Repairing the destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alx View Post
    firts of all "thousands of millions of years"? that has never been stated.
    and imo yes the seeders would imo be a great repair platform for the destiny and im positive well see a seeder ship before the series ends with a heap of loose ends (as thats Sg tradition )

and pretty recent damage? how could you possibly tell? its CGI.
    Ow sorry, i meant to say thousands or millions and not off millions. Also i believe that a matter conversion has not utilized by the ancients at that time, we have no indication that they have used it until after they ascended, or advanced more with technologies.

Recent as in hundreds of years at least, no more. If it would be old damages how the hell was there still air on the ship? If the leak was so small for a venting to be happening during thousands of years there would be not enough air to sustain them. The leak was severe as indicated by Rush's or Scott's hair movements when air was getting sucked out. And by the Senator's quick death.
    Last edited by Steelbox; 26 January 2010, 08:26 AM.
    sigpic
    - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
      If it would be old damages how the hell was there still air on the ship? If the leak was so small for a venting to be happening during thousands of years there would be not enough air to sustain them. The leak was severe as indicated by Rush's or Scott's hair movements when air was getting sucked out. And by the Senator's quick death.
      The leak was incredibly severe: they had only a matter of hours until that one leak would make the air too thin to breath, despite the fact that the air seemed to be of fairly normal thickness from the time they arrived until then. This would imply that either A) the damage was only a few hours old or B) there had only been atmosphere on the ship for a few hours.

Of course, the very first thing that we see in "Air, Part 1" is air being pumped from vents into the ship - furthermore, the steam-like appearance of the air being pumped from the vents would seem to imply that the inside of the Destiny was a vacuum.

In other words, it is quite possible that the ship was kept in vacuum during the entirety of its journey, with the atmosphere being kept in storage tanks to be released when a crew arrived.
      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
        Like what? The total material require to repair any section would be impractical for storage. For small damages ok, but impossible for the large ones as the round courtyard venting air into space.
        Destiny can pick up materials required for repair when it passes through Star's corona to recharge its energy reserves.
        MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

I'm thinking yes to a seeder ship in the very near future...perhaps lost.

sigpic

Comment

indeed maybe one that has failed and is drifting then destiny pops out of ftl and voila there is the seedership.

Comment

if that was the case the destiny wouldve been found in prestine condition. it was not.
              Actually, Mallozzi said on his blog that the Destiny has some ability to repair itself...which is very vague because we still don't know what parts of the ship it can repair by itself or how long it takes to repair...

where are you getting this timeline from? it has never been stated how old the alteran civilasation is! and right now you are wildly speculating on their age. and i say again Rush said hundreds of thousands ie that is cannon even tho it doesnt follow continuity but SG has never been very good at that anyway.
              Well it was stated in SG-1 that the Antarctic stargate was about 50 million years old (and this was based off of analyzing naquadah decay, not a wild guess after spending a few hours stranded on a ship)...actually, all that is canon is that Rush guessed that the ship is hundreds of thousands of years old, not that the ship actually is that old...

also the tech merlin used was old alteran MW tech not modern top of the line Pegasus tech so IMO it def plausible that the ancients have used matter conversion tech for a long time.
              Where did you get this information? Merlin and Morgan Lefay both returned to Earth from Atlantis so it's possible that the tech could be newer tech...even if the tech was from before the plague, doesn't mean that the tech was around at the time Destiny was built since we know that Destiny is using the prototype stargate design...

Comment

Originally posted by tinerin View Post
                Actually, Mallozzi said on his blog that the Destiny has some ability to repair itself...which is very vague because we still don't know what parts of the ship it can repair by itself or how long it takes to repair...
                true! but it still was not found in prestine condition.

Well it was stated in SG-1 that the Antarctic stargate was about 50 million years old (and this was based off of analyzing naquadah decay, not a wild guess after spending a few hours stranded on a ship)...actually, all that is canon is that Rush guessed that the ship is hundreds of thousands of years old, not that the ship actually is that old...
                i was stating what has been said not speculating wildly.

Where did you get this information? Merlin and Morgan Lefay both returned to Earth from Atlantis so it's possible that the tech could be newer tech...even if the tech was from before the plague, doesn't mean that the tech was around at the time Destiny was built since we know that Destiny is using the prototype stargate design...
                ok since you responded without bothering to read my previous post ill say it again.
                IMO its def plausible that the ancients have used matter conversion tech for a long time.

and the destiny isnt using the "prototype" gate design, as evident by Ark of truth the prototype gates were of MW design. but here the TPTBs issues with continuity makes an apearance yet again.

Comment

Reading this, it occurred to me: the Stargate works by dematerializing an object and reconstructing it. In other words, Stargates are effectively giant replicators, since there is no reason (in principle) that you could not use the same deconstruction/reconstruction technology used by the Stargate to "deconstruct" some ore and "reconstruct" it as a useful part.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                  - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                  - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                  - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                    Reading this, it occurred to me: the Stargate works by dematerializing an object and reconstructing it. In other words, Stargates are effectively giant replicators, since there is no reason (in principle) that you could not use the same deconstruction/reconstruction technology used by the Stargate to "deconstruct" some ore and "reconstruct" it as a useful part.
                    indeed if the ancients could do that there is no reason to asume they couldnt do it in other ways as even a younger race like the asgard knew how to use matter conversion perhaps they even learned it from their encounter with the ancient database...
                    which thor said they had barly scratched the surface of.

and i still believe the matter conversion tech that merlin used was of an older design. but as there are no evidence to the contrary its just speculation but to me it is logical.

Comment

i was stating what has been said not speculating wildly.
                      So it's canon that Rush said that Destiny was launched hundreds of thousands of years ago...Doesn't mean that Rush was correct...

and the destiny isnt using the "prototype" gate design, as evident by Ark of truth the prototype gates were of MW design.
                      The Destiny's stargate is the prototype gate design...

Comment

So it's canon that Rush said that Destiny was launched hundreds of thousands of years ago...Doesn't mean that Rush was correct...
                        i wasnt saying that he was right i was simply stating what has been said and i was not speculating.

The Destiny's stargate is the prototype gate design...
                        No it isnt watch Ark of truth for yourself and look at the drawing.

here is said drawing by "Amelius" (designed and made the ark btw)
                        Spoiler:

if you look at the Glyphs they are very diffrent from the SGU glyphs and look more like the ones on the MW gate then the SGU one,
                        but ill say this again as you are not listening Stargate is riddled with continuety problems this is one among many.
                        Last edited by Alx; 26 January 2010, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Yes it is...it's not a continuity problem; it's called a retcon...

Comment

potato potAto.
                            Last edited by Alx; 26 January 2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

i wasnt saying that he was right i was simply stating what has been said and i was not speculating.

No it isnt watch Ark of truth for yourself and look at the drawing.

here is said drawing by "Amelius" (designed and made the ark btw)
                              Spoiler:

if you look at the Glyphs they are very diffrent from the SGU glyphs and look more like the ones on the MW gate then the SGU one,
                              but ill say this again as you are not listening Stargate is riddled with continuety problems this is one among many.
                              In one of the Kinosodes Eli states that Rush thinks the Destiny's gate is a prototype design, I agree with you about the continuity errors.
                              "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                              "That he is concealing something."
                              "Like what?"
                              "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                              "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                              "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                              "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                                In one of the Kinosodes Eli states that Rush thinks the Destiny's gate is a prototype design, I agree with you about the continuity errors.
                                ah i see he does does he well i might check some of those kinosodes sometime in the future. unlikly tho as i am not a "fan" of sgu..

Comment

Working...
                                X