Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I know it wouldn't stop ALL of them, and it's probably the most virulent and despicable ones who'd be most inclined to register to continue their campaign of hatred, but I do think it'd help to cut down on SOME of it. And hopefully, rude as it seems, it'd also cut out some of the people who feel honor bound to react to the trollings, thus escalating the situation. Again, it wouldn't "clean up" everything going on in the comments, but I don't think the replies would be in the 350 range anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
      It's up to Joe, ultimately. If this white-out problem persists I might encourage him to go with Blogger-registered users, just for the sake of reducing the size of the comment threads.
      What? people must create blogs in order to respond?

Why not put a limit on the thread? 100 comments max.

Meanwhile, he said he did enjoy reading the 'wackos' in fandom so he must having a ball reading some of the downright insanity on that comments page. Seeing how as some of the more virulent posts were signed, registering as a 'blogger' it may not discourage remarks, but at least the anonymous folk wouldn't think they are anonymous (when in fact some folks' writing is so distinctive it's not hard to miss who signed a post even if they didn't sign it).

The comments page on his latest blog is bizarre, and there isn't a single comments page on his blog where I think it' stayed on tracked, come to think of it.

But there is no solution as fans react to JM like they used to react to JMS (guy who created B5).

Comment

Originally posted by prion
        What? people must create blogs in order to respond?
        Nope, they'd just need to sign up for a free account at Blogger.

Why not put a limit on the thread? 100 comments max.
        It's apparently possible to "close" a comments thread, but it's up to Joe to do it.

The comments page on his latest blog is bizarre, and there isn't a single comments page on his blog where I think it' stayed on tracked, come to think of it.

But there is no solution as fans react to JM like they used to react to JMS (guy who created B5).
        Yes, fans will be fans.
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
          Nope, they'd just need to sign up for a free account at Blogger.
          Not to snark, but signing up ad naseum just to make a post makes no sense. Gads, fingerprints will next

Comment

Yep, I'd certainly rather not require it, which is why it's not been required heretofor.

Comment

Well, the blog is there, but now the comments come up as 404 NOT FOUND.

Considering the tone of some of 'em, that may be a good thing.

Comment

I don't get it, why is it always Joe's and not anybody elses??
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                  I don't get it, why is it always Joe's and not anybody elses??
                  Because Joe is the only one to get 300-400+ replies. Lots of heated, angry, back-and-forth retorts add up fast (sometimes literally), and that puts a strain on Blogger. Or something like that...

Comment

Yeah that is true.
                    sigpic

Comment

The newest comments thread is coming up fine for me, as of Monday at 12:30 pm EST. (Ironically, there are "404" comments ...)

Comment

Working...
                      X