No announcement yet.

where will we be in 1000000 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 million years is indeed a vast timescale, especially in comparison to our own civilization's time span of only a few thousand years. Ask someone from say, a thousand years ago, what civilization would be like today and do you think you'd get an answer that's even remotely accurate? Assuming our civilization continues to grow and mature (and that's a big "if") can we, in the same context, even remotely imagine what our race will be like a whopping million years from now?

I tend to be optimistic however and envision great things for humanity.

In our "real" world perhaps we . . . are the Ancients.
    Last edited by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper; 13 January 2009, 07:27 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
      how come the tails?
      Why not?
      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I really don't think we'll make it mas 2500. Come on, so many nukes on the world.. Somebody might slip..

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
          1 million years is indeed a vast timescale, especially in comparison to our own civilization's time span of only a few thousand years. Ask someone from say, a thousand years ago, what civilization would be like today and do you think you'd get an answer that's even remotely accurate? Assuming our civilization continues to grow and mature (and that's a big "if") can we, in the same context, even remotely imagine what our race will be like a whopping million years from now.

Early Ancients, but does that mean those around me could become the Ori a million years from now?

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
            Early Ancients, but does that mean those around me could become the Ori a million years from now?
            Well, if they do, I guess it means some of our race will be fleeing to a distant galaxy millions of years from now.

See, we're forecasting the future already!

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
              Why not?
              since all we do is sit around all day, and it's not changing for the better, growing a tail would be a very odd thing, since it's used to keep balance when climbing trees and stuff...
              sigpic

Spoiler:
              Originally posted by IMDB
              Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
              Hehe

Comment

1 million years is indeed a vast timescale, especially in comparison to our own civilization's time span of only a few thousand years. Ask someone from say, a thousand years ago, what civilization would be like today and do you think you'd get an answer that's even remotely accurate? Assuming our civilization continues to grow and mature (and that's a big "if") can we, in the same context, even remotely imagine what our race will be like a whopping million years from now.

We could be the Ancients. Better start making plans to fight the Wraith

Comment

Well, if they do, I guess it means some of our race will be fleeing to a distant galaxy millions of years from now.

See, we're forecasting the future already!
                  There's no way in hell I'll be following Origin.
                  I guess to a degree we've already got the divisions between religious individuals and those that believe in science, but it's not as clear cut as it is in Stargate, you know there are more grey areas in real life.

As far as trying to make predictions about what's to come I do that all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mclean View Post
                    We could be the Ancients. Better start making plans to fight the Wraith
                    Just nowing it may come could win the battle for us.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                      since all we do is sit around all day, and it's not changing for the better, growing a tail would be a very odd thing, since it's used to keep balance when climbing trees and stuff...
                      Genetic engineering could add tails to normal human physiology without much trouble. Just imagine how many new possibilities will open in the field of fashion, art, sex...
                      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Genetic engineering could add tails to normal human physiology without much trouble. Just imagine how many new possibilities will open in the field of fashion, art, sex...
                        Oh. Well in that case why stop at adding tails. Let's add wings as well. And let's see, what else . . . uh no, I won't go there.

Comment

Jokes aside, I think that's where the long-term development of the human race will be going- genetic modification of ourselves for a wide range of environments (aqua-people for colonizing the oceans, low- and high-gravity adapted people, maybe even a special breed of people who can float in space and absorb solar energy through big solar "panels" growing out of the modified skin on their backs; they could also use them as solar sails). Genetic specialization, and eventually splitting up into separate, radically different species.
                          Last edited by Womble; 11 January 2009, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Genetic specialization, and eventually splitting up into separate, radically different species.
                            yeah and then the war thing starts again

Comment

The only thing I have to say is that I stand by my sig.
                              Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

its ancients

Comment

Working...
                                X