Star Trek Ships vs. Stargate Ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
    None of that matters, it's described, sensor readings are mentioned, which is more than sufficient, you think any random person watching the show knows what the damage should or shouldn't look like, the producers don't have to make it perfectly accurate, they just need to say what's happening.
    Yes that is exactly what he was implying. SG after the Mark IX explosion in Beachhead the image clearly shows the molten rock, etc.
    you think any random person watching the show knows what the damage should or shouldn't look like
    That was exactly what I was looking for when I was watching the episode and I didn't see a fireball in which explosions occur I didn't see the planet damaged at all and in my previous post I have only watched some episodes of ST. Sensor readings don't matter if the planet in question is not damaged from visuals. In SG beachhead the planet sensor reading was that the rocks were turned into molten rock and/or plasma, there is visuals that the planet was indeed turned. Sensor readings maybe incorrect, descriptions don't really image anything, and we need more than 2 pieces of evidence that the planet in question has that. The Prometheus sensors were mentioned not getting a accurate reading of the planet in question surface. In ST we have no visual which cancels anything else out as I rely on visuals to calculate anything and many others also require visuals to determine how powerful something is. Visuals also determine the firepower in the game Star Trek bridge commander.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by darth_timon View Post

Missiles would be lethal. The earliest missiles developed by the SGC were 1GT a piece, and they have since been refined. The exact yields are not known, but even if the missiles only went up 1GT per class, that would give 304s 8GT missiles, which, fired at the sort of ranges ST ships fight, would be easily able to find their targets- and one such missile would destroy a Federation ship.

Beam weapons just make this a joke. Whereas the Mark 8 missiles (and the combined firepower of several Hataks) did squat to Ori shields, the beam weapons were able to punch through them, suggesting they significantly more powerful. Again, one-shot kills for Tauri ships.
      Where did you get 1 kill from? It takes 3 shots to destroy a 304(Korolev) before unending.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
        Let me defend a little star trek , ok can i start , great .

Red mater , beat a topedo using that , also in ST XI we've seen the Enterprise taking out the torpedoes , now i would love to see something stronger then red matter in SG
        Open a wormhole to a black hole and bye bye ST when we jump to hyperspace. Have a Ori beachhead while connected to a blackhole in another galaxy and wait for it to encompass the entire planet and then boom the planet is now a micro-singularity
        sigpic

Comment

Goa'uld Hataks, with 1.3GT cannons at a minimum (as proven from SG1's 'Beach Head'), may or may not be the result of naquadah- but it is still very much an assumption that Starfleet could use naquadah to power their weapons. SG Earth couldn't actually achieve this without help from the Asgard, so there's no reason to assume the Federation would enjoy instant success.
          Please rewatch the episode of SG1 season 6 Episode 11 Prometheus. The Prometheus was still being built and it was running through hyperdrive tests assuming it was designed by Samantha Carter it was bloody designed by her so why do they need a Asgard to help with the hyperdrive. Samantha Carter designed the buffer as well to help it not overload therefore I believe from the episode I have watched of ST the Tau'ri are slightly more advanced than the Federation. Ok have the core overload in the Federations face then done their systems would be affected by the EMP generated by the core.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsujin View Post
            Since you seem to have pulled up a transcript of only present actors, go ACTUALLY watch that episode and around 16 minutes in you will hear a recording of THOR give an rundown(cut short) of the Biliskner class. In this recording you can clearly hear THOR say a MAXIMUM of 1 billion kj per neutrino ion generator. There is your canon evidence, stated by the one character you would have to believe since its his ship and he is the supreme commander of the Asgard fleet he would know.
            I have watched that episode over and over and I distorted hear a single Neutrio-ion generator produces at maximum is 1 Billion Joules per millisecond 1/1000th of a second
            therefore: 1,000,000,000,000 * 1000= 1,000,000,000,000,000 Joules per second
            therefore: 1,000,000,000,000,000 * 4= 4,000,000,000,000,000 Joules per second
            AND DON'T START ANYMORE ACCUSATIONS.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qingbest View Post
              Where did you get 1 kill from? It takes 3 shots to destroy a 304(Korolev) before unending.
              What I was referring to is that, based on my interpretation of the evidence, an Ori ship could one-shot kill a Federation ship.

Pheonix, so far debate.org is giving me no end of grief. They were meant to send me a verification text about two days ago and I am still waiting for it. I might start looking elsewhere.
              To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
              http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
              http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                What happens when a Hatak runs into a simple cargo ship and gets blasted from the sky?
                Judging by what the evidence has shown so far I think a shuttle from early Voyager era would be a significant threat to a Ha'Tak, something as tough and nimble as the Delta Flyer would own one farely easily IMO.
                They didn't lack the requirements though they needed a buffer to prevent a overload.
                The buffer system was unsafe, perhaps they could make it work to a point, but one little problem in the fabric of subspace and the ship could blow, even traveling at in galactic speeds.

The fact that Earth in Stargate can make a working hyperdrive means that it should be easy for any warp capable Star Trek race that's developed the technology for themselves, given that they will be much smarter than modern real world Humans who just stepped through the Stargate and explored the network for a few years, because of the fact that Starfleet has the combined shared knowledge of over a Hundred races and by the 24th centrury would have done so for around 200 years from Star Trek Enterprise.
                The Federation has extensive knowledge of physics and all kinds of astrological phenomena, so they will definitely be far beyond real world Earth Humans and pre-Asgard knowledge Tauri because of this very fact.
                The fact that the Tauri can even duplicate Asgard technology means that it can't be that advanced, not if a 21st century race can begin to understand how it functions.
                And watch Twin Destinies the shield was able to hold for about 17 hours (estimate) very close to a star.(approx. 100KM from it). Watch Blockade the Destiny is able to go through a blue supergiant to refuel but with difficulty and had most repairs undone.
                Ok I need to say this to you I have seen every episode of Stargate, which includes Stargate Universe, so I don't need to be told to watch this episode and that.
                It can come accross as very rude if you order someone to do things (ordering people to do anything on this Forum and apart from the odd missunderstanding or if someone has done so to me I will never do this) like this when they are a member of this forum, since you are a new member maybe you should pay attention to how you write things and perhaps if you want to know if someone has seen an episode of a particular part of the Stargate franchise just ask them, don't assume they haven't, which is what your demands of "watch Twin Destinies" and "watch Blockade" read like too me.
                This is the degradation of the ship and has traveled approx. 7 B LYs across the universe. And the battles it was and is in. It can hold up against the whatever aliens who attacked for 45 minutes before jumping to FTL. What about the binary pulsar that kept striking the shield and I know how to read some ancient and it says that the pulsar is approx. 100GW pre strike. Reference Divided, Incursion both parts and Intervention.
                I am aware Destiny is old, by the way there has been no reference for how long the ship has been out in the universe besides millions of years, so any estimate you give is just a guess, it's not based in fact, I do agree that there is no getting away from the fact that Destiny is probably the oldest automated ship in sci-fi, if not then it's one of a very few ships that can travel alone for such a length of time and still be funtioning and do the things it does.
                All of this is why I said that even Star Trek's toughest shields haven't been shown to do what Destiny's shields can do after such a long time of travel.

BTW I will say that 100 GWs is far weaker than many weapons used in ST and when the power's that low, unless there is some other mechanism in play straight power doing any level of damage to a ship is just plain wrong, photon torpedoes usually carry megatons in explosive yields (worked out by the weights of Anitmatter/Matter they carry) and there's plenty of space to fit even gigatons worth per torpedo.
                I know the have never posted in years, but the reason I only started to post is because I am 13
                I believe many of the things you've quoted in those older posts may have been referenced more recently, by people that are far more likely to reply, if you quote someone who hasn't posted in a long time, in any thread on gateworld, well it can come accross to the people in this forum and this thread that you aren't being genuine, that you're trying to post a reply to someone who will never reply, so you're arguments will go unchallanged, even if underhand behavour is not your intention.
                I am aware that you have said you're 13, I am just letting you know as a new member of this forum of how things can come accross to people and how they may take your posts if you do things like quoting members who haven't been around in years.
                They can and they can't detect somethings without having a Xray in front of them.
                I probably should have explained that I was really referring to an actual symbiot implanted within a person, Xray machines have never had a problem detecting the actual Goauld snake and thus a far more advanced piece of technology that can scan down to a smaller scale than an Xray machine and recognise things that even MRI technology cannot would have no problem detecting a symbiot or bomb that can be detected by older, less advanced or powerful pieces of tech.
                Even long range sensors, being able to differentiate between different races from light years away should show us that the Goauld will not go unnoticed and the Federation would probably want proof that people aren't being held as a host against their own free will.

1. Teal'c dropped the Cargo ship behind Aunbis's fleet and on its way to the South pole.
                2. They didn't notice Teal'c's symboit until they had a scanner in front of him.
                Reference is Children of the Gods and Lost city
                This was in Stargate, using Xray technology and MRI scans it's easy to detect a symbiot in the normal way you'd scan bone fractures and other injuries.
                Star Trek sensors have been used to monitor internal injuries, so they are similar to those modern technologies, only sensors on a ship can scan pretty much every inch of the vessel's interior and can tell the life signs of people on a distant planet light years away, this has been shown throughout TNG, Voyager, DS9 and even The Original Series, perhaps the NX-01 even had similar capabilities in the series Enterprise.
                I haven't watched ST so don't start complaining.
                Ship against ship
                Odyssey against Sovereign would be a very clear outcome that the Odyssey would win.
                Daedalus against Sovereign would be a very cloudy judgement because of the firepower of the Daedalus.
                Telling people what to do is very rude, if you haven't seen Star Trek then how can you comment on a vs discussion/debate between SG and ST?

To compare some visual evidence from both shows for Stargate, to start off we have a reference from episodes of Stargate like Homefront where a group of Ha'Taks sent by the System Lords (commanded by Ba'al if I recall correctly) to take out Anubis's super ship.
                Anubis's ship's shields were reduced to 20% effectiveness (whatever that means), but the shield's still totally covering the top of the vessel, dropping them still required the full force of all of the fleet's weapons, so no reduced power on the attacking Ha'Taks, yet when some shots hit the ground, with nothing standing in their way (no hull or shield to blunt their force) all they do is destroy a few buildings, no high level, megaton scale flashes.
                We also have mutliple episodes where visuals are shown of shots being fired at the surface of planets and close ups with weapons doing only grenade level explosions on the ground.

Ori weapons have trouble taking out a small mountain with a few shots in Counterstrike and they do nothing but scorch a small amount or ground in Line In The Sand and these take out Ha'Taks with a single shot.

As evidence for Star Trek we have the NX-01 enterprise taking out a mountain larger than cheyyenne in Silent Enemy with it's phase cannons, this is the first Earth made vessel to feature energy weapons and the shot was achieved using an overload (it took out a couple of decks power conduits, but no damage was actually done to the weapon, everything was back up running and another shot of the same level was achieved later in the episode with minimal ill effects to the ship), with all standard technology as in power supply, energy grid of the ship and the actual weapon itself.
                In The Next Generations episode Legacy the Enterprise D cuts a shaft many times wider than a phaser beam shot (the array is apparently 3 meters wide and the beam is usually this thick, so visuals can put the width of the tunnel the phaser shot creates at 18 times the diameter of the phaser strip), the depth of the tunnel created from the vaporization of solid ground was 1600 meters.
                The NX-01 was in operation about 200 years before the Enterprise D and Enterprise D is I believe at least a decade older than the Sovereign class Enterprise E, so phaser strength will likely be much greater on a sovereign class ship.

A 304 class of ship is undoubtedly much tougher in the shields department than a Ha'Tak vessel, but those ships (which have only been shown to feature building destruct levels of firepower) can take down their shields within a few minutes of fire from a few of those Goauld ships, the fact that they were able to even touch a shield when all they've shown through visual displays is only enough power per shot to take out a building a few stories high means the shields of a Sovereign class ship will be significantly stronger since they can withstand attacks from vessels many times stronger than the NX-01, a ship that can destroy a large mountain.

When I look at things based off of visuals there really is no contest, Star Trek will win with ease, even against the toughest vessels that we can quantify from Stargate, Auroras, O'Neil class warships are never seen in action so can't really be used as a reference since there's no evidence for them.
                BTW can someone get a Repository of Knowledge chair and have the annoying simulation that has been running in my head get removed and deleted or download it to the computer and watch it.
                You'll have to find the Ancients and ask them.
                simple answer the cargo ship explodes and the hatak would be 'fine.'I guess
                See my reply to Morrismike, also being that you haven't watched Star Trek how can you judge, please watch the episodes in order to make an informed argument.

Comment

Where would they get the Naquadriah from? Ok more importantly where will they get the Neutronium that the Asgard technology is made from.
                  The only problem Stargate Earth seemed to have in creating hyperdrive technology was in generating the necessary power to open a hyperspace window, there was no mention made of Neutronium the original creation of hyperdrive technology before New Order part 2 if I recall correctly.

Yes Neutronium is obtained from solar panels but where will they get those.
                  I don't ever recall it being stated that Neutronium can be obtained from solar panels, as far as I'm aware it's a naturally ocurring metal in the SGverse, in reality I believe it's found in the heart of Neutron stars, which the Federation would have no problem acquiring if all it takes is to beam it from the center of a star, but given it was mentioned to be only a theoretical and artificial material in the episodes Relics (Star Trek The Next Generation) and I believe it was also mentioned in Think Tank (ST Voyager).
                  Still it's not hard for Earth to obtain in Stargate (since they mention it being on Planet's in veins in the ground and ), the same must be true for the Asgard and if it's easily obtainable by Earth in Stargate then it must be easy to obtain for races on the tech level of the Federation (transporter beaming, antigravity, shields,etc).

Yes thats only Ancient technology there has been no other incidences where in SG they can detect the Subspace dimension created by the hyperdrive. Ok what about the FTL on the Destiny assuming the material they use is hydrogen obtained from a star so where will they get the hydrogen and the materials that are usually obtained in a star?
                  Are you asking if the Federation can build a Destiny?
                  If the answer's yes then it's possible, the Federation gets hydrogen from Deuterium in regular water if I recall correctly, transwarp can allow for some very high speeds and the only reason the Federation isn't using it is because of a failed experiment in Kirk's time, but it is possible because other slightly more advanced races have it along with other methods of subspace/hyperspace style propulsion technologies.

How long can the Enterprise survive while in a star? Because Destiny can survive approx. 18 hours near the star in twin Destinies.
                  In Relics it sat on top of the photosphere of an active star, while flares were being shot near or at (it wasn't specified, although intensity of the number of flares was said to grow over the period the Enterprise was there, this wouldn't have been mentioned by Data if it wasn't an issue) the shields of the Enterprise D, they started off at 20% and the ship stayed in this region of the star for a couple of hours (exact times weren't given from what I remember).

I don't recall if Destiny was stated to actually go into the photosphere or whether it entered the corona or some other region.
                  Can Federation ships generate ZPM power levels or what about the power levels of the project Icarus, which was used to dial Destiny and exploded due to orbital bombardment and the fact the power they need comes directly from the planets core.
                  Enterprise is mentioned in a reference within this thread (I don't remember the page number) to generate trillions of kilojoules worth of power, I'm not sure of ZPM power levels.
                  Antimatter payloads like that of the smart, long range, warp capable Cardassian missile Dreadnaught, in the episode of the same name in Star Trek Voyager, it carried a large enough explosive to destroy a moon upon detonation, this was easy for the Cardassians to get the materials for, ships within Star Trek can carry many times the payload of Dreadnaught in the form of Antimatter fuel, so the kind of power generation could reach such levels if enough matter and antimatter is used.
                  Given that a group like the Federation has thousands of ships, each carrying many square meters of antimatter, a single square meter of antimatter is referenced within this very thread to be the equivalent of 690 gigatons in explosive yield if it were to annihilate with the same quantity of matter.
                  Matter/Antimatter reactors are a source of power for many ST races, the federation in particular.
                  Romulan Warbirds of TNG era use a quantum singularity (subspace power) as their main power source.
                  All references to this info can be found on Memory Alpha or have been stated previously within this thread, with episodes stated.
                  Evidence is clearly there in the post or is it too long. I only favor SG side is because I have only seen a small number of ST episodes. If you want evidence play ST bridge commander and download the following: SG ship pack 1-3, Kobayshi Maru, and the Destiny ship pack. All have been confirmed by me to work and have accurate information(calculations on damage, etc). All we need to do is get a hive ship and get it to self destruct when its in the federation territory or we lure them to it and it can take enemies out in a 15000 meter radius(ref Stargate Atlantis The hive)
                  I won't go through that post because it's impossible to read, it's still too much of a block of text, maybe if you could simplify it.
                  BTW Stargate Bridge Command is not canon to ST, same as the books, only the shows are canon and figures obtained by watching the episodes, you don't have to go over every episode made, just take a look at links provided by or check out key points mentioned in this thread to take into consideration the actual evidence given.
                  Memory Alpha is a great source to point you to episodes, you can then find parts of eps on Youtube to show you the points of interest so you can gain a better perspective on Star Trek.

BTW Enterprise D has sat within spitting distance of the photosphere of an active star, while CMEs were being edjected near or at the ship's shields at 20% and it survived for hours doing this before being able to leave, there's zero chance a ship like a Hive blowing up would dent to Enterprise's shields, only a degree of depletion is likely IMO.

As far as the opening quastion goes in your block post, "can ST take Ori weapons", yes they could take this kind of firepower with relative ease.
                  Ori ships have trouble taking out small mounds of dirt and rock (Dakara in Counter Strike) and don't even create craters in the ground when striking a planet's surface (Line In The Sand), they aren't as powerful as a ship that can destroy a moutain (NX-01 Enterprise in Silent Enemy, Star Trek Enterprise), create a 1600 meter deep shaft over 3 meters wide in the ground with a few seconds of fire from the Enterprise D (Legacy TNG), a fleet of no more than 30 Cardassian and Romulan ships destroys 30% of a planet's crust in The Die Is Cast (Deep Space Nine).

Yes that is exactly what he was implying. SG after the Mark IX explosion in Beachhead the image clearly shows the molten rock, etc.
                  All we see is the area around the gate, nothing more and 100 miles of vaporization is what cam says, this doesn't have to mean a hundred miles of molten rock or more is exposed on the planet's surface.

That was exactly what I was looking for when I was watching the episode and I didn't see a fireball in which explosions occur I didn't see the planet damaged at all and in my previous post I have only watched some episodes of ST. Sensor readings don't matter if the planet in question is not damaged from visuals.
                  Visuals are added after diologue is created, they are an after thought in the eyes of the creators of each show, therefore diologue would be giving us the intention of the writers.
                  Visuals are rarely accurate.
                  In SG beachhead the planet sensor reading was that the rocks were turned into molten rock and/or plasma, there is visuals that the planet was indeed turned.
                  Visuals only give us a partial picture, that the area around the gate is like that, if diologue states that a wide area has been turned to molten rock then it is far more informative than the small visual, it doesn't give us a close image of the whole planet and even if it did visuals can be subject to what one person wants to show for entertainment purposes, rather than accuracy.

Sensor readings maybe incorrect, descriptions don't really image anything, and we need more than 2 pieces of evidence that the planet in question has that. The Prometheus sensors were mentioned not getting a accurate reading of the planet in question surface. In ST we have no visual which cancels anything else out as I rely on visuals to calculate anything and many others also require visuals to determine how powerful something is. Visuals also determine the firepower in the game Star Trek bridge commander.
                  If no one doubts those sensor readings then there is no reason to doubt their validity.
                  If someone doubts them, then given that the diologue is taken from the script it is the blue print of the episode and since visuals are added later they are subject to interpretation, thus they are not a concrete piece of evidence which can be reliable, not in the same way that diologue is.

Darth Timon was stating that he thought a 304 could one shot kill a Star Trek vessel, this is unsubstantiated, but you need to understand the context of people's posts before replying to them.

Open a wormhole to a black hole and bye bye ST when we jump to hyperspace. Have a Ori beachhead while connected to a blackhole in another galaxy and wait for it to encompass the entire planet and then boom the planet is now a micro-singularity
                  Federation sensors would detect such a desception.

Please rewatch the episode of SG1 season 6 Episode 11 Prometheus. The Prometheus was still being built and it was running through hyperdrive tests assuming it was designed by Samantha Carter it was bloody designed by her so why do they need a Asgard to help with the hyperdrive. Samantha Carter designed the buffer as well to help it not overload therefore I believe from the episode I have watched of ST the Tau'ri are slightly more advanced than the Federation. Ok have the core overload in the Federations face then done their systems would be affected by the EMP generated by the core.
                  The Tauri cannot be more advanced than the Federation since the Tauri started as a group that had no FTL technology, they could not get the technology to function safely without help, not a foolproof design, yet Earth in Star Trek has (the Phoenix in 2060 something) and has since improved it's own technology with and without the help of hundreds of races, they explore space with the intention of fully understanding the universe and have studied their Milky Way galaxy in depth.
                  The Federation has dealt with greater threats than Earth has come up against in the SGverse, with far more poweful weaponry, the evidencd shows that the only area they lack in compared to the Tauri is propulsion, which given that SG Humans can easily duplicate even intergalactic drives (understanding the technology and how to fix it) shows they are not that advanced and the technology isn't that difficult to reproduce, if it was uber complicated it would still be beyond the Tauri, given that they could make hyperdrive technology on the intergalactic level before they received their first matter converter.

Federation technology has never been shown to be suseptible to em interference, there is no proof from what I can recall of any episode of ST that such a thing would do anything.
                  Pretty much all of your strategies have no evidence to back them up, they are unsupported ideas that will in no way effect any vessel from the STverse.
                  Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 07 July 2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I have watched that episode over and over and I distorted hear a single Neutrio-ion generator produces at maximum is 1 Billion Joules per millisecond 1/1000th of a second
                    therefore: 1,000,000,000,000 * 1000= 1,000,000,000,000,000 Joules per second
                    therefore: 1,000,000,000,000,000 * 4= 4,000,000,000,000,000 Joules per second
                    AND DON'T START ANYMORE ACCUSATIONS.
                    I'm not sure what you mean by you distorted, did you mean you dispute the power levels Tetsujin has calculated?
                    BTW figures for Enterprise D's power generation capabilities have been given in this thread, I think they were put at trillions of joules.
                    No time figure was given for the Beliskner's power generation capabilties so all you can do is speculate on such figures.
                    Phoenix, I've set up a profile on debate.org. the sign up process is a bit long winded but I think it is the best site for our debate. I will try to address your question later
                    I thought you'd be setting up a new thread within gateworld.
                    It doesn't bother me about this discussion happening within gateworld's borders.
                    I'm working my way through some replies to posts in this thread, signing up to there will have to wait until I've had a look around the site and researched it a bit as I've seen that website before and I don't sign up and just give my personal email or other details about myself away freely to just any website.
                    I've also gotta do revision for a test I've gotta sit soon, so I'll have to give gateworld and this discussion a miss for a little while, will check back as soon as I'm done.

Comment

What I was referring to is that, based on my interpretation of the evidence, an Ori ship could one-shot kill a Federation ship.
                      I just saw that you've replied to this, I've put a reply in one of my last posts because you hadn't dealt with when I started writing a reply to qingbest's posts.

Pheonix, so far debate.org is giving me no end of grief. They were meant to send me a verification text about two days ago and I am still waiting for it. I might start looking elsewhere.
                      I'm pretty busy at the moment anyway, I'm sitting my driving theory test soon so have to do a lot of revision to be ready.
                      I did reply to a previous post, with all the replies I've just written, so you don't have to go looking for it I don't mind if we stay on Gateworld, it's easier for both of us, a new thread to deal with strategies the Goauld could use against the Federation could be the topic if you like, ,maybe make it a poll.
                      It's what I thought you were going to do before you said about Debate.org.

I'm quite particular about who I give personal details to, so I don't like signing up to other forums I've had no experience with.
                      Hopefully you understand.

Please let me know what you intend to do.

Comment

I just saw that you've replied to this, I've put a reply in one of my last posts because you hadn't dealt with when I started writing a reply to qingbest's posts.

I'm pretty busy at the moment anyway, I'm sitting my driving theory test soon so have to do a lot of revision to be ready.
                        I did reply to a previous post, with all the replies I've just written, so you don't have to go looking for it I don't mind if we stay on Gateworld, it's easier for both of us, a new thread to deal with strategies the Goauld could use against the Federation could be the topic if you like, ,maybe make it a poll.
                        It's what I thought you were going to do before you said about Debate.org.

I'm quite particular about who I give personal details to, so I don't like signing up to other forums I've had no experience with.
                        Hopefully you understand.

Please let me know what you intend to do.
                        Well, I think debate.org is a waste of time. We can start a new thread here (which would be easier to follow than 72+pages of this thread) for a one-on-one, like you were saying. The only thing is, this being a Stargate forum, people answering the poll would probably be more biased than if we were on neutral territory; I want people to vote for my argument, but not simply because they like one franchise over the other!

Comment

I have now set up a debate on a neutral site if anyone is interested: http://www.createdebate.com/debate/s...n_of_Star_Trek

Comment

Ok I need to say this to you I have seen every episode of Stargate, which includes Stargate Universe, so I don't need to be told to watch this episode and that.
                            It can come accross as very rude if you order someone to do things (ordering people to do anything on this Forum and apart from the odd missunderstanding or if someone has done so to me I will never do this) like this when they are a member of this forum, since you are a new member maybe you should pay attention to how you write things and perhaps if you want to know if someone has seen an episode of a particular part of the Stargate franchise just ask them, don't assume they haven't, which is what your demands of "watch Twin Destinies" and "watch Blockade" read like too me.
                            I am not ordering you to watch episodes I am merely asking you.

I am aware Destiny is old, by the way there has been no reference for how long the ship has been out in the universe besides millions of years, so any estimate you give is just a guess, it's not based in fact, I do agree that there is no getting away from the fact that Destiny is probably the oldest automated ship in sci-fi, if not then it's one of a very few ships that can travel alone for such a length of time and still be funtioning and do the things it does.
                            All of this is why I said that even Star Trek's toughest shields haven't been shown to do what Destiny's shields can do after such a long time of travel.
                            Destiny is a ship in the Ancient fleet, constructed and launched over fifty million years ago from Earth.[5]

BTW I will say that 100 GWs is far weaker than many weapons used in ST and when the power's that low, unless there is some other mechanism in play straight power doing any level of damage to a ship is just plain wrong, photon torpedoes usually carry megatons in explosive yields (worked out by the weights of Anitmatter/Matter they carry) and there's plenty of space to fit even gigatons worth per torpedo.
                            http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Destiny
                            Is what was said by Joseph Mallozzi.
                            Or is it suppose to be 100TW of a binary pulsar orbit. My understanding of Ancient is very rudimentary and therefore I admit I can't translate it very correctly however I know the numbers and have made progress on reading the letters. Also Binary Pulsars are very real in life.
                            Is the direct link to the age of Destiny and also there is some reference in some episodes and if I remember the reference is in Gauntlet, Common Decent and Blockade. There are some reference in Season 1 as well
                            After further progression of Tau'ri repairs to the ship, according to a simulation performed by the ship's computers, its shields are now able to resist fire for over 44 minutes from nine Nakai motherships. It is likely that even this does not represent the full capabilities of the ship when it was first launched, as it still suffers from extensive damage. (SGU: "Trial and Error") from the wiki
                            Destiny's shields change frequency constantly in the hope of matching enemy fire. The closer the frequency, the less damage Destiny takes, making it a weaker shield overall, but a general type shield able to take fire from all types of energy weapons. The programing on the Destiny forces it to keep the shields on a constant frequency change, but they can be override to be of a specific type of frequency (or close to it) making the shields strong against that specific type of energy, but leaving it vulnerable to all other types of attacks. (SGU: "Gauntlet")
                            A quote from the wiki
                            Year introduced
                            2009 (Tau'ri discovery), c.a. 50 million years ago (launched)
                            Here is the direct linkhttp://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...antis-mailbag/
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't ever recall it being stated that Neutronium can be obtained from solar panels, as far as I'm aware it's a naturally ocurring metal in the SGverse, in reality I believe it's found in the heart of Neutron stars, which the Federation would have no problem acquiring if all it takes is to beam it from the center of a star, but given it was mentioned to be only a theoretical and artificial material in the episodes Relics (Star Trek The Next Generation) and I believe it was also mentioned in Think Tank (ST Voyager).
                              Still it's not hard for Earth to obtain in Stargate (since they mention it being on Planet's in veins in the ground and ), the same must be true for the Asgard and if it's easily obtainable by Earth in Stargate then it must be easy to obtain for races on the tech level of the Federation (transporter beaming, antigravity, shields,etc).
                              1. Neutronium yes is found in neutron stars and has a atomic number of 0 and in wikipedia it stats that Neutronium is the basis of Asgard and Replicator technology.
                              2.They have managed to modify Stargates to only dial out and decline any incoming wormholes I believe they rebuilt it.
                              3. Transport beams in ST require shields to be dropped and then beamed however in SG they don't need to be. Shields in SG the strength of them is directly proportional to how much power is channeled into them.
                              Anti-gravity is something that is known to be in real life and sci-fi.
                              SG is more educational than ST.
                              Are you asking if the Federation can build a Destiny?
                              If the answer's yes then it's possible, the Federation gets hydrogen from Deuterium in regular water if I recall correctly, transwarp can allow for some very high speeds and the only reason the Federation isn't using it is because of a failed experiment in Kirk's time, but it is possible because other slightly more advanced races have it along with other methods of subspace/hyperspace style propulsion technologies.
                              That is exactly what I am asking the federation to build. Also if I remember correctly FTL is not hyperspace and I emphasis not.
                              In Relics it sat on top of the photosphere of an active star, while flares were being shot near or at (it wasn't specified, although intensity of the number of flares was said to grow over the period the Enterprise was there, this wouldn't have been mentioned by Data if it wasn't an issue) the shields of the Enterprise D, they started off at 20% and the ship stayed in this region of the star for a couple of hours (exact times weren't given from what I remember).

I don't recall if Destiny was stated to actually go into the photosphere or whether it entered the corona or some other region.
                              If I remember correctly in which the episode in question they were in the gravitational field of the star however they were not directly in it but very close to it. Shields were failing and they hit a solar flare in which the ship was thrown 12 hours back in time.
                              BTW please give me the formula and I will confirm it with my teach on the 19th of July

I'm not sure what you mean by you distorted, did you mean you dispute the power levels Tetsujin has calculated?
                              yes thats what I was going to say. If you rewatch the episode Nemesis and watch it over and over again and thats what I have done also have put it on a time when Thor says it and put it into slow motion. Approx. 0.06x so 1 second of it would be 17 seconds in real life and I record it to make sure. I heard 1 Billion Joules per millisecond.
                              sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with darth through out the thread and my science teacher has confirmed the Beachhead to be a terraton explosion from what the visuals and dialogue say. BTW I am still in Junior High School and Stargate is far more educational as well as more entertaining. How is that I get more marks for watching SG than ST. I might set up a debate on neutral somewhere but its up to the challenger and the defender to decide. If it was me I would take Tau'ri position now someone has to take a race from ST. Here's the link http://www.convinceme.net/index.php to make an account or use your facebook.
                                Last edited by qingbest; 08 July 2011, 05:27 AM. Reason: adding debate website
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X