Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i get a feeling we will know for sure once the 2nd movie happens, if it happens. but someday, we will for sure know.
    SAVE SG-1
    www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
    Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

I have a feeling that the ninth one may be explained in the 2nd movie like he said. Also all of what we are saying is from what we have seen in the show. If anything you must think out of the box. We have seen the gate to unthinkable things. Here is my favorite quotes from the stargate universe.

"With a little gate anything is possible."

"Since i joined the stargate program i stopped using the word impossible." Or something like that from Samantha Carter in the episode that the gamma site was destroyed.

If i were to say anything it would dial a place in the universe. From what we know the Ancients populated this whole dang universe and not just a few galaxies. The ori are more than a few galaxies over so that shows me that most of the universe is populated somehow.

Comment

who knows for sure, it could dial you to another universe
        SAVE SG-1
        www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.

Comment

ok i really dont think the 9th chevron is for a farther distance because if i remember correctly most of the ancient timeline has been laid out from when they left the ori galaxy came to this one went to the pegases galaxy then returned here. and along the way met the asgard which added their galexy. but i just cant see how the ancients could have possibly occupied all the surrounding galaxies yet alone ones that require another chevron.

Comment

hmm i guess they havnt used it yet because they cant all decide what they want it to be for
            SAVE SG-1
            www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I'm hoping it will all be explained in season 12.

Comment

how about season 11 instead? this season we get outs butts kicked, so in a desperate move we send DJ back to atlantis to decypher as much ancient as he can and we discover what the 9th chevron can do and what its for, and along the way we learn how to make zpm's among other cool stuff such as finally finding some ancient weapons we can use of the "gun" type
                SAVE SG-1
                www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by The.Prior.of.The.Ori
                  hmm i guess they havnt used it yet because they cant all decide what they want it to be for
                  There is only 1 universe if there was a second it would still be in our universe!! haha Perhaps a galaxy far far away!
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok, so according to ALL past episodes, the chevrons are used for distance calculations. 7 for in this galaxy, 8 used for other galaxies in the local group, so it would stand to reason that the 9th would have to be used for other groups of galaxies, not just the galaxies in our local group.

Now yall could have already ripped this theory to shreds from someone elses post if it's been posted before, but just thinking about it, it makes sense to me. I dont really wanna read through 38 pages of this stuff lol

Thanks to Captain Jake for the sig!

Comment

ouch

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
                      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Comment

Well i Think its 2 say if a Stargate is in Space or not, i think its in Sga Rising part 2 when shepard goes for the gate in a jumper and and the 2 darts r blocking it, first how does it get the power to open a worm hole without being connected 2 a dhd, and i cant really remember but i think all the chevrons r lite up?
                        someone hav a look
                        Last edited by Aussie Attacker; 24 July 2006, 01:36 AM.

Comment

It is powered by 3 "batteries" attached to the gate.

See any picture of an astria porta in the space and you will see them, they are placed simetric.

G.

Comment

Originally posted by canyoureedthis
                            ok i really dont think the 9th chevron is for a farther distance because if i remember correctly most of the ancient timeline has been laid out from when they left the ori galaxy came to this one went to the pegases galaxy then returned here. and along the way met the asgard which added their galexy. but i just cant see how the ancients could have possibly occupied all the surrounding galaxies yet alone ones that require another chevron.
                            Exactly. That's why I'm in favor of the 9th chevron being reserved for future growth. Planning for growth when you don't know what the future will hold means you should way over-engineer.

By analogy, look at the telephone system in North America, officially known as NANP (North American Numbering Plan). It was originally designed shortly after WWII, and with minor adjustments, has served well as a dialing system for a good 60 years. Considering the original designers of NANP could never have anticipated pagers, cell phones, etc., that's one heck of a design they did to plan future growth.

The Stargate has 39 symbols, so 8-digit dialing can take you up to 39 different galaxies. If the Ancients anticipated ever needing to dial a 40th galaxy, for example, then by adding a 9th symbol, the number of galaxies that can be dialed expands to a theoretical 1521--far more than they would probably ever need.

Or, if the 9th symbol was reserved in anticipation of someday traveling to another galactic supercluster, then you can dial up to 39 superclusters, and up to 39 galaxies within each cluster.

Here’s yet another possibility, again drawing from the real world. Routers handle address translations between computers in a private network, and the outside world of the Internet. Perhaps the 9th symbol could have to do with defining “private” gate address ranges, expanding hugely the possible number of usable gate addresses. So the 9th symbol could cause a gate to act as a router between entire networks.
                            --Gilgamesh

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Gilgamesh
                              Exactly. That's why I'm in favor of the 9th chevron being reserved for future growth. Planning for growth when you don't know what the future will hold means you should way over-engineer.

By analogy, look at the telephone system in North America, officially known as NANP (North American Numbering Plan). It was originally designed shortly after WWII, and with minor adjustments, has served well as a dialing system for a good 60 years. Considering the original designers of NANP could never have anticipated pagers, cell phones, etc., that's one heck of a design they did to plan future growth.

The Stargate has 39 symbols, so 8-digit dialing can take you up to 39 different galaxies. If the Ancients anticipated ever needing to dial a 40th galaxy, for example, then by adding a 9th symbol, the number of galaxies that can be dialed expands to a theoretical 1521--far more than they would probably ever need.

Or, if the 9th symbol was reserved in anticipation of someday traveling to another galactic supercluster, then you can dial up to 39 superclusters, and up to 39 galaxies within each cluster.

Here’s yet another possibility, again drawing from the real world. Routers handle address translations between computers in a private network, and the outside world of the Internet. Perhaps the 9th symbol could have to do with defining “private” gate address ranges, expanding hugely the possible number of usable gate addresses. So the 9th symbol could cause a gate to act as a router between entire networks.
                              That has to be the most thought out answer I have ever read on this forum. It's so plausible and simple it HAS to be true... Here we all were thinking its another galaxy or something when it could just be reserved for future growth... Wat do ya know lol

Thanks to Captain Jake for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by ProklarushTaonas
                                For all we know the 9th chevron could be to terraform an certain planet once the DHD has been set
                                A 9th chevron isn't needed to terraform a planet; that, I'm pretty sure, is what the device on Dakara was for.

Sure, now we all call it an Ancient Superweapon, but that's only because... well.. everyone today keeps wanting to use it as a weapon.

But I think it makes more sense the Dakara device's original purpose, besides spreading life throughout the galaxy, was to terraform a planet via a stargate. In fact, its initial purpose could have been a terraformer, and only later was reprogrammed by the Ancients during the plague to reseed life on planets in the gate network.

During construction of the gate network, the Ancients would presumably send out probes, and follow up with a survey expedition ship to the more promising finds. If a planet is reasonably close to Earth-normal, you install a new gate, contact Dakara, request a terraform, and move on to the next prospect.

As you travel around installing new gates, you can be resupplied via an on-board ship gate that serves as a temporary local gate during installation of a planetary gate.

The survey ship itself could spend decades establishing new gates without returning to home port, while the crew rotates home every few weeks, months, whatever the schedule may be.
                                Last edited by Gilgamesh; 26 July 2006, 07:39 PM.
                                --Gilgamesh

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                                X