Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is possible, but I highly doubt it, with the Ancients' level of technology, they could have easily added a ninth chevron when they needed it, just as easily as it would have been to program the ninth one.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
      It is possible, but I highly doubt it, with the Ancients' level of technology, they could have easily added a ninth chevron when they needed it, just as easily as it would have been to program the ninth one.

Owen Macri
      it'd take awhile to go around and do that... (quote from you )

That would take to long, like cleaning every inch of The Empire State Building with a Q-Tip.

Owen Macri
      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
      LANDRY
      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
      Mmm... Green...

Comment

No, because the Ancients could simply dial every gate, then send through the information and energy required to rematerialize a matter transporter on every planet with every gate (assuming that all of the Stargates in The Milky Way resided on planets, when the Ancients needed to upgrade the gates (if they needed to upgrade the gates) the matter transporters could be preprogrammed to dematerialize the Stargate, alter its' molecular structure, so it had nine chevrons instead of eight, or seven, then rematerialize in the updated forms.

Owen Macri

Comment

So it's more like sending a robotical probe to each and every window of the Empire State building and having it melt and reform every sheet of glass into a slightly different shape and put it back in place. It'd still take a LOT of time and effort.
          JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
          LANDRY
          Mmm... Green...

Comment

No, it would be like sending a robot to every single room in the empire state building, dematerializing the windows and rematerializing them diffrently, in the time it would take to travel to one room and do this.

It would in fact take very little effort and even less time.

Owen Macri

Comment

Except that it would require building all of the robots in the first place...
              LANDRY
              Mmm... Green...

Comment

No, it would not. You simply simulate that the robot has been sent. You will either have to do one of two things, send the information the Stargate would normally take once and have the gate automatically copy it, and send it to each gate. Or send the information multiple times. However, you would not need to build the robot at all, seeing as all you have to do is simulate that the robot has been sent.

Owen Macri

Comment

Actually people think about it this way (I'll try to dumb it down) they dial all the gates in the galaxy at the same project a Replicator (Replicator like in Star Trek) beam through the gate and it materializes a device that will alter the gate

Comment

when this baby hits chevron nine you're gonna see some serious ****. sorry i just couldnt help myself *cackles maniacally*

Comment

No, it would not. You simply simulate that the robot has been sent. You will either have to do one of two things, send the information the Stargate would normally take once and have the gate automatically copy it, and send it to each gate. Or send the information multiple times. However, you would not need to build the robot at all, seeing as all you have to do is simulate that the robot has been sent.

Owen Macri

Thats absurd. First you denounce all of the other posters ideas, which is okay because most didn't make sense, but as soon as someone makes a logical argument for the idea that the nineth chevron may not have been assigned a function you come up with some magical excuse that its stupid. I think your in denial.

I don't care how advanced the Ancients were, they couldn't "simulate" sending the robot and modify the gate for real. Even if they sent ten thousand robots programmed to modify the gate and then move on to another it would take atleast a thousand years. Not to mention the cost of resources, they would have to gather to gather several gigatons of naquada to add the device to every gate in the galaxy.

Face it Owen, I have made a sound argument.

Comment

actually I have modifed Owen's therory alittle so that it makes sense too me, but my post's not here yet

Comment

I reckon it's for utility purposes like dialing every gate in a single galaxy at once, like they do when using the weapon on dakaara. if you could hold every gate active, you could stop people attacking/moving through gates, use it for instantaneous communications, edit specific forms of energy like with the dakaara energy generator. The only problem would be that objects could not be sent through any gate because they would be replicated everywhere or something like that, so once the system was dialed it would look like every gate had been dialed from another destination, including the originating gate. I hope we get to see an offical SG recognition of the ninth chevron and it's purpose, so far TPTB have done a good job of almost everything else in the SCIFI world of STARGATES.

MCL
                          Time to talk to the Asgard and Nox about an Anti-Ori campaign!

Comment

I haven't read all 17 pages and i think somebody may have thought of my theory, but perhaps cheveron 9 connects to alien stargate network?

We know that the Ancients are pretty smart and they built the gate system, but since "the universe is infinite", the Ancients would encounter other races that are equal of not superior to them so it's reasonable to assume that maybe they built a gate network too. I think that the chevron 9 would probabl send you to the distant corners of the universe.

But seriously speaking I think everyone's over analyzing this. Cheveron 9 was built to make the stargate look nice. The Atlantis team is in control of the city, surely they would have discovered a 9th cheveron ability on the DHD computer.
                            ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

You make a good point. But since we ARE analyzing this, lets check off the only logical explanations.

Time Travel: The ancients don't like time travel, and a Chevron based system for designating a time would be complicated, and difficult to calculate a specific time.

Other dimensions: they(the ancients) made the quantum mirror for that, and if the gate did it the number of dimensions would be severely limited, thus its unlikely.

Another Universe: If the Universe is not infinite, and another is out there, then the power requirements for activating such a wormhole would be astronomical, not even that energy reactor that destroyed a solar system could power the gate enough. And whoever tries to say that you could use a blackhole like in the SG-1 episode "BeachHead" your officially an idiot.

The only plausible function of the 9th Chevron is that it doesn't have one, or self-destruct.

Comment

Huh why self destruct? I also didn't know that the ancients made the quantum mirror, which episode was that explained in?
                                ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

Working...
                                X