Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going by the whole logic of the last coordinate being the point of origin, the first 7 would be equivalent to a phone number for the planet, the 8th being the galaxy and the 9th being the last would be a point of origin from who knows where?
    But then again the writers probably added the 9th way back when as a redundant Chevron that would be used as an extra Chevron for when they developed a further distance calculation for whatever purpose they decided on later.
    There is also the possibility that the answer lies in Atlantis somewhere as well buried in the database of the computer.
    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
    Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by Turboz
      Well I think the self destruct theory is out - Ancients wern't nasty people.

Alternate universe - interesting theory...

Perhaps it's a direct portal to the higher plane of existence?

Perhaps it's for dialling moving targets (EG space ships, atlantis, transporter rings etc).

Perhaps it's a switch to change gate modes. IE We use Mode 1, (6 diallers, 1 POG, 1 distance calc). Maybe there is a mode 2? - IE to dial another gate so people can COME FROM that gate.

Maybe it's a stargate storage connection - IE like connecting to Idrive/xdrive.com and storing things there. Maybe it was used as an infinate storage device. Walk in put things down and walk out. Walk back in, find it walk back out..

More to come...

-Turboz
      . I can just imagine the possibilties if people were able to create incoming wormholes to wherever they wanted. The possibilities of screwing people over are just too good. If you know exactly when someone is going to go throught he game, you can create a wormhole to wherever you want at that moment, ant capture them, etc. Good stuff.
      The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Perhaps it's just used to expand the number of combinations possible. If the Ancients expected to build a horrificly monumental number of Gates then the number of 7 chevron addresses could be exhausted, using the 9th Chevron would increase the number of possible combinations 39fold
        I hope you like Guinness, I find it to be a good substitute for food.

Comment

Even with hyperdrive, it must have taken them them centuries to complete juch a vast gate system. And then another in Pegasus.
          As a civilization, they must have been pretty bored to do something like that. I mean imagine getting funding from our government for something that wouldnt directly benefit us in any way, but would instead allow future people to travel conveniently. The Ancients must have had a society with very few problems, if any. Such a collective effort is...monumental.
          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

I had always asumed that the Ancients just installed gates on planets that they had settled or had planed to settle an dlater gave some to their allies.

Comment

Come to think about it do we even know which chevrons have to be used and in what order?

I mean instead of using chevron 1 to start dialling, what would happen if we started with chevron 2 instead and chevron 7 moved to chevron 8? - 7 chevrons would still be used but they would each move forward 1 position. Would the stargate still work?

Could we simply go round in a circle instead of down 1 side, down the other then engage the top chevron?

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Well each chevron represents a point in space right? so it would be like (4,5,6) instead of (6,5,4). If there happens to be a stargate at the new coordinates, it'll send you there, otherwise the address is invalid.

Comment

Ascension, that's its purpose.

Comment

Dial 9 and you ascend. Now there is a whole can of worms if you get into that.
                    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                    Pay it forward

Comment

Perhaps the 9th symbol is for diagnostic purposes.

Comment

Maybe its for the express purpose of creating arguements among members which server no other purpose than promote the show.

Comment

I very much doubt, it is anything to do with asention, oranother universe, i believe its adds another distance calculation, so the gate can go even further, or its something to do with the gate itself, or is used to gail a number of gates or to do something to the targaet gate, like provide it with extra energy, so you can gail back but i doubt we will really find out, because i doubt the ancients colonised a galaxy that far out.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                            If you had continued to read you would see that I added intelligent discussion in another post, but as usual Three_PhD's you jumped at the first chance to insult someone rather than thoroughly reading.

Also there is nothing wrong with mixing in a little humor in scientific discussion. Mixing science and humor, I think they do that in that one show we watch...what's it called? Oh now I remember, Stargate.
                            I'm concerned for this forum. It seems there are members who obviously aren't infants but don't know the definitions of peurile words like "attack" and "insult". This doesn't necessarily mean that they're stupid, but they are ignorant.

www.dictionary.com, or download a Googlebar, for crying out loud.

As an aside they also have villiage idiots on Stargate.

Originally posted by Hermiod
                            If you don't like what people post in Science and Tech than don't read it. We have a freedom to say what we want, so if someone wants to make a joke they have every right to. It's not against the forum rules and if it was out of place a forum administrator would mention it.
                            No you don't. This is a message board, it does not have a constitution, it has a set of rules that say don't spam the sodding forum. Quit moaning and accept the fact that spamming is vacuous.
                            Last edited by Lord §okar; 26 October 2005, 01:00 AM.
                            Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                              I'm concerned for this forum. It seems there are members who obviously aren't infants but don't know the definitions of peurile words like "attack" and "insult". This doesn't necessarily mean that they're stupid, but they are ignorant.

www.dictionary.com, or download a Googlebar, for crying out loud.

As an aside they also have villiage idiots on Stargate.
                              From Dictionary.com:

Insult - to affront or demean.
                              Affront - To meet defiantly; confront.
                              Demean - To debase, as in dignity or social standing.
                              Debase - To lower in character, quality, or value; degrade.

Three PhDs confronted myself and one other (I forget who) about our remarks. By saying
                              Originally posted by Three PhDs
                              What was supposed to be a decent informed and intelligent discussion
                              implies that our remarks were un-intelligent, which would be degrading us. Which in turn would be demeaning us. He affronted and demeaned, therefore according to the reference you provided, he insulted.

As an aside, the subtle implication that we are village idiots would also be, by your reference, an insult.

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                              No you don't. This is a message board, it does not have a constitution, it has a set of rules that say don't spam the sodding forum. Quit moaning and accept the fact that spamming is vacuous.
                              Interesting, you violated two rules of the forum, both being disrespectful (as demonstrated by the above defined insult) and being off-topic, in order to prove he violated one rule of the forum.

Anyways, back to the topic. I agree with those that suggested that the ninth chevron may simply be an add-on that was never employed. Many video game systems have expansion ports for future hardware updates that were never used.
                              Last edited by walterIsTheMan; 26 October 2005, 07:44 AM.

Comment

implies that our remarks were un-intelligent, which would be degrading us.
                                I don't see how describing something with accuracy could be classed as degrading it.

As an aside, the subtle implication that we are village idiots would also be, by your reference, an insult.
                                Actually I wasn't implying anything of the sort, merely that there are lots of things in Stargate that we needn't do just because they do.

Interesting, you violated two rules of the forum, both being disrespectful (as demonstrated by the above defined insult) and being off-topic, in order to prove he violated one rule of the forum.
                                Good lord, what disrespect is there? Would you disagree that spamming is a vacuous discourse?
                                Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Working...
                                X