No announcement yet.

Destiny's main weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought the Ancients and Asgard should have been way more advanced then they were in the series.

But, some points to remember, the Ancients may have reached a point were more advancements were very difficult, and they may not have had any reason to advance. They were top dog as far as I can tell. No other races could really compete with them. The Wraith war was probably when they started advancing again. All those projects in the Pegasus galaxy. Arcturas for example. And even In the Milky Way, the Darkara device. And the fact that all the Stargates can be dialed at once. (I am still not quite sure how that works, are multiple wormholes being locked onto a single gate?)

The Wraith beat them because they out numbered them. My guess would be that their were about 20 Hive ships to an Auora class ship. Then the got those 3 Z-pm's. They could have used some of the Z-pm energy to grow many more ships really fast. So, I am just guestimating here but if it was 20 Hive ships to an single Auora then there were probably 2000 Hive ships, never mind cruisers, scouts and darts. Then they got the Z-pm's.

And for Wraith themselves, 10,000 per hive? So 20,000,000 Wraith on the Hive ships alone, and Hive ships can probably hold more then 10k Wraith.

But as for the main weapon of Destiny, even with systems damage its just to weak. Phoo.......Phoo....Ping....Ping.... And the point defense system does fail. Although, it too may be damaged, perhaps the blasts can travel much faster. They could use that excuse if the series starts up again.
    "Oh, we repaired the weapons. They are back to what they used to be before"... or something. Then they make the weapons so much better!!
    But another thought to consider, the Nakai (Blue alien) shields may be quite powerful. And who knows how powerful the Berzerker drone shields are, although bullets got a drone...
    Last edited by Gormagon; 23 August 2011, 10:29 AM.
    sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

And for that door to the bunker , there is always the atmosphere that could affect the hit .
      sigpic
      Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
      StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
      GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Destiny's point-defense weapons seem to be alright. The Nakai fighters apparently had shielding and 1-2 hits could take them down. The point-defense cannons are probably pretty weak—obviously compared to the main cannon but also compared to how they originally functioned.

Also, Destiny's main weapon managed alright against the control ship, granted it didn't have shields.

I would wager that in perfect working order both the point-defense weapons and the main weapon were extremely formidable. However, at this point in Destiny's long life, the way she's suffering energy losses it's probably like trying to run Atlantis off of a single Mark I naquadah generator.

Comment

True, weapons do degrade over times. Perhaps their capacitor banks can't hold as much of a charge as they used to.. so the output power is less.

Comment

Yup which is why the NEED TO GET THEM FIXED somehow. No more "phoo phoo phoo'....instead, BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Though sound does not travel through a vacuum.

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
              Yup which is why the NEED TO GET THEM FIXED somehow. No more "phoo phoo phoo'....instead, BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Though sound does not travel through a vacuum.
              You would likely hear the weapons from inside Destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                You would likely hear the weapons from inside Destiny.
                Yeah, but I was talking about the space battles. Although, soundless space battles would be less cool. But more scientific. And light is conveyed just fine, so we could still have the visual effects.

Comment

great to see the main weapon take out a command ship

The lieutenant steers the destiny from left to right in a slow arc to bear on to a deviating command ship

you see the main weapon firing MISSING the command ship on it's left hand edge

but slowly Lieutenant steers the Destiny right until the weapon is hitting the command ship (which apparently has no shields?) which seconds later explodes

Comment

Originally posted by the-nothing View Post
                    which apparently has no shields?
                    Or is ineffective against the main weapon

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      I think that visual was done in super slow mo, to show how powerful they are.. NOT that they moved like a sprinter in molasis.
                      Nothing indicates that it's in slowmo. Even the splashes against the shields don't appear slow.
                      Just sitting there was stupid, and those slow bolts and beams is just the trademark of Stargate of late. Very rarely the VFX makers make fast moving bolts or beams. The worst of all being the sluggish beams fired by the Ori warships' main weapon. When I expected some kind of super kameha or some kind, we got a stretched spit, an excruciatingly slow geyser of urine. I want turbo charged urine hoses god dammit!
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Gormagon View Post
                        One thing i have noticed that Star Trek and Stargate have in common is massive inconsistencies. Alt universe Sam said- " The blasts that hit the east coast were the equivalent of 200 megaton nuclear bombs.." a 200 megaton blast would cause third degree burns like, 400 kilometers away. Whats that, 250 miles? Would not an ancient main pulse cannon be way more powerful, even if only operating at partial strength? In one SG-universe episode the dialed it down to 60% and made a tiny hole in a door on a planet. That blast should have been less then .06%, and that still would have destroyed much more. 60% should have taken out the whole city and surrounding area...
                        It should have literally left a multi-miles wide crater in place of the city. Let's remember that the medium tri-bore cannons were enough to deplete the energy reserves of Destiny in a short amount of time; reserves which can be recharged by taking dives into stars, from anything like Sol to blue supergiants.
                        Anything like 60% of the main gun would have looked like a massive nuclear firework. Not something just good enough to dent some armoured door some infantry on the ground could carve through with plastic charges.
                        The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Did noob'tauri say that he was impressed by the slow moving blobs, that they were pretty and that was art?
                          Damn, no wonder I don't pay attention to his posts anymore. The worst thing of all is that the makers of Stargate probably think like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                            Nothing indicates that it's in slowmo. Even the splashes against the shields don't appear slow.
                            Just sitting there was stupid, and those slow bolts and beams is just the trademark of Stargate of late. Very rarely the VFX makers make fast moving bolts or beams. The worst of all being the sluggish beams fired by the Ori warships' main weapon. When I expected some kind of super kameha or some kind, we got a stretched spit, an excruciatingly slow geyser of urine. I want turbo charged urine hoses god dammit!
                            The Ori main gun was essentially a close combat weapon. Mind as well have gone Imperium style with the energized ramming spike instead. Or Maybe just a giant mechanical arm holding a sword, or better yet, a staff weapon.

Comment

That main weapon dish thing came very close to be some kind of toilet plunger. Perhaps a bit too Dalekish.
                              So they went for the gramophones.
                              I'm starting to love those atrociously edited videos by random stargate fans wherein everything is sped up.
                              All those shows will look so outdated when one will really dare use and abuse proper space weaponry.
                              Heck, Star Trek almost got there with ranges in the thousands of km, only to be betrayed by visuals (like Andromedang).

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                                That main weapon dish thing came very close to be some kind of toilet plunger. Perhaps a bit too Dalekish.
                                So they went for the gramophones.
                                I'm starting to love those atrociously edited videos by random stargate fans wherein everything is sped up.
                                All those shows will look so outdated when one will really dare use and abuse proper space weaponry.
                                Heck, Star Trek almost got there with ranges in the thousands of km, only to be betrayed by visuals (like Andromedang).
                                I always liked how the Andromeda writers wrote their canon policy around the expectation that it would be inevitable the visuals got horribly ****ed up.

I think Mass Effect is doing something similar as well.

It's really the only sensible way to handle that issue that I can think of. It completely gets around the whole idiotic "gigatons in scene A, fireworks in scene B" that every other visual sci-fi universe seems to suffer from.

Just decanonize all the farmed out FX stuff from day one and post numbers somewhere else where they don't change. Perfect, and no one that doesn't care about the numbers/realism will even know you did it so everybody gets what they want. Realistic numbers and tech that makes sense for the people that care about that in a setting, including those that care about building it, and flashy wizz bang space battles from dogfighting ranges for those that don't.

I would still love to see a 2001 style series with space combat some day though.

Comment

Working...
                                X