The Ancients. Who are they really???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
    The shield on Proclarush was not active; there were no power readings. The shell of rock came down not because the ZPM was unplugged, but rather because they ringed through it and destroyed its structural integrity. The shield had probably been down for centuries.
    (Note also that Proclarush is the name of the planet, following the "Terre" naming convention. Taonas would be the name of the outpost/former city)
    There! ZPMs don't last for millions of years. The shield couldn't have been up because the atmosphere inside was toxic, and everything looked dead.

About willful submission to a dictator- if it's done as a result of deception and in ignorance, it's not justified. The system under the Roman Empire was much less about tyranny (only in the eyes of its opponents- the senators) but more so about security, honor, strength.
    Last edited by Ltcolshepjumper; 28 October 2008, 04:44 PM.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

well remember:

1: they ring down
      2: jack activates the chair, terra atlantus, etc
      3: he takes off his helmet: a biodome has been activated.
      4: he puts it on again, removes the ZPM.
      5:the dome collapses.

so its not an incident.

Comment

Well, would you think that ZPM's are so great if you knew that its full name is actually Zero Point Hussein Module?

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
          Well, would you think that ZPM's are so great if you knew that its full name is actually Zero Point Hussein Module?
          Pfft, Iraq can't invent anything.

Comment

Finger
            Iraq (Mesopatanians/Babylonians) invented irrigation, windmills, batteries, engineering....... they spoke and wrote in their own language while the other cultures were painting cave walls.

Comment

and asphalt.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                Finger
                Iraq (Mesopatanians/Babylonians) invented irrigation, windmills, batteries, engineering....... they spoke and wrote in their own language while the other cultures were painting cave walls.
                I don't need a history lesson, history is one of my obsessions. While Euopeans were stuck in the Middle Ages the rest of the world (well, the civilized world) retained the knowledge previously discovered and improved upon it, especially the Middle Eastern countries. I know that.

It was an off-handed joke at the present (and recent) state that Iraq has been in. The Middle East isn't exactly a hotbed lately for innovation, excluding Israel and MAYBE Iran.

Obviously an entire civilization's history cannot be summed up in one ignorant statement, I was joking.

Comment

Hmm? Curious...so since evolution tells us how all things strive to survive, it therefore tells us nothing about a need to survive?

Odd argument there.

Of course Evolution speaks to morality; any worldview does, and Evolution is most certainly a worldview. It is really quite simple; Natural Selection pushes all things to survive; therefore, we should attempt to do things which help us survive. This is clearly a "moral" statement. It is inescapable.
                  Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, and I know it is something of a bother, but this cannot go unchallenged.

Evolution does not tell us how "all things strive to survive," evolution tells us that individuals of a species with traits that allow them to produce more descendants will eventually out compete their "weaker" brethren. Is this a good thing? To that question, the theory of evolution has no answer. Indeed, ethologist and evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins argues that "we should not derive our values from Darwinism, unless it is with a negative sign."

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                  That is not entirely true. Our behaviours are influenced by our evolution. So certain notions of right and wrong emerged because they increase chances of survival. Morality to some extend is the result of our evolution as a social animal.
                  You misunderstand me. While our evolution might influence our concepts of morality, the Theory of Evolution should not.

Wraith would be different because we have souls; its exactly the same problem as Zipacna had in his rationalization of the Goa'uld; animals aren't rational, humans are.
                  Actually, Genesis 1:30 seems to imply that all animals have souls: "And to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the sky, and to everything that moves on the earth, within which there is a living soul, every green herb is for food.
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                  - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                  - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                  - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

I don't recall that particular translation (then again, I may just have forgotten), but this is an excellent time to distinguish something. All living things have souls; if you read my posts, you will see that I distinguish between "rational" and "irrational" beings. Life implies a soul, but only humans have rational souls because only humans were created in God's own image.

Still, MMD said to stop this conversation, so I will refrain from replying to the rest of the post.
                    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

I don't recall that particular translation (then again, I may just have forgotten), but this is an excellent time to distinguish something. All living things have souls; if you read my posts, you will see that I distinguish between "rational" and "irrational" beings. Life implies a soul, but only humans have rational souls because only humans were created in God's own image.

Still, MMD said to stop this conversation, so I will refrain from replying to the rest of the post.
                      Everything that lives has a soul. However, there is a difference between a soul and a spirit. Animals do not have a spirit.

What was this thread about again? Last I remember, it was about repositories. And something about the Nox and Ascended's noninterference policies. Oh, that's what it was. Yeah, I remember something about evil triumphs when the good do nothing. Yeah, deception sounds like evil. Oppression seems evil. Letting an entire galaxy fall to an oppressive, power hungry, genocidal enemy seems pretty evil to me. Isolationism never works. The Ascended feared becoming corrupt. Possibly because they thought people would start to worship them. Hmmm. They didn't have to actually show themselves. Maybe the whole belief-energy thing is involuntary. For the Nox, it seems as though they may have possessed some advanced technology, but they seem to possess only a little tech. They are advanced physiologically, with the ability to "cloak" things, heal, and live for a very long time. Maybe if their isolationism was to survive. They don't really seem like the type of race that would form an alliance with anyone.
                      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

the nox have advanced so much that they can allow themselves to live as they live

Comment

But allowing others to suffer (needlessly) while you live in peace and comfort...

Never mind; off topic.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                            Yeah, I remember something about evil triumphs when the good do nothing.
                            However, do not forget "power corrupts" and "the evil in my subconscious is too strong to resist. The only way to win is to deny it battle."

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                            The Ascended feared becoming corrupt. Possibly because they thought people would start to worship them. Hmmm. They didn't have to actually show themselves. Maybe the whole belief-energy thing is involuntary.
                            Maybe the Ancients realize that they are "human" and thus can fall prey to temptation: if they make an exception to the rule of noninterference for a good cause, what is to stop them from intefering when their cause is not so just?

Oops, sorry about that!

However, if the rest is okay, then I would like to make the following point (if it is not, feel free to reply anyway, as the error and guilt are mine):

All living things have souls; if you read my posts, you will see that I distinguish between "rational" and "irrational" beings. Life implies a soul, but only humans have rational souls because only humans were created in God's own image.
                            But if humans have rational souls because we were created in the image of God, and the Wraith were "created" in the image of man, then would not the Wraith also have rational souls as they were, however indirectly, created in the image of God as well?
                            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Speaking of the Major, where'd he go? Major?. . . Major. . .?
                              My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                                But if humans have rational souls because we were created in the image of God, and the Wraith were "created" in the image of man, then would not the Wraith also have rational souls as they were, however indirectly, created in the image of God as well?
                                I probably shouldn't reply to this, but if you look at my debate on previous pages with Crazy Tom, I explained my position on that point. (which is actually a good point)

And "the Major," I believe, was on a couple of days ago. I don't know why he didn't pop in.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X