No announcement yet.

cityships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought of that, too... i checked, and one microsoft word page of text (A:s) is 33 kilobytes big... times 1000 to get to MB, times 1000 go get to GB, times 1000 to get to TB (roughly). 33 TB of text is 1 billion pages, roughly.
    sigpic

Spoiler:
    Originally posted by IMDB
    Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
    Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
      the jumpers are probably used quite frequently. and if there were a cityship on a planet, chances are the gate is in it. it doensn't seem very likley that the SGA team would miss something as important as a cityship...
      Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
      I believe that was the Siege part one, but I think that was pretty much every ounce of storage space they had (encrypted), which could have been hundreds of terabytes (or bits which ever is the biggest), so the whole database could have been twelve and a half times what the expedition could have taken with them.
      That wasn't what they had studied, or even managed to translate and I doubt they've checked the equivalent of that 7 or 8% after five years of working on it.
      The Ancients were in the Pegasus galaxy for 5 to 10 million years and Atlantis was with them for all of that time (at least there's no mention of any time they didn't inhabit it while in that galaxy) and there's no telling how long Atlantis was on Earth before leaving to go to PG.
      Atlantis probably had teams of Ancient people adding their research notes into the database over the years so I think that's a lot of data to look at.

I think a gig of storage can hold thousands of pages of data, so just imagine trying to read, let alone understand that much data and then multiply it by a thousand and you're probably still not anywhere near to understanding just how much info is in Atlantis's database.

A city ship, outpost, shipyard, lab etc could have been cloaked for all this time. Atlantis was under the ocean with its shields raised for thousands of years, holding back the pressure of the ocean.

A city or other previously mentioned structures could just be cloaked. As soon as the wraith war started Lantean bases could have been hidden to prevent destruction. (Another reason to visit PG)

Outposts do not always hold the gate. (see “The Tower” and “The Lost Tribe”). A number of gates in the PG have been in orbits of planets. Placing a gate around a world and having your base on another planet in that system could have also been practiced by the Lanteans.

As for the size of the database it was used for millions of years and holds so much information it is the preverbal haystack! In the “The Lost Tribe” a diary entry regarding the events of a young scientist was used to find the lab, the database was used to store their complete records.

sigpic

Comment

and with hundreds of terabytes of documents in the database, you have billions of standard microsoft Word pages to go through. they won't be done with that database for hundreds of years.
        sigpic

Spoiler:
        Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
        Hehe

Comment

tjoflojt are you on commision for microsoft! lol

sigpic

Comment

no, but notepad (or whatever it's called) doesn't show pages. just lines and lines of text... it's scary..
            sigpic

Spoiler:
            Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Ha'TakFord View Post
              The Ancients probaly are still there with some of there ships in a far far distant galaxy. Why didnt the ori build a city ship?? since they are so advanced there bassically bad ancients
              It would be good to perhaps see some Ancients that aren't really bothered about ascension and some at the time when Destiny set off on it's mission may have decided to use the Stargates and travel elsewhere in the Universe.
              As far as the Ori building city ships, they didn't appear to have a need for them, the Ancients built Atlantis to escape the plague and travel to another galaxy and take their home with them to start a new.
              Until the Ori ascended I don't think they would have the knowledge to build something on a par with Atlantis, they probably stole all the weapons or ships they had from the Ancients back in the days when they lived in the Ori home galaxy (or whatever it's actually called).

Comment

I thought that the ancients and the Ori were the same people, just with different beliefs.
                sigpic

Spoiler:
                Hehe

Comment

I thought that the ancients and the Ori were the same people, just with different beliefs.
                  Well yes they are both Alteran, but they split into two different groups.
                  I mean you wouldn't call an Ori an Ancient and vice versa would you?

The point I was trying to make was that the Ori created the plague, which killed off most of the Ancients in the Milky Way, but the ones remaining on Earth and perhaps planets that weren't suffering from the plague in the Milky Way had to escape it, so they built Atlantis to carry their race away and left.
                  The Ori wouldn't need to escape an almost galactic wide plague that they created and they also didn't believe in science but faith.

Atlantis wasn't built til after the Ancients came to the Milky Way, so the complete knowledge of how to make a city ship may not have been open to the Ori unless they had ascended at this point, or found the Ancient's notes on how to build such technologies.

Comment

yes, but i don't think the Ori stole the ancient ships and weapons. they probably shared before the split.
                    sigpic

Spoiler:
                    Hehe

Comment

yes, but i don't think the Ori stole the ancient ships and weapons. they probably shared before the split.
                      From what we've seen of the Ancients in Ark Of Truth they appeared to be conducting themselves as a secret group, so perhaps science was against the rules, some of them may have been discovered by the Ori, then the Ori could claim any technology they deemed useful for their own purposes.
                      If the Ori greatly outnumbered the Ancients, why would the Ancients give what they knew to the Ori by choice and if it was the only advantage they had over them?

Comment

they lived as one people, and the differences grew over time. i guess that when ascention came in to the picture, the religious majority of the alterans thought they should rule the world. the ancients, the scientist, disagreed.
                        sigpic

Spoiler:
                        Hehe

Comment

they lived as one people, and the differences grew over time. i guess that when ascention came in to the picture, the religious majority of the alterans thought they should rule the world. the ancients, the scientist, disagreed.
                          I think if the Ancients had come out and started showing what they'd learned to the general population the Ori would have stopped them there at the beginning and they'd never have even had the chance to develop the tech they had, let alone make it to the Milky Way and start create our race.

Comment

we don't know how big the Ori galaxy is, but it didn't have a gate network. that means trying to find one ship with ancients, manually, in a galaxy that potentially has millions of star systems... not the easiest thing to do. once the ancients couldn't hide any more, the left the galaxy.
                            sigpic

Spoiler:
                            Hehe

Comment

How come the ancients went through all that trubble to protect and hide atlantis, but let the cityship from "the tower" decay completley, if those were the only two? and it does seem kinda unlikey that we have been exploring the galaxy for 5 years and only have been able to find these two ships if there were more... and shouldn't there be some left i MW? atlantis is suposed to be the greatest technological achevement of the ancients, so if there are two, there should be more.
                              We'll probably never know the story behind the cityship in The Tower, that is, unless TPTB decide to tackle it, which I doubt. We can speculate endlessly on it however.

As to whether there were any other cityships, I'm guessing there probably were. I recently re-watched "The Pegasus Project", and I discovered the following in this scene between Daniel and Morgan Le Fey:

INT—ATLANTIS LIBRARY HOLO-ROOM

[An image of the Milky Way galaxy spins slowly below the ceiling.]

DANIEL
                              Okay, that's Earth, and that is Taonas.

MORGAN LE FAY
                              Praclarush Taonas was one of the earliest Lantian cities. It was abandoned when the inhabitants learned their sun was nearing the end of its life.
                              From this we know that Procralush Taonas was a city and not just an outpost, Since no traces of a city were found when SG1 visited there ("Lost City") it's not unreasonable to assume that PT was a cityship that left the planet before it's sun went nova, leaving just the outpost. Were there more cityships? Maybe. Read on.

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post
                              I believe that if any city ship existed in the MW the Goa'uld would have founded it by now unless it's on a planet without a gate (like Taonas), in which case our chances of finding it are extremely small.
                              Not necessarily. We learned in "Torment of Tantalus" that many worlds with gates were never charted by the Goa'uld, including the meeting place of the four great races on Ernest's planet. (Heliopolis). Also a city would not likely be on a planet without a gate because, like Atlantis, the gate is usually inside the city itself. (It could have been removed of course.) But then SG1 never once gated into any such city, so that just leaves us to speculate further as to where these cities might be?

Atlantis was designed to rest on land or water, but since it has underwater jumper bays, it seems it was optimally designed to float on water. Perhaps the place to look for other cityships is on planets with large oceans. Maybe some rest on the bottoms of oceans.

Originally posted by Mclean View Post
                              Back on topic I think Atlantis is unique because it was the Capital of the Ancient empire.
                              Like that idea.

When Daniel read the Ancient text in the book in Avalon part 2 he said that after thousands of years they came to a great belt of Stars which they named Avalon (which I think was the Ancient's name for the Milky Way) and created many Stargates.
                              But I don't think it's ever been implied that they've settled elsewhere in the Universe outside of the Milky Way or Pegasus.
                              They could I guess have made small settlements in a number of galaxies along their journey from the Ori home galaxy to the Milky Way.
                              Yes, it's hard to speculate as to what happened during those thousands of years of travel. They could have made stops along the way, as you said. Were they fleeing with the Ori in pursuit during the whole time? Were there other enclaves of Alterans besides those we saw in Ark? Did they bring cityships with them or were they built after arriving MW? Or did they arrive MW in the same ship we saw in Ark of Truth?

perhaps we'll find out more in Universe.
                              Let's hope.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              One thing i would have loved to find out, is why the wraith never obliderated the tower city ship...
                              When the Ancients first occupied Pegasus the Wraith didn't exist. They evolved millions of years later and the war took place during the last few hundreds years of the Ancients' stay there. The Tower city could have been abandoned and forgotten long before the time of the Wraith.

Originally posted by Tanith View Post
                              We know the Ancients landed Atlantis in an ocean so it's possible that a cityship would be set down in a planets ocean if there wasn't a landing outpost already in place. SG teams don't seem to take a boat with them so the chances of them finding a city on the water is close to 0. It would take a ship flying to each planet and scanning them for cities...and that would take a while.
                              Yes, oceans are the place to look. If there still floating they shouldn't be that hard to detect from space. If they're under the water, that makes it more difficult.
                              My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Or maybe the database is so large that they haven't been through it all yet.
                                It doesn't have to be hidden.
                                ya...im not trying to mock or anything, but i kinda get the feeling that the database has a "google" feature-type in cityship/atlantis class vessel/zpm hiding places and somthings gotta pop up
                                MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                                I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Working...
                                X