about we get a show about the creators of the StarGate?)
                        ~StarGate: Argo (a new class of earth built ship travels the galaxies in search for Ancients technology scattered in the cosmos; think of it as a mix between Babylon 5: Crusade and Star Trek: Voyager)
                        http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                          StarGate also needs more spinoffs.

~StarGate: SG-1
                          ~StarGate: Atlantis
                          ~StarGate: Horizons (please make this into a show)
                          ~StarGate: Legacy (prequel type featuring the Alterans/Ori aka Ancients, how about we get a show about the creators of the StarGate?)
                          ~StarGate: Argo (a new class of earth built ship travels the galaxies in search for Ancients technology scattered in the cosmos; think of it as a mix between Babylon 5: Crusade and Star Trek: Voyager)
                          You forgot Stargate: O'Neil, where General Jack O'Neil retires to his home on 742 Evergreen Terrace and works part time at the Newcleerer plant. Thats New-clee-er.

Comment

Working...
                          X