No announcement yet.

Earth Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we really going to worry about a language problem?

I'm sure they would probably pick the most qualified people for these tasks, and anybody who makes it into SGC I'm sure would be generally familiar with the English language, and ways to communicate with others.

Anyways, in stargate the language problem doesn't exist... everyone speaks perfect English! even aliens.

Comment

There would need to be one world government before we could expand to space as a civilization, having separate nations do it is just impractical and implausible, and with globalization we probably will have some form of world government within the next century anyway.

also we would have to construct a fleet of hyperspace capable ships because there is no way you could conduct an entire planets worth of trade and travel through one 15 foot ring unless we rebuild the gate network with the ability for each planet to operate tens of thousands of stargates at once

Comment

Why are you talking that much about goverment? This expantion should be run by IOA and Earth goverments of US, China, UK, France and other Stargate program affiliated countries. Because as far as I see, if we have 50.000 people we still dont need a goverment for that. IOA is more than qualified to run it as a program, like SGC, Atlantis, Icarus, etc.

And stop worring about the lanaguage. Like someone sad; will use english, problem solved.

Comment

No problem is not solved. For countries that have a romanic language english is nearly impossible. Have you ever heard a Frenchmen speak english? I have, and you dont understand Jack of it.

www.darkarmada.nl
          www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

I'm from Slovenia, Europe. I'm working with people in Paris, France and other countries from the whole world. Their english is just fine. But it's true that Italians and Russians have some smaller problems with it (generations 30/35+ or older)

But on other hand, people who are going to be colonized wont be regular people. They will have higher education or army personal will use that 50 words they need to know. I'm sure that guys from army from countries I mentioned before can learn some english. It doesnt have to be perfect. Also, in case of attack we still have signs for duck, fire, attack, go around, etc. .

Comment

Has anyone played the game Nexus - the Jupiter Incident? That is a perfect example of what we do not want from colonising.
              Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
                Unless we spread out to Mars, Luna and Venus. Because then we can pretty much stay as we are. But with something like letting an Al'kesh crash we could prove we are not allone but keep the gate concealed and bring more tech to the public, that way slowly going towards opening up the gate.

This would give us reasons to unite little by little. And colonising Mars, Luna and Venus would be practical, close and we can work on it slowly, we just need to terraform.
                Now that is a good idea. I'd green u, but it won't let me again

Meridith Medal For Genius-ness Awarded!

Originally posted by RubberJesus View Post
                There would need to be one world government before we could expand to space as a civilization, having separate nations do it is just impractical and implausible, and with globalization we probably will have some form of world government within the next century anyway.

also we would have to construct a fleet of hyperspace capable ships because there is no way you could conduct an entire planets worth of trade and travel through one 15 foot ring unless we rebuild the gate network with the ability for each planet to operate tens of thousands of stargates at once

I personally would like one central government in the future. however, if the gate is revealed as things stand just now, the cracks are going to widen, not bring us all together, imo. And at the moment, I have no wish to give up my nation to a single Earth nation that controls all space travel. That's even worse than each contry having their own rights to gate travel. (And yes, that means I am now contradicting my earlier idea of renting planets and gate use. That was stupid)
                sigpic
                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
                  Agreed, I also think that letting corporations establish offworld headquarters is a mistake. It runs the risk of them seperating from governmental control.

I also think that every colony should either be multi-cutural and international to avoid sparking an interplanetory war based on ancient Earth-based prejudices.
                  I would imagine those going off world would be a better class of people that we what we have (we've got lot 5 billion deadbeats on this planet). I can't see a bunch of nerds plotting to destroy the nerds on the other side of the ocean just because they use Macs instead of PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                    I would imagine those going off world would be a better class of people that we what we have (we've got lot 5 billion deadbeats on this planet). I can't see a bunch of nerds plotting to destroy the nerds on the other side of the ocean just because they use Macs instead of PCs.
                    5 billion deadbeats? 1 in 6 is a deadbeat? Get over yourself.

And if you give any one group power over another, they will use it. And enjoy it. So yes, given the opportunity, they very well might.
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
                      No problem is not solved. For countries that have a romanic language english is nearly impossible. Have you ever heard a Frenchmen speak english? I have, and you dont understand Jack of it.
                      Locutes the main language doesn't have to be English, TBH it doesn't really matter what it is, as long as whatever training off world travelers get is sufficient to allow those people to understand the necessary terms you're sorted.
                      Like others have said people traveling to work off world won't be your run of the mill, basic standard of educated people.

I've worked in many places having to deal with a variety of people from various different countries and even if it takes some time to get their points across to me or vice versa it's easy enough to get to an understanding of what the other person means and I think most of those people didn't even study English in much detail.
                      Even now, using basic real world technologies translation devices are improving all of the time those can be a safety net, so the language barrier isn't a constant, it can also be easily overcome with the right kinds of education in languages and the proper pronunciation skills.
                      Really it's not the hardest problem to solve, just requires some carefully worked out solutions or ongoing improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                        5 billion deadbeats? 1 in 6 is a deadbeat? Get over yourself.

And if you give any one group power over another, they will use it. And enjoy it. So yes, given the opportunity, they very well might.
                        That would be 5 of 6 are deadbeats. We're not making these worlds housing projects or subdivisions, they'd be more like Industrial Based complexs. It'd be difficult to imagine they'll be looking for slackers to sign up for the off world programs.

Comment

That would be 5 of 6 are deadbeats. We're not making these worlds housing projects or subdivisions, they'd be more like Industrial Based complexs. It'd be difficult to imagine they'll be looking for slackers to sign up for the off world programs.
                          ROTF!

Way to turn that statement around.

Comment

y would it be hard for the public to understand the stargate i mean granted uninformed nations would be pissed but i highly doubt there would be a huge public uproar about the stargate (not the stuff we did with it) if anything we should first globalize to an extent and then put the stargate public, not necessarily all the mission reports behind it
                            sigpic

Comment

Yea, I mistyped that.....

But u also made it sound like it would only be middle and upper class people that aren't deadbeats? What was that about? Bit of a stereotype there
                              sigpic
                              385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                                Yea, I mistyped that.....

But u also made it sound like it would only be middle and upper class people that aren't deadbeats? What was that about? Bit of a stereotype there
                                I don't think his statement was about classes to be honest - i think it was referring to the developed/ undeveloped divide in the world. I.e. Earth has 1billion people who live generally western style developed lives in general comfort/ high standards of living - which in turn result in that 1billion population generally having substantially superior education to the other 5billion people of the world - who live in what is basically the third world, where typical work involves subsistence farming, and mass cheap relatively unskilled labour.

Basically - many of the attributes the third world worker force has would be virtually useless for colonisation of space, because as he pointed out - you d want highly skilled/ educated personalle and a developed populace to colonise the worlds, in order to ensure maximum capabilities and benefits from that colony.

lol, a very real and capable idea, would be simply for all the "western" developed nations (including japan, australia etc...) to move from earth, taking their 1billion developed populace with them to set up a high tech/ developed civilisation - and leave the other 5billion people who a substantial portion of live in abject poverty, behind to simply solve their problems naturally, and develop at their own pace.

That would be the most effective strategy... as it would help ensure that humanities colonisation of space has the best chance of success (developed populace and personalle), while at the same time the lower ends of humanity have more room, more resources available to them etc... back on Earth, hopefully speeding up their advancement untill one day more and more of them are ready to contribute to humanities galactic spanning empire.

Comment

Working...
                                X