Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the Icarus gate know the location of Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this has been talked to death myself. Quantum Entanglement or other exotic physics properties like that must have been used. If not then routing the wormhole through hoer gates to get progressively closer to Destiny to zero in on it.

Comment

This is a copy of what I posted in another thread. So What do you Think?

Ok People.

Some of you have been harping on the fact that Destiny is moving through Space and that my theory of Spacial coordinates has no merrit.
      Fine, I think I have been missing something which occured to me last night.
      Think of the Destinys address as a Master Code. What if this Master Code instructs Destiny to broadcast its own location so that the gate can pinpoint it, like a network update.

This is why Destny dropped out of FTL. It received the code, drops out of FTL and Broadcasts its position through subspace. The Dialing gate picks up its position and a Connection is made.

I dont think this would be too far fetched to believe because the Communications stones work more or less instantly and they are only small objects in comparrison to the gates.

Also to back up this theory, from when Destiny dropped out of FTL to the time the gates established a connection, a fair bit of time did go by, more than enough time for the gates to communicate. Also the Icarus gate did seem to have some lag time after the 9th symbol went in.

I think destiny was desiged to broadcast its position only when dialled sucsesfully because if it does its updates periodicaly then more than likely the odds of a Highly advanced race discovering it would increase substantually. This would also be regarded as a security feature.

This is why the gate uses all that power, it is working on both transmitting and receiving information to establis a lock.

I think 9 symbol addresses could also be used for connections other that Destiny when
      dealing with large distances.

Comment

but how does it know when to drop out of DFTL
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
        StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
        GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
          but how does it know when to drop out of DFTL
          I am not sure on your question but it drops out of FTL when it receives the code through subspace.
          Subspace communication is not affected BY FTL and the stones prove that.

Comment

i was thinking that the stones work using some kind of telepathy , and that subspace thing was a power generator
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

Comment

Originally posted by morsu View Post
              This is a copy of what I posted in another thread. So What do you Think?

Ok People.

Some of you have been harping on the fact that Destiny is moving through Space and that my theory of Spacial coordinates has no merrit.
              Fine, I think I have been missing something which occured to me last night.
              Think of the Destinys address as a Master Code. What if this Master Code instructs Destiny to broadcast its own location so that the gate can pinpoint it, like a network update.

This is why Destny dropped out of FTL. It received the code, drops out of FTL and Broadcasts its position through subspace. The Dialing gate picks up its position and a Connection is made.

I dont think this would be too far fetched to believe because the Communications stones work more or less instantly and they are only small objects in comparrison to the gates.

Also to back up this theory, from when Destiny dropped out of FTL to the time the gates established a connection, a fair bit of time did go by, more than enough time for the gates to communicate. Also the Icarus gate did seem to have some lag time after the 9th symbol went in.

I think destiny was desiged to broadcast its position only when dialled sucsesfully because if it does its updates periodicaly then more than likely the odds of a Highly advanced race discovering it would increase substantually. This would also be regarded as a security feature.

This is why the gate uses all that power, it is working on both transmitting and receiving information to establis a lock.

I think 9 symbol addresses could also be used for connections other that Destiny when
              dealing with large distances.
              My point was where does it send the signal when the gate doesn't know where the the Destiny is in the universe.

Comment

good point , or shall i call it a dot , how about nowhere
                sigpic
                Stargate Mods List

Comment

Well the 9 chevron code/lock thing is clearly a special use of the gate and doesn't work the same way as a conventional wormhole, Id guess that the 9 chevron lock was original put into the stargate network as a way to lock with gates that move, like if Destiny was moving around the the MW then the power requirements would probably be the same as a 7 chevron address.

Anyway Id guess that all gates have some basic version of the comm stone technology, which in the case of a normal 7/8 chevron address the gate is able to detect using that comm stone tech if theres a gate at the location, which it does just as the 6th/7th chevron is locked (when it has all the coordinates) and then if there isn't a gate there (or if its not functional) then the PoO chevron won't lock, but if the gate gets a signal back then it allows the PoO to lock... this could possible be some power saving measure installed into the gate...

Anyway for dialling a 9th chevron is similar, we've seen the comm stones make an instantaneous connection even over billion of light years, so clearly distant isn't a factor for their power and how they function. But the comm stone part of the gate sends out a signal in all directions, as soon as the first 8 symbols of the code have been entered.. the location of Destiny is transmitted back to the gate, and possible indicates to destiny to drop out of ftl, then when the final symbol of the code is entered it opens a wormhole.
                  I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                    My point was where does it send the signal when the gate doesn't know where the the Destiny is in the universe.
                    Well in that case how do the stones work? Same sort of thing. Subspace is a beauterful thing.
                    If the Gates can transport you billions of light years in seconds then they would have to do the same thing when transmitting there information. The truth is who knows!!!

Comment

how about stones functioning using some sort of telepathy , we know that it works only on people
                      sigpic
                      Stargate Mods List

Comment

how about stones functioning using some sort of telepathy , we know that it works only on people
                        And blue aliens.
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

It would be nice to work on animals , i would like to try tiger or one of my dogs
                          Last edited by webxro; 25 July 2010, 10:06 AM. Reason: spell checking
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Mods List

Comment

Most likely stones work only with people because they are designed to work only for people. You wouldn't want to connect by accident to a stone wchich it's sending raw data that your brain cannot understand, it may kill you or make you crazy.
                            Now, if we disassemble a stone, isolate the part responsible for the transmition, disable any safeguard and connect it to an adapter it may work for general data transmition.

Comment

if it worked this way they already would have transmission capabilities , why it's so hard to think that it works using telepathy
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Mods List

Comment

It's possible that they tap into a unique trait of the ancient/human/any sentient being with the possibility of ascension present in their physiology, like extending a latent telepathic ability.

The Ancients performed a lot of experiments regarding ascension, this could be a rudimentary device that accesses one side of that capability.
                                Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Working...
                                X