Repairing the destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alx View Post
    if you look at the Glyphs they are very diffrent from the SGU glyphs and look more like the ones on the MW gate then the SGU one,
    No: those look exactly like the Milky Way glyphs. That, of course, raises the question of how he knew what the constellations on Earth would look like long before he ever got here (assuming he even lived long enough to complete the journey - it did, after all, take thousands of years).

Of course, it is possible that his design was "shelved" until they perfected the technology - the Destiny's 'Gate is a prototype, after all.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
      No: those look exactly like the Milky Way glyphs. That, of course, raises the question of how he knew what the constellations on Earth would look like long before he ever got here (assuming he even lived long enough to complete the journey - it did, after all, take thousands of years).

Of course, it is possible that his design was "shelved" until they perfected the technology - the Destiny's 'Gate is a prototype, after all.
      TPTB 1: well this is our new show called SGU its great
      TPTB 2: um what about continuity??
      TPTB 1: never heard that word before...

Comment

On the time period of Ancient Matter Converters, I think what we saw in Quest Part 2 is in fact the latest and most recent piece of technology used by the Ancients. Merlin re-took human form less than 1500 years ago and then he built the sub-network, transporter, and matter converter seen in that episode. That's not to say the Matter Converters weren't around millions of years ago, but the one Merlin used is the most recent ancient-built technology in the entire Milky Way (until Orlin's space-gun and the mini-gate)
        Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
          On the time period of Ancient Matter Converters, I think what we saw in Quest Part 2 is in fact the latest and most recent piece of technology used by the Ancients. Merlin re-took human form less than 1500 years ago and then he built the sub-network, transporter, and matter converter seen in that episode. That's not to say the Matter Converters weren't around millions of years ago, but the one Merlin used is the most recent ancient-built technology in the entire Milky Way (until Orlin's space-gun and the mini-gate)
          in your oppinion yes.

nitpick: merlin did not build the separate gate network Morgan lafey/gunos Lal did
          also the ancient transporters (obelisk) has been around for a loong time as one was found on the sodan planet.

Comment

also the ancient transporters (obelisk) has been around for a loong time as one was found on the sodan planet.
            The Ancients fled Pegasus a loong time before the Sodan found that planet so that doesn't say anything about whether or not the technology existed when the Destiny was built...

Comment

Originally posted by tinerin View Post
              The Ancients fled Pegasus a loong time before the Sodan found that planet so that doesn't say anything about whether or not the technology existed when the Destiny was built...
              i wasnt saying it did i was saying that merlin didnt invent it 1500 years ago try to keep up by reading an entire post for once.

Comment

i wasnt saying it did i was saying that merlin didnt invent it 1500 years ago try to keep up by reading an entire post for once.
                obviously merlin didn't invent it since ganos lal was the one who set up the separate gate network using the transporters... and I can read, but you obviously can't since noone ever even suggested that merlin invented the transporter technology; just that merlin used the most recent Ancient tech prior to their ascension...

Comment

Merlin re-took human form less than 1500 years ago and then he built the sub-network, transporter, and matter converter seen in that episode
                  that is the actual quote see the bolded part?

Comment

what if the MW gates are the prototypes/original gates and the SGU gates are just stripped down simplified temporary gates made to be easy to construct until a group of ancients come along and decides wether or not the planet is suitable 4 thier needs? that would make the MW gates v1.0 and the SGU gates v1.0s

the (s) standing 4 special or simplified
                    sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Thanks for the catch Alx, but anyway my post was more about the matter converter. It's likely the best possible version and there probably isn't one just like it on Destiny.

And I agree with Seyei about the SGU gates being temporary. We know the seeder ships seeded Pegasus and Destiny explored it. Either once the Seeder ships left Pegasus they started using a different gate design (the one we see in SGU) or the Lantians replaced the SGU-type gates with the SGA versions
                      Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by sunrek View Post
                        Thanks for the catch Alx, but anyway my post was more about the matter converter. It's likely the best possible version and there probably isn't one just like it on Destiny.

And I agree with Seyei about the SGU gates being temporary. We know the seeder ships seeded Pegasus and Destiny explored it. Either once the Seeder ships left Pegasus they started using a different gate design (the one we see in SGU) or the Lantians replaced the SGU-type gates with the SGA versions
                        the bolded part is what i believe..

and no worries it was just a "nitpick"

Comment

if that was the case the destiny wouldve been found in prestine condition. it was not.
                          Depending on the capabilities of the repair systems. May be the ancients only design the engines an navigation systems an shield systems to be self repairing. As they were the mission essential systems at least from what we been told.

well if you rewatch Air part whatever again youll notice Rush doesnt say millions of years but "hundreds of thousands" that itself is in contridiction to atlantis leaving earth "several million years ago" but still.
                          also the tech merlin used was old alteran MW tech not modern top of the line Pegasus tech so IMO it def plausible that the ancients have used matter conversion tech for a long time.
                          An how can you tell. He could of just use spare components he found in ancient base an facilities scattered through the milkyway to build the technology.

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
                          that was probably a type-o from the writers.
                          it was also said that the destiny was launched at the height of there power which would put the launch of the destiny somewhere between 200 million and 100 million years.
                          where are you getting this timeline from? it has never been stated how old the alteran civilasation is! and right now you are wildly speculating on their age. and i say again Rush said hundreds of thousands ie that is cannon even tho it doesnt follow continuity but SG has never been very good at that anyway.
                          We know they at least 50 millions years old from the stargate. Add in a other 1 million or so to evolve to the point of being able to the stuff we know they were able to do an you got a rough date 51million years, give or take a few hundred thousands.
                          Hundreds of thousands, could still amount to millions of years.

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          how do we know the seeder ship can help with repairs?? ( did i miss something) ??
                          He made a few logical connections. We know there main mission is to plant gates on planet through galaxies they explore. We know that unless they are gigantic they could not possible carried enough gates. An that the ancients would not know how many gates they would to place on each planet.
                          So to keep it logical they must of design the ships to build build an manufactor gates. They would also had to mind materials to do this. It would not take all that much to extend that manufactoring an minding capabilities an apply it to the destiny.

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                          Destiny can pick up materials required for repair when it passes through Star's corona to recharge its energy reserves.
                          Impressive if it can but are not stars made up of mainly hydrogen an helium. An would not that just a whole load of complications to the engines an collection process.

true! but it still was not found in prestine condition.
                          ok since you responded without bothering to read my previous post ill say it again.
                          IMO its def plausible that the ancients have used matter conversion tech for a long time.

and the destiny isnt using the "prototype" gate design, as evident by Ark of truth the prototype gates were of MW design. but here the TPTBs issues with continuity makes an apearance yet again.
                          From what I remember the only picture we sure of the initial prototype gate design was a hand drawn sketch. An there is a big difference between a hand drawn stretch an working functional device. Also we do not know how long it took for them to travel from there home Galaxy to the Milky way or how much knowledge an technology they may have lost along the way.

So may be the hand drawn stretch was a stretch to far for the initial design an construction of a gate network an so the builders went back to the drawing an simplified the design ideas into a working version which functions reliably. Which they intended to be replace by newer one as an when they figure out how to get them to function better an reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            Depending on the capabilities of the repair systems. May be the ancients only design the engines an navigation systems an shield systems to be self repairing. As they were the mission essential systems at least from what we been told.
                            agreed.

An how can you tell. He could of just use spare components he found in ancient base an facilities scattered through the milkyway to build the technology.
                            edjucated guess and it is what i choose to believe until evidence of the contrary is found.

We know they at least 50 millions years old from the stargate. Add in a other 1 million or so to evolve to the point of being able to the stuff we know they were able to do an you got a rough date 51million years, give or take a few hundred thousands.
                            Hundreds of thousands, could still amount to millions of years.
                            true but again here the continuety issues TPTB continually spew out comes into play (yet again)

He made a few logical connections. We know there main mission is to plant gates on planet through galaxies they explore. We know that unless they are gigantic they could not possible carried enough gates. An that the ancients would not know how many gates they would to place on each planet.
                            So to keep it logical they must of design the ships to build build an manufactor gates. They would also had to mind materials to do this. It would not take all that much to extend that manufactoring an minding capabilities an apply it to the destiny.
                            hmm agreed.
                            From what I remember the only picture we sure of the initial prototype gate design was a hand drawn sketch. An there is a big difference between a hand drawn stretch an working functional device. Also we do not know how long it took for them to travel from there home Galaxy to the Milky way or how much knowledge an technology they may have lost along the way.
                            ive read 3.3 thousand years somewhere to go from the ori galaxy to the MW but that might have been a fanfiction... anyhoo Jackson said several thousand years i believe.

So may be the hand drawn stretch was a stretch to far for the initial design an construction of a gate network an so the builders went back to the drawing an simplified the design ideas into a working version which functions reliably. Which they intended to be replace by newer one as an when they figure out how to get them to function better an reliable.
                            but the sketch had the glyphs drawn on it not the SGU lettering. but continuity issues (yet again)

i wonder do TPTB even read what they write? it doesnt seem like they do.

Comment

agreed.

edjucated guess and it is what i choose to believe until evidence of the contrary is found.

true but again here the continuety issues TPTB continually spew out comes into play (yet again)

hmm agreed.

ive read 3.3 thousand years somewhere to go from the ori galaxy to the MW but that might have been a fanfiction... anyhoo Jackson said several thousand years i believe.

but the sketch had the glyphs drawn on it not the SGU lettering. but continuity issues (yet again)

i wonder do TPTB even read what they write? it doesnt seem like they do.
                              To be honest it probably was not a writing issues, it more likely the art department just being cheap an cheerful an lazy, an instead of just spending time coming up with a original design for a gate, which could later be use in a series, they decided to just copy what they already got an developed.
                              It still does not real out my idea.

Comment

To be honest it probably was not a writing issues, it more likely the art department just being cheap an cheerful an lazy, an instead of just spending time coming up with a original design for a gate, which could later be use in a series, they decided to just copy what they already got an developed.
                                It still does not real out my idea.
                                well i can only compare with what i would do if i was a "power that be" and i would be beyond anal about these things.. but hey its "showbiz" = its all about the money and not the quality of what you produce.

Comment

Working...
                                X