No announcement yet.

Simply time travel deeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, yeah. I caught that part. But all it really implies is that you can't go to the past and arbitrarily change the history. A limitation of some form must exist. And I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue the opposite.
    MWG Gate Network Simulation

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by K^2 View Post
      Oh, yeah. I caught that part. But all it really implies is that you can't go to the past and arbitrarily change the history. A limitation of some form must exist. And I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue the opposite.
      I would...
      Meh.

Comment

I'd like to hear you come up with a system where you can modify history in any way without limitation and not arrive at grandfather paradox.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Simple, you time travel you change the whole of history. You never were born you just appeared at the time you arrived. The future you remember is a lie and the only time you've existed is from when you arrived in the past.
          Originally posted by Craig Charles
          "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Guest750 View Post
            Simple, you time travel you change the whole of history. You never were born you just appeared at the time you arrived. The future you remember is a lie and the only time you've existed is from when you arrived in the past.
            Congrads. You just violated seven different conservation laws that I could think of off the top of my head. By far the worst two are the energy and momentum conservation, but things you've done to entropy and lepton numbers are unacceptable as well.

I think there is a twin paradox in there somehow as well, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Something along the lines of Alice going back into past to kill Hitler, and Bob, the white supremacist that he is, flies in from Alpha Centauri B to go into the past and hand an arsenal of nuclear bombs to Nazi Germany. Because of Bob's rapid travel, the sequence of events (Alice arrives first - stops WWII, Bob arrives first - wins WWII for Germany) are different in different frames, and so the history ends up being completely different in different frames. This is either a paradox or a split timeline, just like in Quantum theory. Either way, there is a problem, but I'd have to think about it a bit more to be absolutely sure.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Congrads. You just violated seven different conservation laws that I could think of off the top of my head. By far the worst two are the energy and momentum conservation, but things you've done to entropy and lepton numbers are unacceptable as well.

I think there is a twin paradox in there somehow as well, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Something along the lines of Alice going back into past to kill Hitler, and Bob, the white supremacist that he is, flies in from Alpha Centauri B to go into the past and hand an arsenal of nuclear bombs to Nazi Germany. Because of Bob's rapid travel, the sequence of events (Alice arrives first - stops WWII, Bob arrives first - wins WWII for Germany) are different in different frames, and so the history ends up being completely different in different frames. This is either a paradox or a split timeline, just like in Quantum theory. Either way, there is a problem, but I'd have to think about it a bit more to be absolutely sure.
              Speculation.
              Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
                Speculation.
                If conservation of energy is a speculation to you, then I'm not sure we can have a conversation.

Looks familiar?

Comment

If conservation of energy is a speculation to you, then I'm not sure we can have a conversation.
                  until u prove your theories by travelling through time u cannot refute other theories...
                  Meh.

Comment

Until you travel to distant stars, you can't prove they are giant balls of hydrogen and heavier elements undergoing fusion. They could be just lights painted on a giant sphere built around our world. And it matters not that it would contradict everything we learned about light reaching us from these bodies. Until you can go there, you can't prove anything.

What exactly is your standard for proof, anyways?

Looks familiar?

Comment

Until you travel to distant stars, you can't prove they are giant balls of hydrogen and heavier elements undergoing fusion. They could be just lights painted on a giant sphere built around our world. And it matters not that it would contradict everything we learned about light reaching us from these bodies. Until you can go there, you can't prove anything.

What exactly is your standard for proof, anyways?
                      Except we have one in our backyard...

I havn't been spouting my hypothesis as proven without adequate proof.
                      Meh.

Comment

And you know that Sol is the same kind of star as the ones you see in the sky because?

And I haven't brought up a single hypothesis. I've only talked about predictions based on well established theories. There is a very big difference between an untested hypothesis and an untested prediction of a well tested theory. Hypothesis is assumed to be false until proved otherwise by experiment. Prediction of a theory is assumed to be true until debunked by experiment. There have not been a single experiment that would suggest that our predictions on time travel are faulty.

Looks familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Heart View Post
                          Well this thread has gone way of course hasn't it.
                          All it was meant to be was fun, and your all arguing over theories of relativity. Don't get me wrong, you all have your own points of view, but none of you are scientists, so your not going to figure out time travel and 'falsify' any theories. Make another thread for this if oyu want to argu it so much, this is not where it belongs.

Ontopic: If i could go back in time i'd zip back and get stuck in that time loop thing. That would be awesome.
                          Yep. This thread has gone upside down

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

interesting speculation everyone but as for the origonal topic:

i'd go be a gladiator for rome

the non slave gladiators were hailed as celeberaties bigger than modern sports heroes
                            And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA View Post

Here’s how its works..........

You can dial the Stargate once anyway in the Universe & and go to any time in the past

You can't travel back to the present and you can never leave your destination.

What kind of Deeds would you do?

Here’s a example...

Go to the Goa’uld homeworld (where symbiotes lived) before system lords and throw the Stargate in the Water so the Unas/Goa’uld can never leave they planet.
                              would you really? what if you made things worse, what if a goauld took you over and tavelled to the future, took some technology , went back and made the goauld even more powerful before they even left.

Comment

I realize that's not the point of the question, but just FYI, it is impossible to alter history by traveling to the past. I hope I don't need to go into details. Time travel is a bit complicated.

On the slightly more related note, I wonder why Ancients didn't build in time-traveling capabilities. Seems like it'd be relatively easy to do. A wormhole can connect two points at different times just as well as it can connect two points in different places.
                                or they could just take one active stargate and speed it up to relativistic velocities and the through the time dialation you'd create a time machine; anyone who steps through the stargate that has been sped up would travel to the past

Comment

Working...
                                X