Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    The idea is good. How ever to truly do something like that would need to do many different shots which would require many different models most of them not ships. In fact unless you plan to take this thing way into the future, their would only require a few ship models, perhaps a 304, 301s and a couple enemies ships.

Stargate was rarely about ships until the later seasons. And this is where most of the modelling would need to go in to planet environment, characters modelling and special effects, buildings, hand held weapons, other devices. Modelling is just the beginning voice recording, and sequencing it with animation. Animation and rigging of the characters, texturing all the models. Compositing these altogether. Then here the big thing rendering all this out and editing this together, adding sound together. All before you would have to write a script, storyboard it all.

So many people have tried to do this, few have succeeded.

Fan series would be to big a project for the first project a small may a five to 10 minutes video would be more achievable. Once many of the assets are created scaling it up to a large film or fan

It would be fun to do through.
    It could just be a series with ships and voice-over acting. I'd watch it given the quality of models here on GateWorld.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I had an idea for a new challenge.

BACKSTORY:

Basically this is a model challenge that is based on the technology of another current country. Lets say that a peice of alien technology was found on earth at some point in the last two hundred years. the country that found this didn't know what to do with it but they studied it in secret, much the way the US and Russia studied the stargate and DHD.

When the SGC disclosed to other countries its activities this country was able to make some breakthroughs on thier current research.

CHALLENGE:

Design something that has been developed by another country in secret over the past few years. This could be an advanced fighter jet. Hand held device or whatever. It must be hybrid"ish" in apperance and have a research history including activity before and after disclosure of the stargate program.

If someone likes the idea please take it and run.... I'm new so i don't think I should be moderating this. So this is my contribution as a new member.

I hope you all like it.

Comment

Originally posted by MkF_Smity View Post

BACKSTORY:

Basically this is a model challenge that is based on the technology of another current country. Lets say that a peice of alien technology was found on earth at some point in the last two hundred years. the country that found this didn't know what to do with it but they studied it in secret, much the way the US and Russia studied the stargate and DHD.

When the SGC disclosed to other countries its activities this country was able to make some breakthroughs on thier current research.

CHALLENGE:

Design something that has been developed by another country in secret over the past few years. This could be an advanced fighter jet. Hand held device or whatever. It must be hybrid"ish" in apperance and have a research history including activity before and after disclosure of the stargate program.

If someone likes the idea please take it and run.... I'm new so i don't think I should be moderating this. So this is my contribution as a new member.

I hope you all like it.

Sounds good, would fit in with Britian cause we had Merlin around for a while so im sure there is some ancient tech about somewhere (other than avalon)

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

that sounds like fun! I'm not gonna win but i am gonna try to participate.

I've worked on a model, but I dont know if its ok, it looks a bit trekky, not truly stargate like. I need help on that, a bit, i guess...

Battle Bird1b.jpg

Battle Bird1.jpg

www.darkarmada.nl
          www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Strange... getting an e-mail notification ot a post here by Boberth.... yet it's not appearing here....

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by MkF_Smity View Post
              Spoiler:

BACKSTORY:

CHALLENGE:

I hope you all like it.
              The Fifth Challenge

Basically this is a model challenge that is based on the technology of another current country. Lets say that a piece of alien technology was found on earth at some point in the last two hundred years. the country that found this didn't know what to do with it but they studied it in secret, much the way the US and Russia studied the Stargate and DHD.

When the SGC disclosed to other countries its activities this country was able to make some breakthroughs on their current research.

Design something that has been developed by another country in secret over the past few years. This could be an advanced fighter jet. Hand held device or whatever. It must be hybrid"ish" in appearance and have a research history including activity before and after disclosure of the Stargate program.

This will be due on March 20th 2008 at midnight EST
              sigpic
              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

how late is midnight est in gmt??

i wouldnt know at all.

anyway, must it obviously be stargate, or could it look totally diff?

Battle Bird1b.jpg

Battle Bird1.jpg

please tell me what could be changed, i wouldnt know. And dont start about the interior, for i cant do that.

www.darkarmada.nl
                www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Nice challenge.

I do not know whether I actually have time to do it.

I am thinking of something like a more practical version of the ancient teaching device. A holographic learning aid built by Merlin to teach Arthur and the his knights. The device would be built into a underground complex. With some sought of central altar and control panel. It was disable by Merlin once it was taught everything the knights needed to know. The discover of Atlantis and the naquada generators and controle interface and crystal technology we bargain for allowing access to merlin cavern is what enable us to repair the device and power it.

no screenies yet. And I do not know if I actually will model it. But the Americans going to be shock when we build a vessel with the info we recover.

Comment

Only been working on this for about 45 minutes but its going to be a german hybrid fighter.

Spoiler:

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
                      how late is midnight est in gmt??

i wouldnt know at all.

anyway, must it obviously be stargate, or could it look totally diff?

[ATTACH]7979[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7980[/ATTACH]

please tell me what could be changed, i wouldnt know. And dont start about the interior, for i cant do that.
                      May be some tail fins on the back. Show some engines. Give it some missiles.

Comment

Sorry for posting yet again, anyone know where I can images of the ancient language. I do not want screen shots, just a list of characters/symbols. Something I possible use to create textures, with having to recreate them myself.

Comment

Like Knowles2 i have no renders yet.... but i'm working on somehting for this one.....Thinking along the lines of us Brits finding a Jumper stashed by Merlin somewhere and building a shuttle like ship using tech form the Jumper. Engines, cloaking sustems, Mental controls, ETC.....

I'm also gonna try a new style of modelling with this one as well.... Got a lot of work cut our for me now

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
                            Like Knowles2 i have no renders yet.... but i'm working on somehting for this one.....Thinking along the lines of us Brits finding a Jumper stashed by Merlin somewhere and building a shuttle like ship using tech form the Jumper. Engines, cloaking sustems, Mental controls, ETC.....

I'm also gonna try a new style of modelling with this one as well.... Got a lot of work cut our for me now
                            What modelling techniques are you using for this one.,

Comment

up until now i've not used MeshSmooth at all in Max.... i'm gonna try and use it on this one though

Comment

well I'm glad you all picked up on this one. If I may enter even though it was my idea originally I think that I will do a hybrid Staff Cannon / German rifle. Basically starting with failed MG 42 hybrids and evolving over the last 60 70 years into a bullpup style energy weapon.

This was inspired by a tread on infantry weapons. Originally i thought of a ATV module equipped with jumper stlye cloaks and conventional missles/ later add on are point defense rail guns.

Lets see what we get.

Comment

Working...
                                X