This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
    Bottom line: Having a tragic ending to the series just doesn't suit it. While there has been tragedy and drama over the course of the show, it really doesn't feel right that there would be any kind of a depressing ending. It just isn't the Stargate SG-1 way.
    And it would kill the show in syndication, kill DVD sales, and probably destroy any chance for a movie, either made for TV or theatrical. A lot of people simply wouldn't have anything more to do with the franchise.

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
      We all know it should end with Daniel ascending; Teal'c living out the rest of his life with Ry'ak; Bra'tac releasing his burden; Sam and Jack getting together (to pacify quite a number of you) and Hammond enjoying retirement.
      To put it in the words of president Hayes; "Never going to happen."

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
        To put it in the words of president Hayes; "Never going to happen."
        Thinking back, it must have taken a lot of perverbial balls to say that to Anubis.

It really would kinda blow to end the show on that kind of note. I hope they don't end it like they did Seinfeld. That was a travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
          Thinking back, it must have taken a lot of perverbial balls to say that to Anubis.

It really would kinda blow to end the show on that kind of note. I hope they don't end it like they did Seinfeld. That was a travesty.
          I think Hayes only said that 1. because he knew it was a hologram
          2. had to show confidence as a leader
          3. what did he have to lose?

The last ep of Seinfeld was the worst ep of all.

Comment

Meh... A happy ending is no more of a cliché than a tragic one.
            You got it. I couldn't agree more. Everything has basically already been done anyway, so there's no way killing off a main character could be original. They're trying to do that by having the heroes die not a hero's death but, like some of you said, an "uneventful" death on a routine mission, something you'd never expect and people don't like it. And that has already been done a couple of times as well. So, the only thing that would really be original would be killing him off-screen in a way anyone could die (car accident etc.) and I don't think there's anybody in the world who wouldn't hate that.

Originally posted by Posherella
            If RDA doesn't want to go into season 9, maybe the season finale for season 8 should be him going through the gate and getting stuck in some world we can't connect to again. Then he's gone in season 9 and we can rescue him again in time for the series finale.
            Actually, I don't think that's such a bad idea. Of course, it wouldn't be really original because they had this being-stuck-somewhere already a couple of times but then again, it would only be reasonable that they for once don't find a way (for a looong time, that is).

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            It may be cliche but I want all of the years of hard work they've put in to count for something. After all of the sacrifices they've made it would be nice to see Teal'c get to go home and Jack get to retire to his cabin and so on and so forth.
            Yep, gotta agree. Even though it may be hackneyed, having a main character who's faced more life-and-death-situations than you can count in his life die a hero's death or - so much worse still - an "everyday death" would be so obviously just done to shock and be surprising and "original". Imagine Daniel had died from his appendicitis - what kind of death would that have been?

Comment

Originally posted by hail_jack
              Season 8 is supposed to be SG1's last season....if NOT how should season 9 or possibly even 10 end...i think the only fitting way it should end if Jack (and thor?) dies trying to save earth's a*s from the reps etc, etc what do you guys think?
              NO, No, no, nooooo. Jack CAN"T DIE!!!!

Now, having released that outburst (and admitting that I've killed him twice in fics) ... I woke up at 4:00am with my most evil final scene for Stargate - SG1 playing in my head.
              It has a big spoiler for S8 so, if you want to read it, highlight the area below.

**SPOILER** Pete has moved to Colororado Springs and works for the CSPD. He and Sam are engaged.

**SCENE - which won't have the impact if you don't read the spoiler**
              Interior Sam's house, the doorbell rings.
              She opens the door to find 2 CSPD officers standing there.
              Officer 1 - Samantha Carter?
              Sam - Yes, what is it officer?
              Officer 1 - I'm sorry Ma'am. There's been an accident.

Cut to: Long shot of the back of a large group gathered at a cemetary. We can tell that most of them are in uniform, but not if Police or Air Force. We can't hear anything being said.
              Honor Guard fires 21 gun salute, Taps starts to play.
              Camera pans up to the clear, blue sky as jets fly in from the right.
              Freeze frame on the "Missing Man" formation.
              Fade out and roll Closing Credits.
              Total time - less than a minute.

Personally, once I picked up on the "Missing Man" formation, I'd probably start yelling at the TV. Then I'd write FLAMING letters to TPTB, including RDA, for going along with this ROTTEN ending.

**end of scene**
              You're never too old to do something goofy.
              sigpic
              Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

I don't think they'll KILL off Jack, but maybe they'll make him even less of a prominent character, though still important. Like Don Davis was. But if Jack quits, I don't think it'll be a death that ends his run on the show. I think a resignation is much more likely, or joining Hammond in Homeworld Security.

Comment

I don't want Jack to die and I doubt they'll do it. They're talking possible movies and there's no way they'll do that without RDA.
                  *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Uh... Dude...

Cutting General O'Neill's/RDA's screen time into multiple, itty, bitty eighths of frames is totally different than KILLING him off. We all remember the last time they thought that was a good idea (OK, last times). You know, it tends to happen when they think they know that the series is over, and they want to do something dramatic to one of the integral characters... Let's just say that the fans don't necessarily agree. Ever.

And I definitely can't see it happening to Jack, considering RDA's name comes before the stinkin' title (a drastic contrast to Atlantis, might I add), either. *shrugs*

Besides, what would happen to all of the Jack/Daniel lovers and the Jack/Sam shippers? That's 95% of the fandom right there.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                      And it would kill the show in syndication, kill DVD sales, and probably destroy any chance for a movie, either made for TV or theatrical. A lot of people simply wouldn't have anything more to do with the franchise.

J.
                      I think The PTB are going to treat this somewhat like what was done in the case of Star Trek:TNG. They ended that series when it was a major "cash cow" so they could dedicate time to the spinoff shows, DS9 and later Voyager....SG-1, now Atlantis. I do not believe either, that it is in anyone's best interest to kill off O'neill.

Comment

Jack isn't the MAIN character, there are FOUR MAIN characters thankyou very much. Just because RDA is a producer or whatever he is doesn't make his character the main character. God...get over yourselves. No wonder there are actually people who hate Jack, god forbid. It's not Stargate: Jack O'Neill you know...it's Stargate: SG1, meaning the whole group.

Comment

Personally, I think its the only way they'd manage to "finish off" his character what with RDA having a reduced role in this season...
                          Jackson: Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music.
                          O'Neill: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

Comment

Originally posted by jex_piperUK
                            Jack isn't the MAIN character, there are FOUR MAIN characters thankyou very much. Just because RDA is a producer or whatever he is doesn't make his character the main character. God...get over yourselves. No wonder there are actually people who hate Jack, god forbid. It's not Stargate: Jack O'Neill you know...it's Stargate: SG1, meaning the whole group.
                            I agree, but I also think there are some actors/characters who contribute more to the show than others. I wouldn't want to have Stargate just with RDA/Jack because the mixture of the different characters makes it interesting, but for me the question is if a character contributes something that can't easily be substituted. I don't know how others see that, I think none of the other characters can really substitute the humor Jack/RDA brings to the show and that's something I'd miss dearly.
                            Not to get too far off-topic, about Jack being the main character also see the "Why O'Neill is annoying" thread: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...9&page=3&pp=20

Comment

Originally posted by jex_piperUK
                              Jack isn't the MAIN character, there are FOUR MAIN characters thankyou very much. Just because RDA is a producer or whatever he is doesn't make his character the main character.
                              You're right, Jack's not the only main character of the show. RDA, however, is the main star. There's a reason why his name is above the title, as participants on the DVD commentaries are often quick to point out.
                              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

You're right, Jack's not the only main character of the show. RDA, however, is the main star. There's a reason why his name is above the title, as participants on the DVD commentaries are often quick to point out.
                                Kudos UgPig. They even mention in The Lowdown that they built a competent cast around RDA.

Comment

Working...
                                X