No announcement yet.

Destiny's main weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Asgard only had pulse weapons up to the very last episode of SG1, but i do see what your saying about the ancients needing a more powerful gun. Also why couldnt it be uber strong like Dakara? if you look at the star map destiny came from the milkyway and as we know the first thing the Alterans did when they landed in our galaxy was build the super weapon and create life in our galaxy . . . . so therefore the ancients did have beefy weapons already.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crias View Post
      The Asgard only had pulse weapons up to the very last episode of SG1, but i do see what your saying about the ancients needing a more powerful gun. Also why couldnt it be uber strong like Dakara? if you look at the star map destiny came from the milkyway and as we know the first thing the Alterans did when they landed in our galaxy was build the super weapon and create life in our galaxy . . . . so therefore the ancients did have beefy weapons already.
      Is that the first thing they did? Dakara was the first place they landed, but that does not mean they settled for a long time and built that device. They may have landed there then eventually moved to earth. Developed their tech, then went back to Dakara to build that weapon after the invention of stargates.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
        I like Stargate, but it's clearly NOT a show I'd watch for its space battles. They're just very bad in general. Even what they consider to be the best the show has to offer, Be All My Sins Remember'd, is a borefest.
        The staff has never proved to have the slightest clue about what a decent space battle could look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BhvLvQ08RM
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SpRHF9iOcQ

And mind you this one is adjusted to feature battles at spitting range like it's usually done on TV SF. The original cartoon of the early 70s had ships routinely engaging each other at longer ranges. Of course, that's Japanese anime space combat. You just can't beat it. ^^
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSa6Zl8fcyo
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWi-pJLO2m4

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
          Remember Enemy at the Gates and the superhive firing those excruciatingly slow blobs, and Caldwell not even trying to dodge them?
          I think that visual was done in super slow mo, to show how powerful they are.. NOT that they moved like a sprinter in molasis.

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
            Is that the first thing they did? Dakara was the first place they landed, but that does not mean they settled for a long time and built that device. They may have landed there then eventually moved to earth. Developed their tech, then went back to Dakara to build that weapon after the invention of stargates.
            I thought it was, from what was on the SG:U DVD the ancients landed on Dakarah and built the monument (no point in going to a new galaxy if the whole thing is going to be baron and lifeless.) Quick thought tho, do you think that the monument is the Alteran spaceship? Because it had to go somewhere when they landed and we haven’t seen it anywhere.
            sigpic

Comment

I think they would have detected something that would have indicated it as a ship and not just the device. Which SG:U DVD are you talking about. Want to make sure I haven't missed something.

I mean, I see no point in them setting up shop and repopulating it with primitive humans straight away. Though sorry, I would talk about this more but I know this is not the thread for this discussion. But if you could let me know about that DVD you're talking about.

Comment

Im fairly sure its the second disc . . . If so it should be in the star map thing-o With Dr. Jacksons tapes.
                sigpic

Comment

There is something on the econd disc where Daniel talks about the Ancients. But what he says is "They flew to the MW millions of years ago and first landed on the planet Dakard. From there they made their way to earth, which they would call earth for sometime...The ancients left for Pegasus and then ultimately some of the returned to the MW where it is believed they used their knowledge to restart human life as we know it on earth." Surely that means they used/built the device on Dakara upon their return.

Comment

When Jackson said that they left for earth I think it was more like some left and some stays not that they all shuffled off and left their city. But my reason for suggesting that the ancients built the monument when they first arrived was that when Selmak/Jacob said that the writing was one of the earliest dialects of Ancient, there is also the fact that the technology inside the monument is much much earlier then the technology in any of the ancient outposts (because you need to use buttons opposed to a neural interface) but the biggest clue that the monument and Destiny are the same age is the look of the node inside the weapon. I will hunt through all the screenshots to see if I can find a clear picture but it looks very steam-punk like Destiny.

http://images.wikia.com/stargate/ima...ara_weapon.JPG
                    Last edited by Crias; 04 April 2011, 05:36 AM. Reason: Link to picture
                    sigpic

Comment

Dakara monument was built around the time the Alterans first landed there, untold millions of years later, they returned from Pegasus and built the Dakara energy wave-machine inside the existing monument to restart human life in the MW.

Thats how i see it, considering the Earth outpost being recent tech when we find it yet after Atlantis left etc etc.

Dakara is a bit of both and thus must incorporate elements of both

N.C

Comment

One thing i have noticed that Star Trek and Stargate have in common is massive inconsistencies. Alt universe Sam said- " The blasts that hit the east coast were the equivalent of 200 megaton nuclear bombs.." a 200 megaton blast would cause third degree burns like, 400 kilometers away. Whats that, 250 miles? Would not an ancient main pulse cannon be way more powerful, even if only operating at partial strength? In one SG-universe episode the dialed it down to 60% and made a tiny hole in a door on a planet. That blast should have been less then .06%, and that still would have destroyed much more. 60% should have taken out the whole city and surrounding area...Star Trek does the same thing with photon torpedoes. A standard photon is about 65 m.t., but they are super lame when they explode. A single megaton is equal to a million tons, not pounds, of T.N.T exploding! Destiny's main weapon is way to weak...

The Ancients were not dumb. They were peaceful, but they knew about hostile races and other dangers. They would have given both the seed ships and a ship as important as Destiny the best weapons they could. Not the "Phew Phew" barely any effect cannon as someone said.
                        sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                          One thing i have noticed that Star Trek and Stargate have in common is massive inconsistencies. Alt universe Sam said- " The blasts that hit the east coast were the equivalent of 200 megaton nuclear bombs.." a 200 megaton blast would cause third degree burns like, 400 kilometers away. Whats that, 250 miles? Would not an ancient main pulse cannon be way more powerful, even if only operating at partial strength? In one SG-universe episode the dialed it down to 60% and made a tiny hole in a door on a planet. That blast should have been less then .06%, and that still would have destroyed much more. 60% should have taken out the whole city and surrounding area...Star Trek does the same thing with photon torpedoes. A standard photon is about 65 m.t., but they are super lame when they explode. A single megaton is equal to a million tons, not pounds, of T.N.T exploding! Destiny's main weapon is way to weak...

The Ancients were not dumb. They were peaceful, but they knew about hostile races and other dangers. They would have given both the seed ships and a ship as important as Destiny the best weapons they could. Not the "Phew Phew" barely any effect cannon as someone said.
                          the key word there is equivalent. No measurable differentiation between the two, simple as that.

On another note, I enjoy your spam on the Stargate Wikia and how you piss off the Rogue Penguin, I hate that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                            the key word there is equivalent. No measurable differentiation between the two, simple as that.
                            I agree, just because the power is the same does not mean the aftermath would be. It would not necessarily leave just a great blast wave from it. Its power could simply be more controlled. A small amount of explosive on a door compared to a sniper shot. May yield similar levels of force on the target area but in completely different ways.

I do agree that they probably should have dialed it back a wee bit more though, just fort the first shot at least.

Comment

heres the thing destiny as we all know is damaged. we know that all of its power conduits are not functioning properly. therefore the main cannonmay have been dialed down to 60% of its current capabilities due to the lackof it being able to be powered to its full potential.
                              sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
                                I agree, just because the power is the same does not mean the aftermath would be. It would not necessarily leave just a great blast wave from it. Its power could simply be more controlled. A small amount of explosive on a door compared to a sniper shot. May yield similar levels of force on the target area but in completely different ways.

I do agree that they probably should have dialed it back a wee bit more though, just fort the first shot at least.
                                Energy is energy. A nuclear weapon energy release is in the form of maybe 1% gamma and 95% kinetic energy of individual ejected nucleus and maybe 4% hard radiation (electron, proton, nuetron, alpha). That kinetic energy is immediately dumped into the air and earth around it to create the blast wave.

A particle beam would do the same exact thing as a nuclear ground burst. A plasma beam would do the same exact thing as a ground blast. Weapons are weapons. Perhaps an electrical discharge (other than plasma) or laser would be different.

Comment

Working...
                                X