Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think people forget that the Ancients explored the this part of the Unverse first then built the gate network.

More likly each galaxy they went to had or still has a single outpost and gate so they could go there at any time.

It would explain why O'Neil went to the planet Othella in Ida, since it was the orginally Ancient Outpost there, which makes the Asguard statement that the Ancients already moved on make more sense, they probly moved on to Pegues.

Probly some where on the world Atlantis is there is still an old decomissioned Gate and outpost.

Comment

Ok I have not all the thread but here’s my theory on the 9th chevron now in season 9 we are getting a new enemy
      Spoiler:
      Ori from another galaxy
      what if the purpose of the 9th chevron was to lock those people out of stargate network (sort of locking someone in room and) to keep them away from MW and now somehow they managed to figure out how to get out.
      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
        Ok I have not all the thread but here’s my theory on the 9th chevron now in season 9 we are getting a new enemy
        Spoiler:
        Ori from another galaxy
        what if the purpose of the 9th chevron was to lock those people out of stargate network (sort of locking someone in room and) to keep them away from MW and now somehow they managed to figure out how to get out.

As I understand the gate network you can do that by sending a program through the DHD's.

Comment

Makes sense to me...maybe the 9th is to go to other universes with enough power? Like alternate time lines or something.

Comment

someone may have said this already but i think it might be used to go to different demensions like the mirror device
            anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

Here's an idea. Maybe the ninth chevron can only take one symbol and go to one place - possibly a place of great importance to the Ancients or something like that. Whereas the 8th chevron opens up many new gate possibilities, the 9th can only be used for one.
              Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.

Comment

Maybe the ninth chevron can only take one symbol and go to one place - possibly a place of great importance to the Ancients or something like that. Whereas the 8th chevron opens up many new gate possibilities, the 9th can only be used for one.
                How do you *not dial* chevrons 1-8?

The problem with most of these ideas is that you're often forgetting that you must dial an 8th chevron before you can dial a 9th. That means intergalactic travel.

Another thing people aren't remembering is that you can only dial 38 other galaxies with an 8 chevron address.
                So there is Othala (Ida), Pegasus, and another 36 more out there, maybe. That would take you as far as 10 Million Light Years away from Earth. You still have 99.9993% of the universe left over.

Then there is the fact that if the 9th chevron is used, it's definately a point of origin symbol.
                You can't travel anywhere without a point of origin. When they dialed Hala back in season 2, the point of origin was the last symbol entered. When they dialed Atlantis, the point of origin was the last symbol entered. If you're going to evoke the 9th chevron, it has to be used for a point of origin, otherwise you're not going anywhere.

IMHO, the only logical explaination is the 9th chevron is for traveling between galactic clusters. That would give travelers a range of about 10 BILLION lightyears to explore, which would cover about 60% of the visible universe.
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                  How do you *not dial* chevrons 1-8?

The problem with most of these ideas is that you're often forgetting that you must dial an 8th chevron before you can dial a 9th. That means intergalactic travel.

Another thing people aren't remembering is that you can only dial 38 other galaxies with an 8 chevron address.
                  So there is Othala (Ida), Pegasus, and another 36 more out there, maybe. That would take you as far as 10 Million Light Years away from Earth. You still have 99.9993% of the universe left over.

Then there is the fact that if the 9th chevron is used, it's definately a point of origin symbol.
                  You can't travel anywhere without a point of origin. When they dialed Hala back in season 2, the point of origin was the last symbol entered. When they dialed Atlantis, the point of origin was the last symbol entered. If you're going to evoke the 9th chevron, it has to be used for a point of origin, otherwise you're not going anywhere.

IMHO, the only logical explaination is the 9th chevron is for traveling between galactic clusters. That would give travelers a range of about 10 BILLION lightyears to explore, which would cover about 60% of the visible universe.

Which raises a more interesting question, what if the Anceints aren't from this part of the Universe.

What if only the ones here died or asened and the rest are still living esle where in the Universe.

Comment

german sheppard is right about the wormhole to no gate theory, theoretically a wormhole could be esablished to point in space without a stargate but without an event horizon at the recieving end(created by the stargate) you would simply flow through the other side of the wormhole as energy. another posibility is that the recieving end of the wormhole would jump around from point to point not having anything to lock onto. if you could bypass the event horizon on the dialing gate and then find a way to dial a point outside the gatenetwork (wich you wouldnt be able to do because points in space not coresponding with a stargates location would be invalid, but hypothetically speaking) if you could dial a point in space without a gate and managed to bypass the event horizon on the dialing end then you could go through in a space ship or something else airtight and capable of space travel. we also dont know what conditions inside the wormhole are like, it is possible that you could be crushed instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat
                      That spoiler was "Before I Sleep", not "The Gift"
                      ya sorry about that i noticed that i did that couple times, i must have gotten confused with another post that i was making.

Comment

sorry but that theory wont work. when the ancients first built the gate system they had no need to put more than one stargate on a single planet, so far the only place we have seen that situation is earth becase RA (not an ancient) needed to get to earth by stargate and the original one was lost. lets say for the sake of argument that u are right and that is what the ninth chevron is used for (which it isnt) maybe the ancients did that after they built part of the gate system, lost a stargate. NOPE that wouldnt work for several reasons, if the gate on a planet was lost than another chevron wouldnt be needed that gate would not be acsesible it wouldnt activate, you would also think that is the goa'uld have a device to locate the stargate that the ancients with all of thier technology would be able to find it, or dig it out, they would deffinetly be able to find it because they put it thier and if it was moved due to some kind of uprising than that planet would be abbandoned. your theory is full of holes and im not sure were to even start, but there is no possible way that in the stargate universe as we know it that the ninth chevron would be used to activate a second gate. and the way the gate dials is chevron 12345678, when you dial an eight chevron the gate uses the last symbol as point of origin and if you misdailed say u dialed the point of origin and then the eight chevron the gate would not activate due to an invalid point of origin. also u said that if u just wanted to dial a second gate on a planet in a galaxy than the eighth chevron bypasses and the eighth becomes the ninth, how would a dhd be able to tell if u want to go to another galaxy or if u want to go to another gate, once again your theory is completly implausible and should not even be called a "theory" u have no evidence backing it up and anyone in thier right mind could think about it for two second and relize that that is imposible, no offence.

Comment

But if there was a gate that became lost to the Ancients, they might need to put a second on a planet.
                          It makes no difference what you do to me. But know this, the Ori are all-seeing.
                          [long pause] They are already aware of this affront to their eminence, and shall strike down those who dare to defy them.
                          Nothing yet. You?
                          Drawing a blank. A little thirsty.
                          That doesn't count
                          No, it doesn't.

Comment

Ok, someone can sort of travel to a place without a gate. Look at 1969, there was a weird deal where they traveled out a gate and the gate disappeared. It could have been just a time travel thing, but what if they could do that on purpose without time travel.

Also, they never explained it, but what if the ninth chevron activates when multiple gates are dialed? It is the utility chevron of the gate.

Comment

All the chevrons go "ker-chunk" as you say. At least in the movie they do. Otherwise it's just the one on top.

Comment

Originally posted by alexia_star_2002
                                But if there was a gate that became lost to the Ancients, they might need to put a second on a planet.
                                Gates don't get lost, they get buried. It'd be much more efficient to dig a gate up rather than replace one that got buried.
                                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                                X