Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did the Icarus gate know the location of Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
    Again, there is the range issue: no known Stargate has the range to connect from one galaxy to another without a significant power boost, and only the original 'Gate has that power boost.

Moreover, the Stargates in Universe have a pretty severe range limit on top of the old one, so that makes this plan even more unlikely.

Actually, it's pretty explicitly stated that the reason the connection failed was because they were using the wrong point of origin.
    There is a range and power issue for using a gate to create a wormhole that a person could go through, what about a microscopic wormhole that only a transmission could go through? There is also the possibility of quantum entanglement to be considered, in addition to subspace transmissions that we don't know the speed of. What do the stones use? (which was mentioned before)

Additionally, it doesn't matter now that they are on Destiny but it is pretty clear that Destiny can't get an incoming wormhole while in FTL just like the fact that a ship in Hyper-space can't use the gate. They did state that they origin was wrong, yes, but it also makes sense for a connection to fail if the ship was in FTL. Unless of course the gate network sends a signal to Destiny to drop out of FTL before the actual connection / lock is made.

For my money?

I think the gate network keeps track, as in, the ships ahead of Destiny as well as the gates they pass. Quantum entanglement could allow for instantaneous transmission over incredible distances, thus it if possible they use that for coordination of the position of Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by BomB191 View Post
      how could the ancients make a preplanned route of the unknown?
      You go this way, i go that, he goes the other... If i know that i at least know a point of ref for dialing you!

Comment

true.

i guess another theory could be if destiny was flying in a dead straight line and the ancients work out exactly how far it would travel every year (hence the different FTL stop times) that in theory the gates would know fairly closely to where destiny was in space. but that theory kind of gets poped straight away.

for all we know i could be a combo of several things. some kind of 'gate' stones is a good one

Comment

True dat.. I am hoping they either address this in a Kinosode, or more likely in an episode proper.

Comment

I think it is just one of those initial story premises that you have to accept.

I wonder, did the Icarus gate survive the explosion of the planet? We know that the gates are tough.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
              I think it is just one of those initial story premises that you have to accept.

I wonder, did the Icarus gate survive the explosion of the planet? We know that the gates are tough.
              No way.

A mark II naquadah enhanced nuke makes short work of a stargate. A planet made of naquadria(!) is so much beyond that... it's unimaginable. It's even beyond ZPMs - and one can destroy a solar system.
              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

I think the Periodic update is hightly likely. If you think of the gates as networks then a galaxy takes care of itself. technically you only need 1 gate in the galaxy connected to a great natural power source, say like the volcano as in SGA: Inferno. Realistically, you would probably have a couple for safty sake but if once a year or less they dialed to keep the galatic updates up to date, that would maintain the sheer ability to dial galatically.

Now working that, Destiny auto dials. And Destiny is on a 'pre planned and un-alterable route" If she uploads her route: (course, speed, planned stops) that info can be updated galatically through the networks. That would allow any dialing gate to have a target to aim at when dialing Destiny. This is like in footbal when the QB throws a pass. He doesn't aim directly at the receiver, he aims for where the receiver should be based on their last communication.

Now that being said. I also feel that part of Destiny's FTL keeps her in real space enough to receive dialing requests so that when someone dials to her she get's the message so she can brake to recive the wormhole.

Thoughts?

Comment

That certainly is an option/ Which would explain why she exited FTL in Air.. She got a "incomming wormhole" message..

Comment

Maybe the gates have a communications stones type transmitter for handling this kind of stuff. They don't seem to have a problem transmitting information across a very long distance without a lot of power.
                    Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                      Technically, the 'Gate cannot connect if the Destiny is in FTL - hence why the ship dropped out of FTL in the opening moments of "Air," and then jumped back as soon as the wormhole closed.

That might not have anything to do with what you are saying.
                      I didn't mean that the gates could connect and generate a wormhole, but just that the gate could recieve a signal in FTL, but not in hyperspace allowing it to give its actual location back the dialing gate
                      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

My theory:
                        When the 8th chevron is encoded, the gate knows that a 9 symbol address is being dialed. The gate transmits the ancient equivalent to a network broadcast looking for Destiny. When Destiny receives that broadcast it drops out of FTL and transmits a reply with it's location. When the dialing gate receives Destiny's reply it checks the available power versus the distance and if the PoO is correct. If everything is good it establishes a wormhole.

Comment

The problem with that is that most Stargates lack the specialized control crystals in the DHD needed to dial an 8 Chevron address. Without that crystal any attempt to dial an 8-chevron address would fail when the 7th symbol wasn't the point of origin.

Because of that, I suspect that while any gate CAN dial Destiny, it takes a specialized DHD in order to do it. After that, it just becomes a matter of power, which an exploding Icarus-type planet core provides

We've seen before (Fifth Race) that the only thing really limiting a Milky Way stargate's range is power. In Earth, they tried applying that principle to Destiny by plugging it directly into a star, but Rush and Eli agree in that that wouldn't have worked.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

^^ It didn't work because the power conduits (without repairs) couldn't handle channeling that much power safely (or so Rush says). They were about to blow up the ship and also couldn't sustain power to the shield. The stargate itself was fine.
                            Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

I love SGU but tptb really need to start giving us a few of these details in a blog or something.
                              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Or kino sode it..

Comment

Working...
                                X