Simple Physic, Celerity traveling 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    It's high scholl physic, go argue with my teacher...
    It cant be a very good high school judging by your spelling.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

i am still puzzled as to why its called " simple physics"

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        i am still puzzled as to why its called " simple physics"
        Perhaps it means simple as in simply wrong. Alternately it could refer to how simple an understanding you need in order to not see the flaws in the physics.

Comment

I read celery traveling.
          Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Split, something I didn't catch earlier. p=h/lambda for ALL particles. It's the relationship between momentum and velocity that's different for different particles.

In general:

v = pc/sqrt(p²+m²c²)

Unlike p=gamma*mv, this equation works even for m=0 particles, giving you v=c. For m>0, the two are equivalent.
            MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
              It cant be a very good high school judging by your spelling.
              Hey man, first of all, im french, try to get your way as fluidly in french as i do in english and then come back to talk

Secondly, people who talk about spelling are usualy those who has no idea about the main subject so, by taking the other persone down about spelling , they think they look smarter...

Wake up we are in 2009, people are fead up of this kind of strategy....

And finaly, do you have any thing positive to bring to this thread?
              Last edited by [email protected]; 28 July 2009, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond
                Yeah I know. I was trying to get the kid to realise that he couldn't use the equations he had for photons. I thought it would be counter-productive to teach him to use equations that he isn't allowed to use at school.
                Im gonna ask you to reformulate this sentence, I ve been respect full, so i deserve the same...

If you dont remove or change it, ill ask the moderator to help you do it...

Thank you

Comment

Personally, I think Split is being over courteous, but maybe he is right in that. At any rate, I do not see moderators taking any action.

Looks familiar?

Comment

An "Inertial damper" that works by reducing the mass wouldn't work for very long because it will be smashed along with the rest of the ship, including the crew, by the extreme acceleration.

An working inertial damper would need to keep everything in the ship accelerating at the same rate. There are 2 options:
                    A) The inertial damper replaces the conventional engines, applying the same acceleration to every point of the ship
                    B) The inertial damper accelerates objects that have less acceleration, so they won't accelerate relative to the ship.
                    Option B is much harder as needs to discriminate between legitimate movements like the circulation of the blood, moving hands or walking and the relative movement caused by the inertia.

Comment

and why would that be?

inertia is mass' resistance to acceleration. an inertial dampener does reduce the effect of mass, but i never said "thats it".

also, spelling and grammar can hurt. and French is far harder than english. i personally hate french. dutch, fine, english, fine, german, fine, ancient greek, fine, latin, fine, but i hate french.
                      all seem to make some sense regarding words and grammar, but French never made sense to me.

also, Splitsecond is an actual scientists, and you, on a science level, are indeed a kid compared to him. then again, he couldve brought it more subtle and nuanced

Comment

I think the disagreement is on what it means to reduce the mass. You have to reduce the mass of everything on the ship, including crew, without affecting the bonds that hold or bodies and various structures within the ship together.

But that's a moot point, because mass cannot be reduced. (Don't ask me to explain, it's complicated. Just take it as granted.) You really need artificial gravity to provide inertial dampening.

Looks familiar?

Comment

i know why. 90% of a proton's mass is the bonding energy of the quarks that make it up. reducing mass would tear the proton apart.

ok so artificial gravity can reduce inertia too?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            Im gonna ask you to reformulate this sentence, I ve been respect full, so i deserve the same...

If you dont remove or change it, ill ask the moderator to help you do it...

Thank you
                            I'm sorry you were offended by the post. I personally found it confusing at school to be taught one thing in science class while also being taught the more scientifically correct method that I wasn't allowed to use yet.

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
                              (Don't ask me to explain, it's complicated. Just take it as granted.) You really need artificial gravity to provide inertial dampening.
                              I wish more people here would allow me to not explain complicated things.
                              Artificial gravity shouldn't affect the mass of a particle though. The Higgs field is what you really want to control but I don't think you can reduce the Higgs field.

Comment

Originally posted by Splitsecond View Post
                                Artificial gravity shouldn't affect the mass of a particle though.
                                True, but once you know the history of the term "inertial damper," that sort of becomes a moot point. The term comes from Star Trek, and was invented, to paraphrase the Star Trek Encyclopedia, to keep the crew from being smeared into bloody paste on the wall whenever the ship made a turn. It was a reasonable extension of the idea that ships could have artificial gravity, so if you could swallow that, inertial dampers were just another application of the technology.

The idea of "inertial dampeners" that alter a ship's mass are slightly less reasonable, as they would violate conservation of mass, energy, and momentum, all in one simple piece of technobabble.
                                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Working...
                                X