This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chutzpah
    I'm not much of a fan of the movie idea. I would perfer a big 2 parter, maybe even over three episodes. There are a number of reasons, movies in New Zealand always get released about 6 months to a year after America, if it even gets realsed at a cinema at all.

Ps. Earthwind, you think you could make your signature smaller?
    yeah, and three episodes is about the size of a movie in it self.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Just think of how hard this would be on not only the dedicated fans, but also the casual or new viewers? Person A has never seen SG-1, only the Stargate movie, he sees parts two and three of Devlin's Stargate trilogy and then says, "hey, this is great, I'm gonna watch SG-1." Person A turns on Sci-fi Friday and... wtf? This isn't what I saw at all? Then they come here to Gateworld, spouting millions of WTFs and with their caps lock probably morbidly stuck, and some nice Gateworlder begins to explain, "well you see, what you saw was the continuation of the Stargate movie in movie form, of course the 10 seasons of SG-1 and three seasons of Atlantis are also continuations of the movie but a different continuation, they're all based on the same thing but they're 100% different"

Then, Person A promptly posts a thread asking who the Furlings might be and then disappears into the night.

(There is no Person B in my story, F*** Person B, he stole my wallet)

Comment

My opinion:

While I respect Devlin for the orginal idea, I felt the movie was OK... not great. In my eyes

SG1 > Stargate movie
        RDA > Kurt Russel
        M shanks > Spader

my reasoning: The movie introduced some pretty cool ideas like the Stargate itself, Daniels theories that the pyramids were built by alients, Aliens posing as gods, ETC.

However, SG1 series took these ideas and expanded on them to make a universe. Not only that... the character depth and development is sooo much greater in SG1.

Kurt Russell.. was too quiet.. often times pretty bland. RDA is a vibrant character that shines whether he is acting a serious scene or a humorous scene.

So many reasons I could give, why I feel SG-1 was a huge leap forward. While its not Devlin's "original vision", its an expansion of his idea, he should accept this. I can't say I wouldnt watch the movies if Devlin made his seperate SG idea, I feel that the movies would be soo much stronger if created by the SG-1 cast and crew.

Comment

What iam worred about that if they do make stargate the movie 2 and 3 and if they are big hits will mgm just forget about stargate sg1 and there plans for a new movie and searies i would see the movies but am not shure if they should be set apart from the sg1 universe
          sigpic
          Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
          Metal gear fan

Comment

I would 100million% rather see an SG-1 movie. For god sakes he is going to toss aside 10 years of extremley brilliant sci fi history becuase it doesn't fit with 'his vision'? This, and the possible ratings for both shows which tottaly not deserved have really pi**ed me off today

Comment

Is there even a precedent for this kind of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit
                I would 100million% rather see an SG-1 movie. For god sakes he is going to toss aside 10 years of extremley brilliant sci fi history becuase it doesn't fit with 'his vision'? This, and the possible ratings for both shows which tottaly not deserved have really pi**ed me off today
                i agrey with you 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% how can you make a alternative conclishon to movie which has already had the best tv show finsh off the story line and rda should play o'neill rather than kirk russle
                sigpic
                Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                Metal gear fan

Comment

I just read this on the home page -

Devlin also believes that his original mythology can coexist with the hit TV series, the events of which picked up one year after the end of the film. "I think the series could still live at the end of the third sequel," he said. "So we're going to try to not tread on their stories."

ROFL!! A bit cocky of him to assume that his sequels could be some sort of a threat to SG1 & SGA! Considering how successful the series have been, I would have imagined it would be the other way around. I wouldn't particularly have any problem with the original sequels being made...I probably wouldn't go to see them mind you - I didn't really think much of the first one!!

Comment

A movie would be great, but only if it is between seasons and it doesnt really relate to the TV series. This could mean same SGA/GS-1 team but a new enemy who is defeted in the movie. They could always open some questions in the series befoure the movie, to be answered in the movie.

--Gaz--

Comment

i think its a great idea to have a second and third movie. i never considered the movie to being the begining of the series since there were so many differences. and i would like to see how he invisioned the stargate universe to go. the only way it will inflicked on the series is if people let it so dont let it. i will watch them both seperatly and enjoy them for what they are and not try to find the flaws inbetween the two like i know many of the people on this forum will.

Comment

Devlin has made a bogus statement. " He thinks the movie trilogy and the tv series can coexist, with the tv series starting after the third movie." One little problem with that. He says "the sequel takes place 12 years later." "Children of the gods" takes place a year or so later. See the problem?

Comment

I watch alot of anime myself and in anime the movies rarely have anything to do with the TV side of it. That said I can always view it as another dimension version of the events one thats closer to the actual events of the movie becasue the fact is there are alot of differences from first movie to series.
                          The enemy has spoken

Comment

I'm sort of interested in seeing where Devlin wanted to go with the movie franchise, but I can see how it would be potentially confusing for two different continuities to be going on at the same time. However, while Stargate SG-1 is very popular within a certain group of people (us!), I'm not sure how popular it is with the general public. I think most of those people have heard of Stargate, but they don't (and probably never will) watch the series religiously and so they don't really know what's going on. Anyways, I guess if it really is confusing, it can always be explained away as another quantum reality, similar to but different than our own.

The other benefit to having a movie based on the original Stargate movie continuity is that viewers don't have to watch the entire Stargate series to know what's going on. The average movie-goer does not want to spend over a hundred hours just getting caught up.

The only thing that kind of leaves me feeling a little weird is that I think this snubs Wright and the actors of SG-1 a little bit. They've worked hard over years to establish the show as it is and it would be cool to have them get star in a movie. But maybe they're fine with that. Whatever the case, it'll be interesting to follow this for the next few months and see what develops.

Comment

Originally posted by ultness
                              My opinion:

While I respect Devlin for the orginal idea, I felt the movie was OK... not great. In my eyes

SG1 > Stargate movie
                              RDA > Kurt Russel
                              M shanks > Spader

my reasoning: The movie introduced some pretty cool ideas like the Stargate itself, Daniels theories that the pyramids were built by alients, Aliens posing as gods, ETC.

However, SG1 series took these ideas and expanded on them to make a universe. Not only that... the character depth and development is sooo much greater in SG1.

Kurt Russell.. was too quiet.. often times pretty bland. RDA is a vibrant character that shines whether he is acting a serious scene or a humorous scene.

So many reasons I could give, why I feel SG-1 was a huge leap forward. While its not Devlin's "original vision", its an expansion of his idea, he should accept this. I can't say I wouldnt watch the movies if Devlin made his seperate SG idea, I feel that the movies would be soo much stronger if created by the SG-1 cast and crew.
                              Yes, I agree. I didn't like the original movie so much, but I really loved the ideas and concepts introduced in the movie. I was very pleased with the tv spinoff.

Sequels to the movie at this point just seem weird. Like one of those Alternative Universe plots.

Comment

Originally posted by nothing croovus
                                Devlin has made a bogus statement. " He thinks the movie trilogy and the tv series can coexist, with the tv series starting after the third movie." One little problem with that. He says "the sequel takes place 12 years later." "Children of the gods" takes place a year or so later. See the problem?
                                Yep, those were my first thoughts after reading that article.
                                I have soo many conflicting thoughts with this whole idea. First of all, where was Devlin the last 10 years??? Part of me thinks that this guy i choosing to do this now because the series is popular and he will benefit from the series popularity. Its almost as if hes using the series fan base to boost his profit.. YET he does not want to pay his respects to the series.

A movie based on the SG1 / SGA universe would be soo much more interesting... this just bothers me...

Comment

Working...
                                X