This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats in a name?

Ok, I really want to know the answer to this since its bugged me since I first saw the movie: Did the Asgard/Goa'uld, Aboriginal Shapeshifters, ect. take the names of the gods of the time, or were those their names originally? We know that Tonane's aliens were given names by the natives, they said so themselves! Lets not forget that any sufficiently advanced technology seems like magic!
    [email protected]
    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
    One nation under dog
    There of which I stand alone
    A face in the crowd
    Unsung, against the mold
    Without a doubt
    Singled out
    The only way I know

I can't recall the episode (but I'm certain someone will!) wherein they explain that the Goa'uld took the names of the pre-existing belief system gods.
    sigpic

Comment

Movie says the Goa'uld created belief systems, series says they adopt. It comes up in Demons when they talk about the Goa'uld imitating God.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

That's one of the big mysteries of Stargate. Daniel addressed it in "Hathor."

"I think she IS Hathor -- Or at least the Goa'uld who took on the PERSONA of Hathor."

Comment

If they did take on their names & personas, then what I want to know is what were their names beforehand? Did they have names beforehand?

Comment

Originally posted by shelsfc
            If they did take on their names & personas, then what I want to know is what were their names beforehand? Did they have names beforehand?
            Mmmm. Interesting question.

I always thought that the goa'uld didn't have names before hand because they didn't communicate with eachother. I mean, how could they, they only shriek annoyingly.
            Godspeed, Don.

Comment

Yu: Hey! Kev the Goa'uld! What's up.
              Ba'al: How many times must I tell you to call me Ba'al in front of the proles, Winston?
              Yu: Ah, bite me.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

True, true! Has it been said whether or not the goa'uld are actually sentient before they take hosts? I suppose they must be if Sho'nac & Teal'c could communicate with their symbiotes, and Tanith was able to trick Sho'nac.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                  Ba'al: How many times must I tell you to call me Ba'al in front of the proles, Winston?
                  ROTFL. Ah. Priceless.
                  Godspeed, Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                    Love it!

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by shelsfc
                      True, true! Has it been said whether or not the goa'uld are actually sentient before they take hosts? I suppose they must be if Sho'nac & Teal'c could communicate with their symbiotes, and Tanith was able to trick Sho'nac.
                      There is numerous on-screen evidence to support this... Goa'uld are clearly all for self-preservation -- they would not just squiggle about on the ground and die if there was a host nearby, ready and ripe, for example. Also, I believe their lust for power is originally part of them but they need to manifest it throughout a host -- can't exactly wave your arms menacingly and make threats of invasion without a host body, eh?

The snakey things are like physically feeble brainbugs... all that knowledge needs a host to have its potential unlocked.
                      Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                      more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Yeah definitely the assumption that the SGC is under is the Goa'uld, who are by nature scavengers, stole the personas to get every knee to bow to them. And considering their track record, they just aren't that good at drawing the masses all by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
                          There is numerous on-screen evidence to support this... Goa'uld are clearly all for self-preservation -- they would not just squiggle about on the ground and die if there was a host nearby, ready and ripe, for example. Also, I believe their lust for power is originally part of them but they need to manifest it throughout a host -- can't exactly wave your arms menacingly and make threats of invasion without a host body, eh?

The snakey things are like physically feeble brainbugs... all that knowledge needs a host to have its potential unlocked.
                          Hmm...... since the Goa'ulds' first hosts were (apparently) the Unas, and now they prefer humans/jaffa (who are more advanced culturally and cognitively), why don't they go for even more advanced races like the Asgard, Nox, etc? An Asgard Goa'uld would be truely scarey. Or, would the Asgard mind overpower the Goa'uld? Maybe humans just provide an adequate brain capacity and opposible thumbs.

Comment

So if the symbiotes assume the names of the gods, then how do they know the names? Do the Jaffa/priestesses read to them from the Big Book of Godly Names every night while they're developing? Do their mommies and daddies pull them from their pouches one day and say "Psst! Serquet would be a good name"? Or is it a genetic heritage thing and they just instinctively know the names of every god and goddess? Even if you grant that, how do you prevent them from taking names that have already been claimed? How embarrassing would it be to run into another god with the same name?

Goa'uld: Kneel before me, pitiful mortals! I have conquered your planet! You will all worship me! DAGON!
                            Slave: Forgive me, o god! I am too foolish to understand your divine wisdom! But... didn't you conquer us last week? And, uh... you looked different then...
                            Goa'uld: What? Dammit! That's the second time this year!

Comment

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

HAHAHA... actually you have a good point there. It would make for an interesting story to have two Goa'uld, in their hosts, fight for the "rights" to a "cool name". I believe it's safe to say that ancient Earth mythology is part of the Goa'uld genetic memory but more recent history is only something someone like Seth would possess. Or alternatively, a Goa'uld who is presumed dead but takes a new host but must PROVE it to his/her Jaffa because they are wary of the new form.

It kind of makes sense that the System Lords mostly have the names of well-known assumed deities, because the good ones go for the long term like Yu. Just like Methos on Highlander. However, I wouldn't mind some "new blood" or another warring faction of Goa'uld who were tired of being cannibalized by their fellow snakeypeople.

Mac: Yeah, there have GOT to be more advanced hosts for the Goa'uld. Nirrti was working on it but her plans went over the rainbow, so to speak!
                              Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                              more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Working...
                              X