Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nyrde View Post
    hey Knowles2 is this atleast a tiny bit better seeing its my first time and im only using google sketchup and im against ppls that have alot more experience than me lol. and also what Modeling progrmas does everyone use i need something better thx.
    Very good so far. I think you should continue the along this line. The whole idea for these challenges was to push people in their skills and for a newbie you seem to of done that.

That is a very good question what does everyone use, they all use different software, most must be technically be paid for, through I will say most of these companies know that students and hobbyist cannot afford them and well I doubt their will be a clamp down any time soon.
    Blender is completly free opensource software, Sketchup has a free version and a pro version, the difference from what I can see is the export features and some extra tools, nothing really to do with modeling.
    Then their Maya, which I and Maniac use, Lightwave is a other one, cinema 4d I use this one to. Then theirs 3d Max. Their are other like Rhino, Zbrush and many other programs, this is one the area where their is plenty of competition.

I will give one piece of advice, try them all, they all got essentially the same modelling capabilities, through some got deeper learning curves than others. Blender got the longest learning curve in terms of the user interface, and doing anything just by playing around seem impossible. Maya you got the longest learning curve in the pure amount of features their are.
    Last edited by knowles2; 26 January 2009, 11:21 PM.

Comment

is there any chance for a newbie like me to win the modeling comp or not
      Check Out:http://gateworldfleets.wikia.com/wiki/Gateworld_Fleets

Teal'c: Undomesticated Equines Couldn't Tear Me Away.

Comment

Do not know, it all depends on what the other entries into the challenges are like and what the judges think.

I will not state if you do or not until all entries are in, and even then it would be unfair for me to second guest the judges opinions.

I personally do not see the purpose of the challenges as winning but giving people set rules for them to model and to push people to improve their skills.
        Last edited by knowles2; 26 January 2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

nice way of looking at it thx

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrde View Post
            is there any chance for a newbie like me to win the modeling comp or not
            I won the second challenge and that was my first time modelling. I started as someone kept asking for tutorials and saying they couldn't enter as they didn't know how to do it. This thread is not really about winning its about getting help from other like minded people, in our case; people with more experience who can see how things could look better. Like knowles did with the platform suggestion.

Did you have a look at the terrain tool Terragen? Knowles put a few useful links earlier in this thread...

sigpic

Comment

Well actually i have no idea how to apply terragen to my 3d models little own use it properly and in that case if any one has any ideas on how to improve my model please do express your ideas.

Comment

I am going spend the next couple hours figuring out Terragen, if I figure it out I will let you know.

Comment

Here's my first draft. Still some things to fix. And I have not even touched Terragen.
                  Attached Files
                  La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
                  L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

that is very cool design

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                      Here's my first draft. Still some things to fix. And I have not even touched Terragen.

ohh looks like skytown from metroid prime 3

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                        ohh looks like skytown from metroid prime 3
                        Never played the game.

Before I forget, here's some backstory :

Spoiler:
                        Amazing view on PX-XXX (don't know what to put here) : multiple structures link all over the planet forming a ring.

Who made such things? why is there nothing else on the planet? what's their purpose? Are they a weapon, some kind of device or a tribute to long forgotten alien god? is it even dangerous?

SG teams tried to analyze them but some kind of energy field surround each structure. Dr. McKay has found so far only one solution which is to use the only equipment able to pass through any forcefield : a Kull warrior armor.

Will it work?

About the figures, I gotta think. Maybe when I'll use Terragen.

Comment

Originally posted by lord groovy View Post
                          Looks a little like paper lanterns adorning a festival, streamed from roof to roof. Alot ofnew people to this challenge, the thread will soon need its own forum. lol

sigpic

Comment

little tool here:

planetgen

creates SG planet names.

ex. P98-436

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Here goes my edited version :

Spoiler:
                              Amazing view on P11-525 : multiple structures link all over the planet forming a ring. Like paper lanterns on Chinese New Year's Eve.

Who made such things?
                              Why is there nothing else on the planet?
                              What's their purpose?
                              Are they a weapon, some kind of immense decoration or a tribute to long forgotten alien god?
                              Are they even dangerous?

SG teams tried to analyze them but some kind of energy field surround each structure. They are completely out of reach...

Dr. McKay has found so far only one solution to find their secret. He thought about using the only equipment known to be able to go harmlessly through any forcefield : a Kull warrior armor.

Will it work?

Way better?

Comment

looks more professional

Comment

Working...
                                X