This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Betelgeuze
    You beat me to it, i was going to suggest the same thing.
    sigh i did basicaly say that...ok???
    tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
    yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
    Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
      Since the galaxies you can dial with an 8-symbol address seem to be relatively close (within the our local group), the logical purpose for an 9-symbol address would be to travel to an non-local galactic group.
      That's what I said, except you rephrased it. Thanks for the green Jarnin.
      Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
      Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

where is this mythical 9th chevron mentioend?
        The Advertisements MGM never wants you to see!!

Comment

If you can use the 8th chevron to dial any other stargate network, maybe something different would be cool.
          Maybe the ninth chevron would allow a 2 way wormhole to be established.

Comment

Originally posted by Wineblood
            If you can use the 8th chevron to dial any other stargate network, maybe something different would be cool.
            Maybe the ninth chevron would allow a 2 way wormhole to be established.
            Except you can't use the 8th chevron to dial any other network. You can only dial local networks with an 8 symbol address.
            Anything beyond about 10 million light years from Earth would be outside our local network, and should require that you use a 9 symbol address.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Except you can't use the 8th chevron to dial any other network. You can only dial local networks with an 8 symbol address.
              Anything beyond about 10 million light years from Earth would be outside our local network, and should require that you use a 9 symbol address.
              Hmm, didn't know that, which ep is that mentionned in ??
              Anyway, I have no idea how big 10 mil LY is, but who's to say the Ancients created a gate network that far away ?? Let's say they did, then gating to over 10 mil LY away, by dailling a 9 chevron address, would probably use up an insane amount of energy. From 7 to 8 chevrons the power source goes from power we have on Earth to ZPM. That's quite big. Then it seem logical that the power source for a 9 chevron address would have to be a LOT more powerful than a ZPM, and from what we know the Ancients didn't have that and their attempt failed (Trinity).
              I guess what I'm saying is adding another long distance chevron seems quite redundant and therefore unlikely.

Comment

Anyway, I have no idea how big 10 mil LY is, but who's to say the Ancients created a gate network that far away ?? Let's say they did, then gating to over 10 mil LY away, by dailling a 9 chevron address, would probably use up an insane amount of energy. From 7 to 8 chevrons the power source goes from power we have on Earth to ZPM. That's quite big. Then it seem logical that the power source for a 9 chevron address would have to be a LOT more powerful than a ZPM, and from what we know the Ancients didn't have that and their attempt failed (Trinity).
                I guess what I'm saying is adding another long distance chevron seems quite redundant and therefore unlikely.
                It's the only logical conclusion that the 9th chevron is to travel to a non-local galactic group.

That power source in Trinity was to replace the ZPMs. Who's to say they don't have something else that produces more power than a ZPM.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
                  It's the only logical conclusion that the 9th chevron is to travel to a non-local galactic group.

That power source in Trinity was to replace the ZPMs. Who's to say they don't have something else that produces more power than a ZPM.
                  well did it say that a zpm could only do a 8 chev addy once???the antarctica zpm was almost drained but culd dial pegasus and apparantely could have kept doing so indeffinately so when u consider atlantis had 3 fully powered zpm's...well im pretty sure a single zpm wuld be able to dial a 9 chevron non-local galactic place...ok u see the peg galazy is relatively close so i think it goes like this
                  7 chev=local galaxies ~10's~(no it is not jus 1 galaxy a few local ones)
                  8=inter galactic probably ~100's~galaxies away
                  9=masive intergalactic as in ~1000's~ of galaxies away
                  tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                  yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                  Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Since the galaxies you can dial with an 8-symbol address seem to be relatively close (within the our local group), the logical purpose for an 9-symbol address would be to travel to an non-local galactic group.

Not as cool as another universe or instant ascension, but at least it follows continuity.
                    I've expounded that theory many times myself, Jarnin. It fits the existing Dialing logic, and given the number of Galaxies in our Local Group, it works mathematically with the remaining gate symbols in a 9 chevron address.
                    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

The 9th chevron has never been mentioned in any episode.

Anyway, I have no idea how big 10 mil LY is, but who's to say the Ancients created a gate network that far away ??
                      Nobody is saying they have. All I'm saying is that the gate could dial that far if they have a network out there.

Let's say they did, then gating to over 10 mil LY away, by dailling a 9 chevron address, would probably use up an insane amount of energy. From 7 to 8 chevrons the power source goes from power we have on Earth to ZPM. That's quite big. Then it seem logical that the power source for a 9 chevron address would have to be a LOT more powerful than a ZPM, and from what we know the Ancients didn't have that and their attempt failed (Trinity).
                      Just because they failed doesn't mean they wouldn't ever succeed. The point is that the gates were built with the idea that their civilization would need room to grow, and they'd develop the power along the way.

For example, perhaps when the Milky Way gates were designed (50 MYA), the Alterans didn't have any power sources that could allow them to dial other galaxies. By the time the Lantians are around (5 MYA), they have Atlantis and ZPMs and are colonizing another galaxy.

I think that's a lack of imagination on your part.

Originally posted by RA the sun god
                      ok u see the peg galazy is relatively close so i think it goes like this
                      7 chev=local galaxies ~10's~(no it is not jus 1 galaxy a few local ones)
                      8=inter galactic probably ~100's~galaxies away
                      9=masive intergalactic as in ~1000's~ of galaxies away
                      Well, you're not wrong; you're numbers are off though.

There are only 3 galaxies, and ~40 dwarf galaxies in our local group. If you dial outside of the Milky Way network, you have to use an 8 symbol address.

While you're sort of correct about "local" including multiple galaxies, you're way off on how many. For example, the Canis Major Dwarf and the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxies are within the radius of our galaxy, so you might be able to use a 7 symbol address to travel to those galaxies. However, anything beyond our galactic radius should require an 8 symbol address.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

For example, the Canis Major Dwarf and the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxies are within the radius of our galaxy, so you might be able to use a 7 symbol address to travel to those galaxies. However, anything beyond our galactic radius should require an 8 symbol address.
                        So there are dwarf galaxies inside MW. Cool. Didn't know that before. Thanks Jarnin.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
                          So there are dwarf galaxies inside MW. Cool. Didn't know that before. Thanks Jarnin.
                          They aren't in our galaxy, they are in orbit of our galaxy. I agree that they would almost certainly fall within the Milky Way Network of Stargates. The 8th Chevron would surely be for selecting the galaxy within a galactic group, and the Ninth for selecting other galactic groups. It's not as fanciful as other theories, it fits within the established dialing logic of the gate, and fits the number of useful galaxies in our group nicely.
                          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                            They aren't in our galaxy, they are in orbit of our galaxy. I agree that they would almost certainly fall within the Milky Way Network of Stargates. The 8th Chevron would surely be for selecting the galaxy within a galactic group, and the Ninth for selecting other galactic groups. It's not as fanciful as other theories, it fits within the established dialing logic of the gate, and fits the number of useful galaxies in our group nicely.
                            If Jarnin said 'orbit' instead of 'inside the radius', it wouldn't have confused me. I agree that they probably won't need the 8th chevron.

Comment

I have been dying to find this out ever since... ever. It was amazing the first time they used the 8th... I desperately want to see a 9th Chevron episode - and I hope they make its function interesting. What do you reckon it does?
                              I salute Stargate SG-1.

Comment

Well, I had a thought a while back. If the seventh chevron takes you between stars, and the eighth between galaxies, maybe the ninth takes you between universes. I wrote a fanfic series about that – link's in my sig, if you're interested. The series is called "Chevron Nine," and it's a spin-off from my other story "The Burning Horror."

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Working...
                                X