No announcement yet.

That display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok ok, I think we've deviated slightly from my original point, so I'll sum it up.

• The screen looks very nice.
    • The ship looks old and deteriorated.

That displeases my eyes.
    We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
    —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
    —Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by kernl sandrs View Post
      Ok ok, I think we've deviated slightly from my original point, so I'll sum it up.

• The screen looks very nice.
      • The ship looks old and deteriorated.

That displeases my eyes.
      I think its better explained by an example, so here goes.

Look on the 2-stroke engine. Over the years it hasnt changed much at all, its basicly the same since it was created with some minor upgrades on some occasions.

What if, it was the same for the Alterans.

Edit:

And if you know is refering to it looking brand new, well, they are in a matter of fact the most advanced race we ever encountered so far.
      When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Morganrone93 View Post

Look on the 2-stroke engine. Over the years it hasnt changed much at all, its basicly the same since it was created with some minor upgrades on some occasions.

YOU'RE ALL MISSING THE DAMNED POINT. Just stop....

And if you know is refering to it looking brand new, well, they are in a matter of fact the most advanced race we ever encountered so far.

Oh yeah, I forgot they created an artificial solar system, too.

Oh wait...
        We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
        —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
        —Ricky Gervais

Comment

YOU'RE ALL MISSING THE DAMNED POINT. Just stop....

Oh yeah, I forgot they created an artificial solar system, too.

Oh wait...
          First. I feel you are making somewhat offensive comments, on several occasions.

First of all, do we even know who created the solar system?

and to be a copycat.

Oh wait....

We dont..

And to bust it even more, The Dakara superweapon... Even that is one heck of a feat, maybe more than creating a solarsystem.

Originally posted by webxro View Post
          do i need to remind you that's the same ships that constantly flies into a star
          This, is your answear, really.

You seem to think Destiny is a uberold pile of crap low tech rustbucket.

Sure its old, but its still way ahead of our time, even beyond our Daedalus-class ships in various areas.
          Last edited by Morganrone93; 24 October 2010, 11:55 AM.
          When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

btw only half of that screen actaully translates... (true on most of destiny's displays)

Comment

First. I feel you are making somewhat offensive comments, on several occasions.
              By all means, list them.

First of all, do we even know who created the solar system?

and to be a copycat.

Oh wait....

We dont..
              I never said we did.

And to bust it even more, The Dakara superweapon... Even that is one heck of a feat, maybe more than creating a solarsystem.
              That's a debate for another thread.

You seem to think Destiny is a uberold pile of crap low tech rustbucket.

Sure its old, but its still way ahead of our time, even beyond our Daedalus-class ships in various areas.
              You seem to think you know what I'm thinking.

You do not.

I not saying Destiny is a piece of crap floating through space, in many respects, it's more advanced than our 304's. What I AM saying is that the screen, the holographic projection looks very nice. In contrast to the rest of the ship (which at this point is heavily deteriorated) looks very out of place. Whereas in a gateship it looks natural.

THAT IS ALL. UNDERSTAND IT. COMPREHEND IT. READ AND REREAD THAT PARAGRAPH BEFORE YOU RESPOND.
              —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

the style of Destiny doesn't require that it's tech be low grade junk.
                it's had these holograms since the beginning, it's not like they just appeared, and yes, this is the same ship that flies into stars so having such nice screens doesn't seem off to me either.
                There doesn't need to be a bunch of bright shiny surfaces to make holograms seem right

as for your all caps shouty response, why?
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

By all means, list them.

I never said we did.

That's a debate for another thread.

You seem to think you know what I'm thinking.

You do not.

I not saying Destiny is a piece of crap floating through space, in many respects, it's more advanced than our 304's. What I AM saying is that the screen, the holographic projection looks very nice. In contrast to the rest of the ship (which at this point is heavily deteriorated) looks very out of place. Whereas in a gateship it looks natural.

THAT IS ALL. UNDERSTAND IT. COMPREHEND IT. READ AND REREAD THAT PARAGRAPH BEFORE YOU RESPOND.
                  ... I am speechless, either you are ignorant or just want a specific answear or simply that someone agrees with you.

Example, your last comment seems offensive, and there is more, I just dont care enough to find them, you know where they are anyways.

Y'know?

this one.

It looks far too advanced in contrast to the rest of the ship.

I like it, it looks sleek, but too sleek. It doesn't belong there. That rust bucket shouldn't be producing holo-screens outta thin air like that. It just doesn't sit right in my stomach...It just doesn't feel right, y'know? It's too far ahead of its time. Maybe they could find some use for it in a few million years, like the HUD of a gateship of some kind...
                  do i need to remind you that's the same ships that constantly flies into a star

It's the same display!

I meant something a little more...primitive, for lack of a better word. Something that looks older than that thing. I understand "If it works well, why replace it" but come on...it just...ugh. It looks too nice. The rest of the ship is crumbling, and here's this convenient crystal-clear holo-screen.

You clearly states you think Destiny is old and too low tech to be able to have anything like hologram displays.

I tried to explain, but you just doesnt see it.

Edit:

So... if you doesnt have your answear.
                  Last edited by Morganrone93; 24 October 2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

The reason why the display is "light and cheery" where the rest of the ship is "dull and rusty" is because light doesn't rust or brake or melt away and turn into a pile of sludge. Light remains constant.

And what are holograms? Light.
                    sigpic
                    ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

I give up.
                      —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

I think I understand what your getting and and if I'm correct i do agree with you slightly. Its not that the hologram is to high up the tech scale for the ship but that the hologram is not the same style as the rest. In the control room everything else (as far as i'm aware) has a manual interface uses (in comparison to the hologram) big bulky displays and interfaces. Hes not trying to say its the wrong tech just tat he doesn't think it fits with the aesthetics of the rest of the ship.

This is just my opinion and I dont if this is what you mean sandrs

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
                          I think I understand what your getting and and if I'm correct i do agree with you slightly. Its not that the hologram is to high up the tech scale for the ship but that the hologram is not the same style as the rest. In the control room everything else (as far as i'm aware) has a manual interface uses (in comparison to the hologram) big bulky displays and interfaces. Hes not trying to say its the wrong tech just tat he doesn't think it fits with the aesthetics of the rest of the ship.

Why would the put a nice screen in a part of the ship that isn't design to have big control capabilities really i am at least surprised that there are those kind of screens outside of the bridge , but i think it's cheaper to place one holographic screen and a lot of LCD's around the ship .
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                          StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                          GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Maybe it is just that one room which has that 'holographic' display, for say teaching.

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post

THANK YOU! That's all I was trying to convey. Aesthetically it doesn't fit in with the rest of the ship.

He gets it...
                              —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

Why would the put a nice screen in a part of the ship that isn't design to have big control capabilities
                                What do you mean? It is the control interface room, after all.

really i am at least surprised that there are those kind of screens outside of the bridge
                                Why?

, but i think it's cheaper to place one holographic screen and a lot of LCD's around the ship .
                                Why?
                                —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

Working...
                                X