Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long would it take a wormhole drive to reach Destiny's location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No 1 wants this wormholedrive to work, it is a D.E.M.

Comment

Am I the only one that was paying attention in SGA when they discussed the complexities of the wormhole drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Myth View Post
        Am I the only one that was paying attention in SGA when they discussed the complexities of the wormhole drive?
        No, you were not the only one, but no1 want's another one. A wormhole drive can go into a blackhole as far as I am concerned!

Comment

Originally posted by Myth View Post
          Wormhole drive would require detailed knowledge about the destination and the path between, otherwise you could tear a hole right through the universe and potentially destroy an entire chunk of the universe or more. You couldn't just randomly set an arbitrary destination with it and expect to actually make it there.
          That's why I was personally thinking in terms of multiple wormhole drive jumps rather than just one great leap into the unknown. What you would do is calculate a jump so that your destination is between galaxies where there's the least chance of running into anything. Once you arrive you check your position and then start calculating the next jump.

How far each jump was would likely depend on how good your computers and astronomical knowledge were. For the Lanteans we could be thinking jumps between galactic clusters or even superclusters (for those that aren't into astronomy who are reading this our galaxy is part of the Local Group of galaxies which also includes Pegasus and Andromeda and the Local Group in turn is part of the Virgo Supercluster. The next Supercluster along from ours is the Centaurus Supercluster which is about 150 million light years away).
          XSGCOM: Goa'uld Defence - A Stargate/X-COM Crossover Fanfic

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
            Heh, that's a good idea.

Didn't Destiny cross the intergalactic void in something like two weeks, maybe less?
            That was at Destiny's max speed. An FTL drive can only go x fast. No more or less. The speed of a hyperdrive is arbitrary based on the amount of power fed to it. With a single ZPM, the Daedalus class ships can cross that distance in four days. So, only 400,000 days to catch up

Comment

Originally posted by sgc View Post
              That was at Destiny's max speed. An FTL drive can only go x fast. No more or less. The speed of a hyperdrive is arbitrary based on the amount of power fed to it. With a single ZPM, the Daedalus class ships can cross that distance in four days. So, only 400,000 days to catch up
              I don't see why it can only go x fast..... if that were true they'd have 1 ftl engine not like 10. (I cant remember the actual figure.) Definitely seems to me that, up until now, Destiny has traveled faster through galaxies than between planets. It would only take our ships a couple of hours at most to cross our own galaxy.

Comment

I think people are still missing the point on this. Space is not so simple. Particularly when you're dealing with vast distances. Ideas such as jumping between superclusters may seem easy, but if actually trying to do it, it would still be very difficult, even with all of Atlantis' technology which was vastly superior to ours. And it would be extremely dangerous. The gate networks protect themselves by preventing wormholes from locking when there are issues between the two points. This requires the gate system to have knowledge of it's environment. With wormhole drive, you don't have that luxury. SG1 nearly destroyed a solar system because they bent the rules. And that was traveling a relatively short distance within one galaxy. Imagine how much damage you could do across a tremendously larger distance with no such safeguards. And the power requirements would be massive. Not just because of the power needed to establish the wormhole (which wouldn't necessarily be as much more as some might think) but also the massive amount of power it would take for the shields to protect the ship from such forces. Every time you used it, there would be a chance of the ship simply ripping itself apart upon re-materialization. So risking destroying entire sections of the universe and always being a hair off from having the ship tear itself apart would make even humans think twice about using such a technology. This was something that bugged me about the supergates, though by using stargates, they did give themselves wiggle room in that most of these issues could be accounted for as long as a gate was used. But if just creating a localized wormhole, there would be no safeguards. I don't think even an ascended ancient would have the knowledge necessary to pull it off. You would basically need detailed knowledge of where you're going and the space between which we already know isn't available.

Comment

I haven't read through all of this but has anyone said about Atlantis getting to earth within a second?

Pretty sure that beats FTL even the asgard FTL from the episode of SG-1 where Thor tows the Prometheus back to earth

Comment

we don't know how useful the wormhole drive really is seeing as it was still really a prototype on Atlantis... and the math problem was done in a hurry... the calculations where not perfect so it was full of bugs and power leaks when you think about it... So with time if the wormhole drive was properly worked on it can become very useful using an acceptable amount of power

With progress things become more efficient and practical

But then if they make something like this up it pretty much blows up the storyline of SGU... sure people would stay behind to carry out the missions ... or use the wormhole drive to jump to the center of the galaxy basically ending the series... Then again SGU is marketed more to newer viewers who made not have seen the previous seasons...

To us destiny is full of holes no pun intended

Comment

Originally posted by Gala View Post
                      I don't see why it can only go x fast..... if that were true they'd have 1 ftl engine not like 10. (I cant remember the actual figure.) Definitely seems to me that, up until now, Destiny has traveled faster through galaxies than between planets. It would only take our ships a couple of hours at most to cross our own galaxy.
                      Each FTL drive can only go within a certain range of speeds. The longer it is operating in FTL, the faster it will go. The speed is finite. It has nothing to do with how much power is pumped into it. However, with a hyperdrive, the speed you can travel at is infinite. The more power you pump into it, the faster it will/can go.

Comment

Within the Stargate universe wormhole drives require MASSIVE amounts of power and calculations. The jump showed in Atlantis was infinitesimal compared to the one you would need to make to reach Destiny. One miscalculation and whatever was sent through would disintegrate. This is a technology the Ancients abandoned with good reason.

In our own universe however, I think the producers have said that this will not be used for obvious reasons. I think Brad Wright initially intended to use the wormhole drive to create the whole "stranded far out in the universe" scenario but changed his mind. I think the wormhole drive will be used in the upcoming Atlantis movie which will hopefully put an end to this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by moxxy View Post
                          Within the Stargate universe wormhole drives require MASSIVE amounts of power and calculations. The jump showed in Atlantis was infinitesimal compared to the one you would need to make to reach Destiny. One miscalculation and whatever was sent through would disintegrate. This is a technology the Ancients abandoned with good reason.

In our own universe however, I think the producers have said that this will not be used for obvious reasons. I think Brad Wright initially intended to use the wormhole drive to create the whole "stranded far out in the universe" scenario but changed his mind. I think the wormhole drive will be used in the upcoming Atlantis movie which will hopefully put an end to this idea.
                          You can't abandon what you haven't adopted yet.

I don't know anything about what Brad Wright intended with the wormhole drive.

Comment

It doesn't matter since the wormhole drive doesn't exist.

*glares angrily at "Enemy at the Gate"*
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post

Of course it exists. At least, that's what the voices tell me

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post

*glares happily at "Enemy at the Gate"*

Comment

Working...
                                X