Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Stargate ever be as big as Star Trek?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Stargate ever be as big as Star Trek?

..in terms of popularity? for some reason i think SG-1 is unknown among the genral public but i know that is wrong....(2 million viewers a week!)

No, it does not appear that it will be.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I agree with AGateFan. As much fun as Stargate is to watch, I can't envision it ever being as popular as Star Trek. Granted, Trek has been around for much longer and didn't gain it's massive following until after it had been off the air for quite some time. But Stargate seems to have found a much narrower niche in the fan following.

I don't think it matters if it ever becomes as large as Trek. So long as people enjoy Stargate it doesn't make any difference.

Comment

its not on regular network television - so it'll never be as big - it won't reach the bigger crowd.
        star trek was on FOX. TNG, DS9, were both on FOX. Voyager was on UPN - which can still be grabbed with a regular antenna and no cable.

that right there is the simplest, and #1 reason stargate will never be as popular as star trek.

Comment

I would like to think so, but its unlikely, Star Trek has become iconic in scifi

SG is brilliant and has attracted probably the best group of fans, but its quite a niche show, and because of that, it cant really appeal to a mainstream audience. but i quite like the fact that its kinda small because it gives us gaters a sense of belonging and ownership over the thing if you get what i mean
          - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if it does officially or not. I already hold it in as high esteem as I do Star Trek : TNG. No matter what, Stargate has brought wonder and happiness to countless fans worldwide. That's all that really matters to me.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

maybe in the future SG-1, Atlantis or maybe even a new series will be broadcast on one of the Big 4 (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS)?

You never know. Couldn't do worse than some new series being made now.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
              24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
              Both heavily admined.

Comment

Let's see, Star Trek is about 40 years old, right? Ask us again in, say, 30 years and we'll see what the legacy of Stargate has been.
                sigpic
                "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Here in belgium, i think most of the youth know about stargate. Offcourse star trek is more known partially because of its time span(if you combine all the series/movies).
                  42'nd Street - Points of view

"Looking forward to season 38 of sg1"

Comment

If it spans five series it might be. But it doesn't matter that much to me, I enjoy the show for what it is.

Comment

The simple anwser is no. Star Trek was the first and will always have a slightly higher ranking in most people's minds just for that reason alone.

Comment

Stargate isn't star trek. Yes it was frist, and will always have that nastila, star gate has been something new, and has become the LONGEST RUNNING SHOW in sci fi for the US. Though it hard to give trends It will continue to GROW so I expect it will have a strong following as years go on. Especilly if it gets a movie seris after the show runs, even if it doesn't it ran for nine and is getting a tenth year, and if it continues to do well next year even more people will take notice. So I think the show could be even bigger in time.
                        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Enterprise was finally cancelled with an average viewership of 3.1 million in its final year, I think. It drew 12 million on debut with a first season average of 6 million or so.
                          Scifi channel celebrate if Gate can get near 2 million viewers in any one week.
                          That should give Gate lovers a bit of perspecive.
                          It is a bit like comparing an elephant to an ant.

Comment

It won't reach Trek's status- while most people around here aren't fans of Star Trek, at least they've heard of it . Stargate just brings blank stares which is sad considering something like The Bachelor sparks all sorts of conversation.

Comment

I think it already is, most people do at least know of Stargate the same way they know of Star Trek. Where it counts though is popularity and fanbase and while Trek has a massively loyal fanbase Stargate does seem to be more popular and has been for awhile as Star Trek has really fallen from grace since the days of Voyager after the high it reached when DS9 was still running. I grew up with Star Trek and was always a major fan but honestly I could care less about it now, there's better options out there these days and I do not have blind loyalty.

Now the significant question would be if it will ever reach Star Wars status, and the answer to that would be a major "no".

Comment

Working...
                              X