Repairing the destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alx View Post
    also the tech merlin used was old alteran MW tech not modern top of the line Pegasus tech so IMO it def plausible that the ancients have used matter conversion tech for a long time.
    I'm going to take issue with describing Pegasus-era Ancient technology as "top of the line." The Ancients that fled to Pegasus were effectively refugees. By that point, the Plague had wiped out almost their entire civilization, so it seems quite likely that the Ancients in Pegasus were in what amounts to a Dark Age.

ive read 3.3 thousand years somewhere to go from the ori galaxy to the MW but that might have been a fanfiction... anyhoo Jackson said several thousand years i believe.
    Actually, he said that the phrase could mean "thousands," but he wasn't sure - it could very well have meant "millions."

but the sketch had the glyphs drawn on it not the SGU lettering. but continuity issues (yet again)
    All that that means is that the Destiny 'Gates are not advanced enough to use constellation glyphs (given the range of the 'Gates).

Or, you know, since the Destiny is constantly on the move and the 'Gate-seeders have to seed dozens of different galaxies, using constellations for the glyphs does not make sense.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
      I'm going to take issue with describing Pegasus-era Ancient technology as "top of the line." The Ancients that fled to Pegasus were effectively refugees. By that point, the Plague had wiped out almost their entire civilization, so it seems quite likely that the Ancients in Pegasus were in what amounts to a Dark Age.
      in your oppinion yes but mckay states in the ep were he blows up 3/4 of a solar system "Their latest stuff to... well their latest being 10 000 years old"
      and there has been no indication of this suposed "dark age" as some of the most ingenious inventions were invented while they were in pegasus also this has never been stated in the show.

Actually, he said that the phrase could mean "thousands," but he wasn't sure - it could very well have meant "millions."
      again in your oppinion yes, and if he was sure or not wasnt clear, and you are specualting, its still a continuety error imo. and when did 1000 start meaning 1000 000?

All that that means is that the Destiny 'Gates are not advanced enough to use constellation glyphs (given the range of the 'Gates).
      more speculation. but im inclined to agree.

Or, you know, since the Destiny is constantly on the move and the 'Gate-seeders have to seed dozens of different galaxies, using constellations for the glyphs does not make sense.
      that still doesnt solve the CONSTANT inconsintency errors TPTB are responsible for.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post

Mallozzi has stated that the range of Destiny stargates is a power issue since they have no DHD's...even though it hasn't been explicitly stated, I'd assume that the range limit on the stargate aboard the Destiny is a safety mechanism to ensure that the remote DHD can dial back to the Destiny....

It was actually stated when SGU was first announced that the Destiny stargate glyphs are like a generic Ancient coordinate system whereas Milky Way and Pegasus gates use a more galaxy-specific coordinate system...which makes sense since the purpose of Destiny's stargates are for Ancient exploration whereas the Milky Way and Pegasus gate networks were designed for the developing human societies to be able to interact with each other and with the Ancients so using constellations would make the system easier for humans to decipher...

As far as the glyphs at the beginning of Ark of Truth...the movie was released like a year before they even came up with the concept for SGU...besides the fact that, as Quadhelix stated, the scene would have been impossible unless the Alterans knew exactly where they were going before they left, scrapping an entire series because of a two second scene is kind of stupid...which is the whole point of a retcon...

Comment

for the whole sketch thing you have to remember that when artists come up with an idea, the first idea will change as they work on it. from what the sketch showed us we saw a wheel without many details, so from that we can conclude that its just a light conception.

also i believe they used those glyphs so that fans could see that was the orignal gate designs being made, also aren't the destinys gates suppose to work slightly differently because they are and early model and meant to work for a for any galaxy
          time doesn't go in a linear path like everyone thinks, time is a ball of timey wimey wibbly wobblely uh....

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.
          sigpic

Comment

What ever repair system the ship has, (if it has one) is probably offline. The ship has been flying around a long time, think of the life support, it was totally shot when they arrived. They could have an army of broken repair robots sitting somewhere they cant access... (Just thought of the irony involved in broken repair robots... lol) but wouldn't it be funny if Eli tripped over a little Wall-E looking robot on his way to the gate...

Comment

Originally posted by Eberhardt View Post
              What ever repair system the ship has, (if it has one) is probably offline. The ship has been flying around a long time, think of the life support, it was totally shot when they arrived. They could have an army of broken repair robots sitting somewhere they cant access... (Just thought of the irony involved in broken repair robots... lol) but wouldn't it be funny if Eli tripped over a little Wall-E looking robot on his way to the gate...
              I can only imagine lol.

Young: What is it you found Eli
              Eli: Pit droids!
              Young: What?
              Eli: Pit Droids! Starwars Episode 1 anyone?
              sigpic
              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

omg!!

i was actually thinking a bit older

more like twiggy

beedee beedee beedee
                sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

in your oppinion yes but mckay states in the ep were he blows up 3/4 of a solar system "Their latest stuff to... well their latest being 10 000 years old"
                  and there has been no indication of this suposed "dark age" as some of the most ingenious inventions were invented while they were in pegasus also this has never been stated in the show.

again in your oppinion yes, and if he was sure or not wasnt clear, and you are specualting, its still a continuety error imo. and when did 1000 start meaning 1000 000?

more speculation. but im inclined to agree.

that still doesnt solve the CONSTANT inconsintency errors TPTB are responsible for.
                  They're never going to get fixed. They're constants.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Lol like gravity

Comment

Lol like gravity
                      Or chocolate. Mmmm...
                      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                        I would have put some repair systems on Destiny itself, but seeders sound like a descent backup.
                        Seriously, one would think that given the long term and isolated nature of the mission that the ship WOULD have some self repair capabilities. I mean, c'mon...! Isn't being stranded on a ship a universe away from home ENOUGH without having to worry about the ship making it to the next episode, nevermind the whole season??? I HOPE the characters suddenly discover that there is this self repair mechanism that is just offline, and after they fix the 'on' switch, everybody can then breathe a little easier and actually concentrate on ways of getting home or whatever, instead of a constant parade of "oh god, oh god, we're about to die". It feels like Dragonball Z taking 10 episodes to complete a single battle between two characters... Get to it already..!
                        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Being so old I would imagine Destiny has programs and systems to repair itsself. That would mean either the damage is recent, or it lacks something needed to repair. Or maybe it has repaired itsself and it was alot more badly damaged before now.

I wonder if it could recall a seeder ship and cannibalize it for parts?

Comment

agreed.
                            i wonder do TPTB even read what they write? it doesnt seem like they do.
                            Not everything needs explaining or is conductive to building a tvshow. Its nitpicky details that forced Star Trek into a dying fringe market that had to throw out nearly all of its continuity. And after it did it gained more followers than it ever had.

It may be fun (at first) to pick apart every little detail of a show, but theres a point where it turns sour and leaves a bad taste to everyone involved or who sees it. Then it only hurts a show/franchise and drives it into the ground. I get that we like a show and feel like we own it, but its almost like people need a constant reminder that it isn't real. Doing that either kills the show, or the show gets inevitably retooled and the haters get left behind to get even more angry and isolated.

Are people like this with basketball and football? Or is there a limit where you give up on your team and realize its something different than it was when you started watching and change your opinion?

/endsoapbox

Comment

What we are interested in a show are plot consistencies and in scifi shows people want it to mostly follow the laws of physics. Also if the writers wouldn't have the fear of us coming down on them and ripping every inconsistent and stupid detail of the show they make the quality of entertainment would drop dramatically.

ZOR

Comment

Originally posted by mirdin1992 View Post
                                What we are interested in a show are plot consistencies and in scifi shows people want it to mostly follow the laws of physics. Also if the writers wouldn't have the fear of us coming down on them and ripping every inconsistent and stupid detail of the show they make the quality of entertainment would drop dramatically.
                                It is fiction though. We accept that wolves talk when we read little red riding hood because it services the story that's being told. Why is it ok to ignore some impossibilities and not others? Beaming through the shields for 4 years is ok, but when they have to be lowered one time for the plot to move forward its somehow unacceptable? Why not go into it looking come up with reasons WHY it could have happened that what instead of screaming plot hole? I complain about everything all the time in real life, why would i want to complain about my hobby, that I use to escape from the problems of real life. Seems like that would ruin it and defeat the purpose imho.

Just a suggestion, do with it what you will, but next time just brainstorm a couple semi plausable explanations why or how something could have happened to make such and such happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X