Replicators in the star trek universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
    We don't know the numbers engaged in the Replicator/Asgard war, although the typical numbers of SG ships would suggest they weren't throwing hundreds of ships at each other.

You mentioned some of the Asgard's technical gizmo's well bare in mind the Borg have actually time travel a damn slight better and more useful than time dilation. If they had a brain they could use it to intercept the Replicators at the time of their arrival in the galaxy and destroy them.
    Yet this ability has not been used to defeat other races they needed too. They did not even use it to stop themselves to attack species 8472. But indeed they do have the tech.

Well I hold the view that nanoprobes would if modified be able to damage and infact destroy Replicator blocks (which are made of whatever they eat so not necessarily neutronium).

Nanoprobes assimilated 29th century technology which is a far more advanced than the Replicators and made of funky alloys with crazy made up names. If they can assimilate technology like that I wouldnt put it past the Borg to be capable of assimilating the Replicators. I'd never propose that the Borg use typical methods to inject the Replicators they'd stand no chance at all however there are plenty of methods available, Torpedoes or in a gas for example. Either of those 2 methods would be effective against the Replicators should the probes prove effective.
    And this proves that nanoprobes CAN and DO assimilate technology. It has also been seen onboard the SS Raven.

And even if the Borg CANNOT assimilate the Reps, the Reps might be capable of assimilating the Borg.

The Asgard's and Goa'uld inability to stop the Replicator's does not mean the Borg or any of the other ST races couldn't do something. The sheer volume of race of the weeks in ST some of who had pretty damn advanced technology IMO means the ST universe would stand a good chance.

The main problem I see with the Replicators is that even if initially a ST race can stop them the likely hood is that a bug is going to be beamed a board for study thus negating any technical edge. Basically the bugs need to encounter weaker races first and give the guys who can come down on them with thousands of ships time to realize that they need to automatically self destruct when boarded.
    Getting a Bug onboard will kill that race, especially the less advanced ones.

Well if the Borg knew what they were up against thanks to say assimilating a lesser species who encountered the Replicators they may know not to beam the Reps onboard. However they'd probably do it anyway...
    Because the Borg will try to assimilate them, because the Reps would be a valuable asset to the collective.

The Borg can remotely self destruct any ship infested in seconds I don't think the Replicators have ever hacked a starship in seconds have they? I think the Borg have the resources to do some damage but its whether or not their MO gets in the way of that.
    They can do that but the replicators will gain knowledge every time they manage to get onboard.

Regardless races like the Voth seem equally advanced when compared to the Borg perhaps more so and there's far more in the ST galaxy than the Borg to get in the way of the Replicators.
    The Voth are far MORE advanced then the Borg, just seeing their technological ability to beam an entire state of the art Borg Killer starship, named Voyager in a hold and then making it completely useless.

www.darkarmada.nl
    www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

if we are gonna talk about the borg assimilating the replicators the battle for control over the replicators will be fought over a mental plane, not a physical plane, and i do think the replicators will have an advantage there if they are great enough in numbers. (Any assimilated repli-block will both be part of the borg and replicator collectives)

Comment

then RepliCarter will know, it is better to combine resources then to kill each other. After-all, both species seem to be EXTREMELY close to one and other.

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Comment

Actually we don't know if they can penetrate the most advanced Asgard, Ancient and Ori shields. The O'neill was able to successfully hold off the replicators therefore it stands to reason its shields could not be penetrated by replicator missiles.

For the sake of debate it can not be assumed that the Replicators will be able to penetrate ST shields.
          It is a good assumption, though an inaccurate one. Why? Because we have seen Kull Warriors do about the same with their armour. SO it IS cannon that it CAN work that way, but it doesn't HAVE to work that way

www.darkarmada.nl
          www.runescape.com

Comment

We don't know the numbers engaged in the Replicator/Asgard war, although the typical numbers of SG ships would suggest they weren't throwing hundreds of ships at each other.
            The Asgards sent something like five ships against the incoming Replicators. The Replicators arrived at Halla with three Biliskners. Thor had his own, and the O'neil was there, unfinished by largely capable of flying and going into hyperspace.
            It makes sense, in light of this, that not giving the Replicators too much to absorb probably was the smartest thing to do to pace down the war, since the more you give the bugs, the more they make out of it in an exponential way.
            Sending a hundred ships would have been the end of the Asgards.
            The Asgards have a formidable industry, if only for their beaming technology, synthetizers, time dilation that can be used to boost production obviously, and how fast they populated Orilla, but I figure that the Asgards tried their best at some point to turn that war into some brushfire style confrontation.

You mentioned some of the Asgard's technical gizmo's well bare in mind the Borg have actually time travel a damn slight better and more useful than time dilation. If they had a brain they could use it to intercept the Replicators at the time of their arrival in the galaxy and destroy them.
            They obviously use that way too late. It took several failed attempts at dealing with the UFP, and their Cube about to blow up, to decide to try time travel.

That's logically more than enough time and chances for the Replicators to do what they do well.

Well I hold the view that nanoprobes would if modified be able to damage and infact destroy Replicator blocks (which are made of whatever they eat so not necessarily neutronium).
            Modified probes? I guess they can modify them, but to what use?
            The mere fact that they'd need to modify anything is a special case, a new condition for victory, admiting that the vanilla system wouldn't work, while Replicators don't seem to have that issue.

The Asgard's and Goa'uld inability to stop the Replicator's does not mean the Borg or any of the other ST races couldn't do something. The sheer volume of race of the weeks in ST some of who had pretty damn advanced technology IMO means the ST universe would stand a good chance.
            The Goa'uld had a good number of impressive technologies matching those of the UFP or literally baffling them in certain domains like health & medicine, and they controlled nanotechnology very well, both for industry and for bioweapons.
            The Asgards are even above that, and don't limit themselves in order to maintain a fakery of galactic feudal system in place.

The main problem I see with the Replicators is that even if initially a ST race can stop them the likely hood is that a bug is going to be beamed a board for study thus negating any technical edge. Basically the bugs need to encounter weaker races first and give the guys who can come down on them with thousands of ships time to realize that they need to automatically self destruct when boarded.

Well if the Borg knew what they were up against thanks to say assimilating a lesser species who encountered the Replicators they may know not to beam the Reps onboard. However they'd probably do it anyway...

The Borg can remotely self destruct any ship infested in seconds I don't think the Replicators have ever hacked a starship in seconds have they? I think the Borg have the resources to do some damage but its whether or not their MO gets in the way of that.
            Pretty much. Although at some point, the self-destruct won't work. The Replicators needed time to understand Apophis' new supership (stolen from Sokar's bazar I theorize), but we've seen then hack into Asgard systems in no time flat, largely because they knew them.
            The point is that once they know the tech, you don't even have time for self-destruct. The Replicators block systems, block beaming tech, ignore shields, render themselves invisible to internal sensors, immune to energy weapons, etc.

That is going to be funny actually, because very few advanced species in Trek use good old kinetic weapons. They all use variants of bolt/beams, with varying effects from concussive to heating to disintegration, which Replicators have all met and dealt with.
            This will just make Replicator infestation easier, and probably short circuits the idea that the Borg could assimilate a species that survived the Replicators (knowing to self destruct immediately), since any species they'd meet would be screwed.
            The Tau'ri never truly won. They survived in some battles, actually often got swarmed, and if they got what it took to engage the basic legobug, they already found problem with the larger bugs and found themselves powerless against the humanoids. All in all, the Tau'ri could certainly not challenge the Replicators' entire system.

I'd also point out that the Borg certainly didn't self-destruct their ships left and right against S8472.

Besides, Replicators transmit data. If you destroy the bugs in a Cube or another infested ship, the data is already sent no matter what.

Nanoprobes assimilated 29th century technology which is a far more advanced than the Replicators and made of funky alloys with crazy made up names. If they can assimilate technology like that I wouldnt put it past the Borg to be capable of assimilating the Replicators. I'd never propose that the Borg use typical methods to inject the Replicators they'd stand no chance at all however there are plenty of methods available, Torpedoes or in a gas for example. Either of those 2 methods would be effective against the Replicators should the probes prove effective.
            Well I don't know much about 29th century tech safe that it has mastered time travel and spacetime funky things.
            But the Replicators have leaked the Asgard time dilation tech very quickly, and the Replicators come from a "species" which itself had explored time travel and actually refused to go any further.
            So it all boiled down to one dude going all garage and fiddling in his corner, under the nose of Atlantis' council, to finally assemble a perfect time travel machine of the size of a kid's coffin, controlled mentally.

There is no doubt that had the Lantians used the full might of their science to work altogether and break the barriers of spacetime, they'd have surely found much more impressive technologies.
            Also, did 29th century UFP or whatever group in place mastered dimensional travel and the capacity to destroy the entire universe?

Yes, I know, that's completely wiiz, but... hey...

Regardless races like the Voth seem equally advanced when compared to the Borg perhaps more so and there's far more in the ST galaxy than the Borg to get in the way of the Replicators.
            Don't get me wrong but the Voth could beam the Voyager into their giant cavernous ship, right?
            How is that better than good ol' Prometheus using an off-hand Asgard beaming tech to put an entire skyscrapper into orbit?

Originally posted by locutes View Post
            And this proves that nanoprobes CAN and DO assimilate technology. It has also been seen onboard the SS Raven.
            We know of nanoprobes that actually connect to computers and systems, hack them and decipher the tech?
            How long did it take and how far was it pushed?

Originally posted by locutes View Post
            It is a good assumption, though an inaccurate one. Why? Because we have seen Kull Warriors do about the same with their armour. SO it IS cannon that it CAN work that way, but it doesn't HAVE to work that way
            The Kull Warrior suit walked through Tok'ra and Goa'uld shields. They're fairly known to Anubis.
            The first time the Replicators met the Goa'uld, they were seen crawling all over Apophis' personnal shield.
            Later on, they infested Goa'uld ships easily. Their bug-missiles ignored the shields of an Asgard war/science vessel, Thor's current new ship of that time.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
              The Asgards sent something like five ships against the incoming Replicators. The Replicators arrived at Halla with three Biliskners. Thor had his own, and the O'neil was there, unfinished by largely capable of flying and going into hyperspace.
              It makes sense, in light of this, that not giving the Replicators too much to absorb probably was the smartest thing to do to pace down the war, since the more you give the bugs, the more they make out of it in an exponential way.
              Sending a hundred ships would have been the end of the Asgards.
              The Asgards have a formidable industry, if only for their beaming technology, synthetizers, time dilation that can be used to boost production obviously, and how fast they populated Orilla, but I figure that the Asgards tried their best at some point to turn that war into some brushfire style confrontation.
              We'll never know, however the Replicators don't capture every single ship they encounter. A good example is the Reckoning battle, I don't recall the Replicators attempting to take control of the opposing fleets? The Borg have been known to throw fleets of hundreds of cubes around they could probably annihilate an early stage Replicator infestation.

They obviously use that way too late. It took several failed attempts at dealing with the UFP, and their Cube about to blow up, to decide to try time travel.

That's logically more than enough time and chances for the Replicators to do what they do well.
              Would it truly matter when the Borg used time travel? They use it when they're on the brink of defeat and in the long run it wouldn't truly matter if they were successful. The Borg queen in First Contact even chastised Picard for thinking in 3-dimensional terms the option is there for them to use.

Modified probes? I guess they can modify them, but to what use?
              The mere fact that they'd need to modify anything is a special case, a new condition for victory, admiting that the vanilla system wouldn't work, while Replicators don't seem to have that issue.
              Well they may not need to modify them, we've seen that the Borg can assimilate technology by using an injection of nanoprobes I don't think it would be any different for Replicator blocks.

The Goa'uld had a good number of impressive technologies matching those of the UFP or literally baffling them in certain domains like health & medicine, and they controlled nanotechnology very well, both for industry and for bioweapons.
              The Asgards are even above that, and don't limit themselves in order to maintain a fakery of galactic feudal system in place.
              The Goa'uld are lacking in other ways though, they're disorganised and their application of technology is poor. By comparison the Borg can call on thousands of vessels and are adaptable enough to apply technology on a large scale.
              The Asgard actually managed to gain the upper hand against the Replicators at one point and lured them into the time dilation field. Its not an instant death scenario if the Replicators invade the Asgard's 'limited' success proves that.

Pretty much. Although at some point, the self-destruct won't work. The Replicators needed time to understand Apophis' new supership (stolen from Sokar's bazar I theorize), but we've seen then hack into Asgard systems in no time flat, largely because they knew them.
              The point is that once they know the tech, you don't even have time for self-destruct. The Replicators block systems, block beaming tech, ignore shields, render themselves invisible to internal sensors, immune to energy weapons, etc.
              Borg vessels can be controlled by the Queen though and I don't see how the Replicators would block out her control fast enough. Borg vessels are also supposed to be highly reduntant the Replicators may not be able to hack the entire ship at once with the few bugs that get onboard initially.

The Bugs ignore SG shields and we've never seen them penetrate the high end SG shields at that either there's no gurantee they'll be getting past ST shields. ST sensors are pretty good too and very technobably they could probably detect the Reps somehow just by throwing some random words on the end of a sentence.

That is going to be funny actually, because very few advanced species in Trek use good old kinetic weapons. They all use variants of bolt/beams, with varying effects from concussive to heating to disintegration, which Replicators have all met and dealt with.
              This will just make Replicator infestation easier, and probably short circuits the idea that the Borg could assimilate a species that survived the Replicators (knowing to self destruct immediately), since any species they'd meet would be screwed.
              The Tau'ri never truly won. They survived in some battles, actually often got swarmed, and if they got what it took to engage the basic legobug, they already found problem with the larger bugs and found themselves powerless against the humanoids. All in all, the Tau'ri could certainly not challenge the Replicators' entire system.
              Well in personal combat I can't think of any race that really uses kinetic weapons but Trek phasers and the like are a lot more sophisticated than the Staff weapons on the Jaffa they may not be completely useless.

I'd also point out that the Borg certainly didn't self-destruct their ships left and right against S8472.

Besides, Replicators transmit data. If you destroy the bugs in a Cube or another infested ship, the data is already sent no matter what.
              Well when S8472 got onboard the ships were most likely already disabled I also don't think the Borg had to worry about S8472 taking over their ships and using them agaisnt them.

Indeed but if nanoprobes are effective I don't see what the Reps could do about it. They've never shown the ability to alter their blocks beyond making them immune to the radiation from the Dakara wave.

Well I don't know much about 29th century tech safe that it has mastered time travel and spacetime funky things.
              But the Replicators have leaked the Asgard time dilation tech very quickly, and the Replicators come from a "species" which itself had explored time travel and actually refused to go any further.
              So it all boiled down to one dude going all garage and fiddling in his corner, under the nose of Atlantis' council, to finally assemble a perfect time travel machine of the size of a kid's coffin, controlled mentally.

There is no doubt that had the Lantians used the full might of their science to work altogether and break the barriers of spacetime, they'd have surely found much more impressive technologies.
              Also, did 29th century UFP or whatever group in place mastered dimensional travel and the capacity to destroy the entire universe?

Yes, I know, that's completely wiiz, but... hey...
              Well 24th century Federation could travel to the mirror-verse pretty much at will using their transporters so I would assume 29th century Federation tech in this area would be far more advanced.

The 29th Century Federation were able to monitor time, transport through it and build small time ships. IMO 29th century Federation tech is far beyond anything displayed by the Replicators.

This example merely shows that the Borg can assimilate technology with their nanoprobes, and are even capable of adapting it to their needs creating completely new and super advanced technology with it.

Don't get me wrong but the Voth could beam the Voyager into their giant cavernous ship, right?
              How is that better than good ol' Prometheus using an off-hand Asgard beaming tech to put an entire skyscrapper into orbit?
              Well for one thing Voyager was shielded at the time. The Voth also possessed phase cloaks, could detect individual life signs on Voyager from 90LY away, was able to hack and completely disable all the technology on Voyager in seconds and had transwarp.

We know of nanoprobes that actually connect to computers and systems, hack them and decipher the tech?
              How long did it take and how far was it pushed?
              Well in Enterprise it took seconds to completely change the inside of a compartment, whole new sections of machinary appeared out of nowhere displaying quite astounding replicating ability.
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

We'll never know, however the Replicators don't capture every single ship they encounter. A good example is the Reckoning battle, I don't recall the Replicators attempting to take control of the opposing fleets? The Borg have been known to throw fleets of hundreds of cubes around they could probably annihilate an early stage Replicator infestation.
                In Recknoning, the Replicators' biggest ships were the Ha'taks. They used HA'tak weapons. It's the same that happened when Apophis ended in another galaxy. His ship was first attacked by an alien ship, and then Replicators got onboard.
                Reckoning is also a different question because the Replicators' unique goal was Dakara's temple, and Replicarter too tempted by the power of this machine, decided to capture instead of destroying it from orbit.

Would it truly matter when the Borg used time travel? They use it when they're on the brink of defeat and in the long run it wouldn't truly matter if they were successful. The Borg queen in First Contact even chastised Picard for thinking in 3-dimensional terms the option is there for them to use.
                They probably can think in as many dimensions they want, if the they're on the brink of defeat against the Replicators, it would mean that what the Borg know and can do, so can the Replicators.
                At that point the Borg are screwed, no matter their next maneuver.

Well they may not need to modify them, we've seen that the Borg can assimilate technology by using an injection of nanoprobes I don't think it would be any different for Replicator blocks.
                It would require the nanoprobes to be able to actually, at first, be wedged into the matter that composes a piece of a bug, and then to find something to hang to while trying to understand the kiron pathway technology bugs use, and that while having to work against the very forcefields the bugs naturally use to assemble themselves.

The Goa'uld are lacking in other ways though, they're disorganised and their application of technology is poor. By comparison the Borg can call on thousands of vessels and are adaptable enough to apply technology on a large scale.
                The point is no matter the highest technology the Goa'uld had, they didn't come with anything worth using against the Replicators.
                Many many civilizations in Trek will hit the same technological ceiling.

The Asgard actually managed to gain the upper hand against the Replicators at one point and lured them into the time dilation field. Its not an instant death scenario if the Replicators invade the Asgard's 'limited' success proves that.
                They only managed to do so because they had access to the command that allowed them to send one order to the bugs. That command was obtained from working on Reese' body, the only creature capable of creating bugs out of any metal.
                This command recalled all bugs from everywhere. It was pretty clear that without this, the Asgards were screwed big times:

THOR
                When it became clear to the Asgard High Council that the war with the Replicators could not be won, a plan was devised, a trap was set. One made possible by you.

CARTER
                By us?

THOR
                The android Reese that you discovered and provided to us for study retained a single core command in her base programming which we believed all Replicators would still follow.

CARTER
                Then, you were able to reactivate her?

THOR
                No. The android was damaged beyond repair. However, the key command was activated within her neural network, amplified, and broadcast through subspace throughout the known universe.

CARTER
                What was the command?

THOR
                To come forth.

JONAS
                You instructed every Replicator out there to come to you?

O'NEILL
                I have a theory why you lost the war.
                Also, one thing I didn't notice, but being able to send a message strong enough across the entire known universe, that would require a tremendeous amount of power, even if using subspace. You'd need something akin to the power source feeding the Alteran communication device for example.

Borg vessels can be controlled by the Queen though and I don't see how the Replicators would block out her control fast enough.
                Yet she didn't achieve much against species 8472.

Borg vessels are also supposed to be highly reduntant the Replicators may not be able to hack the entire ship at once with the few bugs that get onboard initially.
                The redundancy actually means finding the data and technology will be easier, as it is, by definition, all over the place.

The Bugs ignore SG shields and we've never seen them penetrate the high end SG shields at that either there's no gurantee they'll be getting past ST shields.
                They penetrated Asgard shields, which still stands rather high on the rank of SG shields.
                That and their ancestors/cousins threw themselves against a Lantian/Alteran disintegration field to understand it in a matter of minutes.

ST sensors are pretty good too and very technobably they could probably detect the Reps somehow just by throwing some random words on the end of a sentence.
                Oh yes they're good, but so are Asgards'.
                Asgards have a beaming technology that is fairly advanced. You seriously need super sensors to achieve that.
                Yet the bugs know how to render themselves invisible to internal sensors once used to the tech.

Well in personal combat I can't think of any race that really uses kinetic weapons but Trek phasers and the like are a lot more sophisticated than the Staff weapons on the Jaffa they may not be completely useless.
                They're also resistant to zat spam, and zats are weird weapons.

Well when S8472 got onboard the ships were most likely already disabled I also don't think the Borg had to worry about S8472 taking over their ships and using them agaisnt them.
                Humans boarded the Cube as well. Not only it seemed fine from the outside, but let's remember that thing about the redundancies here.

Indeed but if nanoprobes are effective I don't see what the Reps could do about it. They've never shown the ability to alter their blocks beyond making them immune to the radiation from the Dakara wave.
                The question pretty much comes down to who hacks the other first. Bugs don't even shoot nanoprobes whatsoever to hack into a computer.
                So basically, while a Borg nanoprobe's hacking system is contained inside the probe's computer and has to use the probe's physical interface to start scanning and then interacting with a given system, Replicators seem to just need a close contact with the system to hack it.
                Basically, they could literally attack the drone and read its data and system before the drone could even begin to inject nanoprobes.
                That and the fact that a drone would first need to hold a bug in place to inject the probes. Not only drones hardly look like the agile athletes required to seize the very jumpy and sneaky bugs, but the bugs happen to spit super-fast metal-dissolving acid, and that involves the alloys used on Asgard ships, both for inner and outer structures.

Well 24th century Federation could travel to the mirror-verse pretty much at will using their transporters so I would assume 29th century Federation tech in this area would be far more advanced.

The 29th Century Federation were able to monitor time, transport through it and build small time ships. IMO 29th century Federation tech is far beyond anything displayed by the Replicators.
                That only applies to what has been observed, that is, time travel, and besides that detail, that tells little. The Borg had already understood 24th century tech and considered it primitive. That would mean they'd likely have a mastery of what UFP tech could be in a later century.
                Also, what did the Borg assimilate? Did they lose that tech, because it didn't seem give them any edge.

[quote]
                This example merely shows that the Borg can assimilate technology with their nanoprobes, and are even capable of adapting it to their needs creating completely new and super advanced technology with it.

Well for one thing Voyager was shielded at the time. The Voth also possessed phase cloaks, could detect individual life signs on Voyager from 90LY away, was able to hack and completely disable all the technology on Voyager in seconds and had transwarp.
                That's good. Did the Borg assimilate the Voth though?

Well in Enterprise it took seconds to completely change the inside of a compartment, whole new sections of machinary appeared out of nowhere displaying quite astounding replicating ability.
                That is impressive. I suppose it mirrors the regenerative ability of the first Cube met by the E-D's crew, right?
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                  In Recknoning, the Replicators' biggest ships were the Ha'taks. They used HA'tak weapons. It's the same that happened when Apophis ended in another galaxy. His ship was first attacked by an alien ship, and then Replicators got onboard.
                  Reckoning is also a different question because the Replicators' unique goal was Dakara's temple, and Replicarter too tempted by the power of this machine, decided to capture instead of destroying it from orbit.
                  Indeed. However I still think that a sufficient force in the early goings could take out the Replicators and prevent them spreading.

They probably can think in as many dimensions they want, if the they're on the brink of defeat against the Replicators, it would mean that what the Borg know and can do, so can the Replicators.
                  At that point the Borg are screwed, no matter their next maneuver.
                  If the Borg time travel first there would be little the Replicators could do about it unless they realized it was happening.

It would require the nanoprobes to be able to actually, at first, be wedged into the matter that composes a piece of a bug, and then to find something to hang to while trying to understand the kiron pathway technology bugs use, and that while having to work against the very forcefields the bugs naturally use to assemble themselves.
                  Borg assimilation tubials penetrate shields, do Borg nanoprobes do the same? Also the Borg can deploy the probes in more ways than just the tubes. For example using one of those mines to spread them over 5LY.

The point is no matter the highest technology the Goa'uld had, they didn't come with anything worth using against the Replicators.
                  Many many civilizations in Trek will hit the same technological ceiling.
                  Oh yes there is no doubt the fast majority of ST races will be pure fodder for the Replicators the speed advantage the Reps have alone will see to that.

They only managed to do so because they had access to the command that allowed them to send one order to the bugs. That command was obtained from working on Reese' body, the only creature capable of creating bugs out of any metal.
                  This command recalled all bugs from everywhere. It was pretty clear that without this, the Asgards were screwed big times:
                  I was basing my statement on this quote;

CARTER
                  Their examination of the android must have yielded some positive results. Because it looks like the Asgard have finally gained the upper hand against the Replicators.
                  Which incidently is completely useless now I've seen it again lol. Although the wording to me imply's more than just luring the Reps to a planet.

Also, one thing I didn't notice, but being able to send a message strong enough across the entire known universe, that would require a tremendeous amount of power, even if using subspace. You'd need something akin to the power source feeding the Alteran communication device for example.
                  A subspact tap powers the Alteran communication device IIRC. But yes that is certainly a feat the Asgard accomplished.

Yet she didn't achieve much against species 8472.
                  Did she have too? I don't think self destructing would be a necessity if an 8472 got onboard perhaps she hoped a drone would manage to assimilate one. We saw her willingness to destroy ships in 'Unimatrix' Cubes with a single rogue drone were destroyed.

The redundancy actually means finding the data and technology will be easier, as it is, by definition, all over the place.
                  Finding yes but not necessarily controlling although you are right the Reps would definately get a handle on Borg tech and by extension a lot of other races tech quickly.

They penetrated Asgard shields, which still stands rather high on the rank of SG shields.
                  That and their ancestors/cousins threw themselves against a Lantian/Alteran disintegration field to understand it in a matter of minutes.
                  But did they penetrate the best Asgard shields? The Asurans were a joke in the end though, if they invaded the ST universe would have little to worry about.

Oh yes they're good, but so are Asgards'.
                  Asgards have a beaming technology that is fairly advanced. You seriously need super sensors to achieve that.
                  Yet the bugs know how to render themselves invisible to internal sensors once used to the tech.
                  Yes but Trek sensors seem some versatile able to be calibrated to search for anything the plot desires.

They're also resistant to zat spam, and zats are weird weapons.
                  They are but I wouldn't like to make a broad generalising statement saying Reps are resistant to all energy weapons.

Humans boarded the Cube as well. Not only it seemed fine from the outside, but let's remember that thing about the redundancies here.
                  Yes but the Borg don't consider the humans a threat, I think they'd have a higher opinion of the bugs.

The question pretty much comes down to who hacks the other first. Bugs don't even shoot nanoprobes whatsoever to hack into a computer.
                  So basically, while a Borg nanoprobe's hacking system is contained inside the probe's computer and has to use the probe's physical interface to start scanning and then interacting with a given system, Replicators seem to just need a close contact with the system to hack it.
                  Basically, they could literally attack the drone and read its data and system before the drone could even begin to inject nanoprobes.
                  That and the fact that a drone would first need to hold a bug in place to inject the probes. Not only drones hardly look like the agile athletes required to seize the very jumpy and sneaky bugs, but the bugs happen to spit super-fast metal-dissolving acid, and that involves the alloys used on Asgard ships, both for inner and outer structures.
                  Thats exactly why I suggested the Borg use another method to deploy the nanoprobes the standard method wouldn't work. However they can use all manner of explosive weapons to disperse them etc...

The chances are if nanoprobes are effective the Borg would eventually assimilate some Replicators it wouldn't be far fetched for the Borg to use Replicator technology themselves as a weapon.

That only applies to what has been observed, that is, time travel, and besides that detail, that tells little. The Borg had already understood 24th century tech and considered it primitive. That would mean they'd likely have a mastery of what UFP tech could be in a later century.
                  Also, what did the Borg assimilate? Did they lose that tech, because it didn't seem give them any edge.
                  Well the mobile emittor was assimilated by stray nanoprobes from 7 of 9 and basically became One a artificially created drone with uber tech. He died after destroying a Borg sphere by piloting it into a nebula which crushed it (he did infact briefly survive the explosion).

If the 29th century are as advanced as that in time travel its logical to assume they'd be very advanced in other areas as well.

That's good. Did the Borg assimilate the Voth though?
                  Don't think so, we never saw the Voth again.

That is impressive. I suppose it mirrors the regenerative ability of the first Cube met by the E-D's crew, right?
                  I guess it does, I never drew that parallel before.

What are your opinions on S8472 vs the Replicators?
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                  X