• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Males 18 and older
    Females 18 and older
    Males 17 and younger
    Females 17 and younger

Can't have 18 in both categories. Leads to some very confused 18-year-olds who will no doubt want to associate with the "older" group.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Another board I was on had a demographic poll with the following age categories:

M Under 20
        M 20-30
        M 31-40
        M 41-50
        M Over 50

F Under 20
        F 20-30
        F 31-40
        F 41-50
        F Over 50

I've read some demographic information on Stargate before - as I recall they have a fairly large female viewing audience for a scifi show - I think it was something like 40-50%.

I'm guessing this forum has a much higher percentage of females than 50%.

That's interesting to me. Women seem to want to talk about their scifi shows more, not sure why.
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Women seem to want to talk about their scifi shows more, not sure why.
          Well, let me preface this by saying I'm stating gross generalizations, and I know not all women or men neatly fit into any category. But, some women are more concerned with stories and characters and interpersonal relationships (this should not be narrowed down to just being about ship, although that does interest some). These seem to lend themselves more to discussion rather than stuff blows up.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I figured that women in general tend to be more talkative than men, or at least (maybe) more "open" to certain types of discussion, maybe a little more willing to discuss their "feelings" about the characters and the stories and what-all, but I admit that's probably mostly due to prejudices and ingrained social mentalities. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
              Well, let me preface this by saying I'm stating gross generalizations, and I know not all women or men neatly fit into any category. But, some women are more concerned with stories and characters and interpersonal relationships (this should not be narrowed down to just being about ship, although that does interest some). These seem to lend themselves more to discussion rather than stuff blows up.
              Yep, it's a gross generalization but I think you're probably right. Especially judging by the popularity of some of the character and relationship threads - whether pro or con there seems to be a lot of interest in discussing those aspects of the show. And it seems to be mainly women. I think the guys like the character and interpersonal relationship aspects of the show they just don't seem to need to discuss them.

Also don't see many fluffy "Sam" or "Janet" threads springing up where the guys hang out and drool over the gals. Although I *have* seen a few men go on and on about the weapons on alien spaceships and the type of armament they should be putting thru the Stargate.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

21 year old female here!!

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

there's a poll over in the fandom thread, so go vote
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for notifying sky
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Male 16 when I first started watching in 1997... Now a Male of 23 years age still loving the show!
                      "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

If attendance at the conventions is any indication, then I would say that Stargate fandom is heavily weighted toward the female population.
                        sigpic

Comment

Every time I read something on "typical" behaviour of gender or age groups, I think I'm something else..I'm 31, female, and am not into most "girly" things...I buy a lot of books, even on obscure subjects, and way too much electronic stuff...my rooms look like geek central.

What about education demographics? More highly educated people in SG fandom than anywhere else? (says the M.A. in linguistics and Egyptology...))

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
                          Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
                          ~CELLO!~
                          ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
                            yeah, on sports cars and junk...now if it were SHOES!!!
                            Or chocolate...
                            Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

If attendance at the conventions is any indication, then I would say that Stargate fandom is heavily weighted toward the female population.
                              What are other SF cons like? At, say, a DS9 or B5 con would you expect there to be an even split of M/F?

I've been to two events, both largely or entirely Stargate related, and each was more female than male, but is that a feature of Stargate or of Conventions?

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X