This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
    My god, if you don't like the show, STOP WATCHING!
    My god, if you don't like complaints, STOP READING THEM!! It's just as easy for YOU guys to stop reading the negative comments as it is for us to stop watching the show.

And who's to say people HAVEN'T stopped watching? Does that mean that I have no right to discuss what I DID see? Or that I can't express my uncertainty of the future? YOU guys can wax poetic about how wonderful things are going to be- sight unseen- but we can't complain about the same? Nice, very nice sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
      Can everyone please stop telling me to "stop watching"! As I've said a hundred times, I LOVE stargate, but I'm concerned about the direction the series has been heading these last 2 years. I want the show to be good, hence why I'm going to keep watching. I'm allowed to make criticisms of the show given that this is a 'discussion board'. So no, I'm not going to "stop watching" any more than you are.

With regard to your second point, my comment wasn't completely serious. I'm not expecting anyone to tell MS to talk slower. It was a comment regarding the DJ character and how he has been developing recently.
      Why even mention the point about Daniel talking really fast?

I assumed that since you were writing a letter to JM you going on about something, apparently not.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

If you don't like the direction a show is going in, or don't like the show stop watching it. People will continue to tell you to stop watching it because asking the makers of the show to change it is over the top. They are in charge of making the show, not you. Surely the reality of things is like this for a good reason. Just my 2cents.

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
          You can't judge the feelings of the fans by the size of a thread. If that was the case, then you would have to assume that the majority of fans want ship, by the size of the shipper threads. All you can say about the Anti season 9 thread is that those fans are voicing thier opinion more.
          I agree with some of this, but I disagree on the not being able to judge the feelings of fans by thread size. The Pro and Anti threads are opposites, fans are able to discuss both topics equally, yet the Anti thread has more posts. Perhaps it isn't a decisive indicator of fan feeling, but it's a good start.

I agree, the series is not about "thunk" and "ship". And I will agree that there are differing opinions as to the positive or negative direction of the show and everyone has the right to express those opinions. I will also agree that whether you like the show's direction or not, you have the choice to watch or not. Some have made the choice not to watch anymore and others are taking your "wait and see" position.
          Thank you for your fair judgment

Opinions are difficult to deal with sometimes. They are almost always have an emotional basis behind them. Which makes debating hard without taking comments personally. When someone disagrees with an opinion, we tend to take it as a disagreement of us personally. You made some good observations to how you feel the direction of the show is going. Others feel differently. And both opinions are right. That's what's so nice about opinions, you can't be wrong.
          Again thank you for your fair point. I am sick however of coming under attack from other posters because they disagree with my views. It seems not everyone is as civilised and understanding as you.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            My god, if you don't like complaints, STOP READING THEM!! It's just as easy for YOU guys to stop reading the negative comments as it is for us to stop watching the show.

And who's to say people HAVEN'T stopped watching? Does that mean that I have no right to discuss what I DID see? Or that I can't express my uncertainty of the future? YOU guys can wax poetic about how wonderful things are going to be- sight unseen- but we can't complain about the same? Nice, very nice sentiment.
            I'm not saying that you can't complain.

I'm just complaining about you guys complaining

I can do that right?

Comment

Considering the ANTI season 9 thread is 3 times bigger than the PRO season 9 thread, I'd say that's a fair indication of the feelings of the fans.
              Not very conclusive though. If someone's looking forward to s9 the reasons are generally "Cos I like Stargate, so i'm looking forward to more of it". Not much scope for discussion there, and not much to be added beyond 'me too' - since the actual discussion of the spoilers is taking place in spoiler-specific threads. Whereas when people aren't looking forward to it they have more diverse reasons, hence more stuff to discuss (Tolstoy: "All happy families resemble each other, but each miserable family is miserable in its own way" - there's more to be said about stuff that's unpleasant, that's just the way it is).

A more useful indicator might be to read the actual spoiler threads where people are discussing the latest info on what s9 will bring. the mood in thos threads will be hte more accurate guage, I reckon.

Besides, a huuuuge number of posts in the 'anti' thread are "hey why don't u just all stop watching, s9 will be gr8!!!" followed by the customary response to little lost newbies...

Madeleine

Comment

I wouldn't go on a thread count to conclude season 9 sucks, or needs to not happen, etc. I haven't checked out the threads but I don't think it is a poll. To better gauge this conclusion... we should have a Season 9 poll thread and let people answer a clear yes or no to having the season.

Comment

...Mods?
                  Are you just trying to get this thread closed?

... I'm leaving before this gets any meaner.

Comment

It doesn't really matter what the fans think, does it? Season 9 WILL happen, regardless of whether or not the "majority" of fans want it. You could get 90% of the people on this board voting against S9 and it would still happen. You could also post the same poll on another board and get 90% of the people voting FOR season 9. So what does THAT tell you?

There's also the fact that online fandom makes up a small percentage of the TOTAL fandom. There are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of fans out there who aren't involved in online forums and their "opinions" are just as valid as ours. So should what WE decide hold true for all of them? I think not. The best you're going to get is what people on THIS board think and even then it won't be accurate because there will be those who don't see it or those who don't care or those who think the whole thing is stupid/pointless and won't bother to vote.

But there's nothing wrong with making a poll, if someone wants to. Just don't expect it to give you a definitive answer about anything.

And Marty, if you're sick of reading the complaints, imagine how sick people like myself are of being told to STFU.

Comment

I'm sick of people telling me to 'stop watching'. I shouldn't have to! I love Stargate and want to watch it. I'm allowed to not like the way the direction is going, that's my opinion, but I'm not about to give up on it because 4 our of 5 of the episodes are rubbish.

Correction: you once loved Stargate.
                      There comes a balance point where your dissappointment in the series outweighs your continued interest in it. You are way past that. Now you're actually angry and bitter at the series.

Why should you stop watching? Because watching a TV show you once loved and now hate 80% of the time is not rational. If I chose to spend my time watching a TV show I hated, and then spent even more time posting on the Internet about that TV show I hated, I would expect that my family and friends would talk to me about it, and if necessary intervene on my behalf with a skilled and compassionate mental health professional.

You once enjoyed Stargate. Go buy those seasons on DVD, watch them from time to time, and Stargate lives forever for you. Life is short. Spend your time doing something you enjoy.
                      ~*~*~*~*~*
                      not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

We now have a poll, check it out:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=10310

Comment

...Mods?
                          I can be criticized or censored by you or the mods forever, but the problem isn't me here, friend. And I'm not the only one who's noticed it.

Pknuts, I'm not going to deny that I do find you irritating and arrogant, but really, there's a point in what I'm saying that comes from nothing but human compassion.

Somehow, someway, somebody really has to wake you up to the fact that spending precious, valuable, fleeting, irreplaceable time on a TV show you no longer like, both in viewing and on the Internet, is not a healthy thing to do. This is a serious thing that you should think about.

There was a woman in The X-Files fandom named Lee Burwasser who used to post quite regularly about what she saw as problems, flaws, dissappointments in the later seasons of the show. It was something she spent a lot of time on, really. And I said to her one day, "Lee, if you don't like it, walk away. Life is short. Go watch something you like." And I remembered that with a sort of sick terrible sadness when it was shared with the fandom that Lee had passed away suddenly. We all thought about those many many hours Lee spent watching and griping about TXF and how she could have been doing something pleasurable, amusing, fun, delightful, uplifting. Of course, it was Lee's right to spend her life as she wanted to, but I wonder if she had known she was going to die, if she would have done something differently. And that's the point - we don't know when our life is going to be over, so every moment should be spent realizing that we don't have any guarantees about tomorrow.

Life is short. Fill it with good stuff. Enjoy the past of Stargate and get into your present and your future without Stargate. It's time for you to let it go.
                          ~*~*~*~*~*
                          not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was for discussion of season nine, not so that fans could personally attack each other. It's obvious that PKnuts and not so ancient have a personal disagreement, but I see no reason why the entire board should be subjected to it. That isn't the point of this thread and it isn't the point of this BOARD. If you can't play nicely, move along somewhere else. Stick to the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                              I can be criticized or censored by you or the mods forever, but the problem isn't me here, friend. And I'm not the only one who's noticed it.

Pknuts, I'm not going to deny that I do find you irritating and arrogant, but really, there's a point in what I'm saying that comes from nothing but human compassion.

Somehow, someway, somebody really has to wake you up to the fact that spending precious, valuable, fleeting, irreplaceable time on a TV show you no longer like, both in viewing and on the Internet, is not a healthy thing to do. This is a serious thing that you should think about.

There was a woman in The X-Files fandom named Lee Burwasser who used to post quite regularly about what she saw as problems, flaws, dissappointments in the later seasons of the show. It was something she spent a lot of time on, really. And I said to her one day, "Lee, if you don't like it, walk away. Life is short. Go watch something you like." And I remembered that with a sort of sick terrible sadness when it was shared with the fandom that Lee had passed away suddenly. We all thought about those many many hours Lee spent watching and griping about TXF and how she could have been doing something pleasurable, amusing, fun, delightful, uplifting. Of course, it was Lee's right to spend her life as she wanted to, but I wonder if she had known she was going to die, if she would have done something differently. And that's the point - we don't know when our life is going to be over, so every moment should be spent realizing that we don't have any guarantees about tomorrow.

Life is short. Fill it with good stuff. Enjoy the past of Stargate and get into your present and your future without Stargate. It's time for you to let it go.
                              I don't need you to tell me if I like Stargate or not. The only person who can answer that is me, and i LOVE stargate. If I didn't I wouldn't voice my concerns.

I don't need you to tell me what I should do with my time.

And I really couldn't care less if you find me irritating and arrogant.

ShadowMaat: I had no beef with not so ancient till he started personally harassing me. I was perfectly willing to stick to the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Oma Desala
                                If you don't like the direction a show is going in, or don't like the show stop watching it. People will continue to tell you to stop watching it because asking the makers of the show to change it is over the top. They are in charge of making the show, not you. Surely the reality of things is like this for a good reason. Just my 2cents.
                                That's exactly what I meant. I think it's a bit arrogant to think you are in position to tell the crew what to to with THEIR show. Of course you are free to give your opinion but making a thread directed to a member of the crew is pointless and respectless, in my opinion.

Btw, talking about statistics and all, I can tell you that the show is more popular than ever in Europe & USA.
                                Last edited by Osiris; 22 March 2005, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X