This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Cloaking Device?

It just hit me. All the Puddle Jumpers on Atlantis have some kind of cloaking technology. What about Atlantis? If the technology is something that can fit on a ship as small as a Jumper, then surely the Ancients could have applied it to the city itself. That could be a tremendous advantage against the Wraith if (a)it existed and (b)they had the power to run it.

definately would be awesome and it could be possible... i'm hping that they find a cloaking devise.. i'd much rather see a shield before a cloak though
    Last edited by NORCALJJ; 16 April 2005, 05:38 PM.
    I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

If Atlantis coule be cloaked, wouldn't there be a noticeable dent in the ocean where the waves lap over the piers ans whatnot?

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
        If Atlantis coule be cloaked, wouldn't there be a noticeable dent in the ocean where the waves lap over the piers ans whatnot?
        i never thought of that
        I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

not if the city projected a image of an ocean

Comment

i could see a bird hit one of the towers haha,

but if they had full power I'd like to see the entire city
            "I was just looking at the sky, Trying to figure out how many stars we'd actually been to."

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
              Well assuming they had the power to run this cloak it wouldnt be that inconcievable for them to run the citys engines aswel to make it hover above the surface like the Nox city in SG-1.

Comment

A city-wide cloaking device would certainly do something toward giving Atlantis some sort of an advantage, now that it's a sitting duck on the ocean's surface. The only problem is power. How much power would such a cloaking device require? At the moment, atlantis still needs to get ZPM's to bolster their current power needs.

Comment

Perheps it does have a cloak:
                  Spoiler:
                  QUOTE FROM GATEWORLD ATLANTIS S2 "DUET" SPOILERS: "Their banter is interrupted by the omninous sound of a Wraith Dart in the distance. The expedition members race back toward the Stargate, hoping to avoid detection. (Lieutenant Colonel Sheppard makes a cryptic remark about Atlantis's cover being blown if they are spotted, perhaps hinting at the resolution of "The Siege.")"

Perhaps they activate the cloak and the Wraith believe Atlantis is destroyed.
                  O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
                  [Cut to shot of the door]
                  [Cut back to O'Neill]
                  O'NEILL: Any time now.
                  [Cut back to door]

Comment

Actually, I would suggest that the cloaking device may be an inconsistency in the Atlantis universe. While its safe to reason that there are other things cloaked, why wouldn't the Ancients use it on a wide-spread basis given the war with the Wraith? We've already established that the Ancients DIDN't cloak the city, which may have been related to the fact that the city had the shield. As to other items, the weapons platform satelite certainly could have used a cloaking device (for strategic purposes). Since the sat wasn't cloaked when the SG:A team discovered it, its safe to assume that it didn't have one, otherwise it would have cloaked when it was powered up. However, we're left with the fact that the Puddlejumpers STILL had power after all those centuries? I guess, my question is WHAT powers puddle jumpers that the power source wasn't depleted from just sitting around?

Originally posted by Macharius0
                    It just hit me. All the Puddle Jumpers on Atlantis have some kind of cloaking technology. What about Atlantis? If the technology is something that can fit on a ship as small as a Jumper, then surely the Ancients could have applied it to the city itself. That could be a tremendous advantage against the Wraith if (a)it existed and (b)they had the power to run it.
                    "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Originally posted by chyron
                      Since the sat wasn't cloaked when the SG:A team discovered it, its safe to assume that it didn't have one, otherwise it would have cloaked when it was powered up. However, we're left with the fact that the Puddlejumpers STILL had power after all those centuries? I guess, my question is WHAT powers puddle jumpers that the power source wasn't depleted from just sitting around?
                      The sattelite's cloak may have been damaged, if if had one.
                      As for the PJ's they've been powered down for this time so it makes sense that they'd still have power.
                      O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
                      [Cut to shot of the door]
                      [Cut back to O'Neill]
                      O'NEILL: Any time now.
                      [Cut back to door]

Comment

Since its a starship it would make sense for Atlantis to have a cloak. Unless its sheilds and weopons were so good that it would not need a surprise attack (ie cloaking device) for a tactical advantage.

Perfecto!

Comment

I think the Ancients never thought they needed one. Their sheilds are strong enough to withstand the entire Wraith fleet i don't think they need to worry about hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFox
                            I think the Ancients never thought they needed one. Their sheilds are strong enough to withstand the entire Wraith fleet i don't think they need to worry about hiding.
                            I agree. That, and it doesn't seem in the Ancients nature to hide things. Asside from Puddle Jumpers, we've had no real evidence that they would desire to cloak anything, not even things like machines that can create all life in the galaxy. Besides, they have the ability to hide things from censors, perhaps that's why not everything has a cloak.
                            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

i still think atlantis has a cloak, the ancients were very good at it, PJ as an example, so not having a cloak doesnt make snese; even if there isnt a cloak, we could make one.........just expand the cloaking field of 2/3 PJ and it might cover atlantis if possitioned right.
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                              X