This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
    Ok. I want to make this TOTALLY clear to EVERYONE.

The 8th Chevron, does not JUST open a gate to the Asgard homeworld and Pegasus Galaxy. It is THE chevron for dialing other galaxies.

I am FED UP of people suggesting that the 9th chevron opens a gate to the furling galaxy, or Galaxy X, or the Ori galaxy. That is what the EIGHTH Chevron is for.

There are 39 possible galaxies that can be dialled by using the 8th Chevron. I sincerely doubt that the Ancients visited more than that manu.

Underlying point: The eight Chevron can dial 39 galaxies.

The 9th Chevron has to be something VERY different.
    I agree but there isnt only 39 galaxies thou is there cause dont you dial and entirey different address with your point of origin but also the other galaxies point of origin so why cant the 6 symbol be changed to a different symbol to access another galaxy just i thought kinda tired so might have confused my self
    Scifi Channel President Should Jump off a cliff

Comment

I think the first 6 chevrons are the address of the gate in the other galaxy itself. They remain constant regardless of where you are. Basically dialing earth is exactly the same whether in this galaxy or another. Same address with the added addition of the symbol for our galaxy.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
        I think the first 6 chevrons are the address of the gate in the other galaxy itself. They remain constant regardless of where you are. Basically dialing earth is exactly the same whether in this galaxy or another. Same address with the added addition of the symbol for our galaxy.
        No **** sherlock rofl.

I dont think the Ancients thought they would ever have a stargate on loads of planets in 39 galaxies....for crying out loud lol.

That would be like owning 347 toothbrushes but no socks
        SIGN THE PETITION TO SAVE SG1!!!!!.....NO I DON'T HAVE THE LINK LOL.....

I understand wormhole physics..... I need to get out more

Comment

Em sorry to point this out but IF the 9th chevron actually connects to another Stargate (which one would presume it does)...wouldnt the information we seek be in the Ancient Database? They had to go to the "9th Chevron place" to put the recieving gate there so surely its recorded somewhere.

EDIT: And there is ALOT more possible combinations than 39!

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
          Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
          the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
          Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
          The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

what is this ninth chevron and can someone give me the lowdown on what everybody has thinks about it.

http://www.freewebs.com/furlings187/index.htm

Comment

i bet the information about the 9th chevron is on the atlantis database, but SIMPLY THE WRITERS DON'T WANT TO TELL US

and another thing...even if there are 39 galaxies, i don't think the ancients put stargates in everyone...doh

and why don;t you think of it this way:
              1. since the 8th dials to another galaxy(that's avaible for every galaxy in this universe), the 9th could dial to another universe...
              2. or it could simply open a wormhole somewhere where there is no gate...
              http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4...tributedc0.jpg

Comment

Right.

He-who-must-not-be-cloned,

I was expressing the point that it was not a case of the first six chevrons altering which galaxy the gate dials to, only the 8th chevron does that, the first 6 symbols ALWAYS align to a specific gate. I was attempting to correct someone. No need to get shirty. I also have no idea what your toothbrush analogy means.

Harekin, Please explain how there are more combinations than 39? If (as I got shouted at for pointing out by "must not be cloned") the first 6 chevrons are for dialling the specific gate and remain consdtant whether dialing from outside of the galaxy or INSIDE of the galaxy, then surely, because the only thing which changes to allow you to gate in from another galaxy is the 8th chevron, then there can ONLY be 39 galaxies that can be dialled. Of course, there would be hundreds of gates in each galaxy. So yes, there are thousands of other galaxy gates that could be dialled, but only 39 seperate galaxies. And once again, I hardly think the Ancients colonised THAT many galaxies.

Furlings187, No one knows what the 9th Chevron DOES, however it is one of the usually unseen chevrons that is hidden by the SGC gate room ramp.

Stargate maniack, If you want to read a detailed account of how the gate could be used for trans-universal travel, interdimensional travel, or time travel, please read the second link in my sig.

As for opening a wormhole where there is no gate, that would be difficult, as youd have to pinpoint the exact area.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

What gets me about this whole thing is Daniels original description of how the 6 symbols are used to find a fixed point in a 3D plane, and how they adjust this for drift. There were thousands of planets in the dailing computer after the addition of O'Neil's ancient download. And that was before he dialed the 8th Chevron.

How many symbols are there on the gate?
                  Can they be used more than once in a sequence? (I would assume yes)

The 7th is the origin marker, which makes sense using Daniels first explanation, however, throwing in the 8th for distance some what makes things a bit confusing, as the 8th doesn't fit into the original description of how the gate operates.

Who knows, its not like its real anyways, and the writers can make Clifford the dog come out of the dang gate when the 9th symbol is used if they want.

Comment

Maybe the big Chevron at the top is used to engage/dial the other 8, 7 of those 8 are used for normal travel, the other is fot inter-galactic travel.

Comment

The "big chevron" is always the last to engage and is always the Point of Origin. The trouble with discussing 8th and 9th Chevrons is that in actual fact the 8th chevron dialled is ALWAYS the PoO, and as such, the 7th CHevron becomes the Galaxy 'area code'. So for ease of discussion we just refer to the 8th Chevron was being the area code as opposed to it being the 7th with the 8th being a PoO.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus2508
                        don't mean to burst a few bubbles...

The ninth chevron is doubtfully there as an extra distance exponent...with 30 chevrons, it's highly unlikely the ancients populated 30 galaxies. In order to connect to a stargate, one must be built there first. That means you have to travel via ship. Many of the closest galaxies are hundreds of lightyears away, meaning, traveling at the speed of light, it'd take you well over your life span to get there, even for ancients...
                        Um... There are only nine chevrons on the Stargate, there are 30 SYMBOLS on the gate.
                        sigpic
                        In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Why would they have built more than one gate on a planet? They have ships they don't need more than one gate on a planet.

Comment

even if it is for cosmetics purposes....The viewers like us DEMAND something from it and judging by how everybody gets hyped over the 9th chev...its not a cosmetic thing no more
                            DAM YOU SCI FI.....DAM U TO SCI HELL arghhhh.....

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo
                              Why would they have built more than one gate on a planet? They have ships they don't need more than one gate on a planet.
                              *coughcoughAntarcticagatecoughcough*
                              Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                              Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                              -Audioslave

Comment

Will they ever use the 9th Chevron, hopefully, so they can meet the Furlings yessss!
                                I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Working...
                                X